The Broken Record, Shit Job Blues
  • Family members I need some advice, the last 4 years of my life have been rough and playing like a broken record. I would like to share every detail but for times sake I will sum it up. My main issue is that I am working dead end jobs, anything to pay the bills until Im done with school. Retail stores, group homes, grocery stores, I mean I have had 8+ jobs the last four years. Its the same story...either the place that Im working lays off and I collect, or the job sucks so bad and I just quit, and honestly its doing a number on me psychologically. Its like a failure plague, Im now certain this is going to be the future for the rest my life as if the needle is stuck on this broken record of layoff and quitting jobs. Anytime I start anything new a feeling of doom washes over me as I know its isnt going to work out.

Its now infecting my studies, Roughly 4 years ago I started college at age 24, my life was going nowhere as it is now, I was even involved in petty crime and college really seemed like a way out. Graduation is now closing in on me next year and I ask myself if I learned anything? Sure but not much. Im not set up with a job and just dont feel like I have enough to enter my chosen field which is why I went to college! I have little faith in a job market where college graduates are working for minimum wage and the aforementioned layoffs. I read great posts here in which people leave the jobs they hate, and I feel like that will be me in 3 years, but with no family support system where will I go? Maybe someone can relate or have some advice...

Thank you all so much.
    Post edited by Dizzeldel at 2012-07-18 14:09:11
    "Michael Jordan plays ball, Charles Manson kills people, I talk."
  • Work in the trades. Hit up a union hall, look into what 3/6 month classes/programs/etc. can make you valuable to them, become an apprentice and climb the ladder. Once you get experience you can move and get a job anywhere.

Look into electrical/hvac/plumbing/glass and glazing (Curtainwall)/framing and drywall/painting/millwork/concrete/acoustic ceiling tile/etc., etc.

If you're competent and work hard you'll make good money.

But yeah, there's a thread for this.
    Post edited by Gubermensch at 2012-07-18 14:56:01
  • aimeaime
    Hrair
    It sounds like you're bettering yourself, be gentle and try not to worry about the future. Stress & negative thoughts are damaging to yourself, your future, and everything, so do what you can to relax.

I know that you've got a lot on your plate, but if you could find a part time internship/ apprenticeship, it'll really help you get a job set up once you graduate. I know that it's easier to get internships when you're still a student so better sooner than later.
    you are doing a great job
  • Working for other people, and doing things you haven't developed a deep love/meaning of SUCKS!! IT SUCKS THE BIG ONE!!!
    fickbowt: "Wearing yesterday's pants - TOMORROW!"
  • aime said:

It sounds like you're bettering yourself, be gentle and try not to worry about the future. Stress & negative thoughts are damaging to yourself, your future, and everything, so do what you can to relax.

I know that you've got a lot on your plate, but if you could find a part time internship/ apprenticeship, it'll really help you get a job set up once you graduate. I know that it's easier to get internships when you're still a student so better sooner than later.

Thx for the encouraging words aime, they mean alot. I sat for a while before I finally wrote this thread wondering if I should and what response if any I would get. At times I feel as if I am bettering myself if school but when I look inward I wonder if it was just an escape of dealing with the world? I guess what it comes down to is I cant work these crappy jobs all my life, and college hasnt work as advertised so I feel doomed. I read these stories about college graduates with work experience working at a walmart and I feel like I wouldnt even have the courage to do that. I would be to depressed and just do nothing...its like dysthymia or something. Family snap me out of this!
    Post edited by Dizzeldel at 2012-07-19 00:54:19
  • Find a grift in the system.

Some way to work without working. Or at least work less for the same amount of pay.
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • I wouldn't waste time reading propaganda about the economy if I were you. Just because its a reality for some doesn't mean it has to YOUR reality. Note that when never hear about little Jimmy going to college and then working into his dream career or opening his own business in the news. Its just as typical but its not newsworthy, so don't clutter your mind with negative bias.

Do you have any experience in your field outside of school? Internships are number one when trying to get in the door, and has helped me numerous times. I'm glad I hustled so hard in the beginning of my college though it did burn me out for a bit.

Also aside from building a strong resume, how you write/organize it is also a big deal. There's a certain way to market yourself for each and every position, avoid sending out your "form resume". Take an inventory of ALL your experience/skills/strengths and custom tailor your resume/cover letter for EACH position. Looking for new jobs is also a numbers game, cast the net wide and there's no substitute for meeting and talking to employers in person. I believe the statistic is that 70% of job openings are filled by referral (donno if thats totally accurate) but getting your face out there has got to be preferential to a faceless sheet of paper.

Sorry if you know this stuff already but these tips helped me become more effective in finding work. Hope it works out.
  • The only thing worth doing is that which I can do by will alone... everything else is just passing time. (*)
  • So how do you afford to eat while working an internship, even if you can get one? Dumpster Diving takes an investment in time. I think it's worth thinking about. Internships (especially unpaid ones, though most are poorly paid) really benefit the wealthy and business owners most.
    "the idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving" - Boat Car Guy
  • Find a grift in the system.

Some way to work without working. Or at least work less for the same amount of pay.

Yes

Fuck the bullshit. Find a way out, whatever it is

• Maybe you should try an outdoor job?? At least for the time being?? Sunshine and sweat is what is lacking from a lot of people's lives.
    Much love and luck to you <3
  • rynryn
    Hrair
    learn to enjoy being a wage slave, and grow a hunch on your back.
  • wow this stanhope is the best as far as hicksian comedy/philosophy - tell it like it is and make em laugh.

fuckin a. why am i trying to work harder? all my bills get paid. all i have to do is stop eating out an average of 2.8 meals a day and ill be rich and not die from heart disease in 23 years.

to your point:
    i would recommend some sort of trade job just for a bit to see how you like it. working for real cheap to help someone is enjoyable as you keep each other company. you get to bullshit with one person who hopefully is interesting and funny while learning stuff that will help you fix your house later in life or at lease spot problems and be able to find good contractors to do it for you.

and sweating is good for the soul
  • duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah
    The first thing is to figure out what you want and to set some reasonable quantifiable goals that will move you in that direction. The second step is to discipline yourself and start working towards those goals.

If you want some real help you can do this program:

http://www.100daychallenge.com/

It's so amazingly cheese ball that I am a bit embarrassed to post about it, but if you follow what uber-freak Blair freak has to say your life will definitely get popping. There's a big fat baby floating in the bathwater that is the 100 day challenge you just have to grind through the annoying/embarrassing aspects of the thing.

And of course try meditating each day or doing some form of ritual that focuses you on your goals.

Keep us posted!

• Shit Dizzeldel, I just smoked some weed, so I'm high, and your story is depressingly familiar. I have a job, but it's not a very stable one. Feeling that at anytime I could be out on the job market, is kind of depressing when you're not in a field of work that you truly enjoy. Good luck with your journey. For some of us it is a bit rocky at times, but it tends to smooth out occasionally during the ride.
  • I say this in thread after thread, the railroad! If you live anywhere near one, look into it. Unionized, retirement and pays better then most white collar jobs. (70-100k /yr depending) That's good $$$ outside of Nyc. However, you will be selling your soul to the devil and are in a last of its kind, type of job. (Conductor, Dispatcher, mechanist, laborer. STAY AWAY from maintenance of way or signal maintainer, unless you have no life and don't mind traveling away from home for months or years.)

(Note!!! No weed smoking on the RR. However psychedelics are not tested for.)

(Double note! We have plenty of conductors with college degrees, this was the best paying job they could find. If you have a degree and hate yourself, you could also get into entry level management, such as a Trainmaster. [Crazy old school name, right?] BNSF.com up.com google whatever csx or norfolk southern websites are, plus amtrak and the hundreds of other local railroads.)
    Post edited by Hamsterfist at 2012-07-26 01:45:35
    photo lao-tzu-field1copysmall.jpg
  • I say this in thread after thread, the railroad! If you live anywhere near one, look into it. Unionized, retirement and pays better then most white collar jobs. (70-100k /yr depending) That's good $$$ outside of Nyc. However, you will be selling your soul to the devil and are in a last of its kind, type of job. (Conductor, Dispatcher, mechanist, laborer. STAY AWAY from maintenance of way or signal maintainer, unless you have no life and don't mind traveling away from home for months or years.)

(Note!!! No weed smoking on the RR. However psychedelics are not tested for.)

(Double note! We have plenty of conductors with college degrees, this was the best paying job they could find. If you have a degree and hate yourself, you could also get into entry level management, such as a Trainmaster. [Crazy old school name, right?] BNSF.com up.com google whatever csx or norfolk southern websites are, plus amtrak and the hundreds of other local railroads.)

How are you selling your soul to the devil and what makes some jobs worse then other, just from a curiosity stand point. Sounds like you have some good stories.
  • Because it all becomes about the money. You put up with a lot of hostility from management and you're doing it all for the benies. You spend your time watching the clock and counting down til retirement, 30 years of service and/or over the age of 60.

There isn't any satisfaction within the job, outside of the paycheck and they will demand your time. Midnights, holidays, weekends. Yet, the job itself is easy, outside of the mental fatigue involved.
    photo lao-tzu-field1copysmall.jpg
  • Know something through and through. I chose electrician. Always someone needing wires pulled somewhere. Then I find a way to laugh my ass off.
    Post edited by JosephLo at 2012-07-26 20:36:03
  • you work away from home i assume?
    Post edited by Dizzeldel at 2012-07-27 23:45:11
  • Dizzeldel said:

Family members I need some advice, the last 4 years of my life have been rough and playing like a broken record. I would like to share every detail but for times sake I will sum it up. My main issue is that I am working dead end jobs, anything to pay the bills until Im done with school. Retail stores, group homes, grocery stores, I mean I have had 8+ jobs the last four years. Its the same story...either the place that Im working lays off and I collect, or the job sucks so bad and I just quit, and honestly its doing a number on me psychologically. Its like a failure plague, Im now certain this is going to be the future for the rest my life as if the needle is stuck on this broken record of layoff and quitting jobs. Anytime I start anything new a feeling of doom washes over me as I know its isnt going to work out.

Its now infecting my studies, Roughly 4 years ago I started college at age 24, my life was going nowhere as it is now, I was even involved in petty crime and college really seemed like a way out. Graduation is now closing in on me next year and I ask myself if I learned anything? Sure but not much. Im not set up with a job and just dont feel like I have enough to enter my chosen field which is why I went to college! I have little faith in a job market where college graduates are working for minimum wage and the aforementioned layoffs. I read great posts here in which people leave the jobs they hate, and I feel like that will be me in 3 years, but with no family support system where will I go? Maybe someone can relate or have some advice...

Thank you all so much.

If you are working towards a goal, then these jobs are not dead ends, they are your means to a good end.

college isn't exactly about learning all the shit you expect to learn in class, it's about that paper you get at the end, and the accomplishment of finishing something that was difficult. when you look for a job, your employers aren't going to look at your transcript and expect you to know all the shit you supposedly learned, they want to know that you have a degree and its in the field that you are trying to get employed in.

stay up man. finishing school is so important because if you don't do it, you'll feel that defeat your whole life. don't sweat finding a job yet, focus on finishing school. chances are you won't even get a job in your field right away. that's not a bad thing. what's important is that you stick up for yourself in this world and do the shit that you want to do, find a way to be the man you know you are.
    "Problems that remain persistently insoluble should always be suspected as questions asked in the wrong way.”
    ― Alan Watts
  • I went through the same exact thing you are. I dropped out of high school, worked a few shitty jobs but then I went back to school at 23. I'm going to graduate next week. My plan is to take whatever job I can even if it is not in my field just so I can get out of the rut of doing menial tasks every night. After about 6 months I'll pass my resume around to jobs that really interest me, but I have to get out of the dead-end job rut ASAP. I would suggest to look for jobs even if it's not in your field for the time being. Don't be afraid to look for work out of state. Try and save money and keep your possessions low because material goods and debt will act as anchors. Go for experiences instead. Meet positive people that may be able to help you out and give you encouragement. Make sure you finish school even though it may feel like a waste of time you don't want to have to pay back all that debt without a degree. Best of luck my friend.
  • Mental Health centers are always looking for functional support workers. The experience is excellent, and there is a high turnover rate, so the jobs aren't too hard to get. Anything in Social Services will give you people skills and confidence.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!