Buffets
  • I don't use the word hate very often but I hate BUFFETS. This last podcast resonated with me a lot. The thing that bothers me the most is how people hover and judge the food. Many don't care if they put the wrong spoon in a totally different dish. People working the carving stations usually would rather slit your throat than to carve you some roast beef. The worst of all buffets are ones that offer king crab legs. The mounds of heaping shells and the constant need for more drawn butter drives me to insanity. I guess I feel like buffets are devoid of love. I hardly ever eat any food on a buffet, or if I do- I go for the salad or steamed veg- the bastard stepchildren of all buffets. What do you eat on buffets?
  • I enjoy fast shitty food. It's cheap and it tastes good. I also despise buffets. I don't think I've been to one in over 10 years. They seem to me to be relatively expensive. You can go to a nicer restaurant and order off a menu for the same amount of money.
    I blow my load over the status quo.
  • So true. I usually never eat enough to justify buffet prices. Also heatlamps and sterno are the devil nowhere close to alchemical precipitation.
  • I can't stand buffets like Old Country Buffet, Sizzler, etc.

However, there are a couple smaller buffets around where I live that are very good. I don't eat them often, but I like to use them as a means to try a few different things from a genre of food I am not completely familiar. I ate at a Trinidian/Indian lunch buffet a few weeks ago and it was fantastic.

But in general, the really mass produced foods with little flavor like OCB and Sizzler. . . I can't eat them.
  • EW
    Hrair
    Every year I (we) attend a private buffet for thanksgiving.

If you think your thanksgiving dinner couldn't be done better, the buffet style will blow your damn mind. Nobody's bitching about turkey and place settings, nobody's stressed out, it's so beautiful. And I'll eat all the devilled eggs I want and the house is spotless.
  • There is this buffet near me that you make your egg and meat and vege soup; then give it to the chef and he grills that thing to perfection while you go pick out some nice fruit and bread. These other guys have the same idea but for stir frys. You pick out your stuff and the cooks who don't speak english light that mother fucker on fire with flames like three feet high and sear it just right. Soooo goood.
  • There is this buffet near me that you make your egg and meat and vege soup; then give it to the chef and he grills that thing to perfection while you go pick out some nice fruit and bread. These other guys have the same idea but for stir frys. You pick out your stuff and the cooks who don't speak english light that mother fucker on fire with flames like three feet high and sear it just right. Soooo goood.

That sounds damned good.

I love me some good Himalayan/Indian buffet. But for the most part, buffets are pretty awful and if you see a heating lamp at any point, run.
    Play my weird art game at http://www.dexterlohnes.com
  • Oh, and buffets on cruises have to be mentioned. Nothing can make you loose your appetite faster than exposed rolls of 86 year old fat, dirty flip flops, and never ending bowls of spaghetti.
  • pinkfrost said:

Oh, and buffets on cruises have to be mentioned. Nothing can make you loose your appetite faster than exposed rolls of 86 year old fat, dirty flip flops, and never ending bowls of spaghetti.

At least they lived a full life....
  • Jimmy Buffet
  • Last time I was at a buffet was maybe 5 years ago. Chinese buffet. Get a box, heap it up with as much as you want, pay by weight. I heard them killing a chicken in the kitchen once, some feathers puffed out into the dining room. I can't believe I ate their "crab" puffs.

If I get cancer, it was the chinese buffet.
    I measured my waistline in planck lengths and now I feel awful.
    photo tmp_824317984_zps500a3873.jpeg
    Speak the mega cool, get funky as a goal.
  • Jimmy Buffet

no
  • I know, that was a poor joke but then again, you talk of cancer, your waaaayyyy too young for this shit.
  • @killahdubz Thats just my knee-jerk reaction to the words "jimmy buffet", NO. :)

Since when do only old people get cancer? Say whaaaat?

Please oh please fix the grammar in your post, my edit-button trigger-finger is so itchy.
  • No offense to old people....If buffets are your thing, live the dream.
  • I eat at the Whole Foods hot food bar a few times a week...it is essentially a buffet
  • Jimmy Buffet Sucks moose balls
  • I agree jimmy buffet does nothing for me. I don't wear sun visors, that's probably the cause.
  • The zombie apocalypse will begin at a buffet. True fact.
    photo lao-tzu-field1copysmall.jpg
  • jimmy buffet is the fashion inspiration for cashiers at Trader Joe's
    Am I Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.
  • nordicpheasantnordicpheasant
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me., Banned
    I guess don't go to buffets then.
    celticrebel.wordpress.com
    http://freedompup.com/
  • I very much try avoid them, agreed.
    Don't try just do it. This thread is fucking retarded,
  • I have noticed that often when a thread is accused of being fucking retarded - it will instantly break out into high class philosophy and creative narrative journeys that teach about esoteric principles.

fickbowt: "Wearing yesterday's pants - TOMORROW!"
  • @nordicpheasant, avoid my threads, don't try.
    @pinkfrost tu sheh i apologize, i just saw your duncan t shirt photo, i love u.
    Post edited by nordicpheasant at 2012-07-16 13:50:48
  • Hahaha! Thanks @nordicpheasant . You are among friends.
  • Yep, I totally hate buffets too. Realized it after going to one at the beach. It costs me $23 and I didn't even want to go in the first place...only went because friends wanted to. You pay a shit ton of money to go to a buffet and then in order to make you feel like you spent your money well, you stuff your face way more than usual. In my case, that usually means that I feel like shit for several hours afterwards. They are definitely not something I look out for anymore
    "We might be overlooking one of the biggest tools we've ever had for evolving and developing our mind...we might have a symbiotic relationship on this Earth with certain plants that we've made illegal. We might need them." -Rogan
    Never Stop Learning.
  • these are the "buffets" I like

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!