Mantras/chants for addiction
  • sorry if this has been threaded before,

I've been struggling the past few years with a number of low-level vices, nothing immediately life-threatening but occasionally I'm overcome with waves of nihilism, calling me to drink, smoke and fap myself into oblivion. All perfectly good pastimes, but I just hate that feeling of need.

I've heard of people using chanting to banish those unwanted temptations, have any of you cats had any success with specific mantras?
  • TaraTara
    Hrair
    I have never come across any chants for expelling addiction(s), although I once had a book that had the best pieces of olde writings concerning the subject: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Pagan-Prayer-Ceisiwr-Serith/dp/1578632552

It's a great little green thing to have on hand; mind you there are only three entries about addiction, but I have searched far and wide for something of substance and this is the best I have read.
    Leave the novelist in his daydream tomb.
    Leave the scientist in her rubric's cube.
    Ḻėŧ ȶƕȩ ƫṟṳḙ ɠęȵïṳş ỉŋ ʈḩẹ ṗḁḋḍëɗ ṟōơṃ ṙẹṁąịɲ.
  • sorry if this has been threaded before,

I've been struggling the past few years with a number of low-level vices, nothing immediately life-threatening but occasionally I'm overcome with waves of nihilism, calling me to drink, smoke and fap myself into oblivion. All perfectly good pastimes, but I just hate that feeling of need.

I've heard of people using chanting to banish those unwanted temptations, have any of you cats had any success with specific mantras?

You've just summed up exactly how I've felt for the last few years. Four days ago I decided to do something about it and am now not smoking, drinking, and only faping once a day. Four days in and it feels pretty great. Be strong, brother. Others are fighting the same battle, right along side you. Maybe that thought will help.

Regarding the chants, what they are, in my opinion, are devices that people use to bring them into the moment, and help them focus on the task at hand. If I'm right about this, which obviously I think I am, then you don't need an ancient chant, make up your own. (-^_^-)

Cheers!
  • @silverpanther urrite.

I completely agree about mantras simply being devices, but I also think words may have a reality outside our subjective consciousness. What I'm saying is a proven ancient saying may have more potency and efficacy than some silly phrase I come up with, if only because I'm putting some mystical significance onto it.
  • TaraTara
    Hrair
    "...a proven ancient saying may have more potency…"

The book aforementioned is an anthology of ancient text. I have written down a few of the pagan prayers to certain gods and goddesses including the few that pertain to the subject at hand. If memory serves me they were used as bookmarks. I've got a pretty full library, not to mention my many journals but I shall do my best to search for the words that may be of help to you.
  • Found one in the depths of a dictionary; not my favorite of the ones I have used but high hopes that it helps you @maggotbrain

"Lift your snake-entwined staff, great healer, and send out healing knowledge. You know each drug and its effects, each technique and when it should be used, each symptom and what it means, each illness and how to treat it, each patient and what to do. May my hands be yours."
  • What I'm saying is a proven ancient saying may have more potency and efficacy than some silly phrase I come up with, if only because I'm putting some mystical significance onto it.

Master yourself, there's nothing special about any pattern of syllables that can leave the mouth.

• @orgone I see you claim that "any patterns of syllables" have nothing unique to them. What would you say then to the frequencies of words?

There is something special about every sound that is available to humanity. Chanting, leaves the mouth. Would you say that does not aid to "master yourself?" Coming from a great deal of experience, one needs try several surveil skills and chose which ones to use to beat any type of vice or addiction(s). You alone cannot save you because you are the one currently in the mess. This ancient pagan prayer/mantra is something to have hope in, and hope is a dangerous thing to loose. The words are positive, therefore the frequencies are as well. What does one have to loose when trying to better themselves? Victory does not come at the snap of a finger.
    Post edited by Tara at 2012-09-19 00:00:11
  • "Let go."

And sometimes that means letting go of fighting unpleasant sensations and just accepting them as best you can.
    Post edited by withMetta at 2012-09-18 23:58:14
    May all beings be free from harm.
  • That is a wonderful statement @withMetta I concur that is a very vital key to living. Just letting go, surrendering your ego and letting your soul control you. And if your soul needs a little help, call out for it. There are spirits waiting to guide you towards an existence of love and light.
  • Tara said:

@orgone I see you claim that "any patterns of syllables" have nothing unique to them. What would you say then to the frequencies of words?

There is something special about every sound that is available to humanity. Chanting, leaves the mouth. Would you say that does not aid to "master yourself?" Coming from a great deal of experience, one needs try several surveil skills and chose which ones to use to beat any type of vice or addiction(s). You alone cannot save you because you are the one currently in the mess. This ancient pagan prayer/mantra is something to have hope in, and hope is a dangerous thing to loose. The words are positive, therefore the frequencies are as well. What does one have to loose when trying to better themselves? Victory does not come at the snap of a finger.

Rhythms are important, tones can be too, but to be honest the vast majority of people I meet who call themselves "seekers" are tirelessly chasing after the perfection of some method that will lead them absolutely nowhere no matter how long they listen to the bald man in the long robes, absolutely nowhere.

As far as you not being able to save yourself "alone," I'm not sure what it would even mean for a person to be "alone." No one is developing or practicing in a vacuum. Given that, I would encourage any practitioner to center their practice around themselves and not the particular method or ideology. You simply cannot know in terms of a system if that system will do you any good, you have to measure that against yourself.

Hope is a dangerous thing to lose and false hope is a more dangerous thing to have. You have a lot to loose wasting your entire life on a method that may never pan out for you in any way. You can keep looking for experts and master methods but in the end it still come down to you and what works for you.

There is nothing in the methods, zero content at all. To the extent a song your are listening to resonates with you, it is telling you about you, not the song. When somebody sings "The Star-Spangled Banner" better than anyone you've ever heard, it's the singer, not the song.
  • thanks @Tara, that's beautiful, if a little tricky to remember! I really like the simplicity of 'Let Go', not sure why I couldn't come up with something that elegant myself. thanks to you too @withMetta

orgone said:

Master yourself, there's nothing special about any pattern of syllables that can leave the mouth.

you make a good point, but I need a baseline. You sound like someone who hasn't really struggled with addiction.
  • @maggotbrain

I revel in it. I even put sprinkles on donuts. :O

Addicts are people, things are things. I could be addicted to sex, poker, drugs, reading, anything - because I'm an addict. Sorry I'm not trying to 'fix' myself for you.

None of this has anything to do with the efficacy of method, but why stay on topic when you can start talking about people instead of their arguments?
  • note the word "struggled"

I acknowledge I'm asking for a method to 'trick' myself, but at least I'm aware of it :)
    Post edited by maggotbrain at 2012-09-19 20:49:57
  • A few things that have helped me...
    •sipping on bullion with hot sauce
    •pizza
    •taking a little nap
    •chewing gum
    •going deep into the neurology of addiction. Accepting the damage done to my brain. Grieving through the remembered trauma.
    •green tea
  • whenever there is temptation: "i can AND i don't have to"

there is no "but." that creates the conflict in your mind, and the addict within you will always win that argument.
    sunt lacrimae rerum
  • @maggotbrain

Without typing down the long speech I just thought to myself I have this to say instead. After reading and watching the last eleven posts (which after counting I find lovely because I have an 11:11 tattoo) I believe if you want to talk about this further, it would be better to spend your energy corresponding with only one individual. That way all details you wish to share will not be hindered by off topic discussions on the board in this instance. Take this as you will, I do hope you are a trusting person because when I say that I know an insane amount anything related to addiction I am not lying. It's not exactly something you can put on a résumé but if you could I would. If you ever have any questions, I've been through it all, feel free to ask me. And by no means am I trying to attack anyone else; I love shit like this. Expressions are amazing to share. My particular expression involving this is what I just stated…. and now I'm laughing because this was not the "speech" I thought before writing all this. I guess it just caused me to go with something completely new as I began making the words somewhat tangible.

Post script: If I counted wrong, oh well. It made me happy in the moment. I never really practice math anymore, the only way I know how to accurately deal with numbers fast is when I'm using numerology.
  • I used to close my eyes, relax, picture my addiction as a little black goblin thing jumping around and scratching at me. Then I take my weapon (I like hammers) and beat the thing to death. Really pound him into nothing. Usually works.
  • Ganesha comes to mind for me and he has a bunch of mantras. Here's one that i like

Copypasta

"Om Salutations and Prostrations to Lord Ganesha"

"This mantra invokes the Lord Ganesha to remove every impediment in your life and in your works. By constant meditation on this mantra, all obstacles and blocked energy in your physical and astral bodies are released.
    He brings writing and knowledge. But he is most often known as the "Breaker of Obstacles". This does not mean that if something blocks your way to success that appealing to Ganesh will result in your thundering through your opposition like some great juggernaut (a word derived from the name of a Hindu deity Jaganath). Rather, Ganesh breaks obstacles by working around them. He may not help you fix a relationship, but He might help you find a new one. He might not get you a raise at work, but you might get a job offer from another company for more money. Ganesh is a warrior, but is not into fighting for fighting's sake. Indeed, that is why he lost his head and it had to be replaced with the head of a elephant. Rather, He helps you find other ways of overcoming obstacles. The real obstacles He breaks are those which prevent you from recognizing alternative solutions."

The secret is: the law of action - if you actually do shit, stuff happens
  • I surrender, the more ideas pouring in the better. This is a recovery rune I wear:

Since it has a crystal inside I recommend cleansing it inside of a preferably clear crystal glass filled with Mediterranean sea salt under the new moon tonight, or the next full moon on November 13th.
  • Personally, I'd lay in bed, face down, eyes closed and create your own songs with a hum. Try to start really soft and find the notes that YOU vibe with and just keep going from there.

When I've done this it usually starts with a quiet hum of only a few notes(which ones-no idea)that feel soothing, as if I'm serenading myself to sleep, but the further I get into it the more notes I seem to start humming.

By the end, it sounds very ancient and has on one occasion brought about vague, beige images. I got the idea from McKenna, how he'd preach to sing what has never been sung, to dance what has never danced ect

If chants work for you great, I find that the only vocal tones that change my state are hums that come from ME rather than others.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!