DTFH Forum Music Collaboration thread
  • I was wondering if anyone out there would be interested in doing some internet collaborations with regards to music. I have done a few and they always end up altering my thought processes about music. Also it can be fun for someone to take something that you percieve as a stagnant loop/riff and put a fresh spin on it. I play most any types of music (acoustic/punk/reggae/electronic).
    My thought would be to post a copy of whatever it is you want to share, make it available for download, and one of the peeps on the message board can download it to record their own track (whether it be drums or bass or guitar or some electro box of acoustic love) over it and then share it with the rest of the board.
    I realize some people are pretty controlling of their art, so this may not intrigue some, I just enjoy the act of creating music.

You don't have to really do the whole "Im in" thing if you don't want to. Just use whatever loops or tracks I post if you are interested.

Just make sure you upload your version to the board in some fashion (soundcloud is pretty easy)
    I will post a few tracks that I would like to share.
    DTFH forum collaboration by Registron

Do with them what you wish
    Post edited by DrStrib at 2012-04-20 23:34:07
  • This is an awesome idea. I would love to participate. It will take me some time to get things recorded, but I will start working on it. I would love to hear what people have to add to my songs.
  • M0XIE said:

This is an awesome idea. I would love to participate. It will take me some time to get things recorded, but I will start working on it. I would love to hear what people have to add to my songs.

yeah. The internet is powerful, we might as well use it to its potential. Or atleast attempt to that is.

• Cool idea! I should do something for this thread
    Post edited by dashamas at 2012-03-03 17:11:53
    If you don't like Hank Williams, honey, you can kiss my ass.
    Post edited by dashamas at 2012-03-03 17:11:38
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-03-07 18:24:32
  • yeah that one, this is what happens when you are unemployed and you wakey bakey

http://soundcloud.com/dashamas
  • found it. sounds sweet. I was just jamming on my djembe this morning.
    Recorded some Guitar. The last bit was just some experimental shit.
    dashamas/tombutler by Registron
    The drums sound really really good. I like the layering effect they have.
    edit:
    just edited a funky note that was off beat. Reposted
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-03-01 16:46:25
  • well, i was gonna put some ceramic bongos to the reggae riff, but the bottom of it just broke so now they won't stand up. i'll come back later with something else
  • I really like where this is going. I am a drummer, but I don't have a kit at the moment. I do have some guitars and some midi programming or synth to contribute.
  • Post edited by dashamas at 2012-03-03 17:10:29
  • Dashamas/Tombutler 2 by Registron

This one came out better in my opinion.

I only used a section of your song. about half of the drumming track.

Thanks so much for contributing.

Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-03-07 14:31:58
  • Nice work. :)
  • Damn Tom, that made my dick hard. no homo.
  • I love what I'm hearing. This thread has so much potential.....
  • Just listened, really pretty track. Brought to mind an easy stroll in the woods on a summer day. Keep up the good work, this is a really cool thread.
    www.williamhrdina.com -- Simple Journeys to Odd Destinations
    "All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense." Robert Anton Wilson
  • I just picked up an LPD8, so as I learn how to use it, (Targeting pads to sounds for starters, I can't figure out how to make Logic "learn" the controller quite yet) I may upload a couple of drum patterns/etc, I'd love for you guys to add your flavour to it. I hope we can submit some collaborations to the Family Cast.
    Post edited by M0XIE at 2012-03-15 22:02:40
  • I wait with anticipation
  • I'm curious about your guitar set up, are using a USB interface of some sort? I have a big analog mixer with line, XLR or stereo outs, but running that directly into my soundcard sounds like shit. I have been looking for a cheap way to convert the output to USB. The newer version of my mixer has a built-in USB out, but that would be a major piece of my hardware to make redundant. Haha. I've been looking at the Alesis IO2 Express.
    Post edited by M0XIE at 2012-03-15 22:58:44
  • I'll have something up here in a week or so.
    Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • M0XIE said:

I'm curious about your guitar set up, are using a USB interface of some sort? I have a big analog mixer with line, XLR or stereo outs, but running that directly into my soundcard sounds like shit. I have been looking for a cheap way to convert the output to USB. The newer version of my mixer has a built-in USB out, but that would be a major piece of my hardware to make redundant. Haha. I've been looking at the Alesis IO2 Express.

I use an alesis firewire 12 track mixer.

I bought a g5 apple tower off craigslist for 600 bucks a few years ago
    I bought this vox
    I have a Gibson les paul
    I use garageband for all recording and effects needs.

Firewire has much less latency (delay from you making the sound to the disk writing the sound.) than usb from what I have found.

The mixer was 599 when I bought it, like I said the comp was 600.

Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-03-15 23:31:20
  • If you want a really awesome cheap guitar and mic input for a PC, ebay delta 66. Got one of these for $60 bucks(normally like $400 or so), get one with the Omni I/O mixer included and you have an amazing ASIO input PCI card with a mixer that achieves 2ms latency on my system.

I'll participate in this thread when I get more time. I mostly play guitar. I play guitar well, everything else I kinda suck at.
    "Up above aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home of all these weird creatures that lock up their spirits, drill holes in themselves, and live for their secrets. They're all uptight" -Radiohead
  • Haha, I just realized what SoundCloud was. Now I have to write some songs.

TERRIBLE.
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • just stumbled upon this thread and I'm glad I did.. I'm gonna get some stuff together and post it sometime this week.

@tombutler @dashamas great songs nice work!
    Post edited by zachs at 2012-03-19 16:49:42
  • I want in on this.
    Check out my ebook Nip The Bud - The Fastest Way to Quit Weed guaranteed. Link : http://bit.ly/NipTheBud ( Get it though Duncans Amazon Portal to help out the podcast )
  • Is there a guitar amp that has an integrated USB interface??
  • This is a rough, beat craft demo of a song I was messing around with. It has no vocals...

rough demo 01

Also, can someone explain to me how to embed stuff onto here. I've tried with sound cloud and youtube and both times the embed codes haven't worked....
    A
    Post edited by RemainUntamed at 2012-03-21 08:39:34
  • yeah. You have to make sure to click the box that makes it not use the html 5 embed code

I think its like "use old embed code"

if it has a "<object" thing in the front it will work, it if has a "<frame src" thing then it wont. at least on this board.
  • Post edited by dashamas at 2012-03-22 15:55:37
  • cool song @dashamas.. is that from the russian word for help yourself? (I don't know Russian personally but my pal google does)
  • Here it is with a bass track and xylophone (vibes on a clavinova) and a clip from andy milonakis added.
    Dashamas tbutler w milonakis by Registron
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-03-22 19:59:08
  • Thanks again Dashamas for participating,

helps me get creativity a flowing.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-03-22 20:40:59
  • I'm an audio engineering student, I run my own scoring and sound design service at this site. If anyone ever needs anything to do with audio engineering then hit me up (my email address is on my site), I'm more than willing to help you dudes. I've had more than a fair share of experience with recording, mixing and live sound.

Also play a lot of instruments, been involved in a few projects. This is some stuff I made over the Christmas holidays, I'm not entirely sure how I'd describe it but it was the product of me jamming with a guitar and a synthesizer at the same time on my own.

">http://soundcloud.com/cheerchants/blue-spices

">http://soundcloud.com/cheerchants/so-it-goes

">http://soundcloud.com/cheerchants/santabalism
  • just did this collab with black owl orchestra
    you can visit his soundcloud page here: http://soundcloud.com/ldshaw/black-owl-orchestra-bones

Dtfhcollabblackowl by Registron
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-04 20:12:45
  • Damn Tom, that's a really good song.
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • @Doctor_Bob

Thanks, but the real kudos goes to @LDShaw for writing it and putting it out there and allowing freaks like me to record thier sounds over it.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-04 17:49:25

• http://snd.sc/HVKVor

Hi,
    Well, here's something I recorded with Mixcraft and a "snowball". Maybe you'll find it interesting. I really like what I've been hearing on here!
    Post edited by WalldoTheWinner at 2012-04-04 21:37:30
  • If you don't like Hank Williams, honey, you can kiss my ass.
  • If you don't like Hank Williams, honey, you can kiss my ass.
  • Workin on these two today, they sound great
  • Pretty damn good stuff, popes. I'd love to contribute when i get a microphone/some talent.
    こたえは いつも 私のむねに。
  • Dashamasgoodnighmulecollab by Registron

I dubbed a drum track on to this one. tried to keep it simple

I love this song btw
  • HI guys, I was wondering if someone could add some steel guitar to this track. Thanks, to Tom again, you're the man

TomButler said:

Dashamasgoodnighmulecollab by Registron

I love this song btw

• Fast with bass by Registron

Here are a few that I made today, one is faster, one is slower.

remix and add what you wish if you wish!
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-06-18 11:04:27
  • I could make you guys some WAVs of drum patterns/loops if you guys want something different to jam with. Just let me know the BPM your feel most comfortable playing at.
  • BTW everything on the Registron Soundcloud account is pretty chill and fun, keep it up everyone!
  • dashamas said:

HI guys, I was wondering if someone could add some steel guitar to this track. Thanks, to Tom again, you're the man

TomButler said:

Dashamasgoodnighmulecollab by Registron

I love this song btw

I'll add some licks to that when I get home today.. great work everyone keep it up! I need to be more diligent and post stuff to this tread cuz it is awesome.

• Drumtrackdtfhcollab by Registron

did a little 1:30 drum track if anyone is interested
  • hey @tombutler @dashamas @dailyroutine, I've been trying to get some audio stuff recorded, and I'm super critical of the sound itself, it just doesn't sound too good (i'm not trained in audio engineered).

Do you guys have any starting tips, or a book/website that is a good starting point for audio engineering?
  • I feel you, I would recommend taking a look at your local library for some sound engineering or recording related material. Unlike computers alot of the best stuff regarding sound and sound engineering, at least for the basic stuff was done in the mid seventy's and eighties.

Alot of the things that make recordings sound good are things like: Mic placement, Number of mics on one insturment, stuff like that.

I would recommend just getting a little 4 to 6 track analog beringher mixer with at least some simple eqing ability. That way you have an extra layer of eq in that you can eq the mic before it gets recorded.

I also will almost always record for a minute or two and then stop to listen if it sounds ok. There is nothing worse than getting all the way throught that one song that you havent yet gotten through and realize that you didnt eq the mic prior to recording a keeper take.

I started using cubase on a pc with a soundcard that had a mic input.

Then I bought a mac mini and a small fourtrack behringer mixer so that I could have garage band

and then I bought my g5 tower and the 12 track firewire.

In all honesty though, I learned by failing. So I have a feeling that if you just keep on recording you can figure out all the bugs in your system.

What are you using currently to record?
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-04-27 15:53:54

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!