Do You Ever Have Embarassment Flashbacks About Something Stupid You Did Decades Ago?
  • I hate it, especially since I'm still get occasional pangs of embarrassment over things that nobody else would remember, like saying something dumb to a girl in high school, or whatever.

Anyone else suffer from this?
  • YES!!!

I actually shouted that as i pointed at the screen on my laptop when i noticed this thread. (yes i'm strange)

I have these, more often then i'd like to admit, I even feel myself get hot and bothered like i'm still ashamed of myself. I have to physically shake it from my head, then try to push it to the back of my mind.

That can't be healthy. lol
    "I got stuck in a cravarse on the moun-tain."
  • Not that often. But what I do have more oftenly are situations from years ago that I didn't realize that I said or did something fucked up that suddenly pop up in my mind and that I'm like 'oh that's why, you retard lol'
  • Yeah I get that occasionally. its always about some douche-ness that i pulled.
  • Most definitely. I've only lived a couple of decades, but as far back as I can remember there are humiliations that haunt me. And @SativaSteve, I have the same exactly the same reaction to them. I often physically react by putting my face in my hands, shuddering, or even talking to myself. Now *that* can't be healthy haha.
    How do you capture a beautiful bird without killing its spirit?
  • I still get pings of this, but I remember being a teenager and writhing in bed over things that not only existed in my head, were amplified.

I think with more experience, the more you put yourself on the line or in danger in more intense situations, you let go of embarrassment as they pale in comparison. It sounds bizarre but when I was 23, I conditioned myself to not feel embarrassment. I had just had enough.

Last Saturday, in Hollywood I was waiting for a ride; a car pulled up and I hopped into it and said "what's up man!" and it took way too long to look over and realize it was a total stranger! He wanted to hit me in the face.

I immediately laughed at the situation, was one of the dumbest things I have ever done and told everyone.

And even all the weak, mean, horrible things I did in my past relationship...it doesn't haunt me. Sure I feel guilt but, these things aren't ghosts that haunt us. They are a part of us and make us who we are.

I'll never forget, in 7th grade when I was having impossible and painful erections in class my friend Ian told me how he got rid of them. He said, "I just lean over to whoever is sitting next to me and tell them I have a huge erection right now." And you know what, when I finally had the courage to practice it. It worked.

Quit using a trapper keeper and tell someone!
  • I have the memory of being embarrassed to go to school because of what people would say or think about whatever happened. I have memories of being very embarrased to face my parents. But I have no memories of what happened to make me feel this way. I can't remember many embarrassing moments, and the ones I do remember, I don't feel embarrassed by anymore.
  • Everyone gets that, and it's as embarrassing as it was then, maybe less so. I think there's an idea that every time you remember something you're only remembering remembering the memory. So each time you recall something you're just recalling time you recalled it. It's a copy of a copy of a copy. Each time you copy it it's subject to change, so maybe that embarrassing memory is more embarrassing as the reality of the moment was.

# fuck you evolution!
  • ALL. THE. TIME.
    "A ship is safe in its harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” - William Shedd
  • I have this happen every couple of months, and it is triggered by randomly catching a OLD song that I was listening to at the time the incident happened.

And as soon as I hear whatever song it may be I feel how I felt, I remember it like it was only later that day. Sometimes I can even smell something that reminds me of that time even more.

I also have this happen but it does not bring me back to embarrassing moments, just brings me back to the time, what I was doing , who was around etc....

So now that you raised this question OP this has me thinking...

For me when I take shrooms now that I am older every trip is a HUGE learning experience and a time of understanding of things both in the now and past.

So what if I setup where my next trip a bunch of music but music that is old and that brings me back to bad or shit times that still are in my head, so when I trip I will listen to each song and force the incident out of myself by using the understanding and learning experience I get out of the trip, so that I can close some things that still are in my head.

Sorry if this went OT but how I type/reply is like I am talking and this is what came to my head.

Uro
    Uro Chesia
    Herding Belgian Blue Cows, Goldfish & You !
  • Yes. I often find myself doing this:
    Post edited by usernames_are_hard at 2012-02-29 08:26:32
    Feel free to join some of us at http://tinychat.com/dtfh
  • Those kinds of thoughts are a good barometer of where your mind is on the ladder.
  • Nah, fuck that shit. I get embarassed about stuff that happened recently (like playing a shitty show or being awkward in front of everyone, all the time...everyday) but not about old shit.
  • Almond said:

Those kinds of thoughts are a good barometer of where your mind is on the ladder.

Jacob's ladder?
  • I often find myself remembering situations where I said the complete wrong thing and hurting someone else in one way or another. I feel the best thing to do is to apologise to that person no matter how trivial or long ago it was.
    Something has got to give.
  • I get those almost everyday. Here's an accurate representation of my face when it happensimage
  • temper tantrums in school in like the 4th grade and shit like that haunt me
    Nong
  • I sometimes cringe and find myself expelling an "argh" usually at the most random of times, a thought suddenly pops into my head, generally about those times of uncontrollably making up some story to some sober girl, to try and make myself sound good, whilst my eyes are rolling around in my head and im gurning my lips off on Mdma.
  • Umm.. Since it's memory maybe one can alter it to make it a more hilarious retrospective daydream :)
    Nothing we can do about the past, future is uncertain, all we can do is live on the now.
  • cant even begin to count how many times this happens to me lol glad to know im not alone
    http://PodcastBits.net/
    Redban: Do you hunt?
    Iliza: No, my family is Jewish, we don't hunt.
    Redban: Oh, you hunt for bargains?
  • Yes! I have about 20-30 moments that are on rotation in my brain for some reason. I will get an embarrassment flashback/pang about once a day. It is such a weird thing that the brain does. The memories range from a few months ago to first grade, haha.
    Post edited by jackscoldsweat at 2012-02-29 00:18:15
  • i think there is something legitimate to the idea that you must suffer before being re-united with god... our shitty, embarrassing well full of bad memories from the first-world is what makes us what we are. to a level, self-loathing is healthy... & not just for comedy. if one has never had a moment of uncomfortable reflection, how will they know ever know themselves? they would probably turn out like that idiot kardashian brother

in short, yes
  • Wow, I had no idea this was such a common occurrence. Thanks for making feel a bit more normal.
  • I occasionally have flashbacks of an embarrassing L overdose incident that happened seven years ago. I took a heroic dose when I was drunk. bad idea.
  • Ya I had a bad trip one time that sent me through a walk of doucheness that I thought I had forgotten
    I always thought I'd rather be considered lucky than good.
    www.VideoGameRescue.com
  • dude, i get those everyday. augghghhh. why is embarrassment such a large part of what shapes you?
  • i think there is something legitimate to the idea that you must suffer before being re-united with god...
    in short, yes

I feel like allowing ourselves to be reminded of these things keeps us away from becoming one with god. If god is the eternal moment, either in positive or negative.
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • dude, i get those everyday. augghghhh. why is embarrassment such a large part of what shapes you?

Genetic survival.
  • I think these 'embarrassment flashbacks' are the things that formed everything that is wrong with us.
  • Hypnotics said:

I think these 'embarrassment flashbacks' are the things that formed everything that is wrong with us.

Either that or its an evolutionary trick to keep us from doing these embarrassing things again. Maybe before these were embarrassment flashbacks they were flashbacks of almost getting eaten by a tiger. Intermittent reminders of what situations to avoid.
    Post edited by jackscoldsweat at 2012-02-29 23:09:28
  • daily...
  • Hypnotics said:

I think these 'embarrassment flashbacks' are the things that formed everything that is wrong with us.

Either that or its an evolutionary trick to keep us from doing these embarrassing things again. Maybe before these were embarrassment flashbacks they were flashbacks of almost getting eaten by a tiger. Intermittent reminders of what situations to avoid.

And the point is, some of it is still evolutionarily useful, especially for fuckheads who don't know how to be cool with people in general. However, in a society of a high amount social coordination in order to function, a lot of the embarrassment memories are maladaptive, for the reasons some of yall previously mentioned. Which is a pretty fucking big argument for introducing mushrooms and MDMA into psychiatric treatment.

Psychedelics are neuroscience's god send and "those fuckers" won't let them use it.
  • All the fucking time. Then I mutter strings of incoherent babbling to drown it out.
  • I try to interrupt the thought with a "Stop! This happened 20 years ago. Nobody else would even remember it" statement. Helps a bit making the absurd more obvious.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!