Coffee
  • I've been trying to find some real research (someone whose business model is not contingent upon selling 'mycotoxin free' coffee) showing a biologically relevant association between mycotoxins and coffee and this is what I have found:

This report reviews studies concerning the susceptibility of green coffee beans to mycotoxin contamination. Included are investigations on normal mold flora, toxin production in inoculated beans, effect of experimental roasting on aflatoxin, ochratoxin, and sterigmatocystin, and survey on the presence of these toxins in commercial green coffee. Because of the extremely low frequency of findings, the low levels of toxins, and the experimental data showing 70--80% destruction by the roasting process of toxin added to green coffee, further study on this topic has been discontinued.

http://tiny.cc/u7v6rw

During the process of converting green coffee to roasted and soluble coffees, up to 90% reduction in OTA (a mycotoxin) levels can occur.

http://tiny.cc/y8v6rw

Seven out of these nine reported that the relevant range of OTA reductions was between 69 and 96%. Among these seven,are all four studies that reported using naturally contaminated beans, a sampling procedure adapted to mycotoxin inhomogeneity, and roasting conditions within the range of actual practice

http://tiny.cc/8aw6rw

• type_one_ said:

I've been trying to find some real research (someone whose business model is not contingent upon selling 'mycotoxin free' coffee) showing a biologically relevant association between mycotoxins and coffee

I've been wondering about this myself. I've been making "bulletproof" coffee with the grassfed butter and its delicious/seems to work on the appetite the way he describes, but I'm still skeptical of the mycotoxin thing (I'm not saying I think its bullshit, just that the only place I've really heard about it is from this guy who is selling it)

• Where are you guys getting your grassfed butter from? Whole Foods?
  • On coffee mold: SciAm article
    एकम् सत् विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति
    That which exists is One, but sages call it by various names.
  • Where are you guys getting your grassfed butter from? Whole Foods?

I found it at the local grocers, sometimes in the specialty cheese type islands, sometimes with the normal butter. Prices range from $4-$6 for the normal sized package of Kerrygold... then Sam's has the large tub of Kerrygold for $7, which if I remember right is 17.5oz

We don't have a Whole Foods here, but we do have a local chain that is similar. Strangely, they do not carry any grassfed butter and neither do any of the local dairy farmers.
    Post edited by LucemPortabo at 2013-02-08 16:33:30
  • This is how I roll, this appliance is highly recommended. received it as a gift from someone who should've known i prefer quantity over quality ("I'll say when I've had enough! GODDAMNIT KAREN! Where did you put my fucking bottle!").

But what that person who didn't know me failed to consider, is that I'm planing for the #COLLAPSE and if i can grind my beans by hand:
    i'll need some clean water and throw 'em in one of these:
  • I've yet to try Dave Asprey's coffee. I can say anecdotally with certainty that when I use premium single estate coffee from reputable sources the coffee first and foremost taste better. I do add about two tablespoons of coconut oil and sometimes a bit of grass-fed butter. I definitely notice two things, I have far more energy than from just a cup of plain coffee, and I do not have much of anything resembling a crash. I drink about a cup a day, nearly every day.

Added to that, I have also been eating Paleo for the past 25 days, and swinging a kettlebell for the past 14 days. All of those factors combined work in synergy. I feel better, more energized and so much more alive than I've felt in my whole adult life.

Not to mention my fat is melting away, and muscle building really fast (I won the genetic lottery when it comes to muscle building).

I suppose the point i'm trying to make is; when you do things like change diet, avoid toxins/molds/etc, exercise, have a positive outlook on life, everything will work in synergy and the effects will be amplified. For example, I notice the effects of Alpha Brain far more now that I am living a healthier lifestyle.

These things have a sort of cumulative effect, unlike drugs. I admit I am an addict. I abused painkillers like Oxycontin, and oxymorphone for several years. I got on suboxone to get off of those and although it has given me a life (past 3 years) without withdrawal symptoms from opiates eventually I will have to deal with kicking it. The one thing i've learned from all of this is that saying "I'll deal with my health later." is the worst thing one can do. I went from feeling like it will be an insurmountable task to get off of suboxone, to knowing that I can do it. Once again its a matter of taking action.

Alright, I went way off topic. The important point here was MCT oil/Coconut oil/healthy fats added to coffee can (at least in my experience) boost energy, suppress appetite, and avoid a crash.
  • +1 for Bulletproof coffee, it works a treat. I just ordered some Bulletproof MCT oil online as it's actually cheaper than buying it from my local supplement store (nz$25 for 500ml as opposed to nz$46 including shipping for a litre) here in New Zealand.

I wouldn't stress too much about the Mycotoxins, just don't buy mass produced shit and make sure you buy your coffee from a local roastery selling quality beans. Single origin, organic coffees should be all good. I guarantee it will taste better too!
  • Honestly, I don't understand how you guys can drink black coffee. I think it tastes like shit unless i've got something to sweeten it, usually with some cream or soy milk as well.

Granted I am drinking low grade coffee, but even when I get my shit from Starbux I still have to sweeten it.

the bitterness is suppose keep you from drinking too many cups. The idea is that you take sips to make one cup of coffee last a long time. Now it is an acquired taste.
  • Honestly, I don't understand how you guys can drink black coffee. I think it tastes like shit unless i've got something to sweeten it, usually with some cream or soy milk as well.

Granted I am drinking low grade coffee, but even when I get my shit from Starbux I still have to sweeten it.

Of course you have to sweeten your starbucks, they roast that shit to death, literally.
    Darker roasts are a lot bitterer, and are also a sign of low grade coffee. After a certain point in the roast, the coffee's individual flavour characteristics disappear and are replaced by ash/creosote flavours - which is exactly what my last starbucks tasted like. If they roast their coffee to that point, it makes you wonder what flavours they are trying to hide.

When I was at a coffee producers farm in Colombia, they made us a coffee, but they brewed with the sugar already in it. It was so sweet it was disgusting and I've never been able to drink coffee with sugar again.

If you can find a quality lighter roast coffee, you won't need milk either.

Post edited by tamper at 2013-02-17 17:27:36

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!