Podcast Recommendations
  • This is a good place to recommend podcasts to listen to between lavender hours.

I'll start, radiolab is good if you like weird science, about space, the brain, and strange phenomena.
  • i suggest my own :} the real life podcast...will be upgrading my setup within the week..so once that happens ill throw up a link!

but other than mine...the obvious ones in deathsquad...beauty and the beast...and i like adam carolla once i run out of podcasts...
    Post edited by MrAgileBeast at 2012-02-20 21:28:16
  • You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes is great. And The Indoor Kids podcast is all about gaming, Duncan has been on there before talking Starcraft.
  • I listen to a lot of those, good taste. I should have made my own recommendations.
    If you like comedy there are plenty of good ones either found on deathsquad, nerdist, or earwolf.

You made it weird, todd glass show, indoor kids all on nerdist industries.

Political podcasts

Citizen Radio: political podcast with comedian Jamie kilstein, not everyone will be into this one but some will.

The best of the left: Each show brings together bits of other podcasts and left leaning shows all in the same place.

The Majority Report: Sam seder's daily politics show, v good.

The Bugle: John Oliver ( from the daily show) has a weekly political podcast, very funny.

The Jimmy Dore Show: good old school comedy jokes about politics with jimmy dore.

culture podcasts

Slate Culture gabfest: if you like culture and talking about culture and popculture.

Doublex gabfest: primarily feminist podcast but much more then that.

Hang up and listen, I'm not into sports but this is the slate sport podcast that people seem to like.

Opinionated, citizien radio's feminist podcast.

The partially examined life: philosophy podcast, a little bit hardcore.

Entitled Opinions : Straight from stanford Uni professor dude interviews people on bookish topics sooo hardcore, I hardly understand any of it.

movie podcasts:

How did this get made, podcast dedicated to watching and talking about bad movies. If you've watched 'The Room' go to the directors edition episode, they chat about the room with one of the actors.

Doug loves movies, doug benson's podcast, nuff said.

slate spoiler special, podcast about spoiling movies

Comedy Podcasts

Ari Shaffir's Skeptic Tank: Each week has a theme like prositute, or alcoholic, or bulimic, or hollocaust couple. Ari interviews a guest about a particular topic but digresses, more than funny, might have put this in the culture section but it probably belongs under comedy.

Comedy Bang Bang: Earwolf's premier podcast with bits and comedy galore. I don't get time to listen to this one anymore but some here will like it.

Totally Laime!: Also on earwolf, couple, funny, whatever.

Comedy and Everything else: This is where I first heard Duncan, jimmy dore's podcast, funny, can be hit or miss, sometimes leans towards an older audience, but there is an old duncan and natasha episode and some other comedians you'll like.

Other

The Mental Illness Happy Hour: Paul Gilmartin's show, he interviews real people, sometimes comedians about their issues, I'm dealing with depression and anxiety myself so I like the episodes with really fucked up people. Recently voted top ten podcast on AvClub plus I think stig does Paul's website too.

Radio Lab : sciency

This American Life : we all know this one.

The Moth: People get up on stage at moth events tell a story in under 20 minutes, these stories make up the podcast.

7th avenue project: sometimes science, sometimes interviews with comedians, sometimes about issues, decent show.

NPR's planet money: short podcast if you want easy explanations of economic matters.

I'll put up more recomendations when I'm less tired.

Post edited by Hungry_Ghost at 2012-02-20 22:38:18
  • I personally like Smodcast a lot along with associated acts such as blow hard
  • Doug loves movies is one of myfaverites
  • Radiolab is the shit, also the school sucks podcast is great
  • psychedelic salon is great
  • @KR25, u are correct good sir, can't believe I forgot that, Lorenzo is the man
  • http://www.extraenvironmentalist.com/

Love it!

Good music. Great guests (the Dennis McKenna ones are especially interesting - as well as the ones w/ John Michael Greer (my current mancrush))
  • @ Hungry Ghost a fellow Laimewad i see?
  • Gotta plug the No Agenda Show podcast for news and political analysis. It's a little bit of an acquired taste at first, but the episode show notes are great. They even have noagendanewsnetwork.com for relevant info to what's going on in the world from a variety of sources. It's not all doom and gloom Alex Jones stuff. They have some funny segments too.

See what happens when you go to seanhannity.com

They have a bunch of redirect domains like that from supporters of the show.
  • For sports fans, you can't do any better than Bill Simmons and Sklarboro Country.

Just because nobody mentioned it, WTF is top shelf. Maron's persona is annoying sometimes, but he is an awesome interviewer--maybe even better than Stern himself.
    "Men must polish their particular Way." Miyamoto Musashi 宮本 武蔵
  • Maron's a WAY better interviewer than Stern. He gets really deep with people. I've never heard anything that great from Stern. It's an entertaining show but you don't get serious moments and real insight into people like you do on WTF.
  • KR25 said:

psychedelic salon is great

^--- Seconded
    "A ship is safe in its harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” - William Shedd
  • Superego- silly silly shit

Jordan Jesse Go- sillier shit ( I'd love for duncan to go on this show)

The Pod F. Tompkast- Paul F. Tompkins' show (silly shit)

Professor Blast-off- Tig Notaro, Kyle Dunnagan, and David Huntsburger talk about science stuff.

The Bugle- Fuck you Chris!
    Post edited by Gods_Mustache at 2012-02-23 16:14:24
    We elongate our Maaans 'round these parts.
  • Stig_AdminStig_Admin
    Black Rabbit of Inlé

Other

The Mental Illness Happy Hour: Paul Gilmartin's show, he interviews real people, sometimes comedians about their issues, I'm dealing with depression and anxiety myself so I like the episodes with really fucked up people. Recently voted top ten podcast on AvClub plus I think stig does Paul's website too.

Hey! I made this one's site too! Paul's an awesome guy, he woodworks for fun and set me up with a gorgeous cutting board. Tried to get Duncan and Natasha on it a while ago, but it looks like that fell through.
    I make websites sometimes, view my portfolio at Chromadile.com
  • Pop Sickles was the first podcast I listened to that wasn't hosted by rich motherfuckers and it's really damn funny. A couple of geeks stuck in the space between Gen X and Gen Y commenting on various aspects of pop culture, past and present and how they compare and relate to Batman/Gremlins/Ghost Busters/Angus.
  • I occationally like The Adam Carolla Podcast

Bill Burr has a funny one!

Smodcast is alright

But I'll have to check out Radiolab, that sounds interesting!
    "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
    - Edgar Allan Poe
    photo columbo.gif
    www.josiahmilespitchforth.com
  • @Josiah Bill Burr's monday morning podcast is excellent.

Highly recommended.
    "I got stuck in a cravarse on the moun-tain."
  • bryan callen has a new one called ten minute podcast w/ chris d'elia and will sasso that is funny and has been daily since it started 3 days ago(really only ten min long)

• Other

Hey! I made this one's site too! Paul's an awesome guy, he woodworks for fun and set me up with a gorgeous cutting board. Tried to get Duncan and Natasha on it a while ago, but it looks like that fell through.

Wow he woodworks! I love when people have esoteric hobbies. You gotta try again, it might be easier to get duncan on the show then the both of them as a couple. I think they could have an interesting discusion!

• Joe Rogan Experience (my favorite by far)
    The Nerdist
    StarTalk
    Deathsquad (multiple good ones in there)
    Coast to Coast AM (not free, but 3 hours of content added per day)
    Psychedelic Salon
    The Disinformation Podcasts
  • Must mention my own podcast first- Where the Fnords Linger (or search William Hrdina) it's all audio versions of short stories I've written. Wide variety of weird shit.
    Of Course Rogan. I like Smodcast, TWIT, Kevin Pollak's Chat Show
    TANK RIOT is awesome- wide variety of different topics from Godzilla to Nixon- wait- is there a difference?
    I really love Dan Carlin- he has a history show (Hardcore History) and a political show (Common Sense). Both demonstrate the guy's ability to look at things from non-standard perspective.
    www.williamhrdina.com -- Simple Journeys to Odd Destinations
    "All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense." Robert Anton Wilson
  • Gnostic Media

Mysterious Universe

StarTalk with Neil DeGrasse Tyson and comedian and scientist guests-really been diggin this lately, Neil is the man

Your Moms House :)

and all the ones you guys listed above.
  • Gnostic Media

gnostic media is great.
    I listen to the Robert Kelly podcast, i enjoy the trashings.
    "A space night like Rom, consume planets like Unicron Blasting photon bombs from the arm like Galvatron"-Ruler Zig-Zag-Zig Allah

• I listen to the Robert Kelly podcast, i enjoy the trashings.

Ahh, I see there's an O&A representation going on around here

"Love you, love the show."
    "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
    - Edgar Allan Poe
    photo columbo.gif
    www.josiahmilespitchforth.com
  • Free Talk Live - the only political talk I can stomach. Very libertarian/anarchist leaning. I know, i know...Give it a shot!

Freedomain Radio - philosophy, atheism, parenting, relationships, the state... Thousands of episodes. Stefan is very charismatic. If you want to try it I'd say start with the ones titled "true news".

Mental illness happy hour - just discovered this one. Comedians and other interesting people talk about their own mental illnesses. Can go DEEP. See: the Kulap Vilaysak episode.

Brainy gamer - very infrequent episodes but awesome video game discussion.

Other gaming related shows: Indoor kids, weekend confirmed, a shoots b jumps

I haven't listened yet but Penn Jilette has a new podcast that just started called Penns Sunday school. If its anything like his radio show was it will be awesome!
    Jason Castillo
    Blog: www.Castilloillustration.com
    Twitter: @jasoncastillo
  • Josiah said:

I listen to the Robert Kelly podcast, i enjoy the trashings.

Ahh, I see there's an O&A representation going on around here

"Love you, love the show."

absolutely, great shows and comedians.
    "A space night like Rom, consume planets like Unicron Blasting photon bombs from the arm like Galvatron"-Ruler Zig-Zag-Zig Allah
  • Best of the Left - political with some comedy
    When in doubt zoom out
  • Walking The Room - Dave Anthony and Greg Behrendt, they have amazing comedy chemistry, are honest, hilarious and pure vulgarity.

WTF With Marc Maron, of course.

The Todd Glass Show - It's usually pretty long, but there are so many hilarious bits throughout, I love it.

You Made It Weird - Pete Holmes, the host, calls it "What the heck" basically referring it to be a rip off of WTF with Marc Maron. But it is great, great conversations.
  • I'm crazy about Dave Hill's podcasting incident. I don't understand why it doesn't get more attention.

Love the Joe Rogan Experience, even when Eddie Bravo gets too drunk and won't shut up.

Loved Beauty and Da Beast until they started bringing on guests. If the guest is funny it's great, if not it's just awful.

WTF is great.

Savage Love is funny and informative.

Bill Burr is a bobble-headed ginger genius.

Duncan is by far my favorite podcaster. I love never knowing what strange twists and turns the conversations will take.
  • Talkin Shit with Jim and Eddie - Jim Jeffries/Eddie Ifft epicness.

You Know What Dude - Bob Kelly

My Wife Hates Me - Rich Voss & Bonnie McFarlane

and of course JRE.
  • The Long Shot (Sean Conroy, Amber Kenney, Jamie Flam, Eddie Peppitone)

The Dork Forest (Jackie Kashian)

The Smartest Man in the World (Greg Proops)

Grandma's Virginity (Ryan Riddley, Jackie Buscarino, Justin Something) - This one is pretty unknown but it makes me laugh really, really hard...like crazy hard...and the jokes are so inappropriate you can't tell your coworkers what you are cracking up about. It's pretty much defunct, they claim they are going to put out one episode a month now, but that seems doubtful...but it's worth it to listen to all the back episodes. I think the reason it isn't well known is because it's hosted by people who work as writers and voice actors for kids cartoons.
  • Free Talk Live - the only political talk I can stomach. Very libertarian/anarchist leaning. I know, i know...Give it a shot!

Freedomain Radio - philosophy, atheism, parenting, relationships, the state... Thousands of episodes. Stefan is very charismatic. If you want to try it I'd say start with the ones titled "true news".

Mental illness happy hour - just discovered this one. Comedians and other interesting people talk about their own mental illnesses. Can go DEEP. See: the Kulap Vilaysak episode.

Brainy gamer - very infrequent episodes but awesome video game discussion.

Other gaming related shows: Indoor kids, weekend confirmed, a shoots b jumps

I haven't listened yet but Penn Jilette has a new podcast that just started called Penns Sunday school. If its anything like his radio show was it will be awesome!

Thank you for the recommendation of The Mental Illness Happy Hour! It's so good and it's raising awareness and fighting stigma in an entertaining way. I've already listened to 3 episodes today.
  • This is my current fave after Family Hour and the Rogan Podcast:

StarTalk with Neil Degrasse Tyson - Tons of great shows on there, nobody knows how to break down the craziness of the universe and science like Neil Tyson.

http://www.startalkradio.net/

Ari's podcast is amazing, one of my other faves nobody has mentioned so far would be What's Good with Freddie Lockhart on Deathsquad.

http://deathsquad.tv/?tag=freddy-lockhart

That dude will have a conversation with Morgan Freeman, Ice T, and the ghost of Biggie Smalls and you'd think there were 4 people in the room.
    "Up above aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home of all these weird creatures that lock up their spirits, drill holes in themselves, and live for their secrets. They're all uptight" -Radiohead
  • AWESOME THREAD

Just checked out Psychedelic Salon, thanks to everyone who recommended that one. Haven't heard anyone mention this one yet:
    http://redicecreations.com/">RedIceCreations.com

sweet esoteric interviews by this awesome Swedish film maker, Henrik Palmgren. I'm interested to see what people think about it, love the dude's accent and interviewing style!
    Post edited by plaidklaus at 2012-02-28 18:59:25
    The resistance to the technocratic military industrial complex begins Off-Grid
    http://mindcomics.com/OffGrid.html
  • The C-Realm Podcast
    http://c-realmpodcast.podomatic.com/

"Discussions on topics focused on the coming Vingean Singularity, Entheogenic Exploration, the re-localization of community & agriculture, and Individual Conscious Autonomy.".

• wow, this list is awesome. only one I can really add is The Survival Podcast, which gets annoying but it's basically 5 days a week of libertarian/survivalist mumbojumbo, some of it totally cool about gardening and stocking up on guns then some of it is super-shitty right wing BS.
  • AWESOME THREAD

Just checked out Psychedelic Salon, thanks to everyone who recommended that one. Haven't heard anyone mention this one yet:
    http://redicecreations.com/">RedIceCreations.com

sweet esoteric interviews by this awesome Swedish film maker, Henrik Palmgren. I'm interested to see what people think about it, love the dude's accent and interviewing style!

Love Redice. Usually over my head but Henrik is such a great interviewer. He knows when to let the guest talk and when to change the direction of the interview. I've never seen any of his movies... are they worth watching?

Does it have Mrs. Piggy? Does it have a clown? Then why is it funny?
  • @Josiah Bill Burr's monday morning podcast is excellent.

Highly recommended.

A favorite

• orgoneorgone
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me.

wow, this list is awesome. only one I can really add is The Survival Podcast, which gets annoying but it's basically 5 days a week of libertarian/survivalist mumbojumbo, some of it totally cool about gardening and stocking up on guns then some of it is super-shitty right wing BS.

Michael Badnarik, former Libertarian candidate for President, had a cool podcast for two years called Lighting the Fires of Liberty. Great information about hard money, sovereignty, taxation, the whole nine yards.

http://www.wtprn.com/archives.html#Michael
  • Psychedelic Salon
    Antiwar Radio w/ Scott Horton
    High Times w/ Danny Danko
    Norml Show Live
    This American Life
    Underground Wellness
    5 Decisions Away w/ Matt Paxton
  • Critical Music Podcast
    Hospital Records Podcast

and though you said besides comedy podcasts, i don't know if you mean just deathsquad and similar but

Ken P.D. Snydecast
  • awesome recommendations everyone.. going to check as many out as I can.
  • Politics and news - Red List Radio
    We're part of the Progressive Radio Network as well.

I cohost it and we try to have a good time. Past guests: Duncan, Sam Tripoli, Jeff "Snowman" Monson, David DeGraw(ampedstatus.com), Aubrey Marcus, Jason Bermas, and more.
    Post edited by Anonyphant at 2012-03-21 19:41:05
    "The body of a new born baby is as old as the Cosmos. The form is new and unique but the materials are 13.7 billion years old"
  • My favorites aside from DTHF.

WTF
    Comedy Bang Bang (strange improv)
    Radiolab (science)
    This American Life (everything)
    Ted Talks (Science)
    Nerdist (self explanatory)
    Joe Rogan Experience (variety)
    Sound Opinions (music)
    Mike and Tom Eat Snacks (food)

What are some music themed podcasts? Not songs necessarily, but more like album reviews, interviews, and history.
    Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • a few more music ones [electronic]

resident advisor podcast

data transmission podcast
  • Psychedelic Salon is awesome. I heard Duncan talk about it a year ago. Very cool listening to all the lectures.

Political Podcast

No Agenda

Comedy Podcast

A Mediocre Time With Tom And Dan

Geek Podcast

Ugly Couch Show

Movie Podcast

Spill
    Mail Order Zombie

Of course I always listen to Rogan, Beauty And Da Beast, and Death Squad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!