The beginner's guide to consuming mushrooms.
  • Ok so I'm eating mushrooms for the first time sometime next week. I've already done pot a handful of times, and love it.

I was wondering whether you popes have personal tidbits of tips n' tricks.

I'm taking 5 grams. In the alone darkness of my basement or room.

• Good thread. It is sad to say but I'm having trouble locating them...weed is easy to get by comparison here in Censor-nati
  • I think they're just psilocybin mushrooms, I'm getting them from a dealer (which is scary as fuck)

Someone told me 5 grams are a bit much, but I'm taking Mckenna's "heroic" doses to heart.
  • Ummm take less, seriously. There is no rush. They are rewarding at many levels. You can always go for "Heroic" doses later if you still wish. Terrence was not talking to "virgins" in his workshops. Also just fyi, his favorite mushroom (Psilocibe Cubensis) was on the weaker side of the spectrum compared to many mushrooms, now they are one of the most common sold since they are easy as heck to grow, but if you got one of the big boy strains and ate 5grams you are in for it. Pretty much all mushrooms you would ever get from a dealer are psilocybin mushrooms (amanita's are not common) but there is a huge variety of them. Educating yourself might be a good thing to do!

Seriously take less. I've already ranted about this before on this very forum. It's bad for the community to use these substances lightly.
  • If you take significantly less, you will likely just end up wishing you had taken more. Take enough.
    こたえは いつも 私のむねに。
  • I'm going to be going over to the dealer's house, and there's going to be about 5 people trying shrooms that day. I'm going to save them for later though, in my own room for a weekend my family is gone out.

EDIT: It's not that I don't trust the guy, it's always just weird buying any substance from a dealer.

Well see the thing is, I know the LD-50 rate is immensely larger than the effective dose, and the trip is 8-10 hours. So I'm not nervous about the dosage as much as the actual trip.

My intentions are to learn more about myself, maybe shed some light into my desires or wishes I knew were there, but I was subconsciously afraid to admit.

And yes, I've written down a bunch of stuff to say on a piece of paper:

"What is my purpose in life"
    "I'm in your hands, show me"

I'm going to put up a thread detailing my experience from head to toe.
    Post edited by Himanshu at 2012-07-04 23:02:34
  • Bump this thread from space.
  • Go for the 5 grams man! Ride that new grace you get. I didn't have any difficulties until 10 or 15 trips in. A lot of people recommend and take lower doses. A lot of my friends never go above a gram. It's always "just a light trip this time." But it's in those light trips that you can overthink what's happening and freak. If you're going to do it, do it.

If you really want to go deep, it's about concentration and serenity. Keep your mind calm, and go deeper and deeper. If you have experience meditating, go with that. The idea is to still your mind and let it do it's thing. If you find your mind wandering, bring it back to what the mushrooms are doing. Focus on that, lay (or sit) still. I find that the more calm I can bring, the more detached I can become, the more I can push through the center and deeper into the thing.
  • Apocaloptimist1
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me.
    LOL
    Anti-Profit Permaculture Campgrounds for Creative Minds!
    http://www.CampExist.org

• BeefLeg said:

Go for the 5 grams man! Ride that new grace you get. I didn't have any difficulties until 10 or 15 trips in. A lot of people recommend and take lower doses. A lot of my friends never go above a gram. It's always "just a light trip this time." But it's in those light trips that you can overthink what's happening and freak. If you're going to do it, do it.

If you really want to go deep, it's about concentration and serenity. Keep your mind calm, and go deeper and deeper. If you have experience meditating, go with that. The idea is to still your mind and let it do it's thing. If you find your mind wandering, bring it back to what the mushrooms are doing. Focus on that, lay (or sit) still. I find that the more calm I can bring, the more detached I can become, the more I can push through the center and deeper into the thing.

Sweet, I'll definitely try meditating. Should I put on some shpongle or something? Or just no music?

• 6is96is9
    Hrair
    Use caution and more respect, probably wise to have someone with you as well - whether they are tripping with you or not. Would you eat 2 breath strips of THC after hearing about them from the podcast's or maybe start off on the lighter side? I would never recommend more than 1 or 2 grams for a first trip, especially if you are planning on being alone (which I wouldn't recommend either) and you don't know the strain or strength of what you are taking. It ain't like smoking the pot... LSD is 8-12 hours. I've never heard of psilocybin or psilocin lasting more than 4-6hrs unless one munches more on the way down. It is a big world in there and there is plenty of time to explore. No need to flatten yourself the first time... Just my two cents
  • 6is96is9
    Hrair
    If you haven't heard this yet, take a listen since you are so stuck on the TM 5g thing...

http://www.matrixmasters.net/salon/?p=595
  • Listen to these guys man. 5 grams isn't just a little bit too much for your 1st time, It's WAAAAAYYY too much!

You will still get an experience that'll blow your little socks off with half that or even less. I've been taking them for over 10 years and haven't yet done the fabled 'heroic dose'.

If you ignore everyone and do it anyway, you better have your shit together man. As in :

No worries or anxiety about anything

A fairly high level of self-worth/confidence.

Somewhere warm and safe where the outside world can't disturb you mid-trip.

Take the phone off the hook.

Hang on tight.

I hope you take heed and go a bit easier your 1st time. You could start a beautiful new relationship OR be scared of them for life.
  • EW
    Hrair
    I like grazing on mushrooms, take a good bit to start, come back and eat more an hour or two later, again a bit later. Do something fun, go out. I tripped at home with some people, which was great, but I looking back I hated that house and it was late so I felt trapped. There were sketchy people at one point and that derailed me.

Then this other time I was at a recording session all day, took my first dose at 9 or 10 and kept doing it throughout the day. It was a lot more fun that way to be away from my familiar environment and doing something I like, with some downtime to take a walk or chat with somebody or whatever. So yeah, daytime, somewhere comfortable, somewhere extraordinary. I dunno about you but my room smells terrible so I'd hate to trip in there.

You can hear what a high bass player sounds like, if you want:
    http://soundcloud.com/andynshort/baby-wants-brains
  • dont do 5 grams for your first time especially if this is your first real psychedelic experience, something more like 2-3grams and probably best not in silent darkness. i like to go for dim lighting candles easy bit of background music and good friends around you, also dont go planing on doing anything to extreme like going to a concert or seting of fire works it can be incredibly overwhelming i know from personal experience. but this is just my take on it all, so depending on how good you are on mentally dealing with altered states of consciousness then you can gauge sensibly from that on how deep you want to go your first time. have a nice trip buddy
    ( :
    p.s. mushroom tee is really nice with honey .
    (Q) Have I gone mad?

(A) I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. - Alice in Wonderland
  • 6is9 said:

Use caution and more respect, probably wise to have someone with you as well - whether they are tripping with you or not. Would you eat 2 breath strips of THC after hearing about them from the podcast's or maybe start off on the lighter side? I would never recommend more than 1 or 2 grams for a first trip, especially if you are planning on being alone (which I wouldn't recommend either) and you don't know the strain or strength of what you are taking. It ain't like smoking the pot... LSD is 8-12 hours. I've never heard of psilocybin or psilocin lasting more than 4-6hrs unless one munches more on the way down. It is a big world in there and there is plenty of time to explore. No need to flatten yourself the first time... Just my two cents

(Q) Have I gone mad?

(A) I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. - Alice in Wonderland
  • I did just over 4 my first time, chasing that first trip ever since... Good luck to you, it will change your life. Remember there are no good trips or bad trips, there are only trips. I do recommend maybe having a good friend around, one who is intellectual, who has tripped, or who is even tripping on a smaller dose then you to act as a guide for when you are lost.

I also recommend having some good jams around.

Make sure you are in a good place in your life, you will have to face yourself in there, and we are normally hardest on ourselves. Not to say life has to be perfect, but its best to have all relationship issues sorted before hand whether it is family, friends, or significant other.

Most of all have fun. The world is BEAUTIFUL. Nature is ALIVE. Good luck and Godspeed.
  • Oh wow, I just realized this is the poster who just recently smoked pot for the first time and then proceeded to give advice to people immediately on how to smoke weed. He also made a post to someone trying to get off pain pills with simply "DMT/Mushrooms" from apparently no point of reference.

http://duncantrussell.com/forum/discussion/2554/cannabis-my-first-trip-ever-trip-report#Item_41

I salute your curiosity, but why are you in such a rush? Do yourself a favor and get your feet wet a little bit. There are a a bunch of us here that have been around the block with these substances for longer than you have been alive. You can have FULLY MIND FUCK AMAZING trip on mushrooms at 1/2 the dose you want to take. The ability to do a "heroic" dose will still exist in the future. Each experience is unqiue and somewhat unpredictable even if you took the same dosage ever time. I'm starting to wish that talk op posted didn't exist in some sense and this is from someone who has listened to 100's of hours of TM talks!

Weed is a very different substance, it is not remotely similar chemically and experientially it is also way different.

If you chose to ignore all the advice then at least make sure you have someone around to help you out and are in a safe space where you will have no distractions.

Good luck, hope you have an interesting/fruitful experience.
  • My first time I split an 8th with my fiance, and we staggered our portions. We waited till the first ones kicked in and started to peak and then ate the rest. The most i've eaten is 3.5 grams at once. I would reccomend you do them with someone, it's always good to have a buddy with you to help you out if you are having a tough time, after your first time down and you know exactly what to expect than have at that hero dose by yourself. Good luck!

I recently had some and got to look at the sun rising on the colorado river, it was one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen!
  • @Malaclypse I do agree with you he shouldn't be giving advice with no experience or frame of reference, but I will actually disagree that weed is totally dissimilar to a mushroom trip.

While I will give you they are not the same, you can get a lot of the introspective feelings on marijuana that you would from a mushroom trip.
  • Many of the posters so far are advising you to take the cautious route and work your way up to the so-called heroic doses rather than going for 5g first time around. That would probably be the prudent thing to do.

Having said that, my understanding is that the subjects in the much-publicized psilocybin study done at Johns Hopkins were all first-timers and the dose they used (referred to in some of the media reports as "researchers find sweet spot") was pretty high. I believe they used capsules of synthetic psilocybin so the dosage was expressed as x milligrams of psilocybin per kilogram of body weight, but I seem to recall that it was equivalent to something around 5 grams of dried p. cubensis. But of course saying what their dosage was equivalent to in dried shrooms is not very exact because you are comparing a synthetic agent with an organic one.

Also, the subjects in that study had two trained guides on hand to talk if necessary, but most of them were pretty happy to direct their trip inward with an eyeshade and music through headphones.

I think you'd probably be OK if you took the dose you intend to... But you have to recognize that it involves a more significant risk of a difficult experience, especially if you don't have an "entheoguide" there just in case things get hairy.

I took about 30-35g fresh (roughly equivalent to 3-3.5g dry) last April. Technically it wasn't my first time, but it was only my 2nd time overall and about 12 years had passed from my first psilocybin experience, so it was almost like a first time. As it turned out, it was a fantastic experience and I suppose I did the prudent thing by taking just that amount, but I do have to admit that part of me regretted not having gone for a bit more.
  • OK so I'm getting a vibe that I'm trying to build a house on an uneven foundation if I take 5 grams? My fear with taking just 3 grams is that I won't be fully in this other dimension, but at a crossroads where I can sort of glimpse at myself with different eyes, but not fully examine myself.

That's primarily why I'd be taking 5.
  • I have a strong feeling you think tripping will be something completely different then it actually is.
  • Mark Farina's Mushroom Jazz series is worth having queued up.

• Ghost_Hit said:

he's been warned a million different ways. taking 5 wont kill him, and it will be more interesting.

Perhaps we should go the opposite route. He should be fine taking 1000mcgs of LSD then 20 minutes in eat the 5 grams of Mushrooms and then 1 hour or so into that someone prepare a bag of 100mg of Vaped dmt and make him smoke that. NO THAT IS HOW TO TRIP!

• How heroic of you!
    Hope your brain makes it through to the other side.
    Say, did you ever work up the courage to ask that girl out?
    www.reverbnation.com/bernwoodfunk
    @bernwoodfunk on twitter
  • Seriously man, you should take the advice that is being given here. There is no need to go plunging head first into the abyss. Feel it out a bit. For your first time I would recommend not to do them alone. Have some good friends around, go out and experience nature, and most importantly don't over think it. Go stare up at the clouds, they're awesome. The best thing you can do is get a feel of the effects before you go exploring the dark recesses of your own mind. I can only speak from my own experiences but trust me, you do NOT want to find yourself in over your head. That being said, don't let me or anyone else deter you from doing what you feel must be done.
    Post edited by SirCortly at 2012-07-05 17:10:04
  • I think people worry that the mushrooms will make them lose control. To some degree its true, but you will always have your decision making ability intact, though you may not be sure who 'you' are. Listen man, the way mushrooms work is that most people start at an eigth or therabouts and then always do a little less over time to keep it at bay because theyre afraid of surrendering to the trip. If you want to go deep, do it! Ive tripped maybe 100 times and never been in a place where I do something stupid. Just turn your phone off, put out some nice refreshing trip books and maybe some crayons/paper and some drinks. I recommend doing it at night and being sure no one will disturb you. Dont let other peoples fears of the thing turn you off. Ive done trips ranging from 1 gram to 13 grams, and I have had plenty of difficult experiences, but most were from lower doses. Terence Mckenna talks about the same thing. If you want the full "psychedelic" effect, do at least 4 grams. 5 is fine.

More advice: write on your arm with a sharpee: "its OK, youre just tripping!"
    Have yr music all queued up so you dont have to change tracks. The less lyrics in your music the better, they can spin you into someone elses trip.
    Have orange juice or some delicious drink ready
    Do them at least two hours after eating. Dont eat them on food, that weakens the trip.
    Dont do it while sleepy or stressed.
    Do it after having a day off, and with a day off the next day. That way you dont still have that days stresses lingering, and you dont wphave to worry about getting up early or something.

Ive never used sitters, and when tripping with others I tend to have worse trips because a part of my energy is directed outwards: Im thinking about what to say to them, or how ridiculous Im acting etc... If you want to go deep, forget what others are saying, do it alone.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself. So long as youre somewhere safe, theres nothing tofear! First timers almost never have difficulties be cause their minds dont know how to resist. Just let the thing happen, it is a positive experience. The first timers that do have problems are usually out in the world or with people. Go to a silent space, prepare well, and dive deep while you still have the motivation! Dont expect anything. Dont try to interpret it. Just let it happen. Its the most beautiful experience a person can have, and I think if your mind isnt resisting, its a chance to commune with the divine.

PS - get the book "be here now" and have it on hand, its pulled me back from some difficult situations. Dont be afraid to sing or dance, those things can bring your mood up.

Pps - you can turn the lights off after a while, but i recommend low light and background music, you can go just as deep as in silent darkness in my experience
  • EW
    Hrair
    @BeefLeg that is excellent advice.
  • 6is96is9
    Hrair
    Something like this would make this discussion much easier... image
  • I didn't read all the other posts but felt the need to say something asap!!!!! umm do not take 5 grams! For one you don't know the potency and probably don't know the specific strain either...start out with like 2.5 and test it out.. you will have a mellow happy experience and you will be more relaxed the next time you get them from the same guy. Also to the post above me those weights are refferring to fresh mushrooms not dried out mushies
    My heroes are midgets with real jobs.
  • 6is96is9
    Hrair
    I am aware that the sign is from Amsterdam and they are wet weight. 35g wet is roughly 3.5g dried. Gives one a small idea of the different strains and potency. I meant that having smartshops, like the one's in Amsterdam, would be best because then you can know what you are dealing with right off the bat if you don't have good connection's or just don't know. Mushroom strength, people's personal chemistry and ability to tolerate psychedelic's can vary wildly.
  • BeefLeg has great advice. I think if he has researched enough to be asking for advice and has found Mckenna he'll be just fine. My first experience I was not so fortunate. The only advice I received was to drink orange juice, in retrospect, I laugh at my past. @Himanshu I'll be waiting on your trip report =)

As far as music shpongle is great, but a personal shaman is even better!

Post edited by Eternalshrooms at 2012-07-06 00:27:09
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."-Socrates

• @KevinDontWave - YES Mark Farina is one of my favorites, especially for tripping. It's so upbeat
    Post edited by BeefLeg at 2012-07-06 03:42:31
  • @Beefleg Would you consider this point of view a belief? for me I don't like binding myself to beliefs because it hinders my ability to keep an open mind.
    Post edited by Eternalshrooms at 2012-07-06 10:45:09

• @Eternalshrooms Yeah, it is my subjective interpretation of my life of shrooms and meditation. I could absolutely be wrong. And I am with you on that, believing anything shuts your mind to some extent. But that's where I'm at with my experiences. I am probably laying too much of my trip onto others though!

Actually yeah, I'll remove that last one and not impose my own interpretation of the thing.
    Post edited by BeefLeg at 2012-07-06 03:42:20
  • The perfect amount for your first time I say is about 2-3 grams. Taking 5 for your first trip could send you into a world wind of disaster and ruin the entire experience for you. 3 is perfect.
  • BeefLeg said:

@Eternalshrooms Yeah, it is my subjective interpretation of my life of shrooms and meditation. I could absolutely be wrong. And I am with you on that, believing anything shuts your mind to some extent. But that's where I'm at with my experiences. I am probably laying too much of my trip onto others though!

Actually yeah, I'll remove that last one and not impose my own interpretation of the thing.

Yup that makes sense. I was completely blind towards the imposing interpretations bit, good catch.

• Have some weed packed. Just in case ;)
  • I'm getting some more vibes saying this is a really bad idea.

Okay so my solution is: Get 8 grams
    Eat 3 grams with friends
    Save the other 5 for a time when I'm alone.

I'll have some weed in a bowl ready to go.
  • Himanshu said:

Eat 3 grams with friends
    Save the other 5 for a time when I'm alone.

I'll have some weed in a bowl ready to go.

This! 3 grams with trusted friends is a great way to start. I'm glad I started small and worked my way up to 5+ grams.
    Post edited by ApricotJones at 2012-07-06 13:24:00
  • here's a tip for when your tripping balls already and you start to realize nothing makes sense and then you feel like nothing matters. "since nothing matters, it doesn't matter that nothing matters, and there's no reason to be sad about it. Unless you want to. But you could also be happy about it if you wanted to." - erik engstrom of horse the band
  • HaimHaim
    Hrair
    @himanshu I want to start by saying I really do like your new plan. I started with three as well and it was a great introduction. I do want to say, also, to take all of this advice you are getting with a grain of salt. Remember that this experience is very personal and everyone's interpretation is different. My advice, go with what you feel. While it is everyones intention to help you, it's like trying to explain the moon to someone who has never seen it. In my opinion, If you approach with positive feelings and with the intent to learn more about yourself and your surroundings, then you have nothing to worry about. Bring back as much as you can, and tell us about it!
    You are free now. -Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
  • HaimHaim
    Hrair
    @BeefLeg You are wonderful.

You are free now. -Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
  • This thread needs an update from @Himanshu.

• I took 5 my first trip and it was the best time of my life. Take less only if you think you may have a bad trip. Also, I suggest being alone.
    Get a job you dirty hippies!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!