NetFlix DTFH style:
  • I love the buried docs and strange movies in netflix that are eye opening and entertaining. I would love to discuss some docs and hear about the docs and movies you have found on Netflix. the first one is The Yes Men Fix the World.....Watch it and get back to me...........Peace, unless you are a vampire.
    That is why all of us are worthy—to feel unworthy disrespects our purpose. (source unknown)
  • I really enjoyed The Workshop - lots of nudity
    When in doubt zoom out
  • lunopolis was pretty good. city on the moon 2012 conspiracy theory movie
  • i just watched a movie called special. it was pretty sad, and kind of eye opening maybe i could just relate? idk watch it though, its about some depressed meter maid type guy and he goes on an experiamental anti-deppressant and starts acting strange. its a kind of a sad movie, but its a feel good at the end. defenitly worth watching
  • If you are really high or just high on life, check out Im a cyborg but thats okay. I almost turned it off but I am glad that I saw it all the way through.
    That is why all of us are worthy—to feel unworthy disrespects our purpose. (source unknown)
  • Into the Realms of the Unreal is the story of the Henry Darger - one of my favorite documentaries

Trailer:
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I will meet you there." Rumi
  • If you're baked watch Enter the Void.
    Also DMT:The Spirit Molecule
  • jimmybob said:

Into the Realms of the Unreal is the story of the Henry Darger - one of my favorite documentaries

Trailer:

this looks unbeileivable

• 3 Women by Robert Altman is SO fuckin' strange... watch it sober.
  • I was surprised to see God Bless America out on Netflix already - directed by Bobcat Goldthwait... Heard them talking about it on JRE and figured I'd check it out. It's like Zombieland meets Network. It's "different", that's for sure, but reflects a lot of emotions I'm sure a lot of us "non-mainstreamers" feel everyday.
    Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.
    -Carl Sagan
  • ladychef said:

Just talking last night about Pulling John, a doc about high-level competitive arm wrestling. Total win.

Completely worth watching. Especially for the crazy Russian training scenes.
  • I really enjoyed How to Live Forever.

It's about aging and various people's attempts to overcome it or do it gracefully/ungracefully.
  • Oh god you guys are the best. This is perfect timing. Thank you!

Hm. DTFH Movie club?
  • 3 Women by Robert Altman is SO fuckin' strange... watch it sober.

Heh - because he made it high as a kite!

I've recently watched the Yes Men Fix the World and their other one - can't think of the name of it. Both are incredibly hilarious and you get to watch big evil corporations lose face so it has big schadenfreude points.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-08-21 01:15:17
    "the idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving" - Boat Car Guy
  • Docs:

F for Fake
    Death by Design
    Secret Life Of Plants
    Botany of Desire
    Shut Up Little Man
    Joseph Campbell: Mythos
    The Buddha
    Dark Days
    Exit Through the Gift Shop
    Until the Light Takes Us
    William S. Burroughs: A Man Within
    Best Worst Movie
    We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen
    The Secret of Nikola Tesla
    Resurrect Dead: Mystery of Toynbee Tiles
    This Film Is Not Yet Rated
  • Check out microcosmos. You'll be glad you did.
  • SirCortly said:

Check out microcosmos. You'll be glad you did.

Microcosmos is badass!

You all need to check out 'Encounters at the End of the World' which is all about Antarctica and all the unique people that live on a science base there.

• Manufactured Landscapes
    Between the Folds
    Even the Rain
    Waste Land
    The Wild and Wonderful Whites
    Man on Wire
    El Bulli: Cooking in Progress
    Ghost in the Shell 2.0

There are also some awesome 90's cartoon series =)

I'm going to check out Microcosmos soon
    Post edited by type_one_ at 2012-08-21 09:56:18
  • I second Into the Realms of the Unreal. It was one of those gems I found via browsing around when I first got Netflix in 2010. Brilliant, brilliant documentary.

Restrepo
    Joseph Campbell: The Hero's Journey
    Joseph Campbell: Sukhavati
    Joseph Campbell: Mythos
    Enlighten Up! (which has been discussed on this board before)
    Ashtanga, NY
    We Live in Public
    Cosmos (the Carl Sagan doc)
    All in This Tea
    F for Fake

For TV shows, or other episodic things:
    Samurai Champloo
    Trigun
    Highschool of the Dead (seriously)
    Louie
    John Benjamin Has a Van
    Actually, Netflix is the best when searching for TV shows to watch. You can search in vain for a popular movie all you like (i.e. Jurassic Park [wtf netflix?!]), but I've had better luck when looking for old shows that I liked or current ones I want to catch up with.

I don't really watch non-doc movies on Netflix, though when I do it's usually the hard to get French, Italian, Filipino, Chinese, or old school Japanese films that I like to watch. I recently canceled my DVD subscription on the site when the prices went up, but I'm considering getting it again so I can satisfy the Seijun Suzuki phase I'm going through right now.

Oh, and I just discovered that Medicine for Melancholy is on instant watch. Wyatt Cenac is the lead character (this is pre-Daily Show), it is essentially a character study on two people falling in love over the course of a day and a meditation on San Francisco. I saw it at a film festival in 2009 and it's stuck with me as a great movie since then.

It also appears a new documentary on douche bros is on instant watch. It's called Jersey Shore. Highly recommended.

Post edited by Satan at 2012-08-21 13:05:52
    "Say my name three times and I'll appear and hold your balls." --Duncan
  • No Vacancy was a movie about people living in a middle of no where hotel, it was entertaining, I used to live in a hotel and it was a pretty accurate movie.
  • House of Numbers was a doc about AIDS being made up, I don't know what to think about that one, I have to pull a joe rogan, I believe but I don't believe it.
  • I thought Street Thief was really good. I still do, but now that I know it is a docu-style work of fiction I'm a little let down.

Exit Through the Gift Shop
    The Gerson Miracle
    The Union

Creepy documentary is I Think Were Alone Now.
    "No one knows enough to worry." - Terence McKenna

http://highdeas.com/users/NotHilarious
  • Pulling John was a great doc. The Workshop if i'm thinking of the one Optimisto is talking about was interesting. Although that place seemed like a swingers club ran by a self help speech guy.
  • Did anyone see Zeitgeist all the way through? It begins with all these horrifying images of war and shit, it caught us off guard (super stoned) and we turned it off, on the verge of tears like "What the fuck is going on?!". That shit was intense, man!
  • @Cheerybomb Yikes, that flick would be harsh in the green zone.
  • -
    Post edited by wolvesatmydoor at 2012-09-22 16:05:56
  • Did anyone see Zeitgeist all the way through? It begins with all these horrifying images of war and shit, it caught us off guard (super stoned) and we turned it off, on the verge of tears like "What the fuck is going on?!". That shit was intense, man!

It's a good crowbar into some tough issues to address. Some concepts are a bit too simplified, but it gives a nice starting point on a lot of interesting topics. Give it another shot soberly.
    The resistance to the technocratic military industrial complex begins Off-Grid
    http://mindcomics.com/OffGrid.html
  • I can't imagine watching Zeitgeist sober

It's a good crowbar into some tough issues to address. Some concepts are a bit too simplified, but it gives a nice starting point on a lot of interesting topics. Give it another shot soberly.

Working up to it, thanks!
  • I really enjoyed the documentary, Abel Raises Cain. Its about this girl's parents who have made it their lives mission to pull pranks on the media.

Its quite entertaining. also her dad is a pretty interesting dude.
    Twitter: Deadpool1205
  • I love how some movies are directed to be watched high and some movies are directed to watch sober.
  • Deadpool said:

I really enjoyed the documentary, Abel Raises Cain. Its about this girl's parents who have made it their lives mission to pull pranks on the media.

Its quite entertaining. also her dad is a pretty interesting dude.

Sounds fascinating... here's the trailer. That clip of the guy yelling "You're a phony!" sounds like it may be where that Family Guy scene came from..

• Just watched Microcosmos it was awesome! Good rec
  • Jiro Dreams of Sushi is really good.
  • 2nding whoever posted "The wild and wonderful whites of west virginia" Seriously one of the most entertaining things ive ever seen
  • Documentaries:
    I was on a DPRK kick for a while:
    The Red Chapel - heartbreaking. There are no disabled people in paradise.
    Crossing the Line - US Army deserters living in NK.

Film:
    The Gate - cheesy 80's horror. Like Invaders From Mars with an Occult bent.
    Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - not as good as the show sometimes was but I love abandoned malls and putting junk in all our holes. It put me in a weird headspace that bled strange energy into my reality for a good 24 hours.

TV
    Spaced - Shaun of the Dead meets turn of the century stoner raver britcom.

Volumus; Possumus; Quid non
    We Will; We can; Why not?
  • Dudeman said:

2nding whoever posted "The wild and wonderful whites of west virginia" Seriously one of the most entertaining things ive ever seen

A little too close to home for me. I could barely watch it to the end. But it is excellently weird.

WWWoWV is to Gummo as Dogtown and Z-Boys is to Lords of Dogtown.
  • I watched Snow in the bluff last night, A compelling documentary style movie of Curtis snow a drug dealer out of Georgia and his day to day life.
    "There's only room for one Boss and one Snake"
  • I watched Snow in the bluff last night, A compelling documentary style movie of Curtis snow a drug dealer out of Georgia and his day to day life.

This is a good movie a very interesting look into the hood.
  • My name is Earl is awesome, I watched every episode.
  • The Woodmans - a depressing documentary about an artists who killed herself. Very interesting to look at what it must be like to live in a family of artists. I enjoyed.
    Encounters at the Edge of the World is probably among my top 5 movies of all time, hands down. I have watched it at least 30 times since it's release. Also, Cave of Forgotten Dreams struck a real chord too, but it's definitively not as great. (I did start crying when I looked at the cave paintings for the first time though.)
  • "A Boy and His Dog" is a goofy fun time.

• Documentaries:
    I was on a DPRK kick for a while:
    The Red Chapel - heartbreaking. There are no disabled people in paradise.

Just watched it, great doc,

• duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah
    Ram Dass Fierce Grace

• They just added a Bukowski doc, haven't watched it yet but it looks pretty good.
  • Thanks for the good recommendations!
    Here's some that I've enjoyed-
    The Parking Lot Movie - interesting doc about dudes working at a parking lot, better than it sounds
    Commune - doc about a California hippy commune in the 60's
    Compassion in Emptiness - the Dalai Lama discusses numerous Buddhist tenets
    Sleepwalk With Me - comedian Mike Birbiglia's movie

The most recent movie I watched was I Love You Phillip Morris and, holy hell, is that a great movie!
  • I Love You Phillip Morris

Availability:
    Streaming:
    Until 2/3/13

Thanks for the recommendation @vegetate, i'm on it... it only appears to be streamable though the weekend (they're using the phase "suck a dick" a lot... powerful Ace Ventura!).

Is it not bullshit DVD rentals costs extra on top of streaming?

When I was sold on the Netflix game a year or two ago, I thought I'd be getting both when I eventually bought in... it is only $96/year, and I wipe my ass with $100bills.
  • Ai Wei Wei, Never Sorry - great doc about Chinese artist/activist facing some pretty scary oppression at the hands of his gov't.

Magic Bus- doc about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters

Saint Misbehaving- Wavy Gravy documentary

"I'm like an opening band for the sun".

NEW for the holidays 12/24/13:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMysteryMoment

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!