23 and stuck
  • Whats good family? I'm currently 23 and I haven't finished college because I flunked out of community college. I am not a stupid person was just lost at 18. So now at 23 with my dreams of pro soccer fleeing away from reality, I find myself while working in a mind numbing job(pool cleaner) wishing for something more and desperately not wanting to end up like my co-workers..zombies stuck in Oklahoma

How do I get my shit together?? With a shitty gpa wtf do I do? If I move can I just start over???
    Thanks for any help.
    Peace and blessings to you all
  • ChallengerChallenger
    Hrair, Vampire Killer
    one good thing about being stuck in the middle of nowhere is that it's generally pretty inexpensive to live there. with the internet at your fingertips you have access to a global marketplace (i wish i could marquee tag that shit it sounds so corny), if you can create a product or a service that people want. then you have little overhead and all the usual routes to consumers.

best bet is to find something you enjoy, because chances are, you'll be doing it for a while. (that said, you still might have to get training or specific education related to whatever field you are drawn to).
    Post edited by Challenger at 2012-05-20 22:02:01
    .'. ParAdoX .'.
  • Honestly Salim, you feel stuck but you're not. It's ironic because I just posted on a thread about occupations and I said that I am an attorney, which essentially means that I created my own prison with student loan debt (meaning that I need to continue being an attorney because it's the only thing that pays the student loans).

In a way, you're completely free. You probably don't have a ton of student loan debt. It doesn't sound like you have any kids. There is nothing holding you back. The best thing about low pay - low skill jobs is that they literally exist EVERYWHERE and they are relatively easy to get. So honestly, save up some money (if you can), figure out where you want to live, and move there after you've saved up a couple months worth of rent.
  • Honestly Salim, you feel stuck but you're not. It's ironic because I just posted on a thread about occupations and I said that I am an attorney, which essentially means that I created my own prison with student loan debt (meaning that I need to continue being an attorney because it's the only thing that pays the student loans).

In a way, you're completely free. You probably don't have a ton of student loan debt. It doesn't sound like you have any kids. There is nothing holding you back. The best thing about low pay - low skill jobs is that they literally exist EVERYWHERE and they are relatively easy to get. So honestly, save up some money (if you can), figure out where you want to live, and move there after you've saved up a couple months worth of rent.

@bob_outlaw spits some truth. I'm in the same boat of "having my shit together." I posted in that same occupation thread as a consultant and writer. Let me tell you, I feel stuck myself. Metaphysically stuck. There's nowhere to go, nothing to do, except whatever the hell flights your fancy right now - savor this time and see where chance leads you. Hop on a train to a random city, find a quick job, make some friends, see what happens. Maybe someone will tell you about another cool city in another country you've never heard of - and you'll go there and find another job, make some more friends. Roll the dice, spin the top.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I will meet you there." Rumi
  • jimmybob said:

@bob_outlaw spits some truth. I'm in the same boat of "having my shit together." I posted in that same occupation thread as a consultant and writer. Let me tell you, I feel stuck myself. Metaphysically stuck. There's nowhere to go, nothing to do, except whatever the hell flights your fancy right now - savor this time and see where chance leads you. Hop on a train to a random city, find a quick job, make some friends, see what happens. Maybe someone will tell you about another cool city in another country you've never heard of - and you'll go there and find another job, make some more friends. Roll the dice, spin the top.

That's exactly how I feel Jimmybob.

I took two years off between college and law school and I lived in random cities tending bar, bouncing, and working odd jobs and it was the best time of my life. It was liberating!

• @bob_outlaw I took a year off after finishing college and starting grad school. My wife I started in Amsterdam and then bummed around the US for months at a time - hiking, camping, partying, staying with friends. Best time ever. I'm seriously trying to figure out a way to unplug form the day-to-grind of the system while I still have a chance. Thinking of getting a yurt and hitting the road. I dunno.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I will meet you there." Rumi
  • Move. Put every ounce of energy you have into something you want to do.
  • That probably includes a means to an end. Grind it.
  • Okay... You're 23 and built like a soccer player, right?

So go and plow as many fine young bitches as you can. Those memories will last you your whole life, my man, i guarantee it.
    Post edited by ColinJ at 2012-05-21 09:36:31
  • NyhusNyhus
    Hrair
    ColinJ said:

Okay... You're 23 and built like a soccer player, right?

So go and plow as many fine young bitches as you can. Those memories will last you your whole life, my man, i guarantee it.

I support this.
    "Y'all white bitches are a buncha honky mahfahs fo' teasin' ma nigga cunt wit yo lobsta meat"

http://twitter.com/LCCNyhus
  • If I was you, I'd leave Oklahoma, move to some dynamic city—NYC—LA—SFO—CHI—DC—BOS—enroll in a school there, work during the day and go to school at night.

I don't think your GPA should impede you from enrolling in another school at all. If you want, you can probably enroll in school and never transfer your old record over, but if your old record follows schools will still accept you as an adult student.

If you enroll in school full time, you can get a good deal of living expenses money with your student loans, which can help with your living expenses.

• If I was you, I'd leave Oklahoma, move to some dynamic city—NYC—LA—SFO—CHI—DC—BOS—enroll in a school there, work during the day and go to school at night.

I don't think your GPA should impede you from enrolling in another school at all. If you want, you can probably enroll in school and never transfer your old record over, but if your old record follows schools will still accept you as an adult student.

If you enroll in school full time, you can get a good deal of living expenses money with your student loans, which can help with your living expenses.

Yep, I agree with this. I don't even think it's a bad idea to move to one of these towns and not enroll in school right away. Learning is amazing, but figure out what you want in life before you rack up those student loans and build your prison of debt.

This might sound like some non-sense advice but read as much as you can, hang out with as many interesting people as you can, and try to formulate what you want out of life. I think a lot of 23 year olds who have spent their entire life in (insert boring place), couldn't REALLY tell you if they'd rather be an accountant or an acrobat.

Also, I third what the others have said, fuck as much as possible. Be safe, but fuck the kind of girls who don't fuck guys with love handles, because when you have love handles you'd wish you did.
  • messimessi
    Hrair
    YOU DO SOMETHING AMAZING
    i hate seeing people sucking at life
    Post edited by messi at 2012-05-22 03:17:10
    am i a good boy?

it doesn't have to be anything

will u sign my petition to change the name of our planet from Earth to Poor Thing?
  • messimessi
    Hrair
    Post edited by messi at 2012-05-22 03:15:53
    am i a good boy?

will u sign my petition to change the name of our planet from Earth to Poor Thing?
  • messimessi
    Hrair
    fuck. i cant relax until you ,random person become super happy and do what you want.
    what do you want to do? do it.
    am i a good boy?

• messimessi
    Hrair
    because i'm going to do something beautiful with my life and i wish everybody the same
    am i a good boy?

• messimessi
    Hrair
    at least youre not 40 or something.
    am i a good boy?

• messimessi
    Hrair
    listen to some terence mckenna . take drugs and create art
    am i a good boy?

• I am 23 as well... I live by L.A. the entertainment capital of the world ima enroll into a contemporary music school for audio engineering... I've been in bands, i got vision and inspiration to change the formula of creativity... expectation are our limitations. I go into my journey of sound pretty confident, all i need is the funds and resources. Break through the limited factors were 23 dude, whats stopping us from doing what we love?
  • Whats good family? I'm currently 23 and I haven't finished college because I flunked out of community college. I am not a stupid person was just lost at 18. So now at 23 with my dreams of pro soccer fleeing away from reality, I find myself while working in a mind numbing job(pool cleaner) wishing for something more and desperately not wanting to end up like my co-workers..zombies stuck in Oklahoma

How do I get my shit together?? With a shitty gpa wtf do I do? If I move can I just start over???
    Thanks for any help.

Step one, follow your passion. Start joining soccer leagues, maybe teach some kids soccer. Keep active with your passion. You never know where a job will open up closer to your passion. Sometimes jobs are just a means of living, but the key is to shift your movement into the direction you want. College isn't the only path. What other hobbies interests you? Even think of things you don't think are possible. When you empower yourself almost anything is possible.
    The resistance to the technocratic military industrial complex begins Off-Grid
    http://mindcomics.com/OffGrid.html
  • I'm 29 and I spent the majority of my 20s dreading getting older... but guess what: age truly is a number. A friend of mine turned 24 on Saturday and she was all depressed, I had to laugh in her face (in a completely loving way).

You're a smart guy, you're doing fine. The world's at a really odd place now (economy, conflict) so don't use things like your job as an indicator of your value. I agree with @bob-loblaw, read a whole fucking lot. And also, read some weird stuff. I recommend reading about occultism and chaos magic.

Realize that you have the power to make the world you want. I spent a lot of my 20s just waiting for life to find me; it doesn't work that way.

You're doing fine, just appreciate the world around you. Even if that involves less aware people in your vicinity, appreciate the world that created them.

Take walks in nature if you can. Become grounded in your reality and don't allow the externalized pressures of society to affect your feelings toward yourself. As you become internally stronger, the universe begins to mold to your will. (this is not bullshit) :)
  • I don't know why this posted twice!
    Post edited by kungfu2882 at 2012-05-22 11:02:49
  • Also, read the ILLUMINATUS! TRILOGY, since you are 23.

@quietthomas is right.
  • messimessi
    Hrair
    btw i love soccer . its art.
    am i a good boy?

• It's all about will power.

Seriously.

You can manifest some profound shit with your nose to the grind-stone. It will be painful, unpleasant, depressing and seemingly futile at times, but if you've got that moxie, you can make anything happen.

Don't be a victim of anything. Especially the circumstance you find yourself in. Transcend it. You need to take action.

• I'd avoid schooling (Debt) unless you have a related plan or passion.
    Post edited by Gubermensch at 2012-05-22 14:58:41
  • ChallengerChallenger
    Hrair, Vampire Killer

moxie

everyone needs more.
    .'. ParAdoX .'.
  • Could be worse OP... You could be 31, recently unemployed, and living in a place with a shit job market
  • thank you all for your replies! it is honestly very heart warming and it has also givin me alot to think about. I certainly dont feel as hopeless as before. if u have more advice i gladly welcome it!
  • messimessi
    Hrair
    i'm happy you're feeling better
    Post edited by messi at 2012-05-22 21:00:37
    am i a good boy?

• @SalimTheRasta I'm 23 turning 24 at the end of this month. I also flunked out of community college, but I went back after being diagnosed with ADHD. I only went part time, but I got straight A's and am enrolling into a pretty good school this fall. Adderall and meditation have been a miracle worker.

Don't give up, trust your instincts!
    Post edited by withMetta at 2012-05-22 22:32:58
    May all beings be free from harm.
  • How do I get my shit together?? With a shitty gpa wtf do I do? If I move can I just start over???
    Thanks for any help.

BORN 81. I gradumated college with a 2.359~2.350 (that's a range) in 2004. Then i sat around for a whole year painting houses (not getting high bc i feared drug tests) and then the next summer came i was still painting houses and got dumped and moved out and it was looking bleak ...

BUT THEN i got drunk at a browns game and fell down a hill and smashed by head and needed surgery and a year+ of rehab ...

SO I HAD to take some shitty couple of jobs mostly rehabilitation type/brain training/learning how to think again...

PLUS taking classes, trying to fix what i thought was a shit resume (was going to go into some sort of medical imaging/catscan/radar/bs) until....

A WORK chick turned me on to USAJOBS.GOV (is the gov't a safe place to work in a recession?), and they'll hire anyone.....

ANYONE....trust me, i thought i was quas qualified and egotisitcally smarter than everyone anyway, but when i met some of these people i work with and could think really awful things, but i'm just happy i'm alive and we're all human beings, we're in this together, and everyone probably has a hidden story so you're not special, or at least don't think you are, and....

IF YOU get on there and start surfing, you'll notice there's tons of random cities. Alaska? Fuck it, I'm gone! TX? Fuck it, I'm gone! VA? Fuck it, at least for a few years it's home. They're not all DC related. The one i found was (USPTO.GOV) and they're hiring ALL the time....ALL THE TIME!.....but you can kindof pick and choose what looks like a cool city, but the secret is...

BE BRAVE! Be a man! Explore! Conquer! But don't forget...you're getting a job now, your life is at it's funnest point right now and will just get shittier year by year (PESSIMISTIC!) but you have the world ahead of you, Kill that shit (POSITIVE!)

MY POINT is, dude, i was in dire straits, but you look and three or five years have passed like nothing. Things could always be worse, no matter where you are in life. Time pretty much heals all. Fuck your hometown, those people are not dead to you, you can come back and visit/facebook/NONEOFTHEABOVE, but if you're able to get some time to yourself, you can start exploring the inner depths of your soul... no fear, or lots of fear and strength, or just put your head down and one foot in front of the other and whatever happens trust your instincts, or join a gang. no, don't join a gang.
    (note, careful searching gang bangers...you can imagine EDIT:no actually, go ahead)
    Post edited by jdirt2019 at 2012-06-04 02:35:39
  • @jdirt2019 you're an alright dude - i like you're style.

• Find something you enjoy doing that you can constantly progress at or you will live a life without meaning.

your situation isn't bad at all, I'm a fuckin high school dropout but at least I know things could be alot worse considering that I have friends that are stuck in prison right now.
    "It's blue cheese dressing or go fuck your mother"
  • I'm 23 too! I work shitty jobs too! Sometimes I feel down about it as if I've been asleep at my meat body wheel but then I realize so long as I'm alive I have the grand opportunity to become happy by working towards it. Its important to have goals and thing close to you that you love. Let that flow out of you and guide you like a sixth sense. Now when I get off work I dedicate a few hours just before bed to learning ableton/music making or reading or generally decompressing in a deliberate way. Im also looking to lock in my associates with just a few classes left. Afterward, I'll be looking at the sustainability/non-profit sector for career opportunities. If work is to be the primary mode of western adult life it might as well be meaningful right? If you're interested in volunteer service while earning money for school have a look at the Americorps programs.

Finally, I made a similar thread a bit ago and got really solid advice from many of the same lovely folks in this thread. I hope you find it useful:

http://duncantrussell.com/forum/discussion/1382/advise-needed-getting-out-of-minimum-wage-jobs-without-a-college-degree#Item_29
    Post edited by moonanite at 2012-06-02 03:26:56

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!