Mars Colonization
  • A friend just posted this on Facebook:

http://mars-one.com/

Not sure if trolling.
    The future ahead of us is beyond our wildest imaginings. It can't be any other way. Business as usual is off the menu.
  • KHAN
    Owsla

Paul Römer is the co-creator and very first producer of the national and international versions of ‘The Big Donor Show’ and the phenomenon that is ‘Big Brother’

Writer Mary Roach has sold over one million books worldwide, and has been published in 26 languages. She deals with unique and intriguing topics, approaching them with a mix of curiosity, skepticism and humor.

Prof. dr. ’t Hooft is a Nobel Prize winner with a long record of accomplishments and honors. He has also been awarded the Spinozapremie

Spinozapremie? Let me google that for you.

My guess? Viral marketing or bait for some sort of reality or hidden camera show.
  • Thanks for the link @Klorptar ;)

It's nice to see initiative like that. With SpaceX Dragon returning to earth. Google wanting to mine asteroid and people wanting to build the Enterprise. It seem that space exploration become more and more popular, cheap and mainstream. At least the attention for it. And it's not really cheap but slowly it becoming accessible to more range of people and entity.
  • KHAN said:

My guess? Viral marketing or bait for some sort of reality or hidden camera show.

Damn, I just double check the fact and that sound more likely. I hope it's not their project seem nice.
  • Questions of legitimacy aside, do you think it would be possible by 2023?
    The future ahead of us is beyond our wildest imaginings. It can't be any other way. Business as usual is off the menu.
  • Klorptar said:

Questions of legitimacy aside, do you think it would be possible by 2023?

Giving the current state of technology, I would say, yes it's possible. But only if we make it happen.
  • guestwho said:

Thanks for the link @Klorptar ;)

It's nice to see initiative like that. With SpaceX Dragon returning to earth. Google wanting to mine asteroid and people wanting to build the Enterprise. It seem that space exploration become more and more popular, cheap and mainstream. At least the attention for it. And it's not really cheap but slowly it becoming accessible to more range of people and entity.

This new mainstream movement kinda makes me think
    one day will there be a theme park on the moon? Disney probly already designed blueprints
    Post edited by bummerhigh at 2012-05-31 23:06:20
    "It's blue cheese dressing or go fuck your mother"
  • @ItsLeeOwen Well, you have to do something with all that waste in space.
  • I don't think a project of that scale can be pulled off in 10 years. I'd be rooting for them though
  • I'd be totally rooting for them too, but in addition to the logistical problems, there's human physiological ones too. For one, it would take, roughly 3 months to get there, during which time the people would have to be stuck in a tiny space pod or whatever the means of conveyance. I don't think they've done psychological tests on people (may be wrong) to test what will happen. Also, being in space for that time would wreak havoc on human bodies. I'm interested to hear whether or not they have plans to address any of those problems. I'm sure there's people far smarter than I working on it.
  • An interesting thought is how would people evolve if they were living in zero gravity or completely different enviorment like mars. In a few thousand years they may be unrecognizable as humans
    "It's blue cheese dressing or go fuck your mother"
  • Don't you think we'll populate bio-sphere satellites prior to colonizing the moon or mars?
  • Google "Biosphere 2". Something like that.
  • Post edited by KHAN at 2012-06-01 16:41:04
  • if this is real, then it is one of the most inspiring and amazing things i have seen in a long time
    STEAM:CTHULUTAUR--BLIZZARD:CTHULUTAUR#1837--TWITTER:@FUCKYRICKY--NOWFUTURE.TK
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    May 30, 2012

Today, writer Mary Roach has agreed to become an ambassador of Mars One.

"It's "Jersey Shore" meets NASA meets "American Idol". This might just work!" - Mary Roach

http://mars-one.com/mars-one-news/239-mary-roach-ambassador-of-mars-one

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!