What's your current contender for AOTY?
  • Mines Dope Body's Natural history
    Post edited by Joulmaster at 2012-06-01 04:39:49
    Human history is not the battle of good struggling to overcome evil. It is a battle fought by a great evil, struggling to crush a small kernel of human kindness. But if what is human in human beings has not been destroyed even now, then evil will never conquer.
  • Sadly, i haven't heard mine yet.
    Fencesitter, eternal spoil sport.
  • Jack Whites solo album, gonna be hard to bump from my number 1. Except maybe if Queens of the Stone Age actually release a new album this year.

• so far, I like lots from:
    Julian Cope - Psychedelic Revolution
    Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral
    Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
    Can - Tago Mago 40th Reissue
    Eyes that have seen will know what I mean - Todd Rundgren
  • The best album i've heard this year came out about 25 years ago. It's Kate Bush- Hounds of love. Its fucking great. The best albums tend to make me feel very awkward at first. It took me a bit to understand the minutiae of this album but once i did and began to understand the vocabulary, and colors of its universe i fell in love with it. Now, i hear bits of it in a lot of modern bands such as the Dirty Projectors or Xiu Xiu. I think that even five years ago i couldn't have gotten it, but i think that as one gets older they start to listen to music in different ways and things that you previously couldn't have seen yourself liking start to make sense.

Another great album i found this year is The Cure- Connect the Dots, which is a collection of b-sides. So many gems that never made it to a full release. Especially this one.

• Good call on the Kate Bush; I love Cloudbusting. Interesting you said it made you feel awkward at first, i think that's the telltale sign of good art. It's also awesome to see what bands today pick up from artists like Bush.... gotta have respect for the greats.

I'm also pretty unsure so far, I think I have more to listen to and wait for. It's been an interesting 6 months in music so far..... nothing super stand out for me as of now except a few mixtapes and EPs..

But I've got to say I've been really into Bill Withers- Just As I Am. Its so easy to listen to and almost every song is gold.
  • @drunkenadama thanks for posting that kate bush song.. interesting song! I can feel the energy in the song.
    PS. just started watching battlestar galactica, I'm getting your username a little more :)
  • To the OP.. I haven't heard mine either yet.. I'll have to do a little research and get up to date with all thats dropped this year.
  • Agree with Blunderbuss. JW scores again.

Looking forward to the revamped Old Crow Medicine Show lineup and their new album in July. I'm sure it will be a strong contender for AOTY
  • @zachs my pleasure. I have to warn anyone that might delve into her stuff that much of her work has a cheesiness that is really hard to stomach, especially her first album. Battlestar is the best!

Also, I think my album of the year (as far as an album that came out this year) might be Liars-WIXIW. I like what i'm hearing so far. Very reminiscent of Kid A.
    Post edited by DrunkenAdama at 2012-06-04 15:34:47
  • Kindness - World, You Need A Change Of Mind

Post edited by Cetra at 2012-06-04 22:24:11

• Right now it's the new Melvins album, but I know once the new Swans album drops it will blow everything else away.
  • Diggin that kate bush too, 80's slow synth seems to be making a real comeback which is weird, because I remember thinking that sound was fake and weak like 8 years ago but now, NOW, Something clicked and emotional synth laden pop makes me feel infinite and empowered and insightfull. Wonder what happened to us all....
    Human history is not the battle of good struggling to overcome evil. It is a battle fought by a great evil, struggling to crush a small kernel of human kindness. But if what is human in human beings has not been destroyed even now, then evil will never conquer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!