The Duncan Trussell Family Hour
| Tom Rhodes
  • 
The Duncan Trussell Family Hour  
  | Tom Rhodes The Duncan Trussell Family Hour | Tom Rhodes
    http://duncantrussell.com/tom-rhodes/

The Duncan Trussell Family Hour! Where comedian Duncan Trussell explores the outer reaches of the multiverse.

• WORKER BEES WE ARE
    BUILDING BUILDINGS TALL
    AND OVER TIME
    YOU WILL FIND
    A MACHINE RUNS US ALL.

a poem i wrote just now dedicated to the first few mins of the podcast...

bye!
  • Oh man, these intros just keep getting better. danke furchtlosen Anführer.
    "I got stuck in a cravarse on the moun-tain."
  • Hey, I am stoned, and that whole "we're in a simulation" intro, with some string theory to back it up, really did just shift my perception of reality. I've heard that clip before with Neil DeGrass Tyson in it. But the way you presented the two clips, made me almost loose it there for a few minutes. I laughed for a couple minutes straight, but not that fun type of belly laugh, more like oh shit this ride just got really crazy type of uneasy laugh.
  • duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah
    @clearlyhazed That means you get it!
  • Duncan, you're the man.
    Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see and hear. Since the initial publication of the charted electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one millionth of reality.
  • AngGAngG
    Hrair
    I'm a happy girl. Just got home from my meditation group and BAM!!! New Ep. of DTFH. Life is good at this moment. And that's all there is right? Love U all even if U don't love or even like me. Hugs, kisses, or air high fives if your uncomfortable with human contact. Love, me- Angie-Angela-AngG-@beagleandpup
  • Cool! I'll save it. Something to look forward to when up at the crack of dawn ala Joey Diaz.
  • I'd like to upload whats left of my brain to my old World Of Warcraft server. I'd also like to upload my dick into the mouths of all the young virgins in waiting on the Mormon planet Kolob.
  • Would people be less cunty if they all realized this was a computer simulation, or would life turn into hell?
    photo lao-tzu-field1copysmall.jpg
  • i need to read the myth of sisyphus. sounds really good.
  • duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah

Would people be less cunty if they all realized this was a computer simulation, or would life turn into hell?

Depends on the programer.
  • What a great episode! Also, I liked the Daimoku. Thanks!
    Post edited by llamacidalmaniac at 2012-07-31 02:41:32
  • I was recently wandering about Skyrim when I came upon a woodcutter in the forest. I casually relayed this business about living in a computer simulation to him. He immediately buried his own axe into his head. He was still alive and screaming. He begged me to destroy him with my Mage fireballs, and I obliged him. After emptying his pockets of gold, a shitty ring, and some skeever nards, I drug his crispy corpse into my house and set him next to the book case in the study. He now sits as a reminder that we are living in a simulation created by beings who live in a simulation created by beings who live in a simulation created by beings living in a simulation. As above so below. Amen.
    fear the known
  • duncan said:

Would people be less cunty if they all realized this was a computer simulation, or would life turn into hell?

Depends on the programer.

Did the programmer give us freewill? The idea of programmers is scarier, then God to me. That means, they could actually "punish" us in a simulated hell, for whatever arbitrary reason they want.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    The worst games are the ones where if you die, you have to start over from the beginning.
  • I think eventually if we get put into robots or computers we will stop reproducing and live forever. Then we gain infinite knowledge after that everybody knows everything about everyone. We all know the same information and finally join into singularity.
    http://vegasclubs.webs.com/ Any DTFH friends coming to Las Vegas hit up my website for guest list reservations !
  • The most interesting part of the idea that we could transfer our consciousness to a computer is that we would first have to understand consciousness. I for one can't wait for a scientific explanation, if such a thing is possible. :)
  • Re: Universe composed of computer code.
    Everyone should read The Information by James Gleick. A pop-science introduction to Claude Shannon's information theory (the "computer" code written in the 1940's). The book gets deep enough to describe how genes are information processors and quantum computing.
  • I don't mean to sound like the annoying fact-nazi, but something Tom said about the reason for the synthesizing of LSD made my brain screech and according to Wikipedia this is what they were doing:
    "(...) The main intention of the synthesis was to obtain a respiratory and circulatory stimulant (an analeptic) with no effects on the uterus in analogy to nikethamide (which is also a diethylamide) by introducing this moiety to lysergic acid. It was set aside for five years, until April 16, 1943, when Hofmann decided to reexamine it."
    So, they were researching a "respiratory and circulatory stimulant" and not a "truth serum".

Cheers,
    The fact-nazi
  • Definitely looking forward to Jordan Burroughs shooting for gold in freestyle wrestling next week!
    Gargoyles, garglin' oil
  • the rap about mass media replacing religion as the modern opiate of the masses filled me with that punishingly sad elation that you get when a previously-privately held theory is confirmed almost word-for-word by thinkers who you never conferred with (that's the elation) but then you realize that you desperately wanted that theory DISconfirmed by thinkers you never conferred with because it means that the lumbering forces of darkness will always always always triumph (that's the punishing sadness) and the best we can do is make fun of them together while trying not to let them squish us.

good thing i'm just a pale nervous program flitting about the pacific northwest giggling like a buzzsaw while i push my boulder back up the hill. thanks for giving me a reason not to let it squish me today.
  • the rap about mass media replacing religion as the modern opiate of the masses filled me with that punishingly sad elation that you get when a previously-privately held theory is confirmed almost word-for-word by thinkers who you never conferred with (that's the elation) but then you realize that you desperately wanted that theory DISconfirmed by thinkers you never conferred with because it means that the lumbering forces of darkness will always always always triumph (that's the punishing sadness) and the best we can do is make fun of them together while trying not to let them squish us.

good thing i'm just a pale nervous program flitting about the pacific northwest giggling like a buzzsaw while i push my boulder back up the hill. thanks for giving me a reason not to let it squish me today.

What, me worry?
  • Weird...I bought Camus's The Fall last week at a flea market. Now I'm not sure I want to read it. Anyone else read it?
    Post edited by ehhrrwal at 2012-07-31 17:24:24
    Gargoyles, garglin' oil
  • Did anyone find the simulation theory clip online?
  • Loved the intro!
  • I just sat down for dinner and listened to the first few minutes of the podcast with my fiancé. She just looked at me and said she has always believed we are part of giant experiment to see when and how long it would take for us to destroy everything, or just ourselves. I had to stop eating. Now I have to go back to work (on lunch break / dinner). Luckily I work from home (computer guy) I had to smoke a big fat bowl to calm down. I was on the border of having a panic attack. I can't look at anything the same now. Thank you Duncan for presenting the information that shattered my perception of everything.
  • brilliant episode, if duncan sat down with bostrom, gates, or NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON it might cure the pinkness of my 3rd eye.

(((-_-)))
  • Had to pull out that amazing intro to easily share with others. Here it is:

Enjoys camaraderie, fellowship, and bringing it. https://twitter.com/JahHills
  • Got super stoned and heard Baphomet introduce itself to me, banished it
    with respect for their interest, but asked for solitude nonetheless.
    Not sure it counts as much as Duncan's but should I think this was just
    being super blazed?
    Post edited by Chaote at 2012-08-01 03:44:11
  • I've always felt like we are in some kind of simulation. This just made me reinforce my beliefs
  • @steve: nice german but this is the right way : DANKE FURCHTLOSER ANFÜHRER!!! love from Germany
  • another idea thrown onto the pile...... one day we'll start fitting all this shit together to get some kind of starting point where we can eventually start to understand SOMETHING.
    Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise ~ Tommy Douglas
  • I had a shroom trip once where that feeling of being programmed was presented in a realistic manner that I've had a problem disregarding recently. By taking these shrooms I had somehow made the program glitch, recoded my own projection, and could see the world in it's basic format. I felt like I was being introduced to something deep and true, but I couldn't take myself to seriously on account of the shrooms in my system. No one wants to be that prophetical "tripper", but certain realities have been presented to me that I can't deny. At first the concept of my life being a simulation, just programmed information, seems depressing and makes everything feel pointless or artificial. But then I think of how much can be accomplished by highlighting the positive experiences one can have with our material existence in this "machine". There's no harm in believing this theory despite the negative reaction one would get from skeptics. When paired with the scientific method it becomes more of a legitimate argument for our existence, but coming out of the mouth of a kid who's tripped acid a few times it just seems like an exclamation of insanity. Either way, I praise the scientists, mathematicians, and great thinkers, who devote their time to this research. We need more people like this, studying the depths of our conciousness. @duncan thanks for presenting these thoughts and this community to me, it's been a fucking blast.
  • KHAN said:

The worst games are the ones where if you die, you have to start over from the beginning.

That allows you to learn and improve (so long as you remember what you did in each life) None the less, that would surely lose it's novelty pretty quick. Do we really want to know what's going to happen in the future? As alluring as that sounds, I don't think I do, as it would make life much less interesting and quite possibly, infinitely boring. So I'd have to agree with you, unless you restart the game as well as your mind. Then the ride is something new and novel each time.

• Anyone have a link or name of the chant at the end of this podcast? I'd like to get the same one Duncan put up there. No matter how many times I sing along, I still can't translate what I think they're saying into english letters, or better yet words.
  • Anyone have a link or name of the chant at the end of this podcast? I'd like to get the same one Duncan put up there. No matter how many times I sing along, I still can't translate what I think they're saying into english letters, or better yet words.

@FreedomOfThought it took me this long to find a solid link. I'm pretty sure this is the recording duncan uses. I'm stoked to start implementing this mindfullness into my morning ritual.

Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-08-01 18:58:10
  • I LOVED the intro. Made me contemplate a lot of things. I think the fact that Duncan used the ambient background guitar made it sink in even more... Keep that up Duncan! Anyone know where the guitar is from? I'm sure it's just a garage band loop or something, but it was really awesome. And the chant at the end was even more awesome. Fast forwarded to it today to calm myself down at work from my annoying ass co-workers.s

It's kinda funny, cause the night before this podcast came out, as I was falling asleep, I was having a thought/ revelation about everything being a simulation that is projected from the 4th dimension, hence why we can't see the origination of everything. It continued on and on and really made so much sense, but I eventually fell asleep. Now those thoughts are lost forever in the 4th dimensional abyss. DAMMIT!

Oh well, time to hit the bed and try to retrieve those lost thoughts.

Oh and P.S. @Duncan, we really need some podcasts with you just lecturing about your thoughts. Don't get me wrong, all your guests are fucking awesome, and I love them all, but I also love getting lost when you take us on a crazy ass journey through your head!
    Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.
    -Carl Sagan
  • Here's the link to the interview with S. James Gates Jr and Neil Tyson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LCVknKUJ4 I've listened to it 5 times so far and still trying to wrap my head around it.
  • This was a great Episode, but I have some quibbles:
    Mostly because I went to the TinyChat and was called a "FAG" and someone banned me. Quite the family you're building. Such a difference between Duncan and his guests and his fans. It was just a random moderator that didn't like me for NO REASON. Also, highsci was slandering me , calling me a cop when I've been listening to this show from the beginning.

Your fans are turning into jerks Duncan.

I'll have a better review of this AMAZING Episode.Glad to hear something REAl. It's ALL HATE IN THE TinyChat. If you're a Duncan fan, go on the forums but NOT the tinychat! They will libel and slander you and call you a fag.
  • This was a great episode. The best non-Joey Diaz episode. Tough to rank. BUT, just the talk about authenticity, and how well-educated yet funny Tom Rhodes was, and they got deep. And I know those perfect sunny days in LA. And I loved the chanting at the end, thank you for putting that on their. It's like Duncan gave us a Spiritual Exercise.

To explain about Duncan's TinyChat: "The moderators" are out of control. I'm going to stand up and say that yes I am a Catholic, but so fucking what. At least I'm authentic. When I asked the TinyChat to please stop libeling me, saying I'm a cop just because I'm at law school. To make it even uglier, after that "proved them right"(WTF?), I said I'm in the field of Autism advocating not Prosecutor, or anti-Marijuana, I had been IN the rooms MANY times before. Once I gave a rap about Occult knowledge that happens to be in my family, but so what? I was called a "Crazy Catholic Illuminati." Oh, some girl thought I looked cute. Then i SAID "ok i'll leave." ONE person was fortuitous in saying "Brandon, he's just joking. This is the Internet. It's all hate...

" But I ain't got time for negative Internet hate, so I was going to leave. But as I was leaving, just to show some sort of nerd authority, they asked me to broadcast again, which I did and was called a "Fag." by a member., then banned, having no chance to retort.

Point of this, my friends, and real Purple Popes out there: Don't waste your time at the tinychat unless you want a litigious morning. It's Internet bully/nerds who just drink all day and talk about being gay. There are notable exceptions: @KHAN was always cool. Prochi, Kyran my Scottish brother, Orgone, a dude filled with good knowledge. And Carly, quietly waiting for Duncan to show up and being surrounded by these dudes...I give you the most props. But we never did too much talkin' anyway, so don't think twice, tinychat, it's alright...RIP Jonah Lerner (a Dylanologist exposed these FAKE "experts" and pop psychologists).

I wish this would never happen in Duncan's name, but it did. And watch out for Copyright on that Alan Watts clip man, you never know who might know him. Whoever set up this TinyChat or the moderator who called me on just call me a fag (when the majority of them are bi-sexual Canadiens) represents "the Turd" of the Family Hour. Whoever you are, you are a pathetic, bullying, jerk and are contrary to EVERYTHING Duncan espouses in his show. The prisoners are in charge of the prison there. LUCKILY, it's "Unofficial."

Res Ipsa Loquitur
    Love to the Real Family,
    B
  • rant

You got called a fag, on the internetz?

Hare hare krishna hare hare peace and love breh

• Gotta agree with many of the comments. The people in tinychat are worse than most on the Rogan Board. It'd be different if they were funny, but they are just dead inside.
  • ladychef said:

Oh and P.S. @Duncan, we really need some podcasts with you just lecturing about your thoughts. Don't get me wrong, all your guests are fucking awesome, and I love them all, but I also love getting lost when you take us on a crazy ass journey through your head!

@duncan, I was so happy to hear you say that the podcast is becoming your primary obsession. Don't get me wrong- your standup is wonderful, hilarious, amazing- but when you get on the podcast mic, some other level shit happens. And I totally understand why you would feel funny about doing solo podcasts- sitting alone in a room monologizing would embarrass the hell out of me, too. But I selfishly hope that you become ego-crazed, conceited, hubristic, and self-aggrandizing enough to start believing that we need an hour our so of "just Duncan" time every once and a while. It pains me to think that the destruction of your sweet, sweet character is what will be required to feed this beast that you've created, but here we are, and we're hungry.

Thirded. Cute picture chef :)
  • @BrandonYoung

I feel you partially. I've had some pretty enlightening conversations in the tinychat, and some pretty horrible ones at that too. I'd be lying if I said I didn't fuel the fire to some extent. I can be a dick. There's some pretty awesome people who flow in and out of the space though, it seems to make it all worth it eventually. In my opinion the tinychat is less a reflection of the Family than a reflection of the type of shit you have to sift through on the internet. that's what saddens me to some extent. There's a reason people avoid the forums, and there's a reason people avoid the tinychat. I think we could use a little more folks frequenting the tinychat though, the mods will always fuck with the new guy. It's more playful than malicious most of the time, it's sort of their way of showing you your own reflection. This is getting off-topic
  • internet is srs bizness

tinychat is srs bizness
  • Amazing episode. As is getting to be par for the course, I listened twice, in its entirety. Tom Rhodes rules, ok?
    Post edited by RevoltoftheApes at 2012-08-02 12:26:32
    Evolved as One. Totale Gedankenübertragung, dude. "REVOLTOFTHEAPES."
  • The ever increasing quality really shows how into doing the podcast Dunc Truss really is. But I don't want the podcast to take away from any comedy writing he might otherwise be doing because the world really needs more things like "Songs For Our Dogs."

However, if I had to choose between the two, I would rather keep getting new podcasts every week. I definitely feel like listening to the the DTFM enriches my day. I like knowing that there are other people in the world having these sort of talks and I have a few friends that I continue the conversation with after Duncan has signed off.
    YouMonstersArePeople.com
  • hup
    Post edited by MagicMouth at 2013-12-29 09:56:24
  • last two podcasts left me sick shivering on the couch

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!