DTFH 'Regular' gardening thread
  • Hey there,

This thread is for all things 'regular' gardening-wise, if you know what I mean.

I started seeds about 3 weeks ago and have finally been able to plant them outside. I live in a climate where there are very few days where the temp goes below 40 deg F, so I can usually do some sort of outdoor gardening year round.

I will post some pictures of my garden and what I am working with.

I would love to see pictures of your garden if you are into that sort of a thing.

I have been attempting to grow a large portion of our veg that we consume, so I would also ask you to contribute any recipes or tips for making things out of your 'bounty'

Lastly I would also like to contribute to this thread my attempt at pickling alot of the surplus veggies that I get so it will last longer. One of the problems with backyard gardening is that you can have too much stuff, this was a problem for me in the past, and I really want to see if I can preserve my surplus this year.
    Heres the pics:
    IMG_0018

IMG_0020
    Seed Starting area

IMG_0021
    New recruits

IMG_0022
    Bonsai Rosemary

IMG_0023
    Quinoe

IMG_0024
    Tomato, Brussell Sprouts, Kale

IMG_0025
    Lettuce, Gala mache

IMG_0026
    Purple lettuce, Corn, Tomatoes

IMG_0027
    Potato (russet) tomato and Strawberrys

IMG_0028
    Strawberry, Tomato Potato (russet)

IMG_0029
    Swiss chard (in front) green and purple lettuce, on the back right I have planted corn and they havent sprouted yet.

Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-03-22 14:11:20
  • Very nice set-up. Seems like you have a good system going on. I love the idea of growing my own veggies, I'd like to get into it when I have some more space and time.
  • usernames_are_hardusernames_are_hard
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me., Banned
    Fucking awesome! I totally forgot that I could grow my own Kale now that it's spring and bypass paying $3+ for a small, puny bunch of it at the grocery store.
    Feel free to join some of us at http://tinychat.com/dtfh
  • Wow, I am very jealous that you already have some plants in the ground! I can't really get anything in the ground until the end of April which makes for a pretty short growing season. I will probably start some cucs, tomatoes and hot peppers inside, but the rest are starting from seed. I like to blend leafey seeds to get a nice salad mix when you cut down a row. Your thread inspired me to go out back and scratch around a bit before I go to the gym :)

I want to try more containers this year.
    Post edited by M0XIE at 2012-03-22 14:52:52
  • I live in the central part of my city, so during the Spring thaw, some weird shit gets turned out from the soil. This year I am finding a lot of glass shards... Not too pleasant when working on your hands and knees in the dirt, but it could be worse. I will probably throw down a lot more fresh soil into my boxes.
  • We should get our pack from the seed company soon! We get our seeds from Fedco Co-Op seed packers in Waterville, ME. If anyone is around that general vicinity, they are excellent! They don't carry genetically engineered seeds, and they are a part of the Public Patent Foundation's lawsuit against Monsanto. Occupy your garden!

Can anyone offer any tips on container gardening?

Post edited by M0XIE at 2012-03-23 07:53:18
  • I would say first,

Use some potting soil from the local nursery or "depot", the reason is that these mixes usually either have a good nutrient balance (the whole N-P-K thing).

I use this, and mix about 2 teaspoons for every 3 or so gallons of soil
    similar to the soil I have been using (i usually buy the cheapest stuff)

From what I have found having a 3-2-1 ratio of nutes seems to do well. The vigoro is 12-10-5 so it is around that rating.

Make sure that your soil drains well. When container gardening you want to make sure that when you water you fill the pot with water, this will make the plant 'think' that it has 'rained'. You should see the leaves droop for a period of about an hour or so, and then they 'perk' back up.

I recommend starting your seeds inside, all you really need is a small flourescent light and a warm place. If when starting seeds you start to see gnats, make sure to bake your dirt (I go 30 mins at 350) before putting it in cups, the baking will take care of any pests that have found their way into the mix while in transit.

Bugs like gnats and whiteflies are common in potting soil due to bugs laying eggs in the soil when going through the manufacturing proccess.

More to come...

Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-03-23 12:00:54
  • Is there an online specific tool that measures where the sun will be in my yard throughout the day and during the growing season?
    Post edited by wolvesatmydoor at 2012-04-03 12:29:35
  • Ill be making a youtube gardening account and ill post all my videos here.
    Check out my ebook Nip The Bud - The Fastest Way to Quit Weed guaranteed. Link : http://bit.ly/NipTheBud ( Get it though Duncans Amazon Portal to help out the podcast )
  • Started tying the green beans that put up reaching shoots up to my bamboo trellis. Lettuce, Spinach, and Swiss Chard patch starting to get chewed up by bugs, so I'm increasing my harvest yield for my smoothies. Need to clip the green onions again, will probably get three to four cups out of it. Tomatoes, Dill, and Cilantro growing big and tall in Aquaponics unit No. 1 & 2 and the vertical NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) system. Should have some fruits in a few weeks once the plants get overgrown. Broccoli plants keep going to seed so I keep having to cut them.

The strawberries are putting out fruits, but the growth is slow. My transplanted oregano bush is finally putting down roots and coming back.

All in all it looks to be a good growing season.
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • @wolvesatmydoor

Im pretty sure that you can use this website as long as you know your lat

http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/coordsmotion/daylighthoursexplorer.html
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-02 19:48:23
  • @thechosenone

That would be awesome!

I am still into that idea that you floated about the gardeningcast thing. I think it could be a cool monthly thing that we could do. That way we would be able to get enough info and topics to talk about.

Let me know

and anyone else that would be interested in being a part of something like that then just let me know in this thread.
  • @Doctor_Bob

Wow that sounds cool. I would love to get an aquaponics setup going. I have been purchasing whole fishes lately to get better at filleting them. I went bass fishing last week and was able to use my new skills on the fish.

I agree that the season seems to be shaping up well. Thanks for stopping by
  • @Tombutler That would be great Ill brainstorm a bit and send you some ideas. I made this really quick just to show you guys whats growing on over here.

edit:video deleted
    Post edited by thechosenone at 2012-04-11 23:17:30
    Check out my ebook Nip The Bud - The Fastest Way to Quit Weed guaranteed. Link : http://bit.ly/NipTheBud ( Get it though Duncans Amazon Portal to help out the podcast )
  • @Tombutler That would be great Ill brainstorm a bit and send you some ideas. I made this really quick just to show you guys whats growing on over here.

Sweet video
    Sounds great. Ill do the same.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-02 20:42:30
  • TomButler said:

@Doctor_Bob

Wow that sounds cool. I would love to get an aquaponics setup going. I have been purchasing whole fishes lately to get better at filleting them. I went bass fishing last week and was able to use my new skills on the fish.

I agree that the season seems to be shaping up well. Thanks for stopping by

What you need:

-Fish (this part is pretty obvious)
    -Fish food
    -Any container that will hold your preferred number of fish (technically 1 cubic foot of water per fish, a general rule of thumb is a ratio of 1:4 tank contents to bed contents. Basically, for every one part of water and fish, you'll want to have four parts plant and bed material.)
    -A submersible pump
    -Learn how to make a Bell Siphon. It's easier than it may seem at first. The water rises to the level that you cut the inner PVC downspout at. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqKwRinbHdc&feature=fvst
    -Have a separate container with either tubing or PVC connected to the submersible pump that pushes the water up to it.
    -A medium to put the plants in. Either gravel (which you need to wash thoroughly, but it's cheap) or hydroton (which you don't need to wash, it's easier to work with, but it's somewhat expensive per pound).
    -A water testing kit you can purchase at any pet store. You don't want the ammonia, pH, or nitrites to be too high, but nitrates are ok because it informs you that the plants are doing their job.
    -A submersible aquarium heater.
    -A submersible aerator to ensure the dissolved oxygen levels are sufficient for the fish to breathe.

If you're using tap water, you need two things to get the water quality to the level that that it won't kill off the fish:

-Vitamin C tablets (ascorbic acid), pulverized and put in the water to neutralize the chlorine.
    -Salt, to ensure fish diseases don't take hold after they are introduced to their new environment.

Aside from all that, the design you want is entirely up to you.

I found a pretty good .pdf while searching for the Vitamin C and salt to water ratios (unsuccessfully): http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/adams/gh/pdf/Intro_Aquaponics.pdf

The whole system will run you anywhere from 100-300 dollars depending on how much you decide to complexify it.

Good luck dude!
    Post edited by Doctor_Bob at 2012-04-03 00:00:16
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • One of my weed plants died today.. 1 out of 2.
    r.i.p
  • @Doctor_Bob
    Thanks so much for taking the time to write down all the info. I will be working on this project very soon. Thanks again

Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-03 10:11:17

Post edited by thechosenone at 2012-04-08 02:17:21
  • Not to be a total douche or anything...

But I made this thread for 'Regular' Gardening in an attempt to promote federally legal plant growing knowledge.

Im pretty sure that there are a few threads out there about 'special' gardening.

Once again not trying to be a douche (seems like everytime I say that I follow it with something that sounds douchey to me).
  • Was a bit douchey Tom.
    Post edited by thechosenone at 2012-04-03 15:55:19
  • It should be legal and considered regular. Does anyone know any good places for salvia cuttings?
    Post edited by thechosenone at 2012-04-03 16:00:19
  • It should be legal and considered regular.

I agree that it should be legal. and that it was a bit douchey.

I just dont want the "spot" blown up with Leo
  • It is understandable as many of us seem to be more open on this forum.
  • The weather has been great lately and have been seeing large amounts of growth out in the ole backyard.

Took some pictures earlier and will post them up soon.

any other gardeners out there in the multiverse?
  • The Quinoa has changed to this cool red color
    Quinoa

First Strawberry turning red
    First strawberry

Dealt with a snail problem so now the kale is growing fast
    Kale

as well as the lettuce
    Lettuce

• I'm thinking about growing some image

They have these things that you can basically grow mushrooms to eat on your counter top at home

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Roots-Oyster-Mushroom-it/dp/B0052Z92WA/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_b

I found this if anyone is interested in learning how to grow pure vitamin d in your backyard
    http://www.tobuildagarden.com/grow/grow-mushrooms.php
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-19 12:31:20
  • Here's an old picture of my little bridge to the neighbors property. It's getting kind of rickety though.

I'll take some pictures of my grape trellis, garden, etc. later. Where is a good place to host photos? I jacked that one off of myspace.
    Post edited by thatdude21601 at 2012-04-19 14:25:37
  • I post shit to flickr. just cause I can quickly load it from my phone without using cables.

That is a sweet bridge. what is that its bridging? is it a stream or just a storm drain? or similiar
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-19 15:07:51
  • I'm used to garden a lot with my mother when I was a little kid, but this is the first year I'm trying to do it by myself. Just a small garden of tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, thyme, chives, and tobacco, all from seed. I just planted, so I'm eagerly waiting for the first signs of germination. I'll post some pictures once things get going.
    एकम् सत् विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति
    That which exists is One, but sages call it by various names.
  • Working on mine today. I may post pictures soon. Its cool to watch your experiments and see what works and dosnt. My lettuce under bottles is growing a lot faster.
  • Krishna said:

I'm used to garden a lot with my mother when I was a little kid, but this is the first year I'm trying to do it by myself. Just a small garden of tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, thyme, chives, and tobacco, all from seed. I just planted, so I'm eagerly waiting for the first signs of germination. I'll post some pictures once things get going.

Sweet,

I was so confused when I first started growing stuff. It would die and I couldnt find out why. I learned after killing about 40 or so plants.

Good luck on your germination.
  • Working on mine today. I may post pictures soon. Its cool to watch your experiments and see what works and dosnt. My lettuce under bottles is growing a lot faster.

I am planning on building a gutter system that will drip down and grow lettuce.
    Im gonna copy this
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-19 16:48:42
  • I need one of those!
  • @TomButler It's just a little stream. That lettuce setup is bad ass! I have problems with lettuces, kale, brocoli, any leafy greens. Bugs from all over the world come in to eat em.

Here's the veggie garden. Nothing in it yet, but I have some tomatoes and peppers sprouting. I'll be putting canteloupe, corn, green beans, and sunflowers in too. I like to put those directly in the ground. Should look more interesting in a month or two.

Some young cherry & apple trees. Lilacs on the other side behind the well post.

Lilacs bloom. They don't last long, but they smell really strong while they're around. Trying to get the bushes to form a hedgerow near the driveway.

Wild rasberries. They grow so much better than plants you would get in a catalogue or shop. A lot louder flavor too. Go dig up a shoot, they're all over the east coast!

Some young plum trees. They made their first serious blooms this year, hopefully I'll get some fruit.

Grape vine.

Gooseberries growing on the post guarding my well. Needs to be moved though.

Blue Berries I planted this year. There are four of them, but this was the only one that doesn't look like a bunch of sticks sticking up.
  • Awesome,

Dont worry about not having anything in the veggie garden, its all about the before and after pictures.
  • There's some cool shit in this thread.

image Frower

My micro babies

image Mint+Horse Shit=Happy Mint

image This dude keeps an eye on the place
    I measured my waistline in planck lengths and now I feel awful.
    photo tmp_824317984_zps500a3873.jpeg
    Speak the mega cool, get funky as a goal.
  • @DrStribley You have a lovely yard. What do you do with all that mint though?
  • Thanks! Mint gets sold to restaurants in the area. Sell the flowers too.
    Froo froo plating, colorful salads and such.
  • how did you get in to selling the mint? @DrStribley

do you know people in the restaurant biz?
  • Farming is the family biz.
    Trying to get a job at another farm/restaurant type place.

Here's some beets n' white carrots

While picking them I thought of a great name for a 60's folk duo: Keets and Barrot
  • @DrStribley haha at keets and barrot, could have been big.. I need to start growing some things asap, you guys have given me inspiration.

I'm thinking jalapenos and tomatoes as starting points.
  • Jaleps and tomatoes are probly the easiest to start with, maybe get a few that are a few weeks old in addition to a seed pack. That way you cover your bases and can start learninby taking care of the live plants while you work on polishing your seed starting skills,

Any questions are welcomed
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-22 18:32:26
  • I'm seeing happy little sprouts in most of my pots now, although I caught some jerk bird eating at one of them before I shooed it away. Progress!
  • @krishna

How are your sprouts doing now? get rid of those little buggers(the birds)?

My garden has motha fuckin taken off. I had a cinco de drinko party and harvested a bunch of swiss chard from my garden and cooked it with some bacon and onions. It was legit.

My Kale has finally gotten to the point where I can take enough every day for my kale shakes (3 leaves) No more getting to the store and no kale in the the grocery section preventing me from waterslide poops (joe rogan gets credit for that one)
  • Most are doing fantastic. Will probably have to start transferring them to larger pots very soon. The tobacco didn't sprout at all, maybe bad seeds or I did something wrong. I'm struggling to keep the thyme alive, but I think they will pull through with some love. The rest are growing heartily.
  • I just found this thread. I live in a condo but have a large amount of land that was cleared for development and then left to return to nature and taken over by the county. I I started a garden back there and will post some photos soon.
  • M0XIEM0XIE
    Hrair
    Put some seeds in yesterday: Kale, Spinach, Salad Mix, Carrots, Scarlet Runners, Green Bush Beans, Misc. Herbs, etc. Will slowly start putting transplants in as the weather allows.

Also made some markers with rocks and acrylic paint:

My second year hops are already over 3 feet high.
    Post edited by M0XIE at 2012-05-17 11:25:02
  • Awesome idea with the rocks to identify the plants. I usually know what type of pepper it is when I plant it, and then I loose track of which is which and have to wait for the peppers to pop to know what is what

Hops are awesome to grow! When I go over my buds house who has some growing it is awesome to plop a few of the hops in a fresh beer. nothin better
  • Some P. Cubensis ready to happen in the next couple days :) image
    My heroes are midgets with real jobs.
  • @tombutler What has been your yield on the quinoa?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!