Intellectual /religious child abuse
  • Check out this video of fundamentalists brainwashing children. It's fucked. I honestly think this sort of shit should be illegal.

• watch jesus camp...
  • If you can get through 10 minutes of Jesus Camp without punching a hole in the wall, congratulations, you have achieved complete harmony with the universe.

It has always seemed evil to me to brainwash children like that, but you know what I've been thinking about recently? Most of the apes on this planet are super religious. Most label their children from an early age with their religion, and since religion is all that most people know, they teach their children what they know.

Everybody does it, so it must be natural. It's a part of our genetic coding, I think it's a left over from our days worrying about mysterious beasts in the woods lurking to bite our heads off, we needed an answer for life and something to goddamn look forward to besides dying. I think looking forward though, this can't keep up the way it's been going, people are going to eventually get too smart via the internet. It may take 100 years, but I think doing this to children is on it's way out.
    "Up above aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home of all these weird creatures that lock up their spirits, drill holes in themselves, and live for their secrets. They're all uptight" -Radiohead
  • If you can get through 10 minutes of Jesus Camp without punching a hole in the wall, congratulations, you have achieved complete harmony with the universe.

awesome

My heroes are midgets with real jobs.
  • According to andyrosebrook, I have achieved perfect harmony with the universe. Hooray!

Creation seems legit
    We take for granted things around / are child's play all the way down.
    | my shit | more |
  • I had a conversation with my super christian relatives that went something like this:

Q- If Christianity is right and the other religions are wrong, why are there so many Muslims etc that believe so strongly in their faith?

A- Well, you believe what you were brought up with.

Q- So its human nature to believe what the culture you were brought up with believes?

A- Yes

Q- So knowing that, why do you think that you aren't just caught in the same sort of inherited belief system?

A- Because I have faith.

Q- if you have faith why don't you give up indoctrinating kids and let them find the truth on their own and get rid of this element that can cause them to believe anything (Islam, Judaism etc) whether its true or not?

A-Because I want my kids to go to heaven.

Q- I thougt you had faith? Surely Jesus loves your children and would save them from going to hell.

A- He would save them but I just want to make sure.

Q- But you're not willing to put it to the test though? It's not actually faith if you're unwilling to test it. That's just being fairly certain.

Oh and by the way, that's some "loving" god you've got there that created most of the people in the world just to burn them in hell eternally. He created human nature and put most people in places and circumstances that make the chances of them getting to heaven astronomically small. Real nice guy.
  • Goddammit.. When Christianity is popular they will believe "God's" power is working through the right people.. Now that they're no longer mainstream they'll say Christian persecution is apart of being a Christian ...It never ends!!
  • I don't normally get into these conversations with religious people. I remember how hard losing my faith was originally but sometimes I just can't resist planting the seeds of rationality and doubt.
  • When someone is a devout christian I treat them like I would treat a developmentally disabled child that is talking to me, I hold no judgement outwardly towards what they say just smile at them and wait for an opportunity to change the subject
  • I was hungry then I just got around to watching that video and now I feel sick and angry.
  • I certainly don't support what happens in the video, but teaching your religion to your children is not a form of child abuse in and of itself.

Current mainstream science is probably wrong about a whole manner of things. We'll look back 500 years from now and be amazed we could believe a whole bunch of dumb stuff, just as we look back 500 years from now and do the same thing.

So if you're teaching kids mainstream science, you're probably molding their brain into believing a bunch of stuff that's false. That doesn't make it child abuse, that's just what parents do.

• So if you're teaching kids mainstream science, you're probably molding their brain into believing a bunch of stuff that's false. That doesn't make it child abuse, that's just what parents do.

but the difference between religion and science is that science can be questioned and disproved.

in my opinion, anything that doesn't tolerate being questioned or laughed at is just ignorant and bad.
  • Who´s sending those kids to those shows? The parents. Why? Because the parents believe it's educational and it's conform their ideas. At that young age you are subjected to your parents and direct environment for all of your beliefs and convictions.

Whether it is right or wrong children at that age cannot think for themselves and their parents will teach them what they believe is right. The problem with this is that the only reason a lot of people have those beliefs in the first place is because their parents taught them and so on and so on. It's an endless cycle only slowly breaking because of a global awakening in science through the world wide web.
  • That youtube video was haunting

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!