We are now working with Audible
  • duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah
    So we just became part of the Audible associates program which means that if you go to audibletrial.com/familyhour and sign up you get a free month of audible and one free audiobook download. It also means that they give us $15 per sign up which is pretty awesome.

I've been a member of Audible for a few months and the reason I signed up is for the Dark Tower series which is the most absorbing and amazing audiobook that I have ever listened to. The guy reading it sounds like Clint Eastwood and it's my favorite thing to listen to when I get stoned and do cardio.

If you're interested here is the link:

Post edited by duncan at 2012-05-29 11:20:21
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    Nice! Can't wait to hear the commercials for these. Maybe don't let the pig do 'em this time.
  • I did this through Aisha Tyler's podcast, looks like I need to do it again under a new identity
    Here we all feel alive, Here we use our minds, Let us form together, Use our minds, Recreate, redesign Here forever
    With a new world in our hands We will gain control
  • duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah
    I think everyone may have already signed up for this through some other thing, but let's see how it does for a few episodes.
  • That's the beauty of it Duncan I have multiple cards and they give no fucks beyond that haha
    Here we all feel alive, Here we use our minds, Let us form together, Use our minds, Recreate, redesign Here forever
  • duncanduncan
    El-ahrairah
    Solidus said:

That's the beauty of it Duncan I have multiple cards and they give no fucks beyond that haha

AWESOME!
  • @Duncan if I may make a suggestion or three if you have read......heard.... them Jurassic Park and the Lost World, and Scar Tissue as I am all about that book at the moment. Also good to know Dark Tower is on there, been getting hounded to read that series.
  • PrezzPrezz
    Hrair
    ladychef said:

Yay!! More commercials! @duncan, that might be my favorite thing about your corner of the multiverse. You turned the shittiest part of the mainstream multiverse into the best part of yours! Lead into gold, my brother.

This.

• im going to use this to fall asleep to... then try to find out the next day where i lost consciousness and warped into my dream life.

shit. i dont use credit/debit cards. gas, grass, or ass.... or cash
    Post edited by GhostScience at 2012-05-29 15:55:22

• sitarsitar
    Hrair
    I used my free book to get the keith richards autobiography, read by johnny depp. good shit.
    Mr. Takahashi would like to see you all in his office now

sitaramdas.com
    @sitaramdas
  • @sitar you have to let me know how that is sir!
  • Soupy
    Hrair
    Got 12 hours of Alan Watts. Thanks!
  • CetraCetra
    Hrair
    i don't know what to get. something psychedelic/scientific i imagine is what i feel like getting but that art for the dark tower series looks awesome, i may have to get the first in the series
  • sitarsitar
    Hrair
    well, so far its hilarious. the stones get into trouble down south with a trunk full of drugs, i won't spoil it. how will these wacky kids get out of this mess?
    Mr. Takahashi would like to see you all in his office now

sitaramdas.com
    @sitaramdas
  • I'm a longtime Audible member and I can wholeheartedly give my recommendation - sign up Popes! Seriously, awesome service, awesome products.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I will meet you there." Rumi
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    Fingerprints of the Gods is the new DTFH book club selection. Pick it as your free download!
    Post edited by KHAN at 2012-06-01 10:05:49
  • uiuuiu
    Hrair
    Get the audio bible that is narrated by Michael York. It's 90 hours long and has about 500 actors doing voice overs, sound effects and a music score. It sounds like a movie.
  • The first three books of A Song of Ice and Fire (game of thrones) is AMAZING on Audiobook read by Roy Dotrice. Books 4 and 5 were recorded a while later, and Roy changes the accents and pronunciations of some of the characters, so that got a bit on my nerves.
    Harry Potter on audiobook is also incredible. Read by the english guy, not the american.
  • I just signed up for the free trial. Hopefully this means that I have magically spawned green energy that will flow to the duncan trussell family hour sceptre of guest meals.
  • Consider The Lobster - David Foster Wallace
    Sex At Dawn - Christopher Ryan
    Enjoys camaraderie, fellowship, and bringing it. https://twitter.com/JahHills
  • I just signed up for the free trial. Hopefully this means that I have magically spawned green energy that will flow to the duncan trussell family hour sceptre of guest meals.

Same here :)
  • KHAN said:

Fingerprints of the Gods is the new DTFH book club selection. Pick it as your free download!

Don't do this! The audible version is heavily abridged! Bummer!
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    Too late. How much/what is missing?
  • I'm not sure, I did it too. Apparently the real book is like 600 pages and the audiobook is only 3 hours.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    Maybe the difference is mostly photos.
  • piezopiezo
    Ternary
    Maybe the book uses a really big font.
  • It may not be abridged. Just got my copy of the book, and it's 578 pages, with the last 75 pages being references. The photos are not counted as numbered pages, but it has huge print.
  • The Audible version of FOTG is abridged. It is in the download description. I haven't read the whole book yet so I can't say how much is missing. I would imagine that the audiobook gives the basic ideas and probably cuts out the details, references, and evidence, along with pictures and maps and such...
  • This is pretty awesome, I've signed up and I finally have a chance to get "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running".
    "Ultimately, nothing in this life is “commonplace,” nothing is “in between.” The threads that join your every act, your every thought, are infinite. All paths of mastery eventually merge." - George Leonard
  • this is good thread....can people post suggestions
    @mysterybuddha
    www.suredesigntshirts.com
  • can somebody explain this service to me? i feel like i dont understand. so you pay monthly, but then you get a 'free book'? i dont understand how its free if im paying monthly. do i get to listen to as many books as i want? or am i just basically agreeing that i will pay 8 dollars a month for an audio book? am i missing something here?

i understand i get the 1st book completely free, but after that what is the actual service they offer? an audiobook a month for 8 bucks, or do i get to listen to as much as i want? if its where i listen to as much as i want i get it, but if its not im not understanding the value.
    Post edited by Cthulutaur at 2012-06-07 17:44:25
    STEAM:CTHULUTAUR--BLIZZARD:CTHULUTAUR#1837--TWITTER:@FUCKYRICKY--NOWFUTURE.TK
  • It's a bit of a weird subscription system, there's the monthly fee with gold and platinum that changes how many 'credits' (books) you can get included in the fee per month, as well as a % discount. I think you can just buy audiobooks at full price without being a member, but not sure.
    "Ultimately, nothing in this life is “commonplace,” nothing is “in between.” The threads that join your every act, your every thought, are infinite. All paths of mastery eventually merge." - George Leonard
  • hmmm. well ill sign up just to help out the family but i cant see sticking with it. just doesnt really make sense to me. i will check out audible if i need to buy an audiobook in the future too but making the commitment to get an audiobook every month just isn't for me. too many podcasts to go around right now. i cant even possibly ingest all the content that is thrown at me as it is.
    STEAM:CTHULUTAUR--BLIZZARD:CTHULUTAUR#1837--TWITTER:@FUCKYRICKY--NOWFUTURE.TK
  • hmmm. well ill sign up just to help out the family but i cant see sticking with it. just doesnt really make sense to me. i will check out audible if i need to buy an audiobook in the future too but making the commitment to get an audiobook every month just isn't for me. too many podcasts to go around right now. i cant even possibly ingest all the content that is thrown at me as it is.

agreed. couldnt really figure out the benefit, other than giving $15 toDTFH and a free book...did it, but probably wont stick with it. Unless I'm missing something. Which i usually do.
    But signing up to get the $15 to DTFH seemed worthy of the effort.

@mysterybuddha
  • ok my bank has been charged $24.95AUD from doing exactly this.....hmmm. well ill sign up just to help out the family but i cant see sticking with it. just doesnt really make sense to me. i will check out audible if i need to buy an audiobook in the future too but making the commitment to get an audiobook every month just isn't for me. too many podcasts to go around right now. i cant even possibly ingest all the content that is thrown at me as it is.

agreed. couldnt really figure out the benefit, other than giving $15 toDTFH and a free book...did it, but probably wont stick with it. Unless I'm missing something. Which i usually do.
    But signing up to get the $15 to DTFH seemed worthy of the effort.

thats one reason i can think of for not doing it...

normally i may be able to afford this small amount.. but right now it will make me incurr further fees and delay my rent payment..... zombies whores vampires devils and crooks... may they all swallow a thorny apple!!
  • hey you beast from beneath the dark watery neverness.... did you get charged for your free month.... ?? and did you purchase a "free audio book" man this shit is a fuckin scam.. i did the pod cast but i dont wanna be fucked in the ass for trying to find a free way to support it. Kuntzz!!
  • wtf? so confused...its FREE to join for the first month. period.
    @mysterybuddha
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    I wasn't charged shit. @dayzer0 you fucked up somewhere.
  • Another family member who signed up. Enjoy your sweet, sweet, green paper love ray. Question. Now that I downloaded Fingerprints of the Gods, can I quit and you'll still get your $$$$? It seems crazy they'll pay you for me to be a member five minutes, get a book and cancel. I almost feel like I should listen to the book first, I guess, so you look good...???
    photo lao-tzu-field1copysmall.jpg
  • Just signed up!

Downloaded "The Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang.
    Post edited by amisconception at 2012-06-15 15:10:25
  • I just finished reading my first Stephen King book (Skeleton Crew- a short story collection) and decided to get the Dark Tower audible on Duncan's recommendation. And holy shit. I'm about halfway done with the audio book and its fucking incredible. I am already pretty certain that I'm gonna have to check out the rest of the series.
    I had never used an audio book before and have began using this one as I go for a run. Its been pretty common for me to lose track of the story about once every couple minutes. So I have to rewind it a few seconds every few minutes. Hopefully I'll get more used to it and try to stop my mind from drifting so much.
    "We might be overlooking one of the biggest tools we've ever had for evolving and developing our mind...we might have a symbiotic relationship on this Earth with certain plants that we've made illegal. We might need them." -Rogan
    Never Stop Learning.
  • Just signed up.
    Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see and hear. Since the initial publication of the charted electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one millionth of reality.
  • Be sure to cancel before your trial ends or they'll start charging to your credit card
  • hup
    Post edited by MagicMouth at 2013-12-29 09:27:35
  • now addicted to audible. sigh.
    @mysterybuddha
  • AngGAngG
    Hrair
    Just signed up, took long enough for me to do it! Looking forward choosing my free audiobook.
  • Well damn, they took $15 out of my account and overdrafted my broke ass...
    Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see and hear. Since the initial publication of the charted electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one millionth of reality.
  • I know nothing when it comes to books so it was hard to know what catagory of book to try. I liked the Gunslinger but it wasn't doing it for me. My 2nd book on audible was Ender's Game it was more up my alley. I guess it was the outerspace setting that I liked. I wanted sci fi but I wasn't into the feel of the desert. Apparently the author is a chick fila kinda guy though :/
    I'm on my cell, no puter so pls don't be mad at my shit for grammar @crystal_muff on Twitter
  • Done! I couldnt say no when I saw they had the unabridged Helliconia Trilogy by Brian Aldiss. Aw yisss
  • Finally signed up through Duncan's link and downloaded The Gunslinger. @duncan did you have a problem with it playing out of only one side of your headphones?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!