Self Help Books That Have Self Helped You
  • - "No More Mr Nice Guy" - Dr Robert Glover. Seriously applicable to life, and no, it's not about becoming the opposite of a nice guy.

- "Overcoming Procrastination" - Dr Albert Ellis. A practical way of um...overcoming procrastination

- "The Power of Eye Contact" - Michael Ellsberg

- "The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It " - One of the few business books that's actually useful.
    Post edited by kulashaker at 2012-07-06 11:02:30
    Am I Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.
  • There's a lot of social stigma to what I'm about to say - but about a decade ago, I was really depressed - and Tony Robbins really wasn't bad to listen to at that point in my life.
    fickbowt: "Wearing yesterday's pants - TOMORROW!"
  • erikerik
    Hrair
    Personal Development for Smart People, Steve Pavlina.
    Getting Things Done, David Allen
    Notes from a Friend, Tony Robbins

These three books have helped me enormously. The Pavlina and Robbins books are concise distillations of their ideas for getting some momentum in your life. And the Allen book has become a classic for giving people the tools they need to stay on track during difficult projects. Ever since I've adopted the Getting Things Done (GTD) techniques, I've become vastly more effective and less anxious. I first encountered GTD around 2005, and every year I incorporate its principles more deeply into my life.
    You can, if you are so inclined, follow me at @vegan on twitter or check out my blog at Vegan.com/blog
  • i liked Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh
    こたえは いつも 私のむねに。
  • fickbowt said:

There's a lot of social stigma to what I'm about to say - but about a decade ago, I was really depressed - and Tony Robbins really wasn't bad to listen to at that point in my life.

I like some of his stuff. He's got a really good quote - "The quality of your life is in direct proportion to the amount of uncertainty you can tolerate"
  • @kulashaker - I'm a bit dense, so can you distill that for me? Does he mean that if you can tolerate more uncertainty your life will be better, or worse?

I've had a life chockablock full o'uncertainty. I would say for the most part the impact has been negative; however, I am now a very resourceful and more resilient person because of it... what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger, right?

"Getting Things Done" was a great book for me, as was "What Should I Do With My Life", and also "When The Body Says No" by Dr. Gabor Mate, who has been a local Dr. here for decades and has been helping on the frontlines of the worst addictions battles in Vancouver's notorious Downtown Eastside.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-07-06 15:28:02
    "the idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving" - Boat Car Guy
  • Does "Be Here Now" count? If so, that helped me out a lot when I was a teenager, and still does to this day.

It has a lot of haters, and rightly so in some cases, but I liked The Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss. The first section about freeing yourself from work and the last section about what to do once you can do it are things I still go back to read. His website is also good (he has a really nice article on starting Lucid Dreaming). The only problem I have with Ferriss is the sort of "Ive League bro living in San Francisco" attitude that he utilizes.
    Post edited by Satan at 2012-07-06 16:16:40
    "Say my name three times and I'll appear and hold your balls." --Duncan
  • bella said:

@kulashaker - I'm a bit dense, so can you distill that for me? Does he mean that if you can tolerate more uncertainty your life will be better, or worse?

I've had a life chockablock full o'uncertainty. I would say for the most part the impact has been negative; however, I am now a very resourceful and more resilient person because of it... what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger, right?

"Getting Things Done" was a great book for me, as was "What Should I Do With My Life", and also "When The Body Says No" by Dr. Gabor Mate, who has been a local Dr. here for decades and has been helping on the frontlines of the worst addictions battles in Vancouver's notorious Downtown Eastside.

It's basically a fancy way of saying "No risk, no gain". When you don't risk, risk will come to you -> usually when you're completely unprepared for it and with the odds stacked against you. Proactively making decisions and acting on them creates opportunities for positive change. At the same time, there is anxiety associated with every decision - "Will it work out?" , "Will I lose everything?", "What if I never find a new partner?" etc. That's where the uncertainty lies. For some people, the anxiety over the uncertainty feels too overwhelming and they end up paralyzed, letting the years go by and doing nothing. So if you can courageously tolerate the uncertainty that's a part of almost every big decision, you can create a great life. Decision = Destiny.

Post edited by kulashaker at 2012-07-06 17:55:42
  • Everything by Robert Anton Wilson. Although not really considered self help as the official genre, his books really impacted and changed my life
    it is what it is, but it ain't what it's cracked up to be
  • @kulashaker yeah, and he pulls that guru move of putting it all back on you. I'm a fan of that move - I think it really is the difference between a guru and a cult leader.
    fickbowt: "Wearing yesterday's pants - TOMORROW!"
  • How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World.....Harry Browne

How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life.....Alan Lakein

How to Talk Dirty and Influence People.....Lenny Bruce

The True Believer.....Eric Hoffer

Be Here Now.....Baba Ram Dass
  • Everything by Robert Anton Wilson. Although not really considered self help as the official genre, his books really impacted and changed my life

yeah, especially Prometheus Rising.

and as others have said, Be Here Now.

I also really enjoyed The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment.

of course I'm loosely fitting these books into the "self help" compartment.
    sunt lacrimae rerum
  • On The Road...Kerouac.

Not really in the traditional sense of self-help. It helped me appreciate social interactions more and sparked a sense of adventure in me.
  • On The Road...Kerouac.

Not really in the traditional sense of self-help. It helped me appreciate social interactions more and sparked a sense of adventure in me.

Such an enjoyable book. I read it in a hammock during a vacation in Vermont. Funny how you remember these things. You might also like his book "Desolation Angels".

• uiuuiu
    Hrair
    I just read "Working With Anger" by Thubten Chodrun and it's helping me with some of my personal issues...even though I do not think of myself as a very angry person.
  • Mind-Droppings - Carlin
    When in doubt zoom out
  • If you're a writer: The Artist's Way, though very cheesy looking, is worth it's weight in gold. It's a practical, step based system for getting off your ass and writing.

If you have to talk to people: How to Win Friends and Influence People is unbelievably effective. It's a little dated, but the techniques are like jiu-jitsu for interpersonal relationships.

If you find yourself in advertising: Ogilvy on Advertising is like a lesson in manhood from Don Draper.
  • i might have read around 25-30 books including audio books from tonay robbins, stephen covey, wayne dyer, dale carnegie, napoleon hill, les brown etc. i found Les brown tapes to be very inspiring and motivating.

however to be fair, in-spite of all that reading/listening I retained none of them and probably implemented less than 5% of what i read. so i might as well have not read them in first place.

i am right now reading this one, would this be considered self-help?
    http://www.amazon.com/Masturbation-Creative-Blowing-Techniques-ebook/dp/B005MRSWR4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341808880
    Post edited by xenergy at 2012-07-09 00:52:52
  • The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
  • I read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle after Eddie Pepitone suggested it on his podcast. Great stuff.
    22 male dallas
  • 2na2na
    Hrair
    Would like very much to read that book on eye contact.
    Post edited by 2na at 2012-07-11 02:40:35
    Take it from your Highness.
    When in doubt zoom out
  • /\ I wish I would have learned that years ago.

I read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle after Eddie Pepitone suggested it on his podcast. Great stuff.

Great book. Not easy to stay in the present for more than a few seconds without the timeshifting crap taking over.

Post edited by kulashaker at 2012-07-12 11:11:14
  • optimisto said:

Thanks, that helped me right now!
    If you don't have light, you don't have sight.
  • song
    Hrair
    When Things Fall Apart - Pema Chodron
    Comfortable with Uncertainty - Pema Chodron
    The Beatitudes
    Present Perfect: A Mindfulness Approach to Letting Go of Perfectionism and the Need for Control - Pavel Somov
    The Late Bloomers Revolution - Amy Cohen (not technically self help, but a memoir of someone labeled as a "late bloomer" - helped me learn to accept where I was in life)
  • RyanRyan
    Hrair
    Another vote for Be Here Now and really anything by Ram Dass but this being the Duncan Trussell forum, I'm sure everyone is already aware.

I really want to read The War of Art. Suppose to be really good for artists/creative types.

ryancarrier.com
  • life 101 and love 101 both have a good section in them about writing down all the things you do in a week and all the shit you want to accomplish and giving up anything you cant give AT LEAST some hours every week. like youll never be a badass at something if youre not doing it 10 hours a week - hopefully alot more.
  • I read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle after Eddie Pepitone suggested it on his podcast. Great stuff.

that and A New Earth are my favorites of all time.

• Beyond Positive Thinking - Dr. Robert Anthony
    Be Here Now - Ram Dass
  • i just finished reading "Do What you Are" by Tieger, and Barron-Tieger, and it was quite helpful in terms of understanding (and identifying) my personality type and furthering my career.
  • I originally avoided this book because of the title. I later learned that what I first assumed was incorrect and the title was not an accurate representation of the book. It has a very peaceful connotation and is also based on (imo) logical psychological generalizations about our culture and people in general. This book was a huge factor in both my career and interpersonal/social successes. It's promoted ideas may "seem" like common sense but are so often missed by our society. I couldn't endorse this book more! (note: two books included)

Although not "self-help" per say... Some of his ideas are a bit radical for the work place but I believe his general message is both challenging , accurate, and needed for so many of those in the work force today. A wake up call.

Post edited by Consigliere at 2012-08-28 14:06:13
  • Enter the Kettlebell.
  • Freedom From the Known - Krishnamurti
    How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
    Post edited by jacobtillman at 2012-09-05 00:34:40
  • @kulashaker I just started reading "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and man I seriously think this book is helping me achieve a breakthrough. Thanks brother for putting it out there for people to see.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field..... I'll meet you there" -Rumi_
  • I'm really sorry guys and gals, but my opinion differs - in that I see these books as a cheap shortcut to reading the right books that specialize in a certain facet of human life, and absorbing them before moving on to the more meta-physical stuff.

No hate here by the way, just wanted to be honest :)

Pretty much in that order ;)

Some of those I have as an audiobook some of them in text. I go back to them often, each time finding something new to learn. I think if we direct our thought patterns more towards the great ideas and philosophies that are present in those books, and other great literature, then take actions to improve ourselves and be an example for those who close to us, we can change the world :) one thought at a time)

• Wow you guys a great this is exactly the kind of list I was hoping to find here! I have Tony Robbins unlimited Power in front of me right now. Why would you hate on TR? He is supper successful, for helping people.
    Power of Now seriously impacted me and helped me out when I was going through a dark time. Others might find it complete non sense.
    anything by Ram Dass and Alan Watts is great.
    My first post on this forum just learning the ropes. Thanks for the great reading suggestions.
  • no more mr Nice Guy ahahahahahah. the worst name for a book ever))

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!