Game of Thrones
  • ok, i know there are already probably 1,000 threads on this but i have to make a confession. i had never seen this show but got so tired of hearing rogan talk about it (and other people so its not just him) that i finally gave up and watched it. i went into it so cynical its not even funny and i basically WANTED to hate this show in a way to prove a point or something (idk haha im stupid i guess) but basically what happened is this show has blown my fucking mind. like, this show is seriously fucking legit so if you havent watched it but are putting it off because you think you wont like it, then for real just give in and watch it and you wont be disappointed. like i said, i was seriously looking to hate this show so much but i actually fucking love it haha. watched the entire first season in 2 days. it is a brutal ass show that KEEPS IT REAL. you never know whats going to happen and its so epic. ill be watching season 2 over the next couple days and then waiting for season 3 im sure haha. i thought it was going to be a boring/dull show but i couldnt have been more wrong. im not even the type of dude who normally even likes this 'lord of the rings' type bullshit either but i love this haha
    Post edited by Cthulutaur at 2012-07-18 14:27:46
    STEAM:CTHULUTAUR--BLIZZARD:CTHULUTAUR#1837--TWITTER:@FUCKYRICKY--NOWFUTURE.TK
  • Read the books.
    Black people really understand hats.- Ico
  • im sure i will because im pretty hooked on the shit now and i have a feeling even watching this full second season isnt going to be enough to quench this game of thrones thirst i have going haha so ill probably read the books right after that to keep it going since season 3 is so far off
  • DONT read the books.
    When in doubt zoom out
  • duncan should read the game of thrones and release it as an audiobook. that would be the worst best thing ever
  • optimisto said:

DONT read the books.

I promise I will not.
    and my soul has been psychedelicized
  • my new nerdy wallpaper

• I've tried so many times to get into it because people constantly talk about how good the show is. I have seen like 6-7 episodes... bored to death during all of them.
  • damn man, that sucks. i tried to be bored but it was hard to do when like every scene is somebody getting their fucking head chopped off or titties flopping around n shit while some viking looking fucks swing battle axes around. its a god damn festival of entertainment and i cant look away
  • My Tv-show taste is like redban's Tbh ... I don't have taste in other words.
  • I like cooking/food shows :P
  • in that case watch the original iron chef cooking show from japan while super baked and let the good times roll. slow motion replays of people cutting meat have never been better.
    Post edited by Cthulutaur at 2012-07-18 18:14:30
  • This show is fantastic! Peter Dinklage is killing it on this show. The Imp is my favorite character hands down. I'm probably going to read the books, I don't know if I can wait another year. What's wrong with the books optimisto?
  • Winter is coming..............eventually. I love the fuck out of this show and my favorite part about it is that the whores and just not good looking at all, except the high class ones which is the way shit would go I imagine. Also the Dire Wolves. And Dinklage steals the show, which is saying something because there are amazing mostly unknown actors on that show. Also the sets. Also every goddamn thing about this show fucking rules and if you're not watching it, you should be.
    Here we all feel alive, Here we use our minds, Let us form together, Use our minds, Recreate, redesign Here forever
    With a new world in our hands We will gain control
  • It takes some effort to read the books, but if you decide to you will not regret it. Some of the best character driven books I have ever read. You really get to know the main characters and it constantly keeps you wondering. I'm only on book two but I love nerding out with this series.
  • I read the first three books while on holiday. They're total page-turners but they're loooooooong.

I fucking love the show, I think that after Dinklage the little girl who plays Arya is the best character on the show. She's amazing.

In fact, I think all the kids in the show are great. Can you imagine if they had cast the standard precocious Hollywood brats? It'd be unwatchable.

Season three has some incredible material coming up. I hear they're going to split the third book up into two seasons, which is probably wise. Especially since the show will be waiting a fucking age for Martin to write the next book.
  • Same here--favorite characters are Tyrion and Arya. Dinklage is amazing, and the girl who plays Arya is a great actor. Overall, I'd have to say that the kid who plays Joffrey is the most impressive, though. That poor kid. Everybody who's watched that show wants to beat his ass--just for being good at his job. Even knowing he's not really Joffrey I'd still feel the urge to bitch slap him like Tyrion did if I saw him in public. That's some convincing acting. And man, did his story get DARK in season 2.
  • to my new obsession:

• Yeh I don't get the hype though I probably went into it with a different perception. The Walking Dead on the other hand, I get the hype. :)
  • to my new obsession:

Spectacular!

I'm sure a lot of us have done something very similar. That music is so incredibly rousing, it's impossible not to sing along with it.
  • Yeh I don't get the hype though I probably went into it with a different perception. The Walking Dead on the other hand, I get the hype. :)

Having read the source material for both, and watched both, the Game of Thrones adaptation is faithful to the spirit and tone of the original work. It is an excellent piece of television, with some heavyweight actors and a beautiful visual style. It does go a bit overboard on the titties, and I think the portrayal of Littlefinger is a bit hammy but otherwise it's good.

The Walking Dead on the other hand is pretty poor, it destroys the tone of the comic and has a lot of very irritating scenes of bathos and a hamfisted softening of all the characters, making them stupid, and following that awful convention where the only way the plot can move forwards is if everybody acts like a fool. It's possible that this improves later on but they lost me very early and I'm not coming back.

I'd thoroughly recommend the book and comic in both cases.

"Ultimately, nothing in this life is “commonplace,” nothing is “in between.” The threads that join your every act, your every thought, are infinite. All paths of mastery eventually merge." - George Leonard
  • I couldn't get into the Walking dead at all either. Seemed pretty cheesy with a lot of bad acting from my perspective. I only watched like the first 6 eps though.

Game of thrones seems to be doing pretty well to me. Hoping that the show can fix some of the meandering that goes on in the 4th and 5th books while still getting the story across.
  • Yes, the latest books are in severe need of a strong editor who can cut 50% of the Cersei / Dany chapters that go nowhere.
    "Ultimately, nothing in this life is “commonplace,” nothing is “in between.” The threads that join your every act, your every thought, are infinite. All paths of mastery eventually merge." - George Leonard
  • yea i gotta agree with the people on walking dead not really being that great. that was another show i heard a lot about and finally gave into watching except for that one i only made it through the first season or so and felt id seen enough. just didnt really suck me in at all. id rather read the comic books to be honest. game of thrones on the other hand? shit, im buying the fucking soundtrack i love this shit so god damn much haha. its getting out of hand.

*btw lets try to keep this thread spoiler free for all shows! i know nobody has said anything im just putting it out there now*
    Post edited by Cthulutaur at 2012-07-20 11:25:45
  • nordicpheasantnordicpheasant
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me., Banned
    The books are awesome up until the 4th one, as far as the tv show, cersei and khaleesi are hot as fuck. If you all like this show you should check out ROME, also an HBO series.
    celticrebel.wordpress.com
    http://freedompup.com/
  • ive went too far. i edited the first season into 3 seperate movies, taking out the credits and intros except for the beginning intro so that they play through continuously like a film rather than a tv show. the first part is episodes 1-3, part 2 is episodes 4-6 and part 3 is episodes 7-10. they are like 2 1/2 hours each except for the last one which is over 3 hours. i used the 'game of thrones fuck yea' music as the opening intro music for each haha its fucking amazing. will do the same shit for season 2. part 1: winter is coming, part 2: the wolf and the lion, part 3: the golden crown. im mental for this show god damn.
    Post edited by Cthulutaur at 2012-07-22 21:44:43
  • I just finished reading all the books so far. Everyone told me the fourth and fifth would be the least fulfilling, but I loved them as much as the others. The show is amazing too. I rewatch certain episodes when I'm in the mood, just 'cause.
    "Say my name three times and I'll appear and hold your balls." --Duncan
  • ive been listening to the audiobooks which are pretty good but i need to get the actual books to read because its not the same imho
  • Some books translate well to audio, some don't. What helps with the physical books is that they have appendices and maps, and you can flip back and forth in case you missed something. But they are dense.
  • The imp keeps me interested. As does Kalesis's tittays
  • they are fucking so that they can usurp the throne later on with their bloodline. there are deeper motives to it than just splooging. also, the dwarf is supposed to be amazing because in their world they would normally just throw a dwarf baby into the woods because why the fuck not so when he is fucking bitches and ruling shit its supposed to be pretty crazy shit with impossible implications almost, which is why he is the only one you see. the only reason he lived past birth and has the life he has is because he is a lannister
    Post edited by Cthulutaur at 2012-07-22 23:29:26
  • Duncan mentioned an HBO Go television series starring Brody Steven Stephens. Anyone willing to share their HBO Go password with the Family?
  • This is the first season where I have read the book first, before seeing it. There enough subtle differences, to where my attention is still captured, and still surprised! Great start to what is going to be an INSANE season.
  • Got some super dorky confessions here...

I learned the theme song on piano and played along to the premiere.
    My Skyrim character looks just like Daenerys Targaryen.

I measured my waistline in planck lengths and now I feel awful.
    photo tmp_824317984_zps500a3873.jpeg
    I wanna be a hippie, but I forgot how to love.
  • Loved the first book, second book was a chore, and I dropped the third book about halfway through it. My attention span has a hard time keeping up with all the different characters/storylines so it just wasn't very fulfilling for me. I've enjoyed the first 2 seasons of the show though.
  • DrStrib said:

Got some super dorky confessions here...

I learned the theme song on piano

don't feel sad
    I did the same thing on my harp
    Post edited by a_game at 2013-04-01 17:36:08
  • DeadBob said:

Loved the first book, second book was a chore, and I dropped the third book about halfway through it. My attention span has a hard time keeping up with all the different characters/storylines so it just wasn't very fulfilling for me. I've enjoyed the first 2 seasons of the show though.

The third book is one of the most incredible things I have ever read.
  • I find all of these books to be incredible. Martin is a fucking wordsmith. I just hope that A, he lives long enough to finish, he has the look of an unhealthy man, and B, that he can actually tie this monstrosity up in a relatively neat bow. If he pulls both of these off he's a certified legend and master.

I just want some fucking fruit ninja to edit 4 and 5 together in chronological order and make one fat ass book out of it. I'd buy it.
    Formerly @WeepingMonk

• SaneMAN said:

The third book is one of the most incredible things I have ever read.

That's what most of my friends that have read it say, maybe I'll try and get back into it again sometime in the future. I'm a pretty fickle reader, if a book doesn't grab me in 100ish pages then I loose interest easily. I'm surprised I made it as far through the books as I did.
    Post edited by DeadBob at 2013-04-02 13:40:55
  • The third book's amazing. I almost dropped A Feast for Crows until I put myself into the mindset that it's simply the first half of a bigger novel (A Dance with Dragons being the second half).
  • My lady friend and I made an all vocal rendition of the GoT theme song last week.

http://stereogum.com/1300461/hear-marissa-nadlers-cover-of-the/mp3s/
    Enjoys camaraderie, fellowship, and bringing it. https://twitter.com/JahHills
  • a_game said:

DrStrib said:

don't feel sad

I started my day by playing this on guitar for a good month or two.

As far as S301 went, loved it, but I thought it had too much of a catch-up/where are they now feeling to to the episode.

Just looking at the names of the episodes for this season, for anyone who hasn't read the books, by about episode 8 or 9... oh dear...

• Stewed said:

a_game said:

DrStrib said:

don't feel sad

I started my day by playing this on guitar for a good month or two.

As far as S301 went, loved it, but I thought it had too much of a catch-up/where are they now feeling to to the episode.

Just looking at the names of the episodes for this season, for anyone who hasn't read the books, by about episode 8 or 9... oh dear...

They should have aired that episode as a pre-season episode and then got down to kicking off season 3 it with a real one. But yeah, this season is going to kick some ass around then.
  • I got the same feeling about it having a catch up feel to it. I can't wait to see what they do this season. I'm just about to finish the second book so i'm going to put the 3rd on hold until this season is over. I heard they are doing book 3 as two seasons?
  • MK667 said:

I got the same feeling about it having a catch up feel to it. I can't wait to see what they do this season. I'm just about to finish the second book so i'm going to put the 3rd on hold until this season is over. I heard they are doing book 3 as two seasons?

That wouldnt suprise me. I am 700 pages into the 3rd book and halfway through it something really crazy, terrible and unexpected happens that almost made me stop reading. I could see this season ending there. It is going to shock people man.
    Post edited by a_game at 2013-04-03 12:30:21
  • I haven't watched s0301 yet, I may wait until the next episode is out so I can watch them back to back.
  • a_game said:

MK667 said:

I got the same feeling about it having a catch up feel to it. I can't wait to see what they do this season. I'm just about to finish the second book so i'm going to put the 3rd on hold until this season is over. I heard they are doing book 3 as two seasons?

That wouldnt suprise me. I am 700 pages into the 3rd book and halfway through it something really crazy, terrible and unexpected happens that almost made me stop reading. I could see this season ending there. It is going to shock people man.

MK, You should finish reading the 3rd book before watching the season (imo). So much happens that yeah, they're splitting it into two seasons. I already spotted a few things that didn't go down the same way in the books, so it'll be interesting to see how they tie Quybern (sp?), the lone survivor that Kat and Rob found at Harrenhall, back in with the Bloody Mummers/Jamie

@a_game, i know exactly what you're talking about. I had a little bit of non-spoiler forewarning from a friend, and I read the last page of that chapter like 5 times. The way it was all worded I knew what seemed to happen might not have been what actually happened.

Post edited by Stewed at 2013-04-03 14:43:09
  • MK667 said:

I would absolutely start reading it now. You will have the luxury of reading it and seeing it soon after. I am jealous of people that haven't read book three yet.
  • SaneMAN said:

MK667 said:

I would absolutely start reading it now. You will have the luxury of reading it and seeing it soon after. I am jealous of people that haven't read book three yet.

Probably the only time i'd say i wish i had amnesia so i could read the whole series again with that freshness. W of W 2014 eek! I love the character and story theories out there too. Pretty crazy.
    Feel the temple burning.
  • Stewed said:

MK, You should finish reading the 3rd book before watching the season (imo). So much happens that yeah, they're splitting it into two seasons. I already spotted a few things that didn't go down the same way in the books, so it'll be interesting to see how they tie Quybern (sp?), the lone survivor that Kat and Rob found at Harrenhall, back in with the Bloody Mummers/Jamie

ALRIGHT I'LL DO IT!! I finished book 2 and was silently taking bets with myself on how long i could hold off before starting book 3. It's on!

@Stewed I notice the first season of the show was pretty true to the first book, season 2 to book 2 though i'm definitely noticing differences now.

• Yeah, I watched the first season of the show before I even knew the books existed. After reading book 1, I almost felt like I could have just started my reading with book 2, but I'm glad I didn't. The show touches on all the major happenings within the realm, but there's a lot of finer detail and character development that you can only the books. They could have made just the Battle of King's Landing into a 4-hour movie

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!