Before Watchmen
  • anyone reading these titles?
    I went back and forth on the merit's of the book, and have accepted them into my heart...I haven't bought the 1st yet, but I will.
    Eyes that have seen will know what I mean - Todd Rundgren
  • I picked up The Minutemen and Silk Spectre. Darwin Cooke's art is pretty amazing. I'm liking the fact that they are using the universe and referencing images, but aren't aping Moore's tone. I've yet to get The Comedian and Nite Owl... I'll probably pick them up in the next couple of days.

I'm a massive Moore fan, but I don't think one should swear them off because he is miffed. Although, I do understand his point that DC is still relying on ideas from 25 years ago... But, then again, Moores main works of the past 10 years have been pulling from both the entire literary and media canon (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), Lovecraft (Neonomicon), or Crowley (Promethea)
    Post edited by kungfu2882 at 2012-06-29 15:07:08

• I'm a massive Moore fan, but I don't think one should swear them off because he is miffed.

Exactly. When I first heard about these I thought "No way am I reading them." I gave into temptation when The Minutemen came out. I didn't really care for that one in particular--it was just rehashing what I knew already--but somehow I came across Silk Spectre a couple weeks ago, and that one's great. I'll probably read them all as they come out.

I have a massive respect for Moore's abilities as a creator, but that doesn't mean I can't read certain things that are well done.
    "Say my name three times and I'll appear and hold your balls." --Duncan
  • I'm boycotting "Before Watchmen" because I'm miffed, not because Moore is.
    It's his mythos and his universe. before watchmen could be great, but they won't be the Watchmen without Alan Moore.
  • @Nater...that was my attitude totally, but I heard compelling arguments against it.
    Mainly, these were old Charlaton characters Moore used for his story...so to my mind, these old characters are getting another chance to live and breath in another adventure...Lotsa artists and writers work on comics over the years...so, I'm gonna give it a shot
  • I will wait for the collected versions, but yeah I'll read them.
  • I understand the whole Alan Moore arguement but if you truly love watchmen I highly reccomend them.
    Ive collected June's issues, and i enjoyed them all, silk spector was surprisingly great. Comedian was also awesome. Nite owl also had a cool beginning with his home life and Hollis mason.
    I really feel like their doing it justice too. Stoked for ozymandais next week, and then I think their back in august not sure though.
  • Since my last comment, I've finished reading The Comedian #1. It's really good. Now I'm looking forward to Ozymandias and Rorschach. Anyone know if Hooded Justice is going to have an issue or just be part of The Minutemen?
  • I still don't think it's right. Alan Moore's stuff doesn't need to be expanded upon. I'm not attacking your tastes, or the right to keep a franchise going. It still doesn't feel right, It's like a band making a sequel to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.
    I will be just as sad when Image comics makes Walking Dead stories when Kirkman signs off. Can you imagine Vertigo doing "Before Sandman"? It's not okay I tell you!
    Watchmen doesn't have a " never ending franchise" vibe like monthly superhero comics.
  • @joseph I think hooded justice is just being put into minute men.

@nater you should've said if roger waters made a new pink floyd album with new musicians haha. It's not a never ending franchise though, Each series are limited to 4 or 6. Most of the material are things mentioned in watchmen that are now being brought to life. Did it need to be expanded on? Probably not. But someone pushed it and it just happens to be pretty awesome.
    Nater try the comedians!or minute men! I was skeptical too!
  • I think I'll skip them. I just don't think there could be much to say by other creators about the characters and stories that warrant diluting and bastardizing and moneygrabbing like they are. I'm sure plenty of them are decent to good, but there are so many comics and books and games out there to get to, I don't need the pale imitation or needless expansion and exploration of these characters. If it were a complete reboot and integration of them into the rebooted DC, that'd be much more interesting to me.
  • I also think John Byrne's X-men run was the greatest in it's history...
  • @piquiod did you read ozymandias?
  • sorry...missed this...
    No, I haven't picked up ANY titles yet...I plan on picking some up to read on my upcoming vacation
  • When's the next issue going to be out? A couple months, no?
  • slacking? yup...also broke and busy :)
  • Joseph said:

When's the next issue going to be out? A couple months, no?

Of which?
    They're out weekly
  • I thought they were taking a break after Ozymandias #1, but I guess I was mistaken.
  • @joseph I actually thought that aswell but went to my comic store to see silk spekter#2. Im really enjoying that story arc .
  • Silk Spectre has been my favorite so far. I think I'll drive down to my store and pick up number 2 today.
  • You should, it's a cool 60's/LSD issue
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-07-23 13:59:24

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!