What's with everyone and beards?
  • When did beards become memes? Most guys I know seem to love beards, talking about beards, pointing out beards on the street like they were breasts on a hot lady. "Look at that beard" "did you see that beard". Was there a beard memo that beards were the new thing to admire but not to have?
  • im glad beards are appreciated even by those who choose not to grow them
    こたえは いつも 私のむねに。
  • im glad beards are appreciated even by those who choose not to grow them

Hell yes! I've had a beard since I was able to grow one when I was like 15 or 16 or something (26 now). I think I've only been clean shaven like once, and I quickly grew bored of it. Beards are FTW!

• I have a beard on top of my head.
    Post edited by Tsoukalos at 2012-06-29 18:22:37
  • Can't seem to grow one. Time is a tough nut to crack.
  • A few months ago I shaved my beard and I started noticing that I was getting ID'd more in bars, pub's, and purchasing blunt raps and rollies. Quickly I realized that it couldn't just be the servers and tellers; the general public must be looking at me as a younger lad. So the beard quickly returned and wont be leaving anytime soon!
  • We take for granted things around / are child's play all the way down.
    | my shit | more |
  • everytime i go to a job interview and have to shave my beard i feel a piece of my soul fleeting from existence
  • Is anyone else tired of the concept of a mustache as a meme? Now that I ride public transit I have seen a few guys with long, waxed curly ones. Its getting silly, and not in a good way.
    "Trying to reason with a stubborn female is like trying to fist a urethra." -- wandering_womb
  • Tsoukalos said:

I have a beard on top of my head.

Yes you do, sir.
  • I started to grow a year ago,,, it´s not really a beard... more like some scattered shit akin to prepubescent crotch growth lol. Still I rock it around and only 2 people during that 1-year time have mentioned it. Friends that is...

For once, the fear of offending people goes to my advantage. I usually start to talk about it first. I tell people "wanna touch my misplaced pubes"? Ususally gets a laugh when they realize that even I think it looks like shit. Luckily shit looks good on me ^^
  • I would totally grow an epic beard, if I could....=( at 23 I can only grow peach fuzz! For now I'll just grow my hair out.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."-Socrates

• cory
    Hrair
    imo breads are better when earned
  • @ladychef i see beards more analogous to females with armpit hair.
    こたえは いつも 私のむねに。
  • Beards have always been in culture for wise old leaders / wizards / heroic swordfighting dudes or pirates.
    "Ultimately, nothing in this life is “commonplace,” nothing is “in between.” The threads that join your every act, your every thought, are infinite. All paths of mastery eventually merge." - George Leonard
  • How many people have beards, but don't wash 'em? I know someone who has real greasy mutton chops that I'm certain have never touched soap.

• AStrikes said:

Beards have always been in culture for wise old leaders / wizards / heroic swordfighting dudes or pirates.

And THAT is my reason for growing a beard. If only my mexican mustache would sprout into a beard, that is.

Stupid East Indian genes....
  • Beards have represented masculinity,wisdom and have looked badass for thousands of years. What's with the beard haters?
    “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” -Frank Zappa
  • KwaiChangCaineKwaiChangCaine
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me.
    Seriously, shaving sucks ass.
    Beards FTW.
    Namo Amituofo
  • Seriously, shaving sucks ass.
    Beards FTW.

this
  • My love of beards is directly proportional to my hatred of shaving.
  • If a woman could grow her tits over time the way a guy can grow a beard do you think she'd stop at a B cup?!
    Post edited by harrymanbach at 2012-07-01 11:41:16
    “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” -Frank Zappa
  • Travioso said:

My love of beards is directly proportional to my hatred of shaving.

Me too, I'll shave once, be happy about it and just look at it grow more and more as the days go on. I'm just too lazy to shave, that and after the first shave it starts to irritate the shit out of my face each time after that unless i give it a really good amount of time in between shaves.
  • Cetra said:

everytime i go to a job interview and have to shave my beard i feel a piece of my soul fleeting from existence

If you have to go to more than one job interview, you're doing it wrong...

I heard men grow beards when society is missing masculinity.

anyone who doesn't like beards either A: can't grow one or B: has penis envy.

• ladychef said:

I've said it before on this board, but beards are the male equivalent of fake fingernails. Guys love the shit out of them, and women are like, um, eew, but.....ok.....I guess.

Speak for yourself. My girlfriend prefers me with a beard.
    Post edited by DrunkenAdama at 2012-07-01 15:45:32
    Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • I can't grow a proper beard, but I have a smart little goatee coming along. Beards are awesome.
  • duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah
    Covers my weak jaw and double chin. It's like a pubic bandana.
  • duncan said:

This exactly. I like to create the illusion of a chin. It's also a bit slimming in my case.

Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • Beard free since 1983

Coincidently that is also the year I was born.
  • SIOSSIOS
    Hrair
    I was told this weekend by a drunk chick at my sisters wedding that I looked like "a viking god" and had to dance with her. And so I did.
    Tuning in and dropping out, dancing Buddhas twist and shout!
  • Apocaloptimist1
    My beard is getting to Amish levels. I like it. It catches food before it hits my shirt and allows me to save morsels for later. It catches weld slag and other red hot flying chunks of metal before they can burn my face. Also, in some way, it's a fickle woman filter. If a female can't deal with it, we probably wouldn't get along anyway. Making out is over-rated movie shit. ;)

@SIOS Nice!
    Anti-Profit Permaculture Campgrounds for Creative Minds!
    http://www.CampExist.org

• Apocaloptimist1
    Some more good things about beards:
    I don't get carded for spray paint, glue, tobacco, or alcohol.
    The beard also hides my dimples which are a huge turn on for shallow women.
    Anti-Profit Permaculture Campgrounds for Creative Minds!
    http://www.CampExist.org

• nordicpheasantnordicpheasant
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me., Banned

When did beards become memes? Most guys I know seem to love beards, talking about beards, pointing out beards on the street like they were breasts on a hot lady. "Look at that beard" "did you see that beard". Was there a beard memo that beards were the new thing to admire but not to have?

You hanging out with some weird people.

celticrebel.wordpress.com
    http://freedompup.com/
  • When did beards become memes? Most guys I know seem to love beards, talking about beards, pointing out beards on the street like they were breasts on a hot lady. "Look at that beard" "did you see that beard". Was there a beard memo that beards were the new thing to admire but not to have?

You hanging out with some weird people.

Dude, people love beards, or love beards on other people.

duncan said:

The problem is, when you grow one it's hard to shave without feeling like your face is naked.

mdd0127 said:

My beard is getting to Amish levels. I like it. It catches food before it hits my shirt and allows me to save morsels for later. It catches weld slag and other red hot flying chunks of metal before they can burn my face.

Mr Twit ( who is gross BTW) also eats old bits of food out of his beard:

Because of all this, Mr Twit never went really hungry. By sticking out his tongue and curling it sideways to explore the hairy jungle around his mouth, he was always able to find a tasty morsel here and there to nibble on.

This is maybe the funniest bit of "The Twits":

Mr Twit felt that this hairiness made him look terrifically wise and grand. But in truth he was neither of these things. Mr Twit was a twit. He was born a twit. And now at the age of sixty, he was a bigger twit than ever.

Some children's books do hold up.
  • EW
    Hrair
    Himanshu said:

mexican mustache

Mexican mustaches are really hard to shave off, after a week or two they demand to stay put. The beard yeah not so much..
    Post edited by EW at 2012-07-05 16:32:14
  • I like having a beard, red beard. An ex actually loved it as well but I don't really think it's common for a girl to be too into it ... it's a love hate thing I guess. Right now I don't because it's just too hot and humid where I am to bother with one but it'll come back eventually. It certainly mans me up compared to just being a clean shaven, severely non-threatening looking, ginger.
    Post edited by thewbacca at 2012-07-05 17:21:33
  • EW
    Hrair
    Trimming scissors are a lot better than electric beard trimmers, im(h)o
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    I look like a lesbian without my beard.
  • Just groom it, please! It makes me want to barf thinking about what is in an unkempt beard. Even some of the posts above were wretch-worthy. Yeah, they look good on some people... people that keep them neat and tidy. No, that thing you have sickly hanging onto your chin is not going anywhere near my face or between my legs, thanks.
    "the idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving" - Boat Car Guy
  • to be fair, a real manly man would be shaving their face if they where living in alaska conditions because if they where working and got sweat in their beards, it'd freeze and that would suck

but i'm not exactly chopping trees down in alaska so fuck it
  • Wahl clippers, #1 shave to the head and face. Occasional wet shave. Job done.
    "Ultimately, nothing in this life is “commonplace,” nothing is “in between.” The threads that join your every act, your every thought, are infinite. All paths of mastery eventually merge." - George Leonard
  • Just had 2 girls at work tell me I'd better not shave my beard,well begged and pleaded with me not to. I of course teased and said "It is getting pretty hot though,hard to wear,etc.". There response was "No,no,no,no,you can't....".
  • I work in -18 degrees at my job so a beard is a must.
    Check out Tales From The Hardside podcast
  • I'm in the second month of recording my beard growth through daily photos. Plan on making it at least 6 months but mrs. Tsoukalos may make me shave before hand. Arab/German/Irish roots have me with a wicked thick beard growth.
  • "I got stuck in a cravarse on the moun-tain."

• I look 10 years younger without a beard.

Get a job you dirty hippies!
  • My beard comes in different colors so I tend to not grow it out, though I do sport the stubbly look often because I'm too lazy to shave.

Anyway, fuck beards. It's all about the 'stache.

Post edited by Satan at 2012-08-06 13:38:43
    "Say my name three times and I'll appear and hold your balls." --Duncan
  • When I grow a beard I feel no pain. That's until someone says you need to shave. Or I'm unemployed again. When I'm old and I don't need a job anymore, Watch out!
  • I have always wanted thick facial hair so I don't look 14. Now I just look 14 but with a receding hairline.
    I blow my load over the status quo.
  • mdd0127 said:

My beard is getting to Amish levels. I like it. It catches food before it hits my shirt and allows me to save morsels for later. It catches weld slag and other red hot flying chunks of metal before they can burn my face. Also, in some way, it's a fickle woman filter. If a female can't deal with it, we probably wouldn't get along anyway. Making out is over-rated movie shit. ;)

@SIOS Nice!

i agree with everything you just said, and i'll add the following. leg and armpit hair on a woman serves the same purpose. that sounds like a new thread, i'm starting it now. in the meantime, i'll say that having a crazy, out of control beard is an awesome weed-out mechanism for superficial chicks, while also being a green light for the other end of the spectrum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!