The Official Djent Appreciation Thread (fucking amazing drum machine included!!)
  • Does anyone have one of these machines? They are usually used for dubstep and such but in this video this guy seems to be riffing an awesome realistic sounding drum beat...which gives me high hope for collaboration with other talented musicians around the planet in making incredible sounding music. I have heard a lot of Djent songs are created with drum machines, there is also dispute in the general metal community as to whether this sort of technology will eventually kill off real metal?

For those who don't know what Djent is:

Djent, also known as djent metal, is a heavy metal music subgenre that emerged as a spin-off from progressive metal. Coined by Fredrik Thordendal of the band Meshuggah in the early 2000s, the term was popularized through the internet by American guitarist Misha Mansoor, founder of Periphery. The word "djent" is an onomatopoeia for the distinctive high-gain, distorted palm-muted guitar sound employed by Meshuggah. Typically, the word is used to refer to music that makes use of this sound, to the sound itself, or to the scene that revolves around it.

Post edited by Lucifer-TheLightBearer at 2012-06-11 11:32:26
    No one likes the guy at the party who tells everyone the whole thing is running on blood. - Rokazulu
  • Apocaloptimist1
    I'm a Troll. Don't Feed Me.
    I play an 8 string and love heavy stuff. I'd be a Periphery freak if they'd record some instrumental stuff. Also, Animals as Leaders blows my mind! I'm all setup to record some stuff but I suck at drums so I'm kind of waiting to find someone to collaborate online with. I even setup a dropbox account just for this.

I'll have to check that drum machine thingy out!
    Anti-Profit Permaculture Campgrounds for Creative Minds!
    http://www.CampExist.org

• I'm a huge animals as leaders fan too, and a devout Meshuggah disciple. I took some time to look into this "djent" genre a bit more after seeing a lot of ridiculous back and forth YouTube commentary. I can see where the contention lies because some of those other bands that pigeon-hole themselves as "djent" are dog shit.
  • By the way, Meshuggah's 'Catch 33' album uses entirely programmed drums. The drum machine is the Toontrack - EZdrummer 'Drumkit From Hell'. I bought it a while beck to fiddle around with. It's not cheap though.
  • mdd0127 said:

I play an 8 string and love heavy stuff. I'd be a Periphery freak if they'd record some instrumental stuff. Also, Animals as Leaders blows my mind! I'm all setup to record some stuff but I suck at drums so I'm kind of waiting to find someone to collaborate online with. I even setup a dropbox account just for this.

I'll have to check that drum machine thingy out!

Hey I've got a bit of a recording setup too, I don't have an 8 string but I dig the sound. I've got a couple of 6 strings and the drum machine. I'd be more than happy to dust off the MIDI controller and have a jam. Send me a PM or something if you're keen.

• By the way, Meshuggah's 'Catch 33' album uses entirely programmed drums. The drum machine is the Toontrack - EZdrummer 'Drumkit From Hell'. I bought it a while beck to fiddle around with. It's not cheap though.

Have you recorded any results from it? I would fucking love to hear it man...it seems a lot of bands are going the drum machine root, it's just so much cheaper and sounds just as good.

Periphery is an amazing band and I just heard a new song of their recently that will blow your socks off unfortunately I can't remember the title. But apparently they also record with a drum machine from time to time.
    No one likes the guy at the party who tells everyone the whole thing is running on blood. - Rokazulu
  • Djent bands I like, Ever Forthright (one of the best albums I have ever heard), TesseracT, and more with videos to follow.

Also, I love many things with djenty elements to it, I think its a slightly stale genre until it is combined with other genres.
    Here we all feel alive, Here we use our minds, Let us form together, Use our minds, Recreate, redesign Here forever
    With a new world in our hands We will gain control
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    I got the Drumkit From Hell as well. It's nicely pre-mixed for this kind of music but generally I prefer using Ezdrummer's basic rock kit which i trigger with an Alesis USB pro kit.

I use it on this recording:

• Have you guys heard the new Periphery song?

• Have you recorded any results from it? I would fucking love to hear it man...

I recorded this right after I got the kit to test it out. It's all pretty raw and the levels are all off but you get the idea. The drums can be humanised a lot more and I did a fair bit of copy-pastery which was as much effort as I could be bothered with for a trial run. It's not Djent either; just mucking around.

http://www.itemvn.com/song/-ANFYC-outro-attempt-/FFB9A7A4AE

• Apocaloptimist1

Have you recorded any results from it? I would fucking love to hear it man...

I recorded this right after I got the kit to test it out. It's all pretty raw and the levels are all off but you get the idea. The drums can be humanised a lot more and I did a fair bit of copy-pastery which was as much effort as I could be bothered with for a trial run. It's not Djent either; just mucking around.

http://www.itemvn.com/song/-ANFYC-outro-attempt-/FFB9A7A4AE

That is freaking awesome. I almost head banged into my oatmeal!

• Apocaloptimist1

Have you guys heard the new Periphery song?

Awesome music! I still can't stand the whiny singer most of the time though. He sounds like a girl trying to be hardcore. Like In This Moment or something. At 2:40 in though, he sings in his normal voice and it actually sounds pretty cool. I guess that whiny, emo sounding stuff is in and they're probably selling records because of it. He's really good at what he does....just makes me want to turn it off or teach him how to weld or something....
    I bet there are lots of high school girls and skinny little sad dudes that couldn't change a tire if their lives depended on it at their shows...not that there's anything wrong with that....

• this band started as a one man band the ep was recorded with Drumkit from Hell, for the album a full band and ex perpihery drummer was hired, it is also based on the movie Event Horizon And the vocals sound like Sam Kinison.
    Post edited by NHEL_XXL at 2012-06-13 20:50:56

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!