Books on meditation
  • Hey everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any good books on the subject of chanting and meditation.

Thanks everyone
    Post edited by DrStrib at 2012-04-10 17:11:21
  • Hi @Gruneir, I recently bought "The Meditation Handbook by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso" which was recommended/required reading by the Buddhist/meditation center that i recently joined. ..i'm still waiting for it to come in the mail so if you get a copy maybe we can have future dialogue :)
  • It's deffinetly a book I'm going to look into. I've read a few ram dass books as well as awakening the Buddha within by lama surya das as well as listened to some Zola rimpoche lectures on the subject
  • Have you read Ram Dass "Journey of Awakening"? It's a pretty nuts'n'bolts affair about meditation. Paramhansa Yogananda's "Metaphysical meditations" was the book that introduced me to meditation when I was a kid, I still think some of the mantra's in there can be useful.
  • Are you a beginner looking for some help, or are you experienced and looking to go further?

If you're beginning, I wouldn't read a book filled with zen-speak, I'd just start sitting. I'd be happy to detail what I think you should try to do, and not do, and what one should try to get out of meditation at first.
  • After trying out many different methods of mediation this one resonated the best with me

True Meditation - Adyashanti
  • Hey. I'm pretty much a beginner. I find I lack focus
  • YOU
    Hrair
    Post edited by YOU at 2014-07-17 12:13:31
  • the radiance sutras - tantric hinduism
    mindfulness in plain english - theravada buddhism (vipassana)
    vedantic meditation - vedic hinduism
    words of my perfect teacher - tantric buddhism (vajrayana)
    zen mind, beginners mind - zen

the radiance sutras are really the bomb. available at lorinroche.com
    Post edited by sitar at 2012-04-10 09:16:10
    Mr. Takahashi would like to see you all in his office now

sitaramdas.com
    @sitaramdas
  • Ditto on Zen Mind, Beginners Mind. Just reading a page of it in the morning will set me up powerfully for the rest of the day.
  • Jon Kabat-Zinn - "Coming to Our Senses" and "Wherever you go, there you are"

Here is a talk:
  • Right now I'm reading Meditations to Change your Brain by Rick Hanson and Rick Mendius. One is a psychologist and the other is a neuroscientist - both trained in Buddhist meditation. It's a decent book. The audio book guides you through meditation sessions.

As a side note, I'm also reading the War of Art by Steven Pressfield, about how to overcome your creative block and find your muse. Some good ideas to "meditate" on. I think someone on the Joe Rogan Experience was talking about it.
  • Yah. I've read the pressfield boom a while ago. Joe has mentioned it a few times
  • KwaiChangCaineKwaiChangCaine
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me.
    Namo Amituofo
  • Pretty good book on this subject IMO is "Peace is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Han

http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Is-Every-Step-Mindfulness/dp/0553351397
    こたえは いつも 私のむねに。
  • brimpy said:

Are you a beginner looking for some help, or are you experienced and looking to go further?

If you're beginning, I wouldn't read a book filled with zen-speak, I'd just start sitting. I'd be happy to detail what I think you should try to do, and not do, and what one should try to get out of meditation at first.

I'm a beginner! I would love some advice/books to get started.
  • duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah
    I'm reading "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" By Chogyam Trungpa. It's awesome.
    Post edited by brimpy at 2012-05-01 22:09:07
  • YOU said:

I'll throw in another vote for True Meditation.

Here's a guided meditation from Adya on Youtube:

Meditated with this last night and had the most intense bodyhigh I've ever had, and I've done all sorts of drugs. Really fucking interesting experience. I'm not trying to get high with meditation though, so it was actually more like a distraction, as i wasn't able to continue meditation after that. Enjoyable nonetheless. :)

duncan said:

I'm reading "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" By Chogyam Trungpa. It's awesome.

Interesting. Wiki'd the dude, according to Wikipedia he was an alcoholic and a cocaine addict who had sex with his students. And yet he was a highly respected meditation master. I might just have to read that book.
    Post edited by kurtsu at 2012-04-16 11:48:41
  • best meditation book i've ever read, without competition, of any kind

imageimage

(massive ingestion of hashish is a pre-requisite for proper comprehension, but trust me, it'll get you there)
    Post edited by WeedmasterP at 2012-04-16 12:08:17
    it is what it is, but it ain't what it's cracked up to be
  • Thanks Duncan and everyone else. Many great suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.
  • I've found closing my eyes and letting them roll up toward the brow is very effective in opening the chakras. You will feel a cosmic 'buzz' of energy when combined with focused breathing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!