"Communion on the Moon: The Religious Experience in Space"
  • Decent article from The Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/07/communion-on-the-moon-the-religious-experience-in-space/259826/

There is perhaps nothing more human than the curiosity that compels exploration. But paired with that curiosity is a search for meaning -- we don't want to know just what is out there, we want to turn it into something with a story, something with sense. We turn to the gods for that meaning, and we turn to them for our safety as we go. Same as it's always been, same as it ever was. As President Kennedy concluded his speech on our mission to the moon at Rice University in 1962, "Space is there and we're going to climb it, and the moon and planets are there and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked. Now, I've got some major tail to fall into. Er-ahhh, my back hurts."

Evolved as One. Totale Gedanken├╝bertragung, dude. "REVOLTOFTHEAPES."
  • God seems to fuck with astronauts from time to time, I don't think he appreciates our encroachment.
    "Up above aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home of all these weird creatures that lock up their spirits, drill holes in themselves, and live for their secrets. They're all uptight" -Radiohead

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!