First Heavy Dose of Mushrooms. Advice?
  • So tomorrow I will be taking my first heavy dose of mushrooms-5grams. The most I have experience before is 3-3.5 grams. I actually used to grow mushrooms a few years ago, and would say I have done them around 30 times. I feel pretty experienced, but I understand that 5 grams is going to take me places and show me things Ive never even thought of. That is why I want to do this. Im looking to really examine some aspects of myself that I would like to change and Im also really interested in exploring other realms of consciousness. I think what I am planning on doing is taking them around 2 in the afternoon tomorrow. My roommate just left town for a week so I have the house all to my self which is exactly what I want. I know a lot of people say to take them with someone, but after listening a lot to McKenna, I really feel the best way to achieve what Im after is to take them by myself. I don't plan on eating (except a kale shake for breakfast) until I ingest the mushrooms. Then Im going to carry out an examination of conscience (as McKenna would say) before I start to trip. Then, who knows...

Any advice or experiences from people who have taken really heavy doses before would be great! Thanks everyone!
    Post edited by RyanT at 2012-03-27 12:47:51
    Traveling through the Multiverse
  • put on some good music to aid your crossing...enjoy and appreciate it all. Become and stay one with the all...Please report.
    Eyes that have seen will know what I mean - Todd Rundgren
  • I definitely will! Can I ask, what music would you recommend. I wasn't really sure what to put on.. Really appreciate the advice by the way!
  • RyanT I'd recommend "Lusine - Language Barriers" , any album by Boards of Canada, or if you're tripping by yourself and you like getting deep, listen to Nordheim Transformed :)

That's if you wanna listen to music. Usually when I trip (sometimes even just after smoking pot) my brain makes it's own music. I prefer that...
    We take for granted things around / are child's play all the way down.
    | my shit | more |
  • Flying Lotus, Bonobo, and Meshuggah
  • Be fresh. I.e. not tired.

I took 5 gs and was unable to retain consciousness. That was solo after fasting 12 hrs. I only have one memory of intense visions.
  • You'll be fine, just give in.
  • right on, you'll be fine. you've got the right ideas. hell, i went into my first HEAVY trip as an asshole. i was drinking and smoking cigs. i had cheated on my girlfriend the month before. I was a fucking vampire.... but not after six hours of TRIPPIN BALLSSSS haha
    Post edited by fnord at 2012-03-27 14:46:21
    sunt lacrimae rerum
  • It depends after 30 trips you probably understand that the strength of the trip is dependent on factors regarding the strength and potency of the mushrooms. So it might just as well turn out that your heaviest 3 gram trip is going to be heavier than your 5 gram trip. It's not a huge boost in dose. There are higher doses that people do with far less experience and be fine. You are experienced enough to know what to expect. And to accept, what you didn't expect.
  • I love coming back to this thread and seeing nothing but positive comments! I really appreciate everyones advice and input! It means a lot. I will definitely be posting how it went, probably on Thursday. I really want to remember what happens. I was thinking of getting a voice recorder or something, or trying to use my phone... I don't know! Any ideas?
  • if you've got 30+ trips in your bank, don't be worried about 5g. IMO, it shouldn't be too much more intense than 3.5g. If it starts to go downhill, ride it out, remember you'll be coming back down soon. I had a bad trip recently when I ate 7g solo. It was the only time I thought about going to the hospital. I thought about the story of Dennis McKenna losing his mind for a couple weeks in the rain forest, felt like I was going to end up like that. For me, 7g is the madness inducing boundary I'm scared to cross.
    Post edited by PINDAR at 2012-03-27 15:41:31
  • RyanT said:

I love coming back to this thread and seeing nothing but positive comments! I really appreciate everyones advice and input! It means a lot. I will definitely be posting how it went, probably on Thursday. I really want to remember what happens. I was thinking of getting a voice recorder or something, or trying to use my phone... I don't know! Any ideas?

I've thought about doing this before. Always got freaked out about the recording and everything involved, soundwaves, energy, etc.
    I had a camera with me once, ended up with weird pictures of the inside of the shower.
    A book to write or draw in can be awesome, but don't try to force yourself to use or create anything. If you are drawn to something or inspired just go with it.
    I wasted a trip once being frustrated with a sketchbook.

Looking forward to hearing how it went!
    I measured my waistline in planck lengths and now I feel awful.
    photo tmp_824317984_zps500a3873.jpeg
    Speak the mega cool, get funky as a goal.
  • RyanT said:

I love coming back to this thread and seeing nothing but positive comments! I really appreciate everyones advice and input! It means a lot. I will definitely be posting how it went, probably on Thursday. I really want to remember what happens. I was thinking of getting a voice recorder or something, or trying to use my phone... I don't know! Any ideas?

I always find it difficult to bring back coherent ideas. From my last trip I had this written down:
    family = man+woman+love

I like McKenna's analogy of a fishnet. When you have a psychedelic experience you want to cast your net out and try to bring back ideas that are not too big to express in words, not too small that they're trivial, but middle sized ideas that can be transmitted effectively and say something important about the experience.
  • PINDAR said:

if you've got 30+ trips in your bank, don't be worried about 5g. IMO, it shouldn't be too much more intense than 3.5g. If it starts to go downhill, ride it out, remember you'll be coming back down soon. I had a bad trip recently when I ate 7g solo. It was the only time I thought about going to the hospital. I thought about the story of Dennis McKenna losing his mind for a couple weeks in the rain forest, felt like I was going to end up like that. For me, 7g is the madness inducing boundary I'm scared to cross.

I would like to clarify that I probably have done 3.5 grams maybe 5-7 times. All the other times I was making a weak tea or eating a small amount like 1-1.5 grams or less, always with friends, "having fun". And I never was in the mind set I am now. So Im not as experienced as that first statement may seem. Sorry about that. I was reading your comment, then re-read my comment and I feel I need to clarify that.
    Post edited by RyanT at 2012-03-27 16:29:15
  • This is pretty relevant...

We take for granted things around / are child's play all the way down.
    | my shit | more |
  • @Clarion LOL Thanks man!! Ive listened to this so many times in the last few days! I love McKenna!
  • In the dark is always best for parts of it
    Heavenly Devine
  • @PINDAR Really good advice man! Thanks a lot! I have heard McKenna say that, but had kinda forgotten about it until I read your comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!