Marriage
  • Am I crazy? I am not much of a gambler, but I think I can beat the odds (we all do, right?)... how many of you are married? Divorced? Have you made a solemn vow to stay solo? Do some freaky alternative thing? Gay and cannot legally get married?

So yeah, thoughts on marriage...
  • Marriage seems unrealistic and unnecessary.

• married 17 years...we've been together 20...
    Eyes that have seen will know what I mean - Todd Rundgren
  • I've been divorced. ^Thats awesome piquiod.
  • I'm approaching common-law status
  • Only if kids come into the picture, and still, then I might try and argue...
    Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see and hear. Since the initial publication of the charted electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one millionth of reality.
  • I've never wanted to get married & I've never wanted to have kids - that doesn't mean one day I won't. I lived w/ a chick for about 8 years - so I know what I'm missing & what I'm not. I have plenty of friends w/ kids & I also have a niece & nephew - that's good enough for now.

There are three things that exist in this waking world that I'm never not gonna like - PUSSY, WEED & MOUNTAIN DEW.

The only thing worth doing is that which I can do by will alone... everything else is just passing time. (*)
  • Married. Pretty happily actually. The benefits of marriage with the right woman outweigh the cons if you ask me.

"Up above aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home of all these weird creatures that lock up their spirits, drill holes in themselves, and live for their secrets. They're all uptight" -Radiohead
  • Irrational institution. /Stanhope

Shit is ridikalouce.
  • Will be married for ten years in September.
    I've been with her for 13.
    I couldn't be happier.
    She is one in a million for sure
  • To the married people, was marriage always a goal of yours or did you "come around" to it? Did you "know" your mate was marriage material, or did you learn it over time? I'm curious to hear about your experiences.
    "the idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving" - Boat Car Guy
  • Stanhope is great. I feel like I'm well-read on most issues like this, yet he always seems to be able to add a new angle I've never considered. The next time I'm in a debate with one of my super-religious relatives and they say that marriage is a sacred institution, I'm busting out Stanhope's: "if marriage in its current form didn't exist, would you invent it? Would you, a supposed small-government conservative, design marriage so that the government was involved?". Of course not. I'm anxious to see how they react to that one.
  • Marriage was def not a goal of mine. Been with my wife for over 10 years, married for 4 of them. The "Marriage" part really wasn't a big deal for us. It was just boring stuff somewhat because that is what people expect to happen and it shuts them up and hey you get a party and gifts!

Luckily we have kids on both sides of our family from our other siblings because we don't have plans to have any and parents can obviously get a bit crazy about that, plus we have a trump card that we could make them shut up about it if we really wanted.

I had a good feeling that my wife was great, I mean that is why I started hanging around her! But it was definitely a learned over time thing more than anything else for me. After time I knew she was someone I knew I would not fall into a rut with and could continue to grow/learn both personally and together.
    Post edited by Malaclypse at 2012-07-23 14:31:04
  • plus we have a trump card that we could make them shut up about it if we really wanted.

What is your trump card, if you don't mind me asking ?
  • @pman219, not something you would want to have. But my wife was very sick at one point. I don't want to get into the details on this forum necessarily, but some of the treatments she went through typically make it very difficult to have kids later. At one point we were deciding whether to pay a shit ton of money (insurance wouldn't cover it) to decide if we wanted to save some her eggs and decided against it. So basically they can't say shit to us (and don't) because it would make them look silly. Not that they necessarily would be annoying about it, we like both sets of our parents. But other family members less close than our parents we could use it for if we must :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!