We got some money. Now what?
  • My roommate and I have decided to try out spirituality in all forms, but when we do something, we go all out. We have come into a lot of disposable income and we're taking a considerable amount of time off from the rat race and we want to give this a shot. Though we're skeptics at heart, we see a lot in testimonial evidence and want to experience it for ourselves. We're going to dedicate our minds and bodies for four months solid to the whole program and we want your input.

If you think we should go vegan, then we're going vegan.
    If you think we should meditate for hours a day, you got it.
    If you think we should build a float tank like Joe, or do Ayahuasca in Brazil, done.
    If you think we should wear little tinfoil yamakas and sacrifice a goat over a copper bowl, kill yourself.

Give us books, supplements, diet regime, training, meditation practice, anything that you think an enlightened person would do/suggest. Ultimately, we want to see some real shit: astral projection, channeling, spirit guides, psychic stuff, ghost blowjob, etc. That's the goal. Of course, we'll come back and report our findings.

We talk everyday about theology, advancements and trends in technology, politics, culture and the arts, but spirituality is something we don't know a much about. Having read some literature, we find it all quite appealing, it still seems pretty hokey, but probably better then than blowing all the money on hookers and coke.
    Positive thought, though. I can get behind that. Feels good.

Also, if you don't think this is stupid, or a waste of time, let us know.

Thanks!

• First step, buy a mala.
    एकम् सत् विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति
    That which exists is One, but sages call it by various names.
  • I don't speak for the whole board here, at all, but sounds to me like you're not really getting the deepest point of this "thing", "spirituality". And that's that it is always, infinitely outside of your control/understanding. Maybe you can grasp it in certain concepts, but if you want these things:
    astral projection, channeling, spirit guides, psychic stuff, ghost blowjob, etc.
    you have to seek them out yourself.
  • Well, it's not like it's easy to express the extent of one's spiritual journey in the length of a thread post. Also, it's not like there is a Spirituality 101 class at the Learning Annex, so I'm asking the board.

Consider this: If you had some time and money with intent to expand your spiritual awareness, what would you do?
  • It means something different to everybody and no one person or one group of people have it right. I would first try to figure out where your interests lie instead of having other people pick those interests for you.

That's just my opinion though, I'm sure someone can show me how I don't have it right.
  • Walk the earth like Caine...

Vagabonding is about taking time off from your normal life—from six weeks to four months to two years—to discover and experience the world on your own terms. Veteran shoestring traveler Rolf Potts shows how anyone armed with an independent spirit can achieve the dream of extended overseas travel. Potts gives the necessary information on:

• financing your travel time
    • determining your destination
    • adjusting to life on the road
    • working and volunteering overseas
    • handling travel adversity
    • re-assimilating back into ordinary life

Not just a plan of action, vagabonding is an outlook on life that emphasizes creativity, discovery, and the growth of the spirit.

http://www.amazon.com/Vagabonding-Uncommon-Guide-Long-Term-Travel/dp/0812992180/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343299488&sr=1-1&keywords=vagabonding+an+uncommon+guide+to+the+art+of+long-term+world+travel
    Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
    "There was only one tunnel, dark and solitary: mine, the tunnel in which I had spent my childhood, my youth, my entire life." -Ernesto Sabato
  • Do this then.

Post edited by dizweld at 2012-07-26 06:49:00
  • lsd and sythesizers
  • Just spend a week not doing anything you don't want to do - only do what you want. Spirituality is about getting back in touch w/ SPIRIT & you don't actually have to do anything in order to do that - not even what I'm suggesting. You don't even have to watch this video...
    The only thing worth doing is that which I can do by will alone... everything else is just passing time. (*)
  • I'm at a point where everything else but Self-enquiry seems kinda pointless.

Just look within, nothing in the outside world can help you. I really feel like reading books and watching videos about spirituality is just a form of procrastination.
  • I think you answered your own question homeboy. Isolation tank, meditation, healthy food, mushrooms, nature walks, the beach, books, no TV or internet, weed, hash.
    Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see and hear. Since the initial publication of the charted electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one millionth of reality.
  • You should wake up every morning and do, say and think everything you would normally, but observe it as if it is the first time you have been in your body.
  • The guy who wrote Ecclesiastes tried something similar. You could read that. Or just figure it out yourself and write your own book.
  • RyanRyan
    Hrair
    Donate. If I ever had what I considered to be disposable income, I'd rather give it charities than trying to come up with more things to buy. Be creative with it. Order pizza and tip the driver $40, maybe even give them back the pizza to eat. Do the 'pay for the guy behind you in line' thing. Give me $350 so I can repair my car so I can get an inspection sticker and drive to work :D
    ryancarrier.com
  • How did u get this exTra cash....can i join u?
    10th planet JJ
  • If I came into a disposable income i'd dedicate myself to channeling my creativity. I dunno buy a camera and a lot of drugs. Record your conversations, focus on the solid ones, incubate ideas. Act on those ideas, finish projects. Put out a product that you can be proud of, don't settle for anything less. All the while, feed your body good food, and focus on your health. Adopt a chill dog. I don't know man.

Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-07-27 23:33:44
  • daspleef has a good idea i personally would attempt to recreate the experiment at la chorrera and hopefully you can find a ufo or the philosophers stone or an extended period of schizophrenia like ideation all well recorded with excellent audio and video and of course a babysitter dont get to crazy
    Much love
  • updates?
  • If I were you I'd practice the art of charity, starting with giving the ancient alien guy on the dtfh board some $$$.
  • Start a podcast or even a Youtube show, documenting everything. Take one thing at a time from an online "suggestion box", and document it.

I would stay away from any distractions such as the TV or randomly searching around the internet though. Just stick to the DTFH. And while some charities do have a good intention, a lot of them carry tons of overhead, and more than likely you'll just be wasting money.

I say start with the isolation tank! And I'll even help you guys build it (I'm mechanically inclined and love building stuff, and do drafting, and have done 3-D concept modeling previously). All you have to do is give me a few months salary so I can quit my soul sucking job, buy my broke ass a plane ticket, pay for a hotel or apartment for the duration of the build, and we're good to go ;) I could even film the suggested Youtube show, or set up a podcast studio with your money! Doesn't hurt to try, does it?
    Post edited by blamehofman at 2012-08-14 18:15:55
    Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.
    -Carl Sagan
  • I was fortunate enough to have made enough money at my last job to be in a similar situation to the OP. About 3 years ago I quit my job with the intention of finding something new after about 6 months. 3 years later and I'm just now thinking of starting something new.

I haven't done anything too productive or creative, but I've enjoyed the hell out of these 3 years. I got in shape, I eat super-healthy, and I get to wake and bake whenever I want. Whether you do anything productive or not it can still be a great experience.

With regard to your studies, I would recommend that, in addition to looking at other things, explore your skepticism more deeply. Since you asked for recommendations, I'd start with this. If you find it interesting, these guys have hours and hours of videos on Youtube, and they're highly informative. While they are arguing against claims of god in this clip, it's quite clear that it applies equally to pseudo-scientific "spiritual" claims of eternal consciousness, etc. Watching a couple of these before getting into the Ram Dass (or whatever) might give you new ways to look at new information more critically (or it may not). Good luck either way.

• ladychef said:

I will say, spend more time on the actions (meditation, pranayama, right diet, etc) than you do on reading or thinking about them. So many people mistake reading about spirituality for spirituality. Sooner or later, you've just got to put the books down and go sit under that tree, you dig?

This post is really resonating with me right now. Kudos to you, ladychef.

• If I were you guys/girls I would walk. Walk for four months. Get a two person tent and some good sneakers. Wake up every morning and do some sort of yoga or stretching exercise. Contemplate the rising sun and the rotation of the earth. Take it all in and get on your way. Walk until you're absolutely starved. Eat. And get on your way. Keep walking. Talk to people along the way. Avoid people. Chant while you walk. Go without a compass or a map. Just keep going. Every evening have long conversations and record them. When you're done, edit the conversations and share the audio with us here. That's what I would do.
    “Stop consuming images and start producing them.” – Terence McKenna
    My Blog
    Some of My Writing on Amazon (Sometimes a Free Download on Weekends)
  • pbzen said:

If I were you guys/girls I would walk. Walk for four months. Get a two person tent and some good sneakers. Wake up every morning and do some sort of yoga or stretching exercise. Contemplate the rising sun and the rotation of the earth. Take it all in and get on your way. Walk until you're absolutely starved. Eat. And get on your way. Keep walking. Talk to people along the way. Avoid people. Chant while you walk. Go without a compass or a map. Just keep going. Every evening have long conversations and record them. When you're done, edit the conversations and share the audio with us here. That's what I would do.

I really dig this idea too. Shit man, I hope that YOU do this (and not OP), would be some real "Zen and Art of Human Maintenance" style shit.
  • dizweld said:

Do this then.

Dude. Damn.

I mean, shit.
    Post edited by jimmybob at 2012-08-20 23:19:08
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I will meet you there." Rumi
  • Just don't start sniffing anyone's feet.
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • Take that money, build a giant douche nozzle, donate it to charity.
  • This is a powerful thread, just the reason I love this place. Here's my thing, I've searched for enlightenment all my life, in books, psychedelics, isolation, meditation, etc. I've gone all "Henry David Thoreau", living in Alaska, in a cabin with an outhouse, heat with wood, kill what I eat, and so on, the whole " chop wood and carry water" thing, literally. I have found beauty, and novelty and truth in these things, but not "enlightenment". They helped me grow and develop my character, but my soul remained unsatisfied.
    A wise man once claimed: To find true enlightenment, find suffering, and work toward easing that suffering. THIS is what's up!
    A couple years ago I got the opportunity to bring a meals-on-wheels program to a part of Alaska that has never had any senior services before, and friends, I found suffering. Everywhere. It was mind blowing, so many broken people, so many chances to do the right thing. This one change in in my life has nourished my soul more than all the philosophy books, awesome vacations, awesome drugs, awesome sex, and meditation combined. Helping those who suffer allows me to be hope for the hopeless, love for the unloved, relief for the tormented. It's really amazingly transformational, to embody goodness. It sounds cliche', I know, but there's Magic here, truly.
    The secret to life is to choose Love, ALWAYS, and the path to enlightenment is to find suffering and squash that shit. Practice these things, and you'll leave a trail of smiles, you'll set an example for those around you, and genuinely make the world a better place.
    Sorry if that came off preachy, but I'm convinced that this one idea has allowed my soul to sort of "level-up". If that makes sense. It seems to be a central theme throughout the spiritual genre, and yet; The map is not the territory. It simply must be experienced. Not just by writing a check to your favorite charity, but by really getting in there, accumulating a series of personal experiences where you are responsible for another human beings comfort. The feeling that comes from this transcends ego, and reminds everyone involved that we are all one, and I think that's pretty cool.
    Good luck with whatever path you take, keep us posted. Peace.
  • ^"A wise man once claimed: To find true enlightenment, find suffering, and work toward easing that suffering. THIS is what's up! "
    Post edited by thechosenone at 2012-08-30 12:46:38
    Check out my ebook Nip The Bud - The Fastest Way to Quit Weed guaranteed. Link : http://bit.ly/NipTheBud ( Get it though Duncans Amazon Portal to help out the podcast )
  • "Give back to the community that you are rapping" - Tupac Shakur
    "There's only room for one Boss and one Snake"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!