New Music Discovery
  • Some people say there is no good music coming out nowadays. Those people ate lead paint chips and lived under powerlines as children. Their family tree is a straight stick. There are so many awesome bands with great songs coming out every day it's impossible to keep up with them all....unless you come to this discussion and just watch some youtube embeds. All music forms are welcome.

Here's one that leaked and just came out today,psychedelic,polyrhythmic,8 string masters,Meshuggah's latest album Koloss. Recorded in a room,as a band with tube amps. Previews of some of the best tracks. They sound rawer they have in almost a decade and still pissed about the state of things.

Post edited by DrStrib at 2012-04-20 23:47:56
    “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” -Frank Zappa
  • @harrymanbach Meshuggah is good fun for the whole family!

I saw these guys last night. :D

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up. -- Paul Valéry
  • Alabama Shakes. Their album comes out in April. Her voice is greatness. I loves em.

• Earthy and raw I like it.

Post edited by harrymanbach at 2012-03-28 03:31:20
    “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” -Frank Zappa
  • Hey friends, I was already a huge fan of Duncan's when he made my year by giving us a shout out a couple months back (on the fb).

We're live tonight in Boston, lot of tour dates coming up, and our new album comes out May 22nd Website Here. The new album is called:

It's about the potential of the human spirit & the weird times we live in. And girls.

Hope you enjoy it! If any purple popes come out to one of our shows please say hello. I'd love to connect with the awesome gathering of people here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lPvL_n_z1S4
    Enjoys camaraderie, fellowship, and bringing it. https://twitter.com/JahHills
  • New music this month from High On Fire.

• usernames_are_hardusernames_are_hard
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me., Banned
    Oracle42 said:

@harrymanbach Meshuggah is good fun for the whole family!

I saw these guys last night. :D

Damn... what an awesome jam!
    Feel free to join some of us at http://tinychat.com/dtfh
  • That IS an awesome jam. Makes me want to get a mandolin and fiddle.

• Post edited by Anil at 2012-04-01 14:29:29
  • Animals as leaders, like Meshuggah, use eight string guitars and lots of polyrhythmic syncopation. The guitar player Tosin Abasi is pushing guitar boundaries more than anyone these days.

and that new meshuggah album is so good!!
    Post edited by weed at 2012-04-01 15:16:16
  • some great music posted here.. @advancedman that alabama snakes song is great.
    @anil nice post, that kendrick lamar song is nice and mellow.
  • @weed Animals as Leaders are amazing. They got lumped in with the djent scene but I think they are the next logical evolution of Prog Metal. Crazy respect for Tosin Abasi,I have the same guitar he uses and am still growing from the 7 string to the 8.

New Burzum Coming May 21st. It has already leaked and I have my pre-order in. The album reminds me of Filosofem heavily.

And for the non-metal fans a more ambient track.

• Fortune Howl. Beautiful trippy ambient beats/soundscapes. Also great tripping to.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQVd97kb5g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS3NAgnc2Os
  • I'm obviously keeping up with the metal side of things. Got a huge variety of music love but I HAVE to drop this beast in. A lost track from Vulgar Display of Power. Debuted at the Golden God awards. Pantera-Piss. Pantera want you to kill your vampires as well if you check the lyrics out.

RIP Dime,the opposite of a vampire,a sweet,sweet angel.

• Borknagar has a new one called Urd out. ICS Vortex(Melodic Operatic Vocals) sounds in fine form after departing Dimmu Borgir for IMHO greener pastures. The man has a hearty and robust yet beautiful singing voice. Pagan/Viking progressive metal from Norway.

• Here is my labor of love, made over a few years by sending files back and forth with my friend and collaborator. We are now done with the album now and trying to figure out how to get it noticed and listened too.

http://soundcloud.com/promapanda/sets
  • If you like Meshuggah look up The Contortionist they fucking rule, I'm on my phone at work so it would be a whore to link right now.
    Here we all feel alive, Here we use our minds, Let us form together, Use our minds, Recreate, redesign Here forever
    With a new world in our hands We will gain control
  • Here is my new mix that has few edits and track of mine in. Happens to be my new podcast. Take a listen, thanks.

Sufista - Remedy Podcast #1 by Sufista
    check out my music and artwork at http://sufista.com
  • Solidus said:

If you like Meshuggah look up The Contortionist they fucking rule, I'm on my phone at work so it would be a whore to link right now.

As long as it's not *vomits in mouth* Djent. I hate Djent like a case of herpes on a hot chick.

sufista said:

Here is my new mix that has few edits and track of mine in. Happens to be my new podcast. Take a listen, thanks.

Sufista - Remedy Podcast #1 by Sufista

I think I will. As long as it's not Djent,that is.

Post edited by harrymanbach at 2012-04-27 05:19:03
  • @harrymanbach While I will be the first to agree that a good deal of djent is shit and basically the new scene music, there are a few djent bands that do it extremely well
    Here we all feel alive, Here we use our minds, Let us form together, Use our minds, Recreate, redesign Here forever
    With a new world in our hands We will gain control
  • This is my friends band, they don't make any money but they should :)

• Slash here is our semi-troll jazz band "Smooth Kitten and the Fast Five"

• OKA has been making their rounds in the Canadian music festival the past few summers, definitely worth checking out!
    "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts"
  • Solidus said:

@harrymanbach While I will be the first to agree that a good deal of djent is shit and basically the new scene music, there are a few djent bands that do it extremely well

I agree. Animals as Leaders,Veil of Maya,Vildhjarta,etc. straight up destroy. I think the only bands I have a problem with have an almost anorexic guitar tone.
  • Are there any good bands that play 7 or 8 string guitars that aren't "metal"?
    Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • @DrunkenAdama I feel you man. Less Djent,More Django. I would look into jazz fusion and classical. That's what got me into the extra range of the instruments. Here's a few swinging guys though. Also Russian folk music is heavily based on a 7 string guitar of sorts.

This old maestro is truly humbling to watch.

and on the 8 string side,

• Those are all great. Thank you!

In my mind, the perfect math rock group has an 8-string guitarist. Surely there is one just waiting to blow the doors open.
  • @DrunkenAdama I'm sure there is. Fuzz pedal and maybe a High A instead of a Lo F#.
  • New to me this month and recommendable:

Grails
    Avett Brothers
    Alabama Shakes
  • Some awesome tracks in this thread! My contributions are both from projects of Nick Zammuto. There are some weird but likable innovations on each track.

The Books are more string based, Zammuto uses a more traditional modern rock ensemble. Both are moving and philosophical in my opinion.

What do you guys think?

The Books. Enjoy Your Worries... You May Never Have Them Again.

Zammuto. Zebra Butt

• @Jnanaganja Both great. The Zammuto track is very "funk". I've yet to listen to the entire album.

This 25 minute love freak out came on last night as i was at the warm fuzzy part of an intense shroom session. It was nearly too much.

Don't be distracted, don't be distracted
    Do you want to be alone?
    Do you want to be alone?
    For life isn't stained of righteousness pain
    The seed and the hail, all impossible flights for an interesting light

Do you want to love me more?
    Do you want to love me more?
    For love is the breath
    If water and wave is cursed by the same thing that nurtured its shame
    Is it worth all the work?

Have you failed to feel delight? (No, I don't want to feel pain)
    Have you failed to feel delight? (No, I don't want to feel pain)
    Instead of the life, lived tired and lost, have you left it at last
    Where it floundered its death with the language of ghosts

Do you want to be afraid? (No, I don't want to feel pain)
    Do you want to be afraid? (No, I don't want to feel pain)
    For life in the cage where where courage's mate runs deep in the wake
    For the scariest things are not half as enslaved

Post edited by DrunkenAdama at 2012-05-01 20:41:41
  • New Ihsahn album,Eremita(Hermit) drops June 19th. A track has leaked and you can get it from Amazon for free.

Some words about 7 and 8 string guitars from him.

• Here is an song from an album that came out of nowhere and blew me away. It is way easy to put it on and listen to the whole thing in one go and wonder what the heck just happened

here is another because I love this album

• Found this one on Metalsucks.net . A bizarre mix of J-pop and metalcore BABYMETAL hails from Japan. They have slick production and some sick riffs. Instead of throwing "devil horns" they throw "fox hands". I dare you not to smile.

Post edited by harrymanbach at 2012-06-22 20:02:05

• One of the guys who is in Graf has a new cd from one of his other bands Ghostlimb.
    http://vitriolrecords.bandcamp.com/

Post edited by BigNasty at 2012-06-25 20:28:14
  • Some local Acoustic Punk Folk,Slum Happy. Known one of the guys for years.
    One Hundred & Eighty Three EP by Slum Happy
    And an older one from last year,used to car pool to work every day with him.

Post edited by harrymanbach at 2012-09-07 13:48:46
  • mister3mmamister3mma
    Hrair, Banned
    Tumbleweed Wanderers. Beatles Meets Black Keys http://youtu.be/K9XhUsA8DdQ

and
    http://youtu.be/vdeKX7sQ0iU
    The Infinte mystery unravels
    We are temporary beings & how we treat others is how we are treated
    I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints & then I smoke two more
  • Came across this the other day and haven't been able to stop listening to it since. I'm usually not too into electronic music but holy fuck is this shit mindblowing.

• The Acacia Strain has a new album coming out Oct. 9th. Judging from the singles it's a companion piece to Wormwood and is the soundtrack to when Skynet goes live.

This song is about Plato's allegory of the cave.

Post edited by harrymanbach at 2012-09-07 13:39:16
  • I went DEEP into a cave and discovered this revelation. Come and Get this Medicine.

Big Medicine the Pharmakon by Big Medicine the Pharmakon

• Apocaloptimist1
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me.
    The Acacia Strain sounded amazing until the cookie monster singer kicked in. Damn shame.
    Anti-Profit Permaculture Campgrounds for Creative Minds!
    http://www.CampExist.org

• Apocaloptimist1
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me.
    kenm215 said:

I went DEEP into a cave and discovered this revelation. Come and Get this Medicine.

Big Medicine the Pharmakon by Big Medicine the Pharmakon

This is mind blowing! Thanks for spreading it.

Anti-Profit Permaculture Campgrounds for Creative Minds!
    http://www.CampExist.org

• The future ahead of us is beyond our wildest imaginings. It can't be any other way. Business as usual is off the menu.
  • @Kamehameha Do you like Andrew Jackson Jihad?

May all beings be free from harm.
  • Somehow that reminds me of this

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!