Therapist Gender Poll
  • Which have you found more effective: a therapist of the same sex or of the opposite sex?
  • I don't need therapy. I DON'T NEED THERAPY! Get off my case, breh.
  • opposite
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • I'd prefer the opposite.
  • song
    Hrair
    I have both. My individual therapist is a dude and the therapist that leads my trauma survivor group is a lady.

I think it helps me to have the opposite gender as my individual therapist because it's good practice for me to learn to trust and open up to a man and share deeply personal things. I haven't had very good success at being able to navigate a one on one relationship with a woman therapist because I tend to take on a masculine energy when put in that situation.

On the other hand, the group therapist knows what it's like to be a girl - and that's really helpful too.

I think what's more effective depends on the person and what they're working on in therapy.
  • I've had both, they all seemed to just turn into friendships. I don't think I can be theraped.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-07-17 03:54:15
    fickbowt: "Wearing yesterday's pants - TOMORROW!"
  • I've had two therapists in my life. One of them was a man and one of them was a woman. I don't think it had anything to do with their respective genders but I got more out of the female therapist.

It was a bit strange though because my therapist was like "work hot". You know like the kind of woman that you normally wouldn't take a second look at but eventually you start to think they are hot. So, I don't think I held back but I think I typically act different around women than men, so IDK.
  • If were to be raped, god forbid, I'd prefer therapist to be of the opposite sex.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!