Get rid of acne
  • All my life I was told that my acne would go away when I got older....well it didn't. It changed, got better, got worse, but never went away.

I struggled a long time with acne and no one had any answers, then I found http://thelovevitamin.com

She gave me the tools to figure out my acne problem and take action (action that didn't involve powerful drugs).

So yea, I suggest anyone struggling with acne to check out her blog. If I had to condense her entire blog into one sentence, it would be: There is an emotional problem underlying your acne that you can work on by developing a meditation practice and by learning to be happy regardless of the current state of your skin.
  • I had a beard of zits in middle school, that wasn't fun
  • yea i bet..."beard of zits" really paints a picture :/
  • Well, I tend to think acne is primarily a physical problem and a lot of obvious, surefire solutions for it can be found online, etc......

but if you're so worried about your skin that other things become secondary, then no shit you need to work out a mental routine to get out of that funk

• hi,

thats my tips:

Acid–base homeostasis
    and gut flora

read on it, modify your diet

its easy an have a lots of advantages!!!

trust me this is 2 keys for success

and I always thinks that you have to wait 3 months for results giving time to your body for response.

you can get strips that you piss on (colors change) at a health store. to check your A/B homeostasis.

dont get fooled by miraculous products (can be toxic)

im sure those tips will help you!

peace and love
  • Hi, I had terrible acne in junior high. Still have some "character scars" left over from those days, which I'm cool with 'cause it's not too bad. Diet and regular face washing was what worked for me the most, but also an entire lifestyle change is necessary if you want to keep them zits away.
    "Say my name three times and I'll appear and hold your balls." --Duncan
  • Does stress have anything to do with it?
  • Does stress have anything to do with it?

Yes, or so I've heard. At the very least, stress does not help.
    "Say my name three times and I'll appear and hold your balls." --Duncan
  • My beard covers the acne it causes...
    Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see and hear. Since the initial publication of the charted electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one millionth of reality.
  • I had moderate / severe acne from the age of 13 to 29. I was on antibiotics for 14 of those years, including tetracycline, minocycline, doxycycline, bactrim, and 7 months of the strongest Accutane available.

Each time I went off the antibiodics, my acne returned with a vengeance. I saw 10 different dermatologists over the years. When I posed the question, "Does diet have any affect on acne?" to each one, they all answered, unequivocally and authoritatively, "No."

At 29 I was suffering from a host of autoimmune diseases, gastrointestinal problems including IBS, and chronic joint inflammation. I felt like I had the body of someone twice my age.

At 29, at the request of my father, I ELIMINATED ALL DAIRY from my diet, and begun to consume 75% of my daily food in the form or RAW, ORGANIC, FRUITS AND VEGETABLES.

4 weeks later, after a severe bout of detox and elimination of things from my bowels that I wish to forget, my acne completely cleared.

As long as I keep dairy out of my diet (I now have an occasional raw goat cheese and that seems to work fine) and eat a high (and I do mean high, i.e. the majority of my daily intake) in raw organic fruits and vegetables, I remain more free from acne than I ever was at any point in my post-pubescent life, antibiotics or not.

RAW FOOD.

• I use to use acne products in high school and early college. What really ended up working for me was simply leaving my face alone. Don't touch it, don't over wash it. Maybe hormones just stopped but now I hardly get it at all.
  • hcehce
    Hrair

I had moderate / severe acne from the age of 13 to 29. I was on antibiotics for 14 of those years, including tetracycline, minocycline, doxycycline, bactrim, and 7 months of the strongest Accutane available.

Each time I went off the antibiodics, my acne returned with a vengeance. I saw 10 different dermatologists over the years. When I posed the question, "Does diet have any affect on acne?" to each one, they all answered, unequivocally and authoritatively, "No."

At 29 I was suffering from a host of autoimmune diseases, gastrointestinal problems including IBS, and chronic joint inflammation. I felt like I had the body of someone twice my age.

At 29, at the request of my father, I ELIMINATED ALL DAIRY from my diet, and begun to consume 75% of my daily food in the form or RAW, ORGANIC, FRUITS AND VEGETABLES.

4 weeks later, after a severe bout of detox and elimination of things from my bowels that I wish to forget, my acne completely cleared.

As long as I keep dairy out of my diet (I now have an occasional raw goat cheese and that seems to work fine) and eat a high (and I do mean high, i.e. the majority of my daily intake) in raw organic fruits and vegetables, I remain more free from acne than I ever was at any point in my post-pubescent life, antibiotics or not.

RAW FOOD.

Switchon has a good point about the gut flora. Did you ever get a gut microbiology or parasitology profile performed? Did your symptoms get better every time after starting some new antibiotic and then the acne came back after a period of a few days or weeks?

Were you ever exposed to drinking well water or water that may not have been treated? Eat a lot of shrimp or fish when you were younger? Ham or pork products?

How long of a delayed reaction before the acne comes back from eating dairy? Couple days? Few days?

I know someone whose wife had adult acne and it turned out to be a gut parasite. Wealthy couple, very clean by all outward appearances. It's not like they were drinking raw sewage and eating raw meat. It wasn't obvious how she would've picked it up. If anything, she would probably be considered by most to be extraordinarily hygienic.

What about wheat or gluten? It may be that your human organism is not specifically having problems with these foods, but that these foods are feeding a parasite which is then wreaking havoc on your human organism.

If you think that might be the case, check this out:

http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/gastrointestinal-function/dna-stool-analysis-gi-effects?t=clinicianInfo

• @adrenalize awesome stuff. As a child, I remember hearing over and over again that diet does not affect acne and that it is only a hormonal thing. Well how fucking stupid does that sound now considering all we know about how food/experiences/emotions can affect hormone output?...just pisses me off thinkin about it.

@seanm good point as well, don't overwash! I used to use a neutrogena acne-prone soap bar until I started reading TheLoveVitamin.com. Tracy convinced me to substitute acne soaps/washes for natural honey. I washed my face with natural honey for about 3 months. The first week felt weird, but after that my face felt just as clean, minus the dryness/pealing. Then after 3 months, I stopped using the honey and just started washing with water.

The moral of the story -> my acne condition has improved through my transition from using acne-washes to using just water.
  • In some sense I agree with the tc. I don't personally know about the medical effectiveness but I realized after awhile that more people woulda told me early and often "Nobody fucking cares how you look; just like you they're waaay too wrapped up in themselves".

I'm somebody who rarely if ever criticizes our culture in the sense that we act any differently than people would. But man, in our society (almost) every last young female role model does a commercial for Proactiv Solution. Nobody but nobody does a commercial for "Jesus Christ teenager, stop fucking worrying so much!"
  • hcehce
    Hrair
    Joseph said:

Hi, I had terrible acne in junior high. Still have some "character scars" left over from those days, which I'm cool with 'cause it's not too bad. Diet and regular face washing was what worked for me the most, but also an entire lifestyle change is necessary if you want to keep them zits away.

ScienceDaily (Nov. 18, 2008) — Men with facial scars are more attractive to women seeking short-term relationships, scientists at the University of Liverpool have found.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081118081446.htm

Post edited by hce at 2012-06-26 05:06:47
  • hce said:

Joseph said:

Hi, I had terrible acne in junior high. Still have some "character scars" left over from those days, which I'm cool with 'cause it's not too bad. Diet and regular face washing was what worked for me the most, but also an entire lifestyle change is necessary if you want to keep them zits away.

ScienceDaily (Nov. 18, 2008) — Men with facial scars are more attractive to women seeking short-term relationships, scientists at the University of Liverpool have found.

Yeah, that's a great thing to say if you're assuming that this person only wants a short-term relationship.

But you don't fucking know, so why do you assume?

• hcehce
    Hrair
    Zzyxzaa said:

hce said:

Joseph said:

Yeah, that's a great thing to say if you're assuming that this person only wants a short-term relationship.

But you don't fucking know, so why do you assume?

Below is my rationale behind the post. It didn't have anything to do with assumptions about Joseph.

People that bring up acne and junior high are self-conscious about their scarring. Thoughts from the past would not even enter our minds if we were not self-conscious about something to at least some degree.

I posted the link because we often pick up all kinds of negative self-image programming when we're kids or when we're in school as adolescents. All it takes is for one person to make one insensitive remark to us when we're kids and we can carry that thing around for decades. While we carry that thing around, it creates a false impression of ourselves and of the world. It doesn't matter if what was said to us is true or not.

People with scars don't usually run around on the Internet going "Hey everybody, I've got acne scars!" It's usually something they want to avoid talking about. If someone with some scars reads that article and it gets them to rethink and re-examine themselves, great. If nobody wants to read the article, that's also fine.

The topic of humans engaging in relationships of varying time duration is an interesting one. If you want to discuss that, make a thread and I'll contribute my thoughts to it.
    Post edited by hce at 2012-06-26 05:58:50
  • Put a towel over your pillow every night.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    I had acne well into my twenties. Now I rarely get a pimple and my scars are fading away.

The things that changed it for me were, cutting out refined sugars. I don't eat anything with sugar added. I also considerably cut down on my wheat consumption. Pimples are a sign that your immune system is working hard. Type 2 diabetes runs in my family so the pimples were a warning sign that something was not right. This coincided with a change in perspective which caused me to manage my stress better.

Also, change your pillowcase regularly, especially if you have pets who hang out on your bed.
  • KHAN said:

The things that changed it for me were, cutting out refined sugars. I don't eat anything with sugar added. I also considerably cut down on my wheat consumption.

I second this. One of the main triggers of my acne is foods with a high glycemic index, which is basically anything with refined sugars (including wheat bread). There is also something to say for the whole gluten thing, but I'm not sure if that affects me or not.

If you haven't tried modifying your diet, I would say start by cutting out (or cutting down significantly) all refined sugars and dairy products.
  • I follow some advice I got from The World According to Pretty Toney, an audio tome brimming with wisdom.

just sizzle them shits off.

hot water + cloth kills the infection. for individual pimples, works like a charm.
  • Discussion here inspired me to make a "positive commercial" for acne relief. It is basically an ad that sells you a positive idea instead of a material good/service.

Figured I'd post the link here, check it out homies!

http://letgoandflow.com/wp-content/uploads/powerpress/Commercial_Acne_Relief.mp3
    Post edited by letgoandflow at 2012-06-27 00:03:14
  • Lacto-vegan 16 years here. Grow the beard,but not to cover up acne. It was bad when I was a teen and I tried going vegetarian and it improved,then I went lacto-vegan and it cleared up almost altogether. If I get some manmade chemical on me I will break out or if something has an un-named ingredient. I also noticed just washing your face with tapwater to wash off excess oils is enough to clear up extra oily skin. If you do wash your face with a cleanser use Cetaphil and rinse well. Probiotics also seem too help.
    @KHAN
    My scars have faded as well. It's a great feeling.
    Post edited by harrymanbach at 2012-06-28 15:11:03
    “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” -Frank Zappa

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!