"Perfect" Albums - Post Yours
  • The Replacements - Let It Be

A Punk Pop Rock Masterpiece

"The album was very well received by critics and regarded among the greatest albums of the 80's. The album is now considered a classic and is frequently included on professional lists of the all-time best rock albums including placement as #239 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time."

If your attention span is limited - scrub forward to 15:46 "Unsatisfied"

Post edited by kulashaker at 2012-06-15 02:05:32
    Am I Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.
  • I have never listened to the Replacements. I'm not sure why. Guess i need to do that.

Radiohead-OK Computer

Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • PeerPeer
    Hrair
    Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

• My list of perfect albums: Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd, Colors - Between the Buried and Me, Exoplanet - The Contortionist, Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place - Explosions in the Sky, A Memory Stream - The American Dollar.
    Here we all feel alive, Here we use our minds, Let us form together, Use our minds, Recreate, redesign Here forever
    With a new world in our hands We will gain control
  • @kulashaker Wow, Unsatisfied is great! I can see where Ryan Adams got all his ideas.
    Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • Lateralus - Tool
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Elephant - The White Stripes
    Blood Sugar Sex Magick - RHCP
    Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
    How do you capture a beautiful bird without killing its spirit?
  • I honestly think all of these albums are pretty much bang on as a whole from start to finish. Of course some songs are better than others, but all of these work as a complete "piece". Quite a long list I'll break it up

Rockish (aka a band with Guitars and Drums etc):

In the Aeroplane over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
    Doolittle - Pixies
    Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth
    Ege Bamyasi - Can
    Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place - Explosions in the Sky
    Disintegration - The Cure
    Ok Computer - Radiohead
    Abbey Road - Beatles
    There's Nothing Wrong with Love - Built to Spill
    Hunky Dory - David Bowie
    The Soft Bulletin - Flaming Lips
    Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
    Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
    Shame Shame - Dr Dog
    Agetis Bryjun - Sigur Ros
    And then the Nothing Tunred Itself Inside-Out - Yo La Tengo

Electronic/Non Bandish/Weird:

Versperpentine - Bjork
    Music Has the Right to Bear Children - Boards of Canada
    All the Pretty Little Horses - Current 93
    Loves Secret Domain - Coil
    Furnace - Download
    The Last Man to fly - Tear Garden
    Iaora Tahiti - Mouse on Mars
    Nothing Lasts...But Nothing is lost - Shpongle
    Tire Sounds of stars of the Lid - Stars of the Lid
    Broken Soul Jamboree - Tipper

• Cambo said:

Blood Sugar Sex Magick - RHCP

Yes.

Rage Against The Machine - (Self-Titled)
    Nirvana - Unplugged
    "Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery! Fiendish Doctor Wu, you done fucked up now!"
  • Flobots - Fight With Tools*

Handlebars- Flobots
    Post edited by dwarfed at 2012-06-15 10:32:57
  • Ok.
    Tool - Ænema # 1 for me struck a nerve at the right time.
    Bjork - Debut

Rush anything
    Primus - Pork Soda
    Quicksand - Slip

Junip - Feilds
    The Jesus Lizard - Goat
    Iron and Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean

No Beattles
  • +1^
    Tool- Aenima
    (Aenema is the song name, album name being a Jung reference. Sorry to nerd on you)

My friend said it is the Dark Side of the Moon of our generation. Whatever our 20's 30's generation is. I agree.

Dillinger Escape Plan- Irony is a Dead Scene
    King Crimson- Discipline
    Converge- Jane Doe
    Squarepusher- Ultravisitor
    Mastodon- Remission
    Led Zeppelin IV ooobviously
    Faith No More- Angel Dust
    Post edited by ehhrrwal at 2012-06-15 22:45:00
  • Ohhh almost forgot

Mars Volta-> De-Loused in the Comatorium... some people say Frances the Mute is better, and I might agree... But De-loused is what broke through and set the stage. It had no predecessors, nothing to build off of...making it a crowning achievement in my opinion.
  • Television's album, Marquee Moon is pretty perfect.

Love's album Forever Changes is as well:

• Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
    J Dilla - Donuts
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    Fabriclive 62: Kasra
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    He Is Legend - 91025, I Am Hollywood, Suck Out The Poison, It Hates You
    Zomby - Where Were U In '92
    Burial - Untrue
    Seba - Return To Forever
    Rustie - Glass Swords
    Nujabes - Every and all albums he was ever involved with ever
    Post edited by Cetra at 2012-06-21 08:32:29
  • Radiohead-2000 Kid A
    Traveling through the Multiverse
  • Coheed and Cambria - Second Stage Turbine Blade/In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Sickest concept band in history.
  • Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood
    The Beatles - Rubbersoul
    Rolling Stones - Exile on main street
    Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison ( I consider this an album )
    Paul Simon - Graceland
    Sam Cooke - Live at Harlem Square ( This too )
    Neck and neck - Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler
    John Frusciante - Shadows collide with people
    Willie Nelson - Red headed stranger

Almost: Neil Young - Harvest ( man needs a maid is a tune I just can't dig )
    Wu Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever

• @NonasBigBrownBeaver shadows collide with people is an amazing album!!

Yoshimi battles the pink robot- the flaming lips
    Blood sugar sex magik- red hot chili peppers
    Phrenology/game theory-the roots
    The old prince -shad
    Houses of the holy-led zeppelin
    The specials s/t
  • The Rheostatics - Whale Music (1992)
  • Soundtracks for the Blind - Swans
    Yeti - Amon Düül II
    Love's Secret Domain - Coil
    Us and Them - Godflesh
    Docteur Faust - Igor Wakhévitch
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    Stag - Melvins
    Through Silver in Blood - Neurosis
    Ege Bamyasi - Can
    Saturday Night Wrist - Deftones
    Talking Heads: 77 - Talking Heads
    Spires That in the Sunset Rise - Spires That in the Sunset Rise

• @Kamehameha don't forget the Alexander album. it's just as close to perfect as the others.

i agree with so many of these, so here are some of mine that haven't been listed:

pink floyd - animals
    robert palmer - sneaking sally through the alley
    man man - life fantastic
    super furry animals - phantom power
    aesop rock - labor days
    louvin brothers - satan is real
    ween - mollusk
    shel silverstein - great conch train robbery
    tom waits - orphans
    bob dylan - bringing it all back home
    nick drake - pink moon

• @Malaclypse - "Aeroplane Over the Sea" is amazing...

In no particular order:

La Roux - La Roux

Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star

Daft Punk - Alive 2007

Diplo - Florida

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

Kanye - The College Dropout

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

Stars - Set Yourself On Fire

and... because it's undeniable: Lady Gaga - The Fame

• MGMT- Oracular Spectacular. Gotta be an all-time classic. Every song just has an incredible, unique feel. Same with the second album for me at least, but with a completely different sound than the first.

Post edited by WalkingonaDream at 2012-06-17 22:18:14
    "We might be overlooking one of the biggest tools we've ever had for evolving and developing our mind...we might have a symbiotic relationship on this Earth with certain plants that we've made illegal. We might need them." -Rogan
    Never Stop Learning.

• 1. "2 + 2 = 5 (The Lukewarm.)" 3.19
    2. "Sit Down. Stand Up. (Snakes & Ladders.)" 4.19
    3. "Sail to the Moon (Brush the Cobwebs Out of the Sky.)" 4.18
    4. "Backdrifts (Honeymoon is Over.)" 5.22
    5. "Go to Sleep (Little Man Being Erased.)" 3.21
    6. "Where I End and You Begin (The Sky is Falling In.)" 4.29
    7. "We Suck Young Blood (Your Time is Up.)" 4.56
    8. "The Gloaming (Softly Open Our Mouths in the Cold.)" 3.32
    9. "There There (The Boney King of Nowhere.)" 5.25
    10. "I Will (No Man's Land.)" 1.59
    11. "A Punchup at a Wedding (No No No No No No No No.)" 4.57
    12. "Myxomatosis (Judge, Jury & Executioner.)" 3.52
    13. "Scatterbrain (As Dead as Leaves.)" 3.21
    14. "A Wolf at the Door (It Girl. Rag Doll.)"
  • Passion Pit's Manners is one of my all time favorite albums. I was lucky enough to see these guys live and it was an epic night to remember.

• Live at the Old Quarter - Townes Van Zandt fantastic album. get yer joints ready.
  • Tool - Lateralus, Aenima, 10,000 days
    A Perfect Circle - Mer de noms
    Radiohead - In rainbows, hail to the thief, The Bends, Ok computer
    Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium, Frances the Mute
    Neil Young - harvest, ragged glory, greendale, mirror ball
    Big Wreck - in loving memory.....
    The Tragically Hip - fully completely, up to here, days for night, road apples
    Matt Mays + El Torpedo - ST, Terminal romance
    Nirvana - Nevermind, in utero
    Pearl Jam - Vs, Ten
    Soundgarden - Superunknown, badmotorfinger
    smashing pumpkins - mellon collie and the infinite sadness, zeitgeist,
    The Offspring - smash
    Alice in chains - everything they did
    metallica - kill em all, ride the lighting, master of puppets, and justice for all....
    Motorhead - Ace of spades, iron fist, overkill
    the beatles - rubber soul, sgt. pepper, abbey road, revolver
    Jimi Hendrix - everything he did
    black sabbath - ST, sabbath bloddy sabbath, master of reality, paranoid, VOL. 4

i could go on for years.....
    Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise ~ Tommy Douglas
  • Great lists... Just wanted to add Cosmogramma - Flying Lotus.

shout out to the coheed and cambria shout out!
  • Man Man - Rabbit Habits.

• Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline
    We take for granted things around / are child's play all the way down.
    | my shit | more |
  • La Mano Cornuda by the Supersuckers. Just when you think it cant get any better you get hit with the last track, the whole album again.
    And any Fugazi album. the Furniture ep is pretty good.

• CCR- bayou country

We elongate our Maaans 'round these parts.
  • Feist - The Reminder

Yeeea! Have you seen the making of documentary?
  • Frames by Oceansize. My favourite album by a long way, there are soo many great moments and songs on this album.

• honest question to the people that put techno and rap albums in their lists: does musicianship not mean anything to you?
    Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise ~ Tommy Douglas
  • Why
    Hrair
    Tool - Lateralus

Been mentioned a few times already but it is just so damn perfect.

Also
    A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step. That albums never grown old to me in the 10 or so years I've listened to it.
  • @TheLizardKing

I don't want to get into a super heated debate about this, because I respect your choice in music. The "perfect" albums I listed were simply a deviation from other posts that were simply listing the same albums over and over again.

In 6th grade I traded all my Jack Johnson albums to a kid named will in exchange for ALL his Radiohead CDs. Back when people still had jewel cases. I've listened to OK Computer and Kid A thousands of times.

So given the backstory, to answer your question, yes, musicianship does mean something to me. I'll give a little explanation for my choices. My "techno" and "rap" (if those are the words you choose to define these genres) submissions for perfect album are not created by some revisionist electro douchebag who was too drunk to hold Madonna's left leg at the Superbowl. They are not bullshit ice rap from some wannabe who went to private school in Chicago or H-town (or even worse, New Orleans).

La Roux is an electro-pop duo helmed by Elly Jackson, one of the most under appreciated musicians working today. If you haven't heard her songs, you've definitely heard a song she's written, co-produced, or sang back up on. They are, for sure, most famous for their 2009 hit "Bulletproof", which Kim Kardashian once tweeted the lyrics to. She also did extensive work on Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" which was nominated for multiple Grammys, including the Song "All of the Lights," on which Jackson is featured, which won Grammys for Best Rap Song and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. The Gold Edition of La Roux's eponymous album, however, won the Grammy for Best Electronic/Dance album in 2011. To delve into it deeply, you'd need to listen to the album, but it is an inspired, alternative deviation into unrequited love and sexuality. If you have any question about her musicianship, check out her Vevo Lounge Version of "In For the Kill" that appears on the Gold Edition:

http://youtu.be/3RkA2y-JSzY?t=1m35s

I could go into detail about all the others, if you really want me to defend my choices, so ask me about the album and I'll tell you why it's great."Black Star" is an amazing Hip-Hop album that explores the struggle of the MC to stay relevant in a post-Gangsta Rap era. Kanye west is a pinnacle of modern musicianship in my opinion, and while a much better producer than he is an MC, his command of samples and drum beats is nearly unparalleled. I didn't even list all of my Hip-Hop choices that could be considered "perfect." Can you really listen to Ready to Die and not consider that a game changer for the genre?

I dislike the idea that for something to be good it also has to be obscure. Artistic integrity and mainstream success are not mutually exclusive in my opinion. (See: The Beatles, Christopher Nolan, Andy Warhol). Thanks for posing the question though, @TheLizardKing, because I just thought people might like to be exposed to something other than Tool.

Oh, and I like Jim Morrison too.
    Post edited by ZachDaniels at 2012-06-19 17:01:40
  • Honest answer: no.
    Post edited by wassupx2 at 2012-06-19 20:47:55

• Dunno if this has been mentioned but Blockhead's Music By Cavelight is definitley up there for me
  • Yelnots said:

@NonasBigBrownBeaver shadows collide with people is an amazing album!!

Definitely man, I think it's his best

Fuji_M0T0 said:

Dunno if this has been mentioned but Blockhead's Music By Cavelight is definitley up there for me

Blockhead's great dude, I would add in Bonobo's Days To Come & Black Sands and Nujabes's Modal Soul and Metaphorical Music, those albums are fucking amazing!
    Post edited by NonasBigBrownBeaver at 2012-06-20 05:18:59

• Yelnots said:

@NonasBigBrownBeaver shadows collide with people is an amazing album!!

Definitely man, I think it's his best

Fuji_M0T0 said:

Dunno if this has been mentioned but Blockhead's Music By Cavelight is definitley up there for me

Blockhead's great dude, I would add in Bonobo's Days To Come & Black Sands and Nujabes's Modal Soul and Metaphorical Music, those albums are fucking amazing!

Huge Nujabes fan and actualy recently discovered black sands and m for monkey,By Bonobo. I've been Playing them non stop ever since!
    I'll check out days to come.

If your into Nujabes have you got Into any Fat Jon? He collaborated with Nujabes on the soundtrack for Samurai Champloo

His Humanoid Erotica is a pretty perfect album in my opinion

• Huge Nujabes fan and actualy recently discovered black sands and m for monkey,By Bonobo. I've been Playing them non stop ever since!
    I'll check out days to come.

If your into Nujabes have you got Into any Fat Jon? He collaborated with Nujabes on the soundtrack for Samurai Champloo

His Humanoid Erotica is a pretty perfect album in my opinion

Yeh Fat Jon's great man, I've heard a couple of his tracks very smooth shit, I'll check out that album for sure!

• Kanye west is a pinnacle of modern musicianship in my opinion

to me saying Kanye west is a pinnacle of modern musicianship is like saying Kanye west is a pinnacle of modern musicianship.

lol.

not sure how to write this without offending people so i'm just gonna write what i think and if anyone take it personally then that's their own fault.

here's how i look at it. i like tupac ten million times more than i like dave matthews band. it's not even comparable, i fucking hate DMB. but objectively there is no argument who is more talented. clearly a guy that can sing, write song, play an instrument live while singing with a band etc etc is more talented than any rapper. unless you think rapping is that hard that it overcomes all the things he's lacking.

for me techno is always excluded from any serious music discussion, since they press play then stand there with their arms in the air trying to look like they're doing something. so as far as performance and musicianship they can't even be graded, which is a huge blow for me when considering if something is good or not. obviously more talented people have a massive advantage. so when i'm looking at what I think is "the best" or "perfect" i have to take that into consideration. i just can't understand how other people don't. i can understand liking shitty pop music, but i can't understand when people act like it's anything other than shitty pop music.

as far as rap, same logic applies. if you're just standing there rapping into a mic while a computer is playing all the music for you....well.....it is what it is, isn't it? it's a guy rapping into a mic by him self on stage with a computer doing 50% of the work.......yay......how exciting. that's why someone like K-os is fucking light years ahead of most other rappers. he understands it's vital to have actual instruments for performing music live. the more human element that's involved the more potential it has to be real. the more real (or less fake) the better it is IMO.

put it this way, who's a more talented carpenter? a guy who hand carves a tabel, or a guy who programs a machine to do it for him? i would say it's not fair to compare the guy programming the machine to the guy who took the time to learn and perfect his craft and that i'll take the guy who has a real skill over someone who can program a machine any day of the week.

Dave Grohl says it perfectly:

Post edited by TheLizardking at 2012-06-20 11:43:07
  • @Skweetis...love your avatar...Diamanda Galas - Plague Mass is one of the most beautifully frightening things I've ever hear...If there was a hell, her music would be in the foyer....(meant in the best way possible)...The title "there are no more tickets to the funeral" messed with my head as I considered the depth of it....

Perfect album?
    Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking....from the Anthematic Up the Beach to the end of Pigs in Zen...its a perfect album that destroyed the old guard and layed a template for all Alt rock that followed...beautiful and perfect

Led Zeppelin I - Jimmy Page assembled the best guys to make the best blues/rock of all time.

Beatles - Abbey Road

Todd Rundren - The Ballad of Todd Rundgren...not bad for a record played entirely by 1 guy
    Eyes that have seen will know what I mean - Todd Rundgren
  • @TheLizardKing

Word... Okay. I agree with you to some extent. K-OS "The Love Song" is probably my favorite hip hop/R&B record of all time. I can't argue with you about DMB... although I would argue that you can't really compare the two styles and what Pac did is just as important as what Dave is doing.

However, this "techno" thing. "Techno" is Darude by Sandstorm. There's a lot of terms that can describe this type of music. But really, I urge you to check out Alive 2007, or Discovery, both by Daft Punk. The album is composed of hundreds of samples, and while not musically complicated, I do think it connects with the listener on a more intuitive level. Check out Aerodynamic Beats from Alive 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om38ziFMS7s

Also, you have to take into account electro artists who do their stuff live. Diplo, for instance, mixes live. Skrillex, mixes live. Even if you hate dubby nonsense (which I do), you have to applaud the dude for making the noises in front of you. The mixer is just a post turn of the century piano. Tiesto, Deadmau5, Avicii.. even Guetta. They press spacebar. Diplo however, he is just like a jam band. He feels the crowd, knows what music to play, knows what BPM to play it at, and puts on a kick ass show. Diplo merges genres, mashing up not only songs but neighborhoods, cities, and countries. Is performing, at its very core, not a give and take with the crowd? Diplo excels at this give and take. You leave feeling energized, happy, like you just saw a great show. I'd post one song, but really you should just check out www.soundcloud.com/diplo.

Can an album of "shitty pop music" not also be perfect? What am I supposed to do here, list Broken Social Scene, Animal Collective, Fiona Apple... I was just giving a different opinion. Just because they're a certain type of music doesn't mean they can't also be cohesive and meaningful.

Also, can someone tell me how to embed a clip?
  • @TheLizardking

I'm more interested in the sonic side of music but musicality does matter to me, it just depends on who i'm listening to as to what side of it i'm more interested in.

but yes, I do love Techno, Detroit Techno specifically but i also like Minimal Techno and Dub Techno. I also like Acid House, Deep House, Tech House, Breaks, UK Garage, Dubstep to some extent, Trance, Ambient, Trip Hop/Downtempo, Future Jazz, Jungle, i love Breakbeat Hardcore, but i mostly listen to Drum and Bass. I mostly lean towards the dark and techy neurofunk sort of thing lately but i always love some good Liquid

Post edited by Cetra at 2012-06-21 12:49:04
  • honest question to the people that put techno and rap albums in their lists: does musicianship not mean anything to you?

Uh oh, it's the music police.

Im guessing you havent been to a lot of hip-hop shows where theres a full band and a dj? Youre really missing out.it seems like the new thing in hiphop is to play with a live band actually.
    There are those guys out there that do just rap in front of a dj spinning ,you're right. It goes without saying that there is a lot of manufactured acts that barely do anything (that lmfao band)
    But why acknowledge it?why waste your time if it bothers you and it's not your thing?

I'd say go to a Hip hop show with a live band. I recently saw public enemy. Flavor flav wasnt doing anything really but chuck d was dropping some crazy shit and the band was tiiiight.
    I've never seen an electro/techno act live, not really my thing, but I guareentee their not just hitting a key or a play button, There's some dj's out there that work their butts off live.

Also did you compare Dave Matthews and tupac :s. uhhh?

Point being, what you said here and in your other post breaking it down sounds like you're just angry at those genres for some reason, like it's offending you or something that people are making music differently.

If it sounds good to you,listen.
    If it doesn't, don't.
    The artist doesn't care if you think the way they made it "isn't the real way" or you think they don't have talent.
    if its as easy as you make it sound you should be billboards next #1 techno rapper.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-06-21 09:36:59
  • "It's blue cheese dressing or go fuck your mother"
  • The Fugees - The Score

David Gray - White Ladder
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I will meet you there." Rumi
  • wow..........
    am i a good boy?

it doesn't have to be anything

will u sign my petition to change the name of our planet from Earth to Poor Thing?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!