How big is the Universe?
  • Arguably one of the most complex parts of biology...the brain, can't process how big the universe really is. All of which comes from something smaller than the fingernail used to press the "?" button on your keyboard. An ever expanding vacuum that doesn't end. Within the cosmos, just our galaxy is comprised of roughly 200-400 billion stars with circulating in orbit around 10 billion planets. That is one galaxy, it is thought that there very well could be more galaxies than there are grains of sand on this planet in conjunction with more words ever written down or spoken within the course of time itself. If that isn't enough, a black hole within the center of every galaxy very well could lead to another dimension/universe that could be larger than the next.

Look at the fundamental ingredients of which life on this planet is composed of and how very common those elements are outside of our solar system. It would almost be spooky to think that we are alone in this universe. There has to be something out there, we may never find it because how vast the exploration would have to be...but I believe!
    Post edited by mwright at 2012-06-30 14:16:54
  • isnt it a trip..... somewhere right now, someone else is on their version of the internet wondering the same thing.

right this very second...

want a real mind trip? google magnetars and gamma ray bursts. blow. your. mind.
    Post edited by GhostScience at 2012-06-30 13:32:45

• Yep, the Universe is really, really, super-duper huge.
  • hcehce
    Hrair
    Could it be infinite? Does it make sense to ask how "big" infinity is?
    Post edited by hce at 2012-06-30 13:50:43
  • "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

- albert einstein

i believe this. im on this track, like a train, right or wrong.

• Ghost_Hit said:

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

- albert einstein

i believe this. im on this track, like a train, right or wrong.

That quote doesn't make any sense.
  • im a nerd

i read a part in an eckhart tolle book that went something like this:

"all the drama... your entire life... everything youve ever known... the people you know, the job you have, the bills you pay... (this message board) is just a temporary blip. a blink of an eye. all the violence, the science, the wonder, the worry... its all just a speck of dust floating on this mostly blue ball thats just driftin though space..."

i took a lot of literary liberty there sorry.
    Post edited by GhostScience at 2012-06-30 14:16:19

• @honkygeorge that made me smile...

look it up sir
    Post edited by GhostScience at 2012-06-30 14:03:36

• Ghost_Hit said:

@honkygeorge that made me smile...

look it up sir

I see what he's getting at, but I don't see any illusions.
    Post edited by mwright at 2012-06-30 14:13:05
  • I heard somewhere that their are more galaxies then grains of sand from every beach on earth. Pretty big uni.
  • Ghost_Hit said:

@honkygeorge that made me smile...

look it up sir

I see what he's getting at, but I don't see any illusions.

the illusion is that there isnt an illusion. thats the definition of an illusion...

or maybe its all reality and im a dumby who knows...
    Post edited by GhostScience at 2012-06-30 15:16:35

• Ive never eaten a pot cookie before, but I think I should wait for a clear day, eat one and look up at the stars.
  • mwright said:

Ive never eaten a pot cookie before, but I think I should wait for a clear day, eat one and look up at the stars.

bam. rock on.
  • The biggest fallacy in logic in all this is when people go to physical matter to better conceptualize the universe' size. It's really the emptiness that is massive in comparison.

Here's something that'll blow your fucking mind. Imagine the number of years it would take you to master the idea of the universe' scale... a long time right? Well that's just the OBSERVABLE universe. The actual universe, as it is today - it's current state, is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, or One Hexillion times larger than the observable universe.

In other words, an atom is to the observable universe, as the observable universe is to the real universe. Take a look at your pointer finger - there's more than one trillion atoms in there.

Space and time has stretched soo far that perhaps even a type 3 civilization - one that harnesses the energy of black holes - may never visit the edge of the universe. There is quite literally not enough time... unless you don't mind coming back from the edge to find a super galaxy in place of the milky way. At that point, the universe will be expanding so fast that light from nearby galaxies will not be able to exceed the speed of their escape away from us, and so the milky way, in all it's splendor, will be completely alone, floating amongst what may as well be infinite blackness and void.
    Post edited by Clarion at 2012-07-01 06:40:31
    We take for granted things around / are child's play all the way down.
    | my shit | more |
  • Its all theory... I don't believe in space.
  • What I said up there is apparently a real thread killer :P Someone try 1-upping that!
    | my shit | more |
  • Clarion said:

What I said up there is apparently a real thread killer :P Someone try 1-upping that!

was that your goal?

• Who said there is an edge of the universe? You know people used to think the world was flat too.
  • Prezz said:

Who said there is an edge of the universe? You know people used to think the world was flat too.

There's at least a visual horizon.
    | my shit | more |
  • Clarion said:

What I said up there is apparently a real thread killer :P Someone try 1-upping that!

There could be an infinite number of universes for all we know.
    Post edited by RyanT at 2012-07-02 01:08:05
    Traveling through the Multiverse

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!