Organic vs Man-made
  • Most people have this retarded preconceived notion that organic is better than something that is created by humans. This is dumb. Nature is not perfect. There are many things that are beautiful that have been created in nature, but there are also some things that can be improved. For example: People believe that organic food is automatically better than processed food. I say bullshit. The majority of processes used in food production are solely purposed to reduce cost and speed production. If they wanted to develop the healthiest food in the fucking world, they could.
    mdd0127 said:
    @jeremy
    Go use those big red lips and find a dick to suck.
  • Yeah. Well natural and unnatural is a false dichotomy a lot of people have, some people actually think a tree is more natural than a car, but ultimately both are spawned from the Earth. The problem is human nature sometimes involves greed, or not caring for the health of his/her fellow human, and thus we have all the unhealthy poison you can buy at the supermarket. But there are alternatives. If you're motivated/smart enough you can navigate through all the shit and live a healthy lifestyle. No need to blame anyone else, really.
  • I believe everything I need comes from the earth. You get some dirt, water, and plant a seed. Patients and you can have the cheapest food ever. If you had a community of people doing this you could share. Soon enough Money for food would become a joke. Kinda like it is now lol
  • DireGoat said:

Yeah. Well natural and unnatural is a false dichotomy a lot of people have, some people actually think a tree is more natural than a car, but ultimately both are spawned from the Earth. The problem is human nature sometimes involves greed, or not caring for the health of his/her fellow human, and thus we have all the unhealthy poison you can buy at the supermarket. But there are alternatives. If you're motivated/smart enough you can navigate through all the shit and live a healthy lifestyle. No need to blame anyone else, really.

Very true. I was listening to some Terrence Mckenna today, and he was getting the point across that even the most complex computers in the world are still a part of nature, because everything that we use to build these machines comes from nature. Silver, gold, iron etc. These telepathic machines are just as natural as a tree, its just the monkeys used there hands to put it together.

The same argument discussion can be used for the whole food and drug thing as well. So many people are against pharmacological/western drugs/foods because they aren't natural, but maybe these things are just the next eventual step in our evolution. Or maybe they will all be the death of us. Too early to tell.
    "I could fuck an oyster and cum." - Duncan
  • I should point out that i do stand on the side of organic foods. Sure it may be natural because it comes from the earth, but there is absolutely a difference in a naturally grown apple and one that has been fucked with pesticides and chemicals from seedling to picking stage. The most disturbing thing I noticed when personally differentiating between organic and natural foods, which you should do. If you have any interest in it, don't base your decisions on what "researchers" tell you. Find out yourself. But what i noticed, was how a natural apple would rot and a chemically injected apple would rot.

The organic apple would deteriorate by going brown slowly, softening, eventually growing some type of mold on the outside. You could tell that it was passed its edible stage.

Not the pesticide/super market apple. This thing lasted forever (Think fries experiment from Super Size Me). It was completely normal for a couple months, you could have picked it up and eaten it. Then i cut it open - the core was completely rotted. White cilia like mold through out the core. I can't imagine what those preservatives do to your body over time.
    "I could fuck an oyster and cum." - Duncan

• Processed food is designed for long term storage, and is awesome... for long trips, tornado bunkers, when we were indians, and so that after the apocalypse we'll still sort of know what a peach tastes like. Probably shouldn't be relying on it for no reason other than convience though. Zany new names and flavors! We're not braving the oceans on boats, we're just sitting here. Take the time to eat something fresh.

I like laptops and drywall though. Wood sealer, ammonia based fertilzer, etc.
  • Right now, organic food is healthier, but that's right now.

In the next ten-years, that may not be the case.

As of now, we only know so much about the human body, but with the internet and technology rapidly evolving, there will be improvements.
    mdd0127 said:
    @jeremy
  • Only if the concern is giving people legitimately good food and not just making a buck off the masses.

Will that happen in the next ten years?
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • I love you ladychef
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • This thread is not about politics..
    mdd0127 said:
    @jeremy
  • @Jeremy
    There is both "natural" and "synthetic" stuff out there that will fuck your body up! As well as stuff that will nourish, balance, fuel - and make you vital! We just have to get more and more educated (use science, common sense, traditional wisdom and first-hand experience) in order to discern what is conducive to health, and what is not.

When it comes to organic food (as opposed to inorganic food? da fuck), this is more about farming practices that provide the soil with more minerals, uses less energy/fossil fuels, don't imbalance the micro-flora in the soil too much, don't spray etc...

Is it better? Yes. If petrochemical farming only uses NPK.
    (And you don't get those pesky pesticides/fungicides).

If the soil already is rich, you can get away with that for a good while though.

Hydroponics and aeroponics is very sexy I must admit. Especially those guys adding trace mineral solutions to the mix. But it seems a little too energy intensive in production and maintenance of the systems IMO. Maybe I've just read too many permaculture books :P

Heirloom > GMO (I don't trust those creepy gmo scientist nerds)

I love you ladychef

I love @ladychef too :*
  • The best is when you plant a garden yourself. All the energy and care you show the plants nourishes them(along with the earth,sun,rain) and they in turn nourish you with their energy and love in the hope that you will plant their offspring next year. Is there any better way to live?
    “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” -Frank Zappa
  • @Jeremy
    There is both "natural" and "synthetic" stuff out there that will fuck your body up! As well as stuff that will nourish, balance, fuel - and make you vital! We just have to get more and more educated (use science, common sense, traditional wisdom and first-hand experience) in order to discern what is conducive to health, and what is not.

When it comes to organic food (as opposed to inorganic food? da fuck), this is more about farming practices that provide the soil with more minerals, uses less energy/fossil fuels, don't imbalance the micro-flora in the soil too much, don't spray etc...

Is it better? Yes. If petrochemical farming only uses NPK.
    (And you don't get those pesky pesticides/fungicides).

If the soil already is rich, you can get away with that for a good while though.

Hydroponics and aeroponics is very sexy I must admit. Especially those guys adding trace mineral solutions to the mix. But it seems a little too energy intensive in production and maintenance of the systems IMO. Maybe I've just read too many permaculture books :P

Heirloom > GMO (I don't trust those creepy gmo scientist nerds)

I love you ladychef

I love @ladychef too :*

I grew up on a farm and we rotated crops every year because different plants use different minerals from the soil. We also would till,disc and plow the soil and used organic mulches and manure from our cattle to replenish the soil during the frost and spring.
    “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” -Frank Zappa
  • @harrymanbach Man, I wish had those skilled ingrained from childhood. I'm learning though. And I'm gonna do more wwoofing in the years to come as well =)
  • @ladychef Well, I’ve only done volunteering once, in Hawaii (which was the best ever!!), and there I found a place myself. But I did meet a lot of people who went through wwoof.
    WWOOF is good for finding cool places, but it is better to get into permaculture networks and be referred.

Permaculture people will almost always be cooler than farmers because they focus so much on community and communication - not just you being a worker.

I you are ever going volunteering in Hawaii, go to the Puna area of the Big Island! A lot of permaculture hippies and a lot of established projects. And a Santo Daime church (if you are into that ayahuascha).
  • People make food a lot harder then it has to be, in my view anyways.

I mean, we evolved over hundreds of thousands of years, and had a 'natural' diet during that time. That exact same as any animal. Wouldn't our diet, that evolved along with us, be the best for us? Or is that just a crazy thought?

If that theory is true, then no, processed foods would be absolutely shit for us. I mean our ancestors didn't go around eating foods with a chemical taste. I get your overall theme of 'progress', but not all technology is progress. I.e. The internet is great, nuclear bombs, not so much. Besides, do you trust people who only value the bottom line on currency and profits to actually care about your well being? I sure don't.
    photo lao-tzu-field1copysmall.jpg
  • This has to be worse

then this

In a very common sense view. Your brain knows it.
    photo lao-tzu-field1copysmall.jpg
  • @Kamehameha messaged
    Post edited by Andy_Sunpopper at 2012-04-15 03:37:02

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!