• Breakfast-
    Fruit

Lunch-
    Protein Shake

Dinner-
    Falaffels, Rice, veggies

Snack -
    Greek Yogurt
  • I briefly experimented with a raw vegan diet for about a week, and tried vegetarianism for about a week and a half a few months later. Both times, for the first two days, I felt very 'clean' and energetic, but by the third day, I felt like I had a severe flu. Body aches, not thinking clearly, unable to exercise, and in general not feeling well. Vegan friends tell me that was my body detoxing, but I think it was because I wasn't getting enough calories or nutrition. I have an ectomorph body type and I struggle to eat enough for my wicked fast metabolism. I still eat a healthy diet consisting mostly of fruits/vegetables, but meat is an important part of that healthy diet for me.

Factory farming is undoubtedly a scourge, but I see no inherent immorality in killing anything for food. I make very little distinction between whether I killed an animal or a plant for my food. In both cases, I acknowledge the suffering of the living being, thank it for its sacrifice, and contemplate how this oblation of brahman is offered up by brahman and consumed by brahman. The only thing that bothers me somewhat is people who refuse to acknowledge that death is inherent in the act of eating. Arguing that microbes, plants, fungi, insects, fish, or whatever do not feel pain when consumed is just semantics to me; death still occurs. There is nothing wrong with death, it is an integral part of life. Especially absurd are those who eat meat while simultaneously saying that hunting is barbaric. Ideally, I'd like to get to a point where all the meat I eat is hunted by me, heavily influenced by how many native american tribes view hunting. I can ensure that the animal lived a happy life in the wild, offer thanks/respect to the animal personally, and have the blood exclusively on my hands.

That said, this is all just my personal opinion. I don't push my beliefs on anyone, or look down on other views of how food works, unless it is blatantly hypocritical with a holier than thou attitude. Everyone's bodies are different and they should put some thought and responsibility into their food, regardless of what diet they end up choosing.

Eat well, friends and family! ˆ◡ˆ
    Post edited by Krishna at 2012-03-28 14:45:52
    एकम् सत् विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति
    That which exists is One, but sages call it by various names.
  • I've been a vegan for 2 years and a vegetarian for 16 years, and I never had a problem until Marine Corps bootcamp. I went from 170 pounds at 6' down to 135' after bootcamp. I had terrible pneumonia and, towards the end of bootcamp, incontinence. I think I was probably starving to death, literally. I was far from Marine material by the time they were done with me!

They gave us only maybe 5 minutes to down any meal (while screaming at us), and I couldn't get enough salad and cereal in my face. I started eating a little chicken after bootcamp and kept this up until I was getting out. I will say it was easier to be a bulky dude in the Marines with that condensed protein, but I've kept in great shape in the 6 or 7 years since I got out without it or much if any animal protein (none these days as a vegan).

Honestly it's not hard AT ALL to find enough protein. As a vegetarian I put barely a thought into it and still gained muscle and was super healthy. Now as a vegan I don't have to put much more thought into it, and I'm still doing great.

Just my personal anecdote! I just want people to know that a vegetarian lifestyle is totally viable, and I am convinced a vegan one is too. It's not even difficult at all. That's not to invalidate the last poster or anyone else - I just personally believe it's very easy to pull off, and the health benefits are enormous (just look at rates of heart disease and cancer in veggie vs meat eating populations). That's not even starting in on the many other very good reasons to at least cut back on meat.
  • Vegetarian for 6 years, vegan 3 and I feel pretty good all the time. The hardest thing for me is trying to find affordable vegan art supplies. Some paints and inks do have animal ingredients, but I think trying to limit that as much as possible will indeed help the cause and influence my art in a positive way.
  • Just saw this from Michael Clarke Duncan. I know, kind of a random post but anyway I thought someone might find it interesting :)

• @mrlagace - Welcome friend! I'm so happy thrilled to see you here!! You belong here and will have so much to contribute.

I'm vegetarian and have been solidly so for a couple years at least. Recently I watched a show in which a woman was hunting wild boar in California and it really drove home to me that no matter what your food source, the connectedness and mindfulness with which you approach it is paramount. This woman talked about the moment in which she killed a boar and saw the life leave it, and that even though it would feed her for a long time there was still a moment of sadness in it for her, and that if she ever reached the point where she didn't feel that sadness she would stop hunting. Consciousness and mindfulness about food is a newer concept for me and even though I have not eaten much meat for over 5 years I'm just now starting to take a more "aware" look at all food. It's very interesting! And so, at 32, I've become a vegetarian who supports some hunting whereas in my 20s I was a carnivore who was against hunting - bizarre.

Great thread, thanks for starting this!
    "the idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving" - Boat Car Guy
  • I've been vegan for 2.5 years. I love it-- it has totally changed my life. I feel truly grateful that this lifestyle kind of fell into my lap. I come from a family of serious meat and cheese eaters, so the fact that I ended up here is kind of crazy!

I suggest everyone educate themselves on the topic as much as possible. I watch tons of videos and read a lot of books/articles on veganism and plant-based nutrition. The Vegetarian Society of Hawaii has some AMAZING lectures available for viewing on Youtube. Jeff Novick, John Robbins, John McDougall, Michael Klapper, Neal Barnard, Caldwell and Rip Esselstyn, and T. Colin Campbell are all key players so check them out!
  • This guy is swoe! Thanks for this post.

cantorset said:

Just saw this from Michael Clarke Duncan. I know, kind of a random post but anyway I thought someone might find it interesting :)

• gal9000 said:

The Vegetarian Society of Hawaii has some AMAZING lectures available for viewing on Youtube

Noted. Thanks!
  • shikoku said:

Life is so much easier when you don't omit what you like.

Most of my family hasnt made it past 73 and I intend to live forever. Join me.

Smoke a bit of DMT and you won't worry about that silly "death" thing any more.

"It's just a ride." - Bill Hicks
  • jefahjefah
    Hrair
    Hi.

This is my first comment on the forum. 6 years vegan.
    I just wanted to say that, today I have completed 30 days raw vegan and I'm feeling great. I have more morning and evening energy than I have ever had, and my mental clarity is through the roof. I first thought about going raw after hearing Duncan discuss it earlier in the year.

I started working out 4 months ago (I was a full couch potato before hand) and I was finding my recoveries were very slow. I started thinking about giving raw a go, to see how this would improve my recovery. The final straw was hearing a body builder publicly saying "you can't build muscle on a raw diet". Challenge accepted.

For the record, my recovery times are greatly reduced. I'll have to report back in a year regarding muscle building, though looking good so far.
  • jefahjefah
    Hrair

So it's more 'efficient' for your body to process foods that are high in amino acids (i.e. fruits and veggies)

I totally believe this.
    I tried to have a 30% protein diet (as per paleo) but that shit is fucking hard on raw. You can eat only so many sprouted lentils. :/
  • I've been vegetarian for about a year now and am enjoying the shit out of it (but I'm pretty lucky because my lady is a great cook and loves trying out different vegetables and recipes).

Just a quick question though, with in the first few months i dropped from 86kg (190lbs) to 70kg (154lbs), did anyone else have such a dramatic weight loss? i didnt change my exercise routine only major difference is i dropped meat from my diet.
    www.twitter.com/stuiereds

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/stuiereds
  • jefahjefah
    Hrair
    Hi Stuiereds

Did you stop eating junk food at the time you went veg?
  • yeh pretty much, i guess that could be the reason why ive dropped so much.

• Three years vege and lovin it!! Keep it up!!
  • jefahjefah
    Hrair
    stuiereds said:

yeh pretty much, i guess that could be the reason why ive dropped so much.

Same thing happened to me. The hard part is staying junk free.
  • @jefah ive found it pretty easy. not a whole lot of junky vego options around me, so as long as i stay away from a falafel kebab im fine!

plus ever since i bought my house ive become cheap with money so that helps a bit as well.

• another interesting video:

• I went from 165 to 145 after about 2 months vegan (8 months in now). Based on what I lift now, there definitely was some muscle loss, but my endurance shot up considerably and I never crash out in the afternoons like I used to.

• Half vegan here. No eggs,milk only after bacteria has processed it(cheese,yogurt). Juicing like crazy,homemade hummus dip and tons of raw fruits and veggies. Been doing this for 15 years and my energy is better than when I was a teen.
    “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” -Frank Zappa
  • Try this if you're feeling freaky

2 cups quinoa
    3 cups water
    1 can coconut milk
    + braggs, soy or ponzu sauce to taste

Rinse your quinoa in a mesh strainer then boil it with the liquids above and keep stirring on a low heat until it soaks everything up. It will be a bit creamier than usual because of the oils in the coconut milk.

Then make an asian veggie stir fry with it.

a tiny lil bit of sesame oil to get things started.
    Fresh Broccoli
    Fresh Pea Pods
    Water chestnuts
    raw cashews
    peppers
    lots of chopped green onions
    shredded carrots
    honey or agave nectar (makes more saucey than a dry sweetener)
    braggs, soy or ponzu sauce

firm tofu cubed

I move the veggies out of the pan and cook the tofu lightly separately with more sauce so it doesnt turn into a mess with stirring.

The main thing is the coconut milk in the quinoa. I had never had it before, and it was really good, albeit a bit fattening.
    Post edited by deadlights at 2012-06-02 14:34:07
  • Been vegan for a while. It is not difficult and it is not a sacrifice to do the right thing for your own body, for other species, and for the planet.
  • I thought I should drop an update. I have been raw vegan since Feb. I have lost over 20kg (98 down to 78). I have also been working out 3 times a week.
  • Been vegan for a while. It is not difficult and it is not a sacrifice to do the right thing for your own body, for other species, and for the planet.

Awesome.
  • theboheme said:

Also, can we post up our daily diets? I would be interested to see what the average vegan eats and to get some tips. Mine is roughly like this:

Morning:
    a shake with bananas, soy milk, protein powder (pea extract), muesli (just chuck it right in the blender). I take a vitamin B supplement and spirulina.

Lunch:
    veges, carbs and sometimes tofu

Dinner
    veges, and a protein source
    iron supplement

Snacks:
    Nuts, dried fruits, dark chocolate, bread, peanut butter

please do,
  • CofN
    Hrair

Vegetarian for 6 years, vegan 3 and I feel pretty good all the time. The hardest thing for me is trying to find affordable vegan art supplies. Some paints and inks do have animal ingredients, but I think trying to limit that as much as possible will indeed help the cause and influence my art in a positive way.

I know of a vegan art supplier. They make their own watercolor paints and brush soaps. They want to be a one-stop-shop for vegan art supplies. So, if you don't find anything there just ask them.

Colors of Nature
  • GnomeGnome
    Hrair
    Forgive me if this has already been brought up in this thread already. I just don't have the patience to scroll through the whole thing in one go. Also, apologies if this is the type of Q you get all the time as a vegan/vegitarian. And please remember to @ me, so I don't miss any replies. I tend to forget which threads I've posted in.

Anywho, my question is this: I hear a lot of talk about not only quitting meat (Not talking about animal related products here) because of the treatment of the animals, but also due to the health implications of eating meat. Thing is, if you reduce your meat consumption to about the bare minimum (Norwegian scientists say about 200 grams per week is sufficient, this could be bogus but that is the number I have to go on), and only eat organic meat without hormones and shitty stuff in it, wouldn't that negate the argument "meat consumption harms your health"? Isn't it over-consumption of meat that is bad for you? I mean, I don't want to come off as a Darwinian asshole here, but there's been a lot of indications that our brains started to grow as soon as we learned how to cook meat and consume it, no? And we started eating meat millions of years ago, so evolutionary speaking, aren't we adapt at doing just that? Isn't that an indication that meat consumption, though at a much smaller scale, is totally natural and might actually be beneficial? All moral considerations aside?

To make myself clear, I'm not having a go at vegans or vegitarians, and I understand perfectly well the implications of the meat industry and the harm it does to both our health and our planet. And I know humans can adapt to all types of diets if done with understanding and research. The only thing I want to know is, is this just the type of argument that clueless veggies use cos they just don't know any better, or do most vegitarians actually believe that any meat consumption, no matter how little, is gonna harm your body? It'd be interesting to see your replies, though I'm pretty sure most of you are gonna get where I'm coming from here.

Also, I totally get that a lot of veggies are veggies as a protest to bring about understanding, and not necessarily because they are reactionary. So there you have it ^^
    Og det er Nooorge, og det er Nooorge, Olé, Olé, Olééé!
  • @Gnome I applaud your move toward moderation and I respect your inquiry. I would posit that a lot of the new suddenly grass-fed (possibly grass-finished but no way are they spending the money the whole time) free range (technically this just means they aren't bolted to anything) smiling cow fairy tale meat is keen niche marketing. I would add that ultimately the overwhelming majority of beef is very likely to come from the same slaughterhouses full of dead-eyed sociopaths taking their rage out on cows who have been fed the same corn/antibiotic/hormone/recycled cow smoothie for most of their pitiful abbreviated lives, standards of care and cleanliness "governed" by internally funded inspectors. I'm sure it is possible to source your own meat to the point of knowing the farmer and even the cow if you live in the right place but I have a healthy doubt about it being accessible to the 99 percent.

I started out vegetarian then vegan for health reasons and found it helped clear up a lot of issues for me personally, but I'm realizing that there are many other reasons to get out of the meat/eggs/dairy game. You can't say you're an environmentalist and eat cheeseburgers that came from rainforest cattle. I feel bad for the farmers trying to keep up with the corporations and make a living but as for the guys running the show and paying off the USDA, I just don't trust the motherfuckers and I sure won't give them my money and hold my breath that the chicken breast I bought isn't full of liquified shit water injected to increase the sale weight.

That's my two cents, I hopefully don't come off as adversarial I'm just fired up about the fractal horror that is modern America of late. For me, I just find that I can get what I need to feel great without participating in the stuff that pisses me off, so that's what I do.
    "The bad news is, we're it. The good news is, we're enough."

Fill yr ears and eyes with perilous optimism and good ol' fashioned Southern drone music at:

http://bph235.squarespace.com/
  • GnomeGnome
    Hrair
    @noizemonk Like I said, moral considerations aside. And I agree, most of the "organic meat" is BS. Luckily, this is not always the case where I live (Norway), but I get that it is most likely the case in the US. And yeah, it's a good idea not to pay those fuckers a dime if you can avoid it. Not to mention the fuckers burning our rain forests to make way for meat production. Fuck those bastards!

My only point was, all moral considerations and meat industry issues aside, with the sole focus on the "meat is bad for you, period" argument, that maybe meat in small amounts, and from a reliable and truly organic source (A norwegian farm on the west coast, for instance) is not bad for you, and might actually be healthy considering the millions of years of evolution humans underwent in order to adapt to that diet.

This is an attempt at understanding the choice people make a bit more. In my mind, cutting out meat entirely seems like a step too far. If we somehow managed to convince the global population that they ought to only eat 200 grams of meat per week (Good luck with that), the meat industry would resume to a morally sound and environmentally sustainable state as the demand dictates what short cuts and horrible shit people do for profit.

I applaud vegitarians and the message (most of them) they deliver to the masses. I only wish to clear up some stuff I feel some vegitarians don't seem to understand, and I believe that the message would be a lot clearer if more vegitarians were receptible to my points. It'd help make more people take them seriously, and not just write them off as "liberal softies with shit for brains".
  • @Gnome For me, it's balance. I grew up in hog country in the American Southeast so I've eaten a LOT of bullshit animal products and my health suffered accordingly. I also have been pissed off about human abuse of the environment since I was wee and when I did research for a couple of years and found out how intimately all the WTF stuff was tied in with agriculture, particularly animal agriculture, I decided to opt out of active participation. There are animal by products in so many things, down to the roads, that you can't opt out totally, but you can pick battles and this one fits me.

A lot of vegans are hostile to the point of seriously damaging their credibility, and I am as tired of the stereotypical self-righteousness these folks display as anybody. A lot of vegetarians come off as inconsistent because they pretend dairy comes from a different system than meat, which at least here is not true. Dairy production begets veal (male calves) and hamburger meat (worn out dairy cows) and it's an unpleasant reality to accept. There's no diet that really keeps you out of exploitation, so I minimize my participation in what I'm aware of, and try to do the same with purchases connected to cheap labor, etc.

I believe there was a moment when eating meat was quite necessary and it's good to be an omnivore in general for survivability, but I also believe that at this stage you can get by fine without it if you put in the effort to get what you need in other ways. The reason I went all the way to veganism is because in the States, it's all horrible with different labels on it, like with anything here. English is the language of obfuscation, so to cut out the bullshit, I just don't go there with animal products. I'm interested to hear more about how it is in Norway. I'm not so cynical as to assume the entire population of the Earth is hell-bent on annihilation through convenience. :)

Fill yr ears and eyes with perilous optimism and good ol' fashioned Southern drone music at:

• GnomeGnome
    Hrair
    @noizemonk Yeah, I totally understand, and I have some knowledge about the nature of animal products and the horrors. So I get it, man. I totally do. And it seems you get where I'm coming from too. You're the kinda vegan I respect, man. You're informed and rational, which is wonderful.

About Norway, we do have some horrible shit going on here too, especially when it comes to industrial chicken farming. But because there's quite a bit of agriculture and like.... Small farms and shit, we have some wonderful organic farms as well. And there's a long standing tradition of self reliance, and a policy that we ought to produce at least half of our own food supply (Despite a lack of viable farm land due to mountains all over the place) instead of import everything. But the prices.... Are pretty steep. And the policies are kinda.... Corrupt and fucked up. The subsidies and regulations are in many ways hindering farmers, but the farmers don't realize this themselves due to years and years of government propoganda and beaurocracy and middle men. It's complex!
  • AN_
    Hrair
    afar said:

*vegan on weekdays*

A goal for as soon as I am buying my food directly again.
  • Meat actually grosses me out. I crave it if I'm underfed though.

That's the way it works.

When you're hungry you lower your standards. In Russia, for example in 1920-1932 there was a huge famine that was so severe that after a while all the neighbourhood dogs started to disappear, and then the Zoos were raided for animals. People would take down their wallpaper and boil it, because potato starch was used as the glue.

After a while, children started to disappear and people became the go to place for food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism
    Survival was a moral as well as a physical struggle. A woman doctor wrote to a friend in June 1933 that she had not yet become a cannibal, but was "not sure that I shall not be one by the time my letter reaches you." The good people died first. Those who refused to steal or to prostitute themselves died. Those who gave food to others died. Those who refused to eat corpses died. Those who refused to kill their fellow man died. ... At least 2,505 people were sentenced for cannibalism in the years 1932 and 1933 in Ukraine, though the actual number of cases was certainly much higher.[134]

It was actually much more prevalent than that, with a vast blackmarket for human flesh emerging.

So, the 'desire' to eat meat doesn't come from the fact that it's tasty. It's not tasty it's gross! Steak tastes like piss to me, cheese looks like smears of mucus, milk leaves a nasty film in your mouth, eggs are chicken periods.

But... If I'm hungry enough it starts to become appealing.

People who say I couldn't live without meat simply don't know what it means to eat enough food!

(IMO)
    Post edited by bungled at 2014-07-25 20:15:56
  • Holy shit!

That middle picture looks like a Stephen Gammel illustration!
  • Yah, it's a super high def scan of a pretty kooky photo.

If you google 'russian cannibals' you can get some more. Mm mmm. :)
  • bungled said:

Yah, it's a super high def scan of a pretty kooky photo.

If you google 'russian cannibals' you can get some more. Mm mmm. :)

Was that during the Russian Revolution?
  • Ostensibly.

There's some info about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_famine_of_1921
  • bungled said:

So, the 'desire' to eat meat doesn't come from the fact that it's tasty. It's not tasty it's gross!

Well, I'd invite you to consider the distinct possibility that our desire for food is now simply an outgrowth of modern food production - taste-wise, at least. Corporate interests have sacrificed public health to the gods of Hedonism, and they've done so by mastering the science of hacking our palates to serve their profit motives.
    Post edited by Sea_Bastion at 2014-07-26 03:03:16
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."...The Scarecrow

• I know this post is super old, but being vegan or vegetarian is not necessarily healthy, it's usually the opposite. Vegetarians and especially vegans have statistically shorter life spans. Not to mention many health problems from malnourishment, especially if the diet isn't very closely monitored and balanced with all kinds of different produce and supplements. They're certainly more healthy than the typical American, but being not getting saturated fats and animal protein in our diets is incredibly unnatural and not optimal.

Check out the Weston A. Price foundation's website, they have all kinds of great research on this stuff. To be ideally healthy diet-wise, we'd eat moderate to small meals of high fat, medium protein, and low carbs. The fat and protein coming from pastured or free range organic animals that weren't fed anything besides what is their natural diet, for cows this means grass, not corn or 'cow feed'. The low amount of carbs would come from a nice big amount of green vegetables and whatever other low-starch vegetables and fruits. (or not, you can still be very healthy while still taking in a more moderate amount of carbs)
  • GnomeGnome
    Hrair
    @Bungled

Of course starving people would eay anything. This is nothing new. Cannibalism and all kinds of horrible shit has happened throughout human history. The other day I listened to hardcore history, and carlin was talking about some starving germanic tribe that sold their own children to romans in exchange for dog meat! A child per dog!!!!

In asia, the reason they have such an affinity with eating insects and monkeys and other things we wouldn't wanna eat ourselves is due to hunger catastrophies through the ages. I guess the same goes for the french and how they love snails. In Norway, one of our delicacies is virtually rotted fish in some nasty preservative I have no idea what really is.
    Today that shit is expensive and said to be a luxury food.

Why do people love olives? Pretty intense taste if you ask me, and they smell like cat piss. Still, I like them. Potatoes? If you don't boil them for 30 min, they're NASTY! Not too healthy either. Yet I get potatoe cravings! Such is the life of a Norwegian! Garlic? I doubt the first time people tasted that shit they found it to be exsquisite. I can hardly cook without it, if I don't have me some garlic, then something is missing. Oh, and they say garlic is actually pretty much pure poison!

I'm not saying you ought to like meat, or you ought to eat meat. I don't care what you eat! Live long and prosper dude, and make many posts! ^^ I just don't think this meat issue is black/white. And I have no doubts about your diet, I'm sure you get everything you need. You're a smart guy. But you come off a tad..... Closed off in that post. You're of course entitled to your opinion.
  • Well that's a macro starving event. Many people over a long time (10+ years) but people 'starve' on a micro level routinely.

Skip breakfast, have a coffee, eat a cheap lunch 'juice fast', proud of their discipline. and then.... they eat a bunch of meat.

They aren't eating children, but they aren't starving to death either. They just abstained from enough calories to become -very- motivated to eat some meat all of a sudden. These are the people who become very defensive about how normal it is to eat meat.

And why wouldn't they? As far as they're concerned meat is the thing that made them break even on their calorie intake and they have a very positive memory of that.

But honestly if you eat enough calories from other sources the cravings disappear.
  • GnomeGnome
    Hrair
    @Bungled Well, those people are douchebags ^^ Me personally, I often have vegitarian days, and I never skip a meal. Unless I'm having too much fun and forget to eat. I try to eat only around 200-400 grams of meat in a week. Often when I cook with meat, i'll use as little as possible, and use lentils and beans and the like to make it rich in protein.

I still get meat cravings though. I eat a LOT, yet I'm fairly skinny! I love the taste of meat, and I crave it. But I have no problem going a day or two without, and since my gf is vegitarian, that's even more of an incentive.

I think that though you're right about douchebags being douchebags, that's not anything new, and also there's individual differences to take into account.
  • Well yeah, if you're going to eat meat it should be in small amounts. (in my opinion)
  • I made a bunch of pizzas with cheese on them a couple of weeks back (inspired by the pizza thread!) and... it was good.

I also was eating shaker pancakes for a while, they had milk solids in. I guess you're right really tiny bits of meat or animal products are no biggy really and if I'm honest every 10 weeks or so I will eat a couple hundred calories of some animal product or another.

I guess all I'm really adding is that the best way to not crave meat too much is to eat a lot of food :)
  • Oh and a little chocolate too, gotta love chocolate :)
  • GnomeGnome
    Hrair
    @Bungled Agreed! And I think that's how we've evolved to eat it. We didn't have an abundance of meat when we figured out we could eat it some 2.6 million years ago. We had to hunt that shit, and exert a lot of energy to get it. Completely depends on where your tribal community lived, of course. Some parts of the world meat and milk and animal blood was and still is the main source of food, with scarce sources of plants and vegetables.

We eat too much meat, it's fucking up our environment, and causing the animals suffering and fucking up our health. But I still think it's not a problem to eat just a little bit of meat, and that if most people who eat meat realized they're having a huge negative impact with the ridiculous amounts they eat, then things would get a lot better without everyone having to be vegitarians/vegans/pesciatarians etc. If the demand declines back to sustainable levels, the meat industry would collapse and regular and organic farming styles would be sufficient, making it so that the animals have happier lives and farmers would stop with the hormones and all that crap.

I applaud the efforts of the people who cut meat products out of their lives in order to feel better and to bring about a message to the rest of the world. But I feel some of them are not thinking straight and preach erroneous information, and that is a disservice to everyone.
  • SenorJeff said:

I know this post is super old, but being vegan or vegetarian is not necessarily healthy, it's usually the opposite. Vegetarians and especially vegans have statistically shorter life spans. Not to mention many health problems from malnourishment, especially if the diet isn't very closely monitored and balanced with all kinds of different produce and supplements.

I'd wager that, "statistically," those folks weren't trying that hard.

• Gnome said:

We eat too much meat, it's fucking up our environment, and causing the animals suffering and fucking up our health. But I still think it's not a problem to eat just a little bit of meat, and that if most people who eat meat realized they're having a huge negative impact with the ridiculous amounts they eat, then things would get a lot better without everyone having to be vegitarians/vegans/pesciatarians etc. If the demand declines back to sustainable levels, the meat industry would collapse and regular and organic farming styles would be sufficient, making it so that the animals have happier lives and farmers would stop with the hormones and all that crap.

I applaud the efforts of the people who cut meat products out of their lives in order to feel better and to bring about a message to the rest of the world. But I feel some of them are not thinking straight and preach erroneous information, and that is a disservice to everyone.

I'm pretty down with this. I guess in the end I went vegan because I got sick of helping people ruin things and the only behavior I can control is my own.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!