DMT: The Spirit Molecule
  • So I had obtained some DMT while reading this, and held off on smoking it until I finished. Which was probably a mistake. It 'psyched' me out for a while. The book is a great read, but it gave me too many expectations of DMT. Mainly the chapter on "Contact", which I have not experienced after 3 DMT trips now. So, who's read it, and what did you think? What did you think in relation to your DMT trips?
  • I did read it a few years back, and I watched the movie on Netflix. I haven't done DMT, but that book and a lot of Terence McKenna talks have built my expectations up quite a bit. I have done salvia, and I feel like there's a feeling of "wow everything is flying past me" that may be similar to what DMT makes you feel, but I never get any feelings of profound intelligence or empathy, just eternal weirdness. I would like to experience DMT, both smoked and brewed.

What kind did you have? Have you heard Terence's account of the differences between N-N-DMT and 5-MeO-DMT (someone else posted this on another thread)? This might explain your experience:
  • Great video, I love hearing McKenna talk about DMT. I was just trying to explain to a friend about how, "when you're there, it's more real than here", but I couldn't do it justice. McKenna hits the nail on the head though when he describes it in this video though.

I'm in the process of reading his book "The Invisible Landscape" right now. Pretty good so far... It dumps a lot of knowledge on the reader in the beginning.
  • I actually read DMT: The Spirit Molecule recently, as well. It was refreshing to read a psychiatrist's take on the hallucination phenomenon and have that view alter as the tests progress. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find any DMT to give it a shot myself, but I'm hoping the universe will drop some in my lap pretty soon.
  • And it's also great to hear Terence speak on pretty much any topic. He is beyond articulate. If you're just getting into Mr. McKenna, I would recommend True Hallucinations first, it's the story about his Amazon adventure, which Invisible Landscape analyzes.
  • I imagine as the demand grows it will become easier to obtain. I've been pretty lucky myself, but it's rare. When it comes around, I buy up as much as I can (which is never enough).
  • DMT even if hard to buy is relatively easy to produce if you can get access to the right plants. I'm not sure if the plants are legal in the states. But they are over here. And there are enough guides online to make it. I know multiple chemistry students who make a big buck making DMT over here.
  • I'm currently reading it and love it. I've done DMT 3 times and all 3 times I was unable to "break through" or have the ego death many have had. The only times I've broken through this reality was my first Salvia trip. My second time trying it was the most intense as the lines connecting the walls and ceiling were illuminated with the brightest light and my girlfriend had multiple turquoise, purple, and blue eyes. Everything was shaking so violently that I thought it was just my nerves but my friends around me said I was chill as fuck. I always get an overwhelming feeling of déja vu that it trips me out even more.
    नमः सप्तानां सम्यक् सम्बुद्ध कोटीनां। तद्यथा ॐ चले चुले चुन्दि स्वाहा॥
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
    राम
  • I read it before I ever tried DMT as well. Especially entertaining were the later chapters speculating on how to explain the phenomena with quantum mechanics and dark matter. It didn't really matter that I familiarized myself with it beforehand though, I was still pretty scared because it was my first psychedelic. I recorded reports for 5mg increments, 20-50mg. Craziest trips weren't actually break-throughs either, they were the ones where I was probably just a few milligrams short of it. The DMT realm and entities from it would bleed heavily into this reality, but framed strangely still in this dimension. DMT is also the only psychedelic I've tried where I distinctly remember having radically changed touch, smell, and taste, instead of the normal vision and hearing. Lots of synaesthesia too. My skin always felt like beach sand, my clothes felt like some kind of fleshy substance. Definitely an 'otherness' with it.

@shikoku
    It is like Shulgin says, DMT is in more places than not. They would never be able to ban all the plants that contain it, it is just way too common in nature.
    एकम् सत् विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति
    That which exists is One, but sages call it by various names.
  • Krishna said:

... My skin always felt like beach sand, my clothes felt like some kind of fleshy substance. Definitely an 'otherness' with it.

That sounds like the bodily feeling I had on salvia, it was uncomfortable the first time, but the subsequent times I did it I just let myself "sink into the sand". I definitely had a hue change when I tried dmt the first time, everything was in violet and when I closed my eyes I could see stenciled outlines of everyone around me walking around, or that's how my perception of it was. All 3 times I've done dmt there was also always a great great euphoric feeling.
    नमः सप्तानां सम्यक् सम्बुद्ध कोटीनां। तद्यथा ॐ चले चुले चुन्दि स्वाहा॥
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
    राम
  • easily make DMT: ======================= Break 1-Pound of Mimosa Hostilis rootbark into 2" pieces and grind it all up in a glass-topped blender, a little at a time. ------------------------------------Polar Extraction: Premix in an empty 1-Gallon plastic jug: 1-Quart White Vinegar & 3-Quarts Water. Put the ground up Mimosa in a 3-Liter crockpot, then fill it with the water-vinegar solution. Stir well and turn it on "high". After 2 hours, remove the crockpot ceramic liner, hold the lid on slightly offset, and pour off most of the liquid into a 1-gallon wide-mouthed glass or stainless container. Add the remaining water-vinegar solution to the crockpot again. Stir well and turn it on "high". After 2 hours, remove the crockpotceramic liner, hold the lid on slightly offset, and pour off all of the liquid into the same container again. Discard the rootbark fiber and save the two combined extractions in the 1-gallon container. Allow the vegetable particles in the extraction in the 1-gallon container to settle to the bottom overnight. Then pour off the liquid into an empty 1-Gallon glasswinejug, being careful not to pour off any of the vegetable sludgeat the bottom. Discard the sludge and keep the contents of the wine jug. ------------------------------------Basification: Premix in advance a solution of: 5 Tablespoons (63grams) of Sodium Hydroxide ("Red Devil" lye) with1-Pint of WARM Water. Stir well. Slowly add this solution to the wine jug, then cap the jug. Gently tilt the wine jug back and forth for 1 full minute to mix the contents. ------------------------------------Nonpolar Extraction: Add 250ml of (Ace Hardware)VM&P Naptha to the wine jug. Add exactly enough warm water to the jug to raise the liquid level to an inch below the top, then cap the jug. Gently tilt the wine jug slowly back and forth for 5 full minutes to mix the contents. Allow the jug to sit undisturbed on a table for at least 4 hours. There should now be two layers visible in the jug, a lower dark one and a smaller clear one on top filling the neck of the jug. Use a glass turkey baster to suck up the top clear layerintoa pint mason jar. Be careful not to suck up any of the lower brown/black layer into the mason jar. -------------------------------------Freeze-precipitation/wash: place the sealed mason jar in a FREEZER for 3 days to precipitate the crystals. Prepare a filter setup by placing a funnel into a quart mason jar and putting a small coffee filter paper into the funnel. Shake the naptha in the mason jar strongly to stir up all the crystals atthe bottom and quickly pour while still very cold into the funnel for filtering. Impure yellow-white DMT crystals willbeseenon the coffee filter paper. Allow the crystals to completely dry out on the filter paper in the funnel. Premix a wash solution by mixing equal parts of Distilled Water and NON-SOAPY clear Ammonium Hydroxide(Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength Ammonia) into a pint container. Slowly pour 100ml of the wash solution over the crystals (still in the filter paper) to wash them. Remove the filter paper from the funnel, spread it out flat and allow the crystals to COMPLETELY dry out. You will now have 2-1/2 grams of white crystal DMT.Atleast50 strong doses. Mix it with some parsley and smoke a little in your favorite pipe!
  • I actually read DMT: The Spirit Molecule recently, as well. It was refreshing to read a psychiatrist's take on the hallucination phenomenon and have that view alter as the tests progress. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find any DMT to give it a shot myself, but I'm hoping the universe will drop some in my lap pretty soon.

Check this one out. Just finished it and looking forward to reading DMT the Spirit Molecule.

Photobucket
  • sooooo I tried DMT

Long story short: yeah. Whoo. :)
  • @stoney216 BTW I just bought that book. Thanks for the recommendation, man :)

No problem. Let me know how you like it!

How was it!!!
  • Well, I should have said "ordered"... It's on the way.
  • I am currently reading the chapter on "Mystical states" This book was an incredible exclusive look into the world of illicit substances, and the legalities regarding research and synthesizing DMT. There are manifold accounts of high dose controlled trips and the patterns and themes that reoccur in each unique trip is an interesting glimpse into our collective unconscious. Its a shame that these substances cant be studied intensively. Notably, although psychedelics are traditionally taken in a natural/shamanic set and setting, the DMT is administered intravenously in the top floor of a hospital. This, however, is more or less appropriate for such an unprecedented alien a substance as pure dimethyltryptamine.

Strassman's the man.
  • sooooo I tried DMT

Long story short: yeah. Whoo. :)

Ahh.. Welcome. It's Nice, huh?
  • Why do people insist on DMT being a life changing experience. I've done it, I tripped it's now over. This constant drug soul obsession many of you have is odd. Instead of reading countless articles and watching documentarys about a "spirtual changing drug" try changing your alter state while your sober.
  • @Inception. Get over it. If it doesn't work for you, that's great. People seem to enjoy it. What you are saying is tantamount to going to a theme park and saying that riding the lazy river is the only valid experience there. You can't mock or denigrate people for wanting to take the roller coaster with 5 loops. Also, I'm sure many of these people have changed their "alter state" or however you put it while sober. They are not the ones with the issue here, that would be you.
  • Also, this is a thread specifically for a book which is ABOUT THE FUCKING CHEMICAL. Don't be so frightened by others seeking knowledge.
  • I am currently reading the chapter on "Mystical states" This book was an incredible exclusive look into the world of illicit substances, and the legalities regarding research and synthesizing DMT. There are manifold accounts of high dose controlled trips and the patterns and themes that reoccur in each unique trip is an interesting glimpse into our collective unconscious. Its a shame that these substances cant be studied intensively. Notably, although psychedelics are traditionally taken in a natural/shamanic set and setting, the DMT is administered intravenously in the top floor of a hospital. This, however, is more or less appropriate for such an unprecedented alien a substance as pure dimethyltryptamine.

Strassman's the man.

Some had real great breakthroughs I heard. But those people where cosmonauts or shamans. I agree, they need to really test this stuff wholeheartedly. Again and again until the end of time if that's what it takes. So much going on unexplained.
  • Inception said:

Why do people insist on DMT being a life changing experience. I've done it, I tripped it's now over. This constant drug soul obsession many of you have is odd. Instead of reading countless articles and watching documentarys about a "spirtual changing drug" try changing your alter state while your sober.

The woods is not enough for some man. We are ment to explore to the fullest.

Do you have any bush parties where you live? Find out where your local bush rave parties are at and I 100% guarantee you that you will find DMT there, the first step to finding DMT is finding the right community. I'm in no way a fan of techno and rave music but I figured that's where I would be able to obtain this shit, at underground rave bush parties...they call them "doof doof" parties here in Australia.

• Inception said:

Why do people insist on DMT being a life changing experience. I've done it, I tripped it's now over. This constant drug soul obsession many of you have is odd. Instead of reading countless articles and watching documentarys about a "spirtual changing drug" try changing your alter state while your sober.

Get the fuck out of here man!
    Traveling through the Multiverse
  • I've tripped on a few things, but not DMT, yet. I was wondering, what are everyone's thoughts on "trip characters" that pop up and interact with you. Random neurons firing, inter-dimensional beings, angels and demons, Jinn, spirits or ghosts, reptilians, projections of your own dna or any other things outlandish enough that they might be true? I'm constantly shifting in my perception of the trip, and figure DMT is the current peak of psychedelia, so it should also be the setting to figure it out. They do seem to have some wisdom about them that both terrifies and soothes me if that makes sense.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!