Dreamz
  • I did a search and couldn't find any thread about dreams so maybe this can be used as a catch-all thread for anything dream related, including lucid dreams.

I had a dream while napping today that stands out from pretty much every other dream I've had in terms of its sheer power and the discomfort it resulted in. I actually had forgotten about it and now eight hours later I remember it and am wondering if anyone who is interested in spiritual matters has experienced something similar. In case it matters, I've dabbled in lucid dreaming, but not for many years and never with much success beyond increasing my dream recall skills.

In the dream I was in an empty space, as if I was meditating or contemplating. There was no body but only a void of space and internal thoughts and I had a sense that whatever I asked to be shown would be shown to me. I remember asking to be shown "the truth" and suddenly a monstrous ball of fiery light filled the scope of my vision. It was overwhelming in its power, as if it was exerting some incredibly heavy weight on my mind, and while there was nothing I could make out in its form and nothing it transmitted to me as far as thoughts, I sensed that there was a massive amount of knowledge, information, and form contained in it; far too much to sort through with my mind. It was unbearable for even a few seconds. I felt like it was slowly crushing me, and I had an intuition that if I kept staring into it I would be annihilated or, in some unknown way, permanently transformed by it. I almost immediately took back my question and asked for it to either go away or I apologized in some sense for asking for more than I could handle. As soon as I requested this or thought this, the light disappeared and I remember feeling extremely relieved, as if I had dodged a bullet.

The strange aspect of the dream is that I have never, to my knowledge, had a dream that was non-visual in nature, for even a bit of it, and also that the sensation of danger felt real. I remember consciously believing that this thing could do something real to me, whereas I have always in the past experienced a disconnection from the action of dreams, where I am more or less a member of the audience, viewing my dream and enjoying the ride, rather than having a real stake in it. Even where pain or death occurred to me in dreams, I never really believed in it and always felt some distance from it.

Any comments or attempts to explain/understand this would be welcome. Anyone have a similar experience while dreaming?
    Post edited by DrStrib at 2012-07-23 18:57:41
  • I know nothing, but since no one has responded to you yet, I"ll give you my two cents.

The manifestation of "truth" in your dream is based on your vague grasp of what truth could be, if it were able to manifest in some tangible way. You are enlightened enough to seek truth and understand that it would be truly awesome, so a giant, powerful energy is a completely understandable way for a human to perceive something intangible, like truth.

Your reaction to truth is not at all surprising, considering, again, that you are enlightened enough to seek it, knowing that truth is powerful.

I can't interpret it for you, but I'm not at all surprised by the events as you explained them. You can only hope to have a similar dream or experience some time, so then you will be more prepared.

Maybe next time, you can ask to be shown lies first, and then ask for truth.
  • Causarius said:

Maybe next time, you can ask to be shown lies first, and then ask for truth.

That is a pretty great idea. Doubt the same dream will repeat but who knows.
  • There is indeed already a dream thread if you don't mind moving it over :)

http://duncantrussell.com/forum/discussion/comment/56040
    Play my weird art game at http://www.dexterlohnes.com
  • Ah, bummer. If anyone has the ability to merge this with that thread, go ahead.
  • What's the big deal w/ more than one thread on dreams? If that other thread was still going it would be getting bumped.

You asked for the truth & then you couldn't handle it - that's fucking hilarious.

The truth is nothing to ever be afraid of - it manifests itself in tangible ways all the fucking time. Nobody can hide from the truth & the truth is never hidden. The truth extends inwards - illusions are projected out.

I'm an avid lucid dreamer & I experience all different types of dreams. Dreams are just trips to other dimensions & this waking world is just one of those dimensions. It's a safe place as long as you don't fuck w/ those who think they're in charge - every dimension has motherfuckers who think they're in charge.

On a side note: Robinson Crusoe was one of my favorite books as a kid. I read the beginning again a few years back & hadn't remembered that it started off like the prodigal son.

The only thing worth doing is that which I can do by will alone... everything else is just passing time. (*)
  • @robinsoncrusoe I can merge the threads, but the first post never gets merged, so you have to actually make your post in the original Dreams thread.

@ledhead999 this is a coherent community, not just a posting board, we have conversations, relationships and experiences together. Throwing away threads because they fell down a few pages is throwing away those conversations and experiences. Bump worship is a child's game, searches are for grown ups.......... on a side note, could you contribute to the original dream thread? I've been feeling my dreams slip away from me, where as they used to be so vivid, I made a small post about it there.

oh, and thanks @dangerdex, you get a purple pope merit badge for assisting the organization of the multiverse!
    I measured my waistline in planck lengths and now I feel awful.
    photo tmp_824317984_zps500a3873.jpeg
    Speak the mega cool, get funky as a goal.
  • I wasn't suggesting you throw anything away. Once a thread gets too deep its gonna die on it's own b/c there's no way I'm going to read through all of that, especially once it's several months old. The fresher the conversation the more relevant it is to now.

Bump worship? What the fuck is that? Is that a grown up term. He said he did a search -how long does he have to search before he can say what's on his mind?

"searches are for grown ups..." that's fucking funny, man.
    The only thing worth doing is that which I can do by will alone... everything else is just passing time. (*)

If he posts on the old thread, people will be be able to read his post just fine, and if they want to read about more peoples' dreams they can look back further into the thread.
    Post edited by dangerdex at 2012-07-23 14:22:37
  • What makes you think I'm not calm?
  • What makes you think I'm not calm?

Your aggressive, goading language.
  • If you read anything other than humor or love in anything I ever write that's on you.
    Post edited by ledhead999 at 2012-07-23 14:55:59
  • If you read anything other than humor or love in anything I ever write that's on you.

I'm glad to hear that is your intent. In the future, it would be nice to consolidate the threads.

Now in the interest of getting this car back on track:

I've never had an experience with an entity like you describe @robinsoncrusoe, but I have had one dream that stands out in my mind as particularly physical and painful. An interesting parallel is that although it was not a fiery, ball kind of entity in my dream, the thing causing me pain was an other/extrawordly entity. I remember it as some kind of humanoid devil. I remember the pain it caused me was very sharp, I believe it was in my arm or wrist, and I was surprised when I did not wake up for what felt like at least five or six seconds of intense pain, almost as if I thought "I should be waking up now, this is a dream" before I became conscious.
  • @ledhead999 thinking a thread is dead is throwing it away. It's not alive, its a pile of information, information created and shared by the members here. New fresh information is good, but the present means nothing without the past.

And about the searching thing, in the forum FAQ it explains how the Vanilla forums/WordPress search sucks donkey balls and to use google instead.

Let's all hug this out and touch dick-tips, k?
  • Keep your dick in your pants. It's the past that means nothing - only the present means anything b/c the present is everything, regardless of whatever happened in the past.

You have to learn to let go of the past - that's part of why we're all here in this waking dream world.
  • I will not, under any circumstances, put my dick back in my pants.
  • I love that we went there. We fucking went there. I love this forum!

• It's the past that means nothing - only the present means anything b/c the present is everything, regardless of whatever happened in the past.

The present is everything because of what happened in the past, because it is the past, time being an illusion and all. More knowledge is never a bad thing.
  • It's only thoughts & feelings about the past that ever confuse your MIND now. Every moment is completely new - no matter how it may ever seem to you. Even when you think & feel that you're physically asleep your MIND is still experiencing the present.

The past is dead & gone as soon as it's past - you can only hold onto past thoughts & feelings w/ your MIND. That's all that keeps the waking illusion alive. Eventually you have to learn to let go of all those thoughts & feelings in order to truly be in the present moment.

That is knowledge - there is not more or less knowledge. Knowledge is always whole. If you aren't certain about something there cannot be knowledge. Knowledge is not information, it's attained through experience.

You always know everything you ever need to know in order to do what must always be done at any given moment - you just might not know all you want to know.
  • I'm baked.
    That post is awesome.
    You're awesome.
    This forum is awesome.
    I'm going to the beach.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!