Anyone else think Joe Rogan is sexist?
  • Joe is a good guy, and I think well-meaning, as a human being. But he also has a lot of work to do with his ego, so these things happen. See his whole comedy style is ego, it's his meal ticket, so it'll be hard for him to ever tame it. Letting it run free on stage is what makes him entertaining (it would tell him). Yet it gets him into trouble from time to time, like this. His character is to buckle down and defend his stance to the death.

At the same time, he's a curious mind, upward-looking soul with a taste for enlightenment. He has a reverence for unfiltered truth, which is why he lets these inner thoughts out without shame. There's something to respect about that. A lot of people being offended is their own egos trying to control him by way of apology or back-peddling.

So I see these character flaws in him but forgive them in light of the better ones. He's just being Joe!

He can be sexist, homophobic, anti-nature, often hypocritical, etc.. But we all have things left to work on, I just see these as his own. I appreciate the honesty, it's the same thing that allows me to see the soul behind all of that, in his shining moments: As one that's struggling halfway between the ego and enlightenment.

He is a walking demonstration of the human struggle we all face, nobody can fault him for that. Yes as a respected man, people want him to represent better values. But as I said, this is what Joe really represents: The difficult point of transition. It's a position that allows him to bridge the gap for many, between a life of ego and a life of transcendence. He was a stepping stone, a gateway, for me at least. I'll never forget it.

And that's where @Duncan comes in, as an example for someone that's passed the halfway point and making concerted efforts to transcend ego. They're all just different steps on the staircase, let them be what they represent. They all have their place as just the thing they are.
    Post edited by Higher_Ideas at 2013-04-05 15:29:25
    i - Host of Higher Ideas Podcast - Aspiring to be as awesome as the DTFH someday.
  • @ArgoD But complimenting someone's appearance is light years away from crafting a joke with the intention of pissing as many people off as possible. He's trolling.
    (I agree that it is silly to be mad about the comment on the attorney general's looks. It is not as if Obama was saying that is all that matters about the woman.)

Yea, it does seem like Joe is purposefully pushing buttons..
  • BEZ
    Banned
    Joe Rogan is a lot of things.
  • Krishna said:

He's been injured recently, yes? Rogan is a pretty physical guy and he may not be able to go blow off steam in the same intensity that he's used to during training. Might explain him being a bit more irritable and high strung the past few months.

Just to add my 2c, I don't think those tweets are offensive. I think it is just comedy and dissecting it kills the comedy. Then without the comedy aspect, it just comes across as shitty things to say. I don't think getting offended for the sake of a political or sociological ideology is a productive way to look at it.

Voice of reason. Bang on the money. One love.
  • Krishna said:

He's been injured recently, yes? Rogan is a pretty physical guy and he may not be able to go blow off steam...

Good point. The whole thing, honestly. It comes off as very practical reasoning. People are quick to dissect something because we're living during a time of hyper analysis. I'll just add my 2c to the subject of his tweet... so take my anecdotal evidence for what it's worth.

I've been noticing that women around me (i'm female btw), have been very vocal about not wanting children or them being icky or awful (which, yeah they can be). I can't speak to how women talked about kids in decades past... but it seems like the volume has been cranked way up on the 'I don't like/want children". That's just what I assumed he was responding to. I can't speak to how Rogan is like, but if you asked me based on the words alone, "was that sexist?" I would say, yeah.

To me, THAT phenomenon is more interesting because we're living in a super populated earth and it's just dawning on people in our society that there are serious effects of overpopulation.
    Post edited by apfel at 2013-04-05 22:23:28
    we think you'll agree
    twitter
  • His follow up tweet of "If you're a man and you call yourself a feminist I hope you choke to death on vegan pizza while crying over a lady gaga song" and his retweeting of a guy who stuck up for the actual definition of feminism so that his ape like fans would attack the guy speaks loudly to the kind of person Joe is. He's being a shit starter and an asshole. It seems out of character for him actually. What is up?!!?!

Jesus Christ. I'm glad I don't follow him then. I'd be raging way too hard. WTF is he dealing with causing him to spew all this bullshit all of a sudden? Maybe he always did, I wouldn't know.

virusb23 said:

i have no idea what yall are talking about. have you heard his first cd? tons of gay jokes and broken abused women who claim they are about to get their life together.

he is a comedian. he will go for the joke first.

I've never watched his standup. Is that really comedy or is that just bullying? There is a definite line that people cross over to try and be edgy that just winds up being cheap and idiotic more often than not. Crafting a joke at the expense of the oppressed is too easy. Try cracking a joke at the oppressor, takes more thought and bravery to do it in a way that don't leave someone feeling like shit for no good reason. Like wow, you got a bunch of bro douches to laugh at a battered woman. Good job. Keep kicking them when they're down. Didn't someone JUST post his discussion on assholes in power? Can he not recognize the behavior that he rallies against in himself?

And yeah, this idea of "taking back masculinity," ughh. You can be "masculine" and not be a toxic dick about it. This whole equating masculinity with being confrontational, cruel, and aggressive is so backwards. I thought he was past this shit. Again, I'm not saying he's a bad person, but if he's not confronted with the bad things he does he'll never learn from them. Yes, we all have things we need to work on, but I can only forgive a person's infractions who is interested in changing them when called out. If you just ignore these things, ~boys will be boys~, you tell them that it's ok.

@ArgoD It's a clear pattern though that needs to change. It doesn't matter how high up you get as a woman in a powerful role, if you don't look on point your hard work will be ignored at the expense of judging your hair or wardrobe. If you do look good, people assume that's the only reason you got where you are or, like when you look bad, it'll become the primary focus, or worse, you'll get sexually harassed. There just isn't a reason to point out the way a female political figure looks because it's beside the point and objectifying and you're supposed to be a professional. You may not think much of it as a man who doesn't have to deal with it, but it's worth discussion. It's important for young girls to see women being applauded for what they do, not how they look.

And I'm not even going to touch the b.s. straw feminism arguments up in here because they are so ignorant and sad. I cannot dudes, I cannot. These are just blatant misrepresentations of very complex philosophies and I don't have time for a 101 class.

• His follow up tweet of "If you're a man and you call yourself a feminist I hope you choke to death on vegan pizza while crying over a lady gaga song"

i don't see the problem here.....

"if it's twice as funny as it is hurtful, it's okay."

premise: male feminist
    point a: male is choking to death = 'hurtful'
    point b: male is choking on vegan pizza = 'funny'
    point c: male is also crying over a horrible song = 'funny'

seems okay to me.
  • Apfel said:

I've been noticing that women around me (i'm female btw), have been very vocal about not wanting children or them being icky or awful (which, yeah they can be). I can't speak to how women talked about kids in decades past... but it seems like the volume has been cranked way up on the 'I don't like/want children". That's just what I assumed he was responding to.

...because they know that men don't want children. it's been widely exposed. so if they play along like they just wanna fuck us until we're 80, with no kids popping out of that pristine pleasure pocket,.. with no minimal stint of about 18 years where sex hardly makes the "to-do" list between cleaning shitty diapers & high school graduation,... we're more inclined to think they are 'the one'. then once within their locking grasp of sexual dependence, comes the "no condom tonight, i wanna feeeeeel you" line.

they're all black widows i tell you. female. black. widows.

if a man and a man was the only way to conceive children, men would still keep women around for sex, and nominate a handful of comrades to take one for the team and keep the species alive.

if a woman and a woman could have kids without any man involved, we'd have 20 billion people on this planet.

don't be fooled.

(how's that for sexist? ,.... & at what percentage of truth does it become unscientific enough to be called sexist anyway? if i'm 60% right, is that okay? hahaha,...)
    Post edited by Multiversatile at 2013-04-06 02:24:48
  • His follow up tweet of "If you're a man and you call yourself a feminist I hope you choke to death on vegan pizza while crying over a lady gaga song"

i don't see the problem here.....

"if it's twice as funny as it is hurtful, it's okay."

premise: male feminist
    point a: male is choking to death = 'hurtful'
    point b: male is choking on vegan pizza = 'funny'
    point c: male is also crying over a horrible song = 'funny'

seems okay to me.

eh, you say funny, I say hacky. but hey, they can't all be zingers!
  • (at what percentage of truth does it become unscientific enough to be called sexist anyway? if i'm 60% right, is that okay?

Well... is anyone using facts right now? This entire thread is all based on an opinion of a comedian (that he might not even truly believe) used as a joke written to the most contextless platform for thought that has ever existed. Is what Rogan said funny? Maybe...to some people? dog eating turds=comedy gold, "I personally dislike women who dislike children"=ok, sure.

I'm not calling out anyone specifically in this thread, but seriously, why does this upset you so much? If you look up to someone and you're disappointed by their character, well, doesn't that mean you're a little bit disappointed that it reflects poorly on you in some way? That you chose the 'wrong' team? And in our day and age, man, don't be WRONG about anything EVER because you'll lose any shred of credibility especially if you've attained any kind of status.

If you look to people for some kind of ethical buttress to your identity, that support is bound to crumble because we have as many gaps in us as we do solid parts. When you look to someone else as a model, you are in some way objectifying them.

I've had sexist thoughts about men and I've had to disassemble my beliefs and do a reality check. Am I just buggin? Is that the end all be all of my existence? Are my feelings just totally blinding me? More often than not, yeah that was the case and I'm able to diffuse this awful thought before it hooks its claws into my head and I go around thinking that "all men are _____" . If you disagree with sexism on premise, then what's the point of calling out Rogan? His statement wasn't hateful. People who call him a hypocrite: are you just saying so it because you're uncomfortable with the fact that someone you like said something you dislike?
    Post edited by apfel at 2013-04-06 19:19:23
    we think you'll agree
    twitter
  • popoff said:

@ArgoD It's a clear pattern though that needs to change. It doesn't matter how high up you get as a woman in a powerful role, if you don't look on point your hard work will be ignored at the expense of judging your hair or wardrobe. If you do look good, people assume that's the only reason you got where you are or, like when you look bad, it'll become the primary focus, or worse, you'll get sexually harassed. There just isn't a reason to point out the way a female political figure looks because it's beside the point and objectifying and you're supposed to be a professional. You may not think much of it as a man who doesn't have to deal with it, but it's worth discussion. It's important for young girls to see women being applauded for what they do, not how they look.

I started to respond but became a bit long. Here is a nice article discussing some of these points, please read...http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2013/03/dont_hate_her_because_shes_suc.html
  • I wish someone would delete this thread. Do you think Duncan or anyone would be friends with Joe if he was? Do you think Joe would have any success in his life if he hated women? Do you think Joe looks in the mirror and recites "I hate women" every morning? No. Joe is in the spotlight constantly. The scenarios that occur in his life (which we will never see) fuel him to make some remarks that are sometimes controversial. Anyone that says they have never had a racist/sexist thought when things are heated is a liar.
  • @joerogan "I've attracted the hate of a group that have one strong thing in common: no one wants to fuck them. Other than that they're feminists."
    Um, really?! haha omfg *head explodes*
  • One of the things I've always found disappointing about Joe Rogan is his fairly stereotypical and repressive views on gender. He strongly believes that men are a certain way and women are a certain way, that is as it should be, and deviating from that leads to problems.

I'm not going to touch on the latest silly tweets much, as I think it's silly that we are holding people to 150 character blips of opinion as if they could encapsulate philosophies. But some of the stuff he's said about relationships and gender on his podcast is telling. Like about how the man has to maintain the dominant role in the relationship, or in Joe's charming words "keep the pimp hand strong." Or about how after a break up a man just needs to suck it up, go lift weights, kill an animal and eat it, and fuck a few different women. And he's ranted against "male feminists" several times.

This is all disappointing to me, because it's very restricted thinking from a guy who in other respects is very open and inquiring. Joe talks a lot about how "the type of thinking" on his podcast speaks to people because it makes sense and they don't hear it in many other places. And he's right. But when he parrots these tropes as if they were objective fact, and when he projects the way he likes to manage his gender idenity and relationships, he's reinforcing another part of the system that is just as damaging. And on a personal level it's disappointing to think that while I like Joe Rogan heaps, he wouldn't like me much, cause he'd see me as a liberal pussy.
    How do you capture a beautiful bird without killing its spirit?
  • Doesn't Rogan say something to the effect of 'women need to be treated like dogs to be taught how to behave' on his first appearance on the DTFH? I remember him saying something like that and Duncan replying 'whoah, whoah whoah...'
    I'm by no means jumping on a Rogan hate train but you have to admit the guy has a deep-seated misogynist streak.
  • Seems to me that a lot of people dont know what feminism is.

• Whenever I feel the need to insult other people, it's because I have some personal issues and I feel like shit about myself. I'd guess this is what is going on here. He'll get over it eventually.
  • i cant find the quote. and i dont remember who said it - emerson/thoreu maybe.

a man should speak his convictions with all his strength today, even if they completely contradict everything he said yesterday.

joe rogan likes to argue the point with people, paly devils advocate and find out where the truth lies. for instance he argued about the moon landing with tyson for 30 minutes, even though he said he currently puts little stock in it. that said, i agree with rogan/chris ryan that men can make immature jokes and have a good time without it creating a victim of a woman hearing it.

some women are offended by purile jokes and others laugh at it. fuck all the people getting offended all the time directing the discourse of this country. one loud voice does not speak for the masses.
  • most people are of average intelligence. and they can use the internet too. a large number of people are of below average intelligence. and they can use the internet.

so just because a million people say they are offended, or that this is the definition of how a man/woman should act, it doesnt mean that they are in the majority, or that they are correct in their thinking.
  • devgchr said:

I wish someone would delete this thread. Do you think Duncan or anyone would be friends with Joe if he was? Do you think Joe would have any success in his life if he hated women? Do you think Joe looks in the mirror and recites "I hate women" every morning? No. Joe is in the spotlight constantly. The scenarios that occur in his life (which we will never see) fuel him to make some remarks that are sometimes controversial. Anyone that says they have never had a racist/sexist thought when things are heated is a liar.

LOL, are you really asking these questions? You think nobody can be successful if they hate women? You think nobody can have good friends if they hate women? There are plenty of rich, famous, successful misogynists.

I'm not saying he hates women, I'm saying he has some shitty hangups about women and needs to examine the generalizations he has in his head that simply are not true of all or even most women and stop trying to shove these archaic gender roles down everyone's throats.

The difference between if I have a sexist thought and if he has a sexist thought is this:
    1. He is a public figure, his audience is huge. If he tweets said thought out it will be heard by thousands of people and will reinforce the misogyny of some of his fans who look up to him and hurt some of the female fans.
    2. I know better than to spread sexist ideas even while having very few people who would listen to me if I did.

Having a thought and acting on a thought are two different things. Having a thought and thinking it's important enough to share with thousands of people are also two different things. I've had a enough trauma in my life to have the thought, "Fuck all men," but before I open my mouth about it I examine the thought, recognize how many GOOD men I have in my life, and don't spread that sentiment around. When someone chooses to publicly say something it's open to scrutiny. End of. Don't say it if you don't want to hear about it. Nobody is saying, "BOYCOTT JOE ROGAN! HE'S A HORRIBLE PERSON!" They're saying, "Man, I wish he would knock it off. He's capable of better than this and it's really bumming me out when he does it."

@joerogan "I've attracted the hate of a group that have one strong thing in common: no one wants to fuck them. Other than that they're feminists."

Wow, funny. His joke is so original, I only heard it 1,000 times on my feminist youtube video. "You're ugly, no one wants to fuck you. You'll never get a boyfriend." Good job Joe, you sound like a standard 14 year old youtube troll.

• And that's where @Duncan comes in, as an example for someone that's passed the halfway point and making concerted efforts to transcend ego. They're all just different steps on the staircase, let them be what they represent. They all have their place as just the thing they are.

and yet duncan admits to being lazy sometimes, to being a smoker at points. we are all flawed. joe is allowed to have an opinion. and hes alllowed to be wrong. the problem with the world is when people are trying to push their views on you and change things.
  • I dunno, there are different levels of character flaw. I'd rather talk to someone who is lazy and smokes than who actively perpetuates misogynists attitudes to a fanbase of thousands, but that's just me. Duncan's laziness and having an occasional cigarette doesn't harm anyone but him, and that's his choice.

I don't get it. What is wrong with people trying to change things? Should we all just sit around accepting the state of the world and the regressive ideas that people have which keep us down? Progress doesn't happen without scrutiny of incorrect ideas/ways to live and close examination of why they're wrong and how to fix them. How is Joe saying this misogynistic stuff not pushing his ideas onto me, but me saying that I disagree me pushing my ideas onto him? Why are we not allowed a dialogue about it without it being considered some sort of thought police? There's nothing wrong with discussion and dissection of ideas.
  • do you guys think this is funny?

sunt lacrimae rerum
  • fnord said:

do you guys think this is funny?

Yes, I do. So?

• @jimmy_james I agree with Fry. Offense is irrelevant. Thing is there's another school of thought that seems to think all criticisms of art can be dismissed as "waah waah this offends me." There are criticisms I can make of Joe Rogan that have nothing to do with how offended I am by his opinions.
  • What we need here, is foam edges on everything. That would stop him.

• Exactly @cambo. I have had this image posted to me several times now as a way to hinder actual discussion. That is the go to image for people who are afraid of having their ideas challenged and who want to just say whatever they want without thought. Meanwhile, civil discussion of something they said which was incredibly not civil (sexist statements are a form of aggression), leads them to take it incredibly personally and become offended because you dared question one of their many actions (most of which you have no problem with and are not commenting on). Yet they still mock you for being "offended."

Offended is a knee-jerk reaction. Discussion on why we had that knee-jerk reaction is what is important. I read this quote to mean that he would like us to explain why we're offended, not just say we're offended and cease discussion.
    Post edited by popoff at 2013-04-06 21:21:53
  • haha who is acting more butthurt here, the people who think Joe's tweets were a bit ignorant or silly, or the people whos laptops are surrounded by empty Alpha Brain bottles and designer kettlebells?
  • joe rogan punched my mother and choked my father. wah wah wahhhhh.

is this the new DTFH signature topic?
  • I believe those other topics are jokes based on this thread, multiversatile
  • sarcasm is not crystal clear on the interwebs.
  • Joe: "You need to get rid of that bitch" (about the Lavender Hour)
    Duncan: "Woah, come on man"

He has deep seated misogyny. He can offend me all he wants, but i can point out dude-bruh doucheyness all i want.
    Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • who cares? i don't nitpick dumb things you said in the past and call you a dumbass
  • Hey, I've forgotten my twitter password, so can someone please find me another 150 character, on the fly comment that we can dissect for the next week or two? This ones getting a little stale. What's the Dalai Lama been up to? I know that he had been called out by Chelsea Perretti awhile back for copy and pasting his words of wisdom. The Dalai Lama is a plagiarist! Now, lets all run this one into the ground, quick. Also let's change this thread to "150 characters can snowball into several pages of silly argument." Also anyone wanna maybe break down any other one liners from twitter? I saw on some entertainment show that Amanda Bines made a comment about an eating disorder, let's get her! And of course by get her I mean discuss a fucking two sentence comment without actually asking what the intent was. Silliness people, silliness.
  • Apfel said:

Well... is anyone using facts right now? This entire thread is all based on an opinion of a comedian (that he might not even truly believe) used as a joke written to the most contextless platform for thought that has ever existed. Is what Rogan said funny? Maybe...to some people? dog eating turds=comedy gold, "I personally dislike women who dislike children"=ok, sure.

I'm not calling out anyone specifically in this thread, but seriously, why does this upset you so much? If you look up to someone and you're disappointed by their character, well, doesn't that mean you're a little bit disappointed that it reflects poorly on you in some way? That you chose the 'wrong' team? And in our day and age, man, don't be WRONG about anything EVER because you'll lose any shred of credibility especially if you've attained any kind of status.

If you look to people for some kind of ethical buttress to your identity, that support is bound to crumble because we have as many gaps in us as we do solid parts. When you look to someone else as a model, you are in some way objectifying them.

I've had sexist thoughts about men and I've had to disassemble my beliefs and do a reality check. Am I just buggin? Is that the end all be all of my existence? Are my feelings just totally blinding me? More often than not, yeah that was the case and I'm able to diffuse this awful thought before it hooks its claws into my head and I go around thinking that "all men are _____" . If you disagree with sexism on premise, then what's the point of calling out Rogan? His statement wasn't hateful. People who call him a hypocrite: are you just saying so it because you're uncomfortable with the fact that someone you like said something you dislike?

Anybody who is still feigning offense after reading this is a lost cause. I eventually came to these same realizations after listening to the Rogan/Killstein podcast (where IMO Joe was basically in the right but was an intolerable douche). Knowing he's a bit of a meat-head doesn't negate his good qualities. My real problem with Rogan is he's a godamn kale nazi. No Joe, I won't eat my vegetables.
  • duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah
    KHAN said:

Maybe Joe is redirecting his frustration from trying to beat Lady Comstock in Bioshock Infinite.

I can't wait to play this game.
  • duncan said:

KHAN said:

Maybe Joe is redirecting his frustration from trying to beat Lady Comstock in Bioshock Infinite.

Play it! I am about halfway through (I think) and I think the story may actually top the original Bioshock (I never thought I would type that). The only thing that can keep me away from it right now is this damn internet.

Ignignokt: You have deeply offended us and our god. And our god is a god of vengeance, and horror.
    Err: And action!
    ***Official Orgone Alt Account***
    Ignignokt: Our god is an Indian that turns into a wolf.
    Err: Yeah, that's the Wolfen, man.
    Ignignokt: Well... the Wolfen will come for you, with his razor.
  • duncan said:

KHAN said:

Dude, the game is like made for you. The themes of the game couldn't be any more Duncan Trusselish.
  • DrRobb said:

Hey, I've forgotten my twitter password, so can someone please find me another 150 character, on the fly comment that we can dissect for the next week or two? This ones getting a little stale. What's the Dalai Lama been up to? I know that he had been called out by Chelsea Perretti awhile back for copy and pasting his words of wisdom. The Dalai Lama is a plagiarist! Now, lets all run this one into the ground, quick. Also let's change this thread to "150 characters can snowball into several pages of silly argument." Also anyone wanna maybe break down any other one liners from twitter? I saw on some entertainment show that Amanda Bines made a comment about an eating disorder, let's get her! And of course by get her I mean discuss a fucking two sentence comment without actually asking what the intent was. Silliness people, silliness.

You know, if you're bored with the topic you really don't have to read the thread.

• @meatyogre_wiwichoker Again, it's not about "feigning offense." There's actual discussion going on here and chalking it all up to "being offended" is just a way to stifle conversation.
  • duncan said:

KHAN said:

Art Direction and Story are top notch! You'll love shooting racist fundamentalists.

Also, on topic, Joe Rogan is not sexist. The tweets are more about pragmatism than sex.
    If you see Buddha on the forum, ban him.
  • joerogan: .@yourgwyneth I feel bad that you feel bad about something I agree with. Equal rights shouldn't even be a topic for debate in 2013 #HUMANIST
    (6 April 2013 4:09 PM, PDT )

It is easy to take stuff out of context on twitter yes, when you say you are anti-feminist in one twit and explain that you feel feminism shouldn't be necessary in another. don't go on there often so pretty much everything you see at first is out of context, sometimes you have to check to see if @joerogan isn't #RT'ing @tomleykis
  • popoff said:

@meatyogre_wiwichoker Again, it's not about "feigning offense." There's actual discussion going on here and chalking it all up to "being offended" is just a way to stifle conversation.

Exactly.
    Why is it okay to be offensive, but it's not okay to be offended?
    I'm sorry if by pointing out your offensiveness i'm offending you, but you don't have the right to not be offended.

Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • popoff said:

@meatyogre_wiwichoker Again, it's not about "feigning offense." There's actual discussion going on here and chalking it all up to "being offended" is just a way to stifle conversation.

Exactly.
    Why is it okay to be offensive, but it's not okay to be offended?
    I'm sorry if by pointing out your offensiveness i'm offending you, but you don't have the right to not be offended.

Well now I'm offended ;) You can be offended if you like, I just think in most cases (such as this one), it is a silly waste of energy. It's not like we have a shortage of real problems to deal with.
  • I tend to agree with Joe, and I will explain why.

Remember, it's okay to "Not want kids, but still like/love them". But to be honest, every girl I have ever heard say "I don't want kids" "I hate those little brats" "I don't like being around them", etc. They have all been girls with really fucked up issues in their own life. And I am not just going to single out kids and women here. Any human being of any gender that says "I don't like humans" (at any size/age) is caused by some fuckery in their head and life.

The statement of "I view a girl who doesn't like kids the same way I view a dog that eats it's own shit". I understand that! He is not comparing examples, but rather the emotion you feel. When you see your dog eating it's own poo, you give sort of a "What the fuuuuck =_=....)" and you'll go "hey!!" and try to stop the dog. What Joe is trying to say is he get's that EXACT same feeling when he hears Women say "I don't like kids". He gets that "Ughhh, what the fuuuuck =_=..." feeling because he KNOWS there is an underlying reason for it based off fuckery.

To the person who has been ranting and raving these past two pages about how offended they are. Could you perhaps tell me why you don't like kids? Why you want nothing to do with them? Is it because society makes you feel pressured to have them or else you'll be labeled a "useless" woman. Or is it a deeper problem than that?

If on the other hand, you DO like kids, and DO want them. And you're just sticking up for all the theoretical women out there that don't like kids like the white knight that you are? I don't get it. Joe seems like Joe to me. The only thing that's changed about him is he isn't all "rah rah take psychedelics" anymore. Clearly he had a trip that showed him how powerful the experience can really be, which made him rethink telling everyone to take mushrooms, etc. (Which he used to say). I would dare say Rogan is afraid to take psychedelics these days.
    Post edited by Zuklar at 2013-04-08 12:53:25
  • My reaction to this was "Eh... that's not funny". And if somebody thinks it's misogynist I'd have a hard time saying it isn't by virtue of the fact that it speaks as if women having this issue is specific to them, and specifically detestable. The one defense one could give would be that men tend to focus on women and visa versa because we instinctually picture ourselves spending time with them and therefore their flaws.

But then it's hard to say anything cause he didn't really defend it or defend its sexual one sidedness. He just trolled. Which, whatever. But then he's just getting what he asked for: Negative reactions that have nothing to do with coming to some intellectual common ground with people.

And I'll repeat it certainly wasn't NEARLY funny or straight absurdist enough to be explained that way.

Whatever. I love Rogan for a lot of things and people he's exposed me to but his thought processing is faaaar from perfect and it seems like he's taken a very long road to get to where he is now. In a lot of ways that is definitely a virtue and I bet he's made more ground than most people make in their entire lifetimes.

That being said a lot of his shit is vestiges of a guy who, I bet if you met in 1992 wouldn't be far off from just a one-dimensional meathead.
  • No, but I would love to hear an idepth dialog and discussion behind one of his lines when he handles a heckler..."Fuck her before you take her out fellas"...(paraphrased).
    I think its a great shot at the annoying heckler who rightfully deserves having their ass handed to them...and its clever and funny...but what else is it?
    It could be mis-identified as sexist...
    I know the spirit and intent on the joke, and think it's funny...but if interpretation usurps intent, then some bitches might take offense....I just think that discussing realms of interpretation is a fun way to be...So, no...I don't think he is sexist.
    Eyes that have seen will know what I mean - Todd Rundgren
  • Joe is an amalgamation of a man. He used to be the first to stress that he was often foolish and 'a big dumby'. However, as others above have noted - he does seem to have gotten a little edgier. With his increased aggressiveness and edge seems to have come an increased sense of ego. I have often experienced points of ego inflation that have lead me to hostilities toward others. Perhaps this is just Joe being human, but that is just me giving him the comical frame.

Most concerning to me is not the tweats that begin this thread - but rather Joe's ongoing desire to bring up such issues without remembering his old humility. Several times in recent podcast Joe has charged those men who stand up for women's rights or issues as "White Knights". Perhaps he should be reminded that Ari Shaffir has performed for Planned Parenthood and that overall, and for his own daughter, there are significant reasons for feminism(s) and for men to seek to foster equality.

I will continue listening to the podcast. Again, he is only human. Though it would mean a lot to me if he would admit that perhaps he is just being 'a big dumby'. And as many have highlighted - it is first and foremost comedy.
    Post edited by Scholarlybeard at 2013-04-08 22:00:49
  • Zuklar said:

The statement of "I view a girl who doesn't like kids the same way I view a dog that eats it's own shit". I understand that! He is not comparing examples, but rather the emotion you feel. When you see your dog eating it's own poo, you give sort of a "What the fuuuuck =_=....)" and you'll go "hey!!" and try to stop the dog. What Joe is trying to say is he get's that EXACT same feeling when he hears Women say "I don't like kids". He gets that "Ughhh, what the fuuuuck =_=..." feeling because he KNOWS there is an underlying reason for it based off fuckery.

Yup, I believe this is what Joe meant.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!