Does other people smoking cigarettes annoy or affect you if your a non smoker?
  • Shoey
    Hrair
    I'm a smoker, I like smoking and I believe it enhances my life greatly, it can take the edge of life when it get stressful and a herbal remedy isn't available. However with Duncan and Rogan's constant hatred for smoking and smokers I feel the need to ask the family if it annoys the non smokers. Because if im smoking a ciggy in an open space like outdoors I can't see how it affects anyone else... Please help me family
  • YOU
    Hrair
    To some people, that cigarette smoke smell is as disgusting as the rancid beer farts of a lactose intolerant geriatric the day after he got so drunk that he drank a gallon of milk on a dare.

Health-conscious people like Rogan who have a distaste for 'weakness' will hate on you because it's not 'good' in their minds to be that 'weak' or to be that blind to the health effects. For that kind of person to self-identify as a good, health-conscious person, they literally need a target that they can use to recharge that self-identification. They have to manifest this outwardly or those images of self-identification can't persist in the mind. So they need a target and sometimes you're that target.

Not everyone has a dislike of smoke or smokers for the same reasons. I can think of a few more reasons I've seen people hate on smokers off the top of my head, but it's not the same for everybody.
    Post edited by YOU at 2012-05-22 11:26:30
  • Also a smoker and interested to see what the hive thinks about this subject.

YOU said:

To some people, that cigarette smoke smell is as disgusting as the rancid beer farts of a lactose intolerant geriatric the day after he got so drunk that he drank a gallon of milk on a dare.

Though to smokers like myself and Shoey, it smells like the queef of an angel.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-05-22 08:38:03
    "I got stuck in a cravarse on the moun-tain."
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla
    I've been around smokers all my life. My mom and my band mates in particular.

My mom, with her pack-a-day habit, did a great job of making me dislike cigarettes at a young age. So I have never tried one nor do I have any desire to.

I'm not vocal about it, If you light up near me I won't say anything or complain but truth be known I really dislike cigarettes. The smell hangs around in clothing and fabrics for days. Even holding one for a friend makes me want to wash my hands after. The worst is when your exiting the subway station and someone is lighting up even before they get up the stairs. Walking behind or standing downwind of a smoker in the street is also annoying. I'm all for personal freedom. Smoke em if you got em, I'll be somewhere else.

If you see Buddha on the forum, ban him.
  • Smoking is generally a bad idea since there is no argument it degenerates your health and causes cancer (not really up for debate). My cousins both smoke but they're kind enough to go outside when we're hanging out, I'll even join them. Smoking indoors is gross, and leaves a NASTY smell that coats a room, but that isn't as common anymore. If someone is smoking outside I don't really care, but it sucks when someone has to leave every 20-30 min to go out and smoke too. So in general, bad habit.
    The resistance to the technocratic military industrial complex begins Off-Grid
    http://mindcomics.com/OffGrid.html
  • MK667MK667
    Hrair
    Even if you're standing outside smoking it can still effect people that are out there. It still drifts towards people. Most heavy smokers get used to the smell and forget how strong it is. It stinks up peoples clothes, makes some people cough. I'm pretty conscious about where i'm smoking and which way it's going, I know people hate it so i try and keep it out of everyone's face.
  • YOU
    Hrair
    ladychef said:

@YOU would say that I'm a hater looking for hate-objects, and who knows, maybe I am, but I haven't met a serious smoker who defies these generalizations yet, so...

I wouldn't say that at all.

I'd say you're free to say that I'd say that's why you would say it.
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla
    I would say there is some truth to the smoker stereotype as far as shared habits. For example; every cigarette smoker I know, without exception, wants to quit. It's an ongoing battle for them.

I would even go so far to say there might be a definite/predicable smoker personality type, but of my friends who are smokers, some of them don't fit the type.
  • fnordfnord
    Hrair
    some people just like to smoke... it doesn't always have to be about being weak or having a deep-seated sense of self loathing.

do what you want to do as long as you're not hurting anyone else. and you're NOT, if you're smoking outside. for fucks sake people, it ain't hurting you so give smokers a break!!!
    sunt lacrimae rerum
  • It's almost like watching a slow suicide. The idea of having to watch someone close to you consciously (or not very) harm their bodies and all those in the vicinity of their smoke halo is very painful.

It's good here on the other side: our lungs work.
    we don't hack up shit.
    we still see the humor in Bill Hicks.

If you need that relaxation or flood of endorphins, go run or do yoga.
  • ^^i agree there are so many other things to do to fill that feeling that cigarettes give you .
    It's weird because I can't stand actual cigarettes/cigarette smoke.
    But I am guilty of putting tabaco in my weed.
    I don't understand how people smoke cigarettes so openly around other non-smokers . It's like in their mind everyone smokes , and everyone likes the smell.
    It's a persons right to choose , I just wish they wouldn't stand next to me while they smoke.
  • How many of you are obese? It kills just as many, if not more than smoking. Close to 70% of American adults are obese. Its preventable and offends me, so I'm gonna be like @ladychef and consider you weak and only looking out for yourself. Do yoga instead of eating. Fatty. Never mind that it is clearly something wrong with our society and food causing this.

And never mind that smoking is, allegedly, the toughest substance to quit in the world. Worse then heroin and not everyone on this planet have buddha minds or care about consciousness. Some of those people just smoke to relax, especially during and after the soul crushing existence that can be this modern world.

My point can be summed up with two words. Love. Empathy.
    photo lao-tzu-field1copysmall.jpg
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla
    I consider myself a smoker. But I don't smoke cigarettes. Sacred plant and I own a hookah and love to sit, smoke and talk if a guest is inclined. I like the hookah bar experience as well.

Cigarette smoking is it's own animal and can't be compared to other things like fatness or baldness. It's closer to someone who makes it a point to eat foods that will immediately make them fart noxious fumes.

Interesting to note, the term "blow smoke in the air", means to be boasting without being able to back it up. The term relates to magicians using smoke and mirrors. I wonder if it also has an origin related to the "cool guy" impression to a person masking severe anxiety.

• ByronByron
    Hrair
    I smoke and enjoy it immensely. The only reason why I would want to quit is because so many people give me shit for smoking; in a way, I would be weak willed if I quit for that reason! I go through only two packs a week, so I'm not worried.

• Nah, I survived cancer at 18 and all my little friends still smoke. I kinda enjoy the smell honestly. Plus it covers the weed smell when the cops roll by :)
  • ladychef said:

How many of you are obese? It kills just as many, if not more than smoking. Close to 70% of American adults are obese. Its preventable and offends me, so I'm gonna be like @ladychef and consider you weak and only looking out for yourself. Do yoga instead of eating. Fatty. Never mind that it is clearly something wrong with our society and food causing this.

And never mind that smoking is, allegedly, the toughest substance to quit in the world. Worse then heroin and not everyone on this planet have buddha minds or care about consciousness. Some of those people just smoke to relax, especially during and after the soul crushing existence that can be this modern world.

My point can be summed up with two words. Love. Empathy.

Obviously, on a human being to human being level, empathy is the thing. I don't think smokers are bad people, I personally just want to surround myself with people who have made it off the lowest rungs of the self-control ladder. Being a functional person takes skill, and being a slave to compulsions- especially ones that negatively affect other people- reflects a lack of skill at the game of life.

On a practical level, I'm not a fan of prohibition, but I think cigarettes should cost $30 a pack, and a can of Coke should cost $10. All proceeds go to underwrite a national health plan.

Edit: and to address the difficulty of kicking cigarettes- I call bullshit. I smoked heavily from age 12-19 (ie- I quit as soon as I was old enough to know better), and when I quit, I was a sweaty, miserable mess for a few days. That's it. I've had hangovers that were worse.

Reasonable enough.

Now show me where second hand smoke actually affects the casual second hander. I'm not talking about someone that lives with a smoker, just someone on the street. Someone also breathing in toxic gas fumes.from passing cars. Oil fumes are known carcinogens. So do I not have the "right" to drive? Because it might give the constant walker cancer?

Life is a risk and smokers became easy targets and not necessarily the scourge portrayed. I will agree its a dumb and expensive habit, but so what?

People do all kinds of things on your imaginary lower rung, somethings aren't seen, because those people aren't propagandized to the negative effects.
  • I have a somewhat strange opinion of it. If I see someone smoking cigarettes, I generally think they are disgusting, especially if they are just normal big tobacco cigarettes. If someone is smoking a cigar, hookah, or pipe tobacco, I don't have much problem with it.

Maybe it doesn't make much sense, but if I see someone truly enjoying a quality tobacco, I don't mind, but chainsmoking marlboros or whatever chemical covered shit tobacco bothers me.
    एकम् सत् विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति
    That which exists is One, but sages call it by various names.
  • I'm not down with second hand smoke being up in my face but other than that it doesn't affect me much
    Nong
  • ladychef said:

@Hamsterfist- excellent call. I also find cars very objectionable, on aesthetic grounds, so I've arranged my life so that I don't have to be a slave to that nasty compulsion, either. You might not like my talk, but you can't say I don't walk it.

Isn't that all we can do? What's in our best interest, without judging others.

We disagree on this issue, but from what I've seen from you on this forum, I respect you very highly. I'm glad you didn't take our disagreement personally. :)

Did you listen to Rogan's latest cast with Michael Ruppert? Sure Rogan gave him shit for smoking, but he allowed it. Why? Because a little bit won't hurt you at all. Basically as the thread of that show said, Deal With It.
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla

Now show me where second hand smoke actually affects the casual second hander. I'm not talking about someone that lives with a smoker, just someone on the street. Someone also breathing in toxic gas fumes.from passing cars. Oil fumes are known carcinogens. So do I not have the "right" to drive? Because it might give the constant walker cancer?

Cars drive on roads. To avoid them, if you choose to, you can avoid high traffic areas. Smokers smoke everywhere outside in social areas. Besides, car fumes are the current unfortunate side effects of vehicles. People don't need to smoke, they choose to.

There is no practical comparison. You become a walking chimney for a few moments. It's not a health thing or a willpower thing. It's a weird relationship. It's like seeing someone with a visible parasite clinging to their face. A parasite that yellows their teeth and sweat, damages their sense of smell, gives them the shakes and becomes the relief for an ache it creates.
  • The one thing we're all forgetting here is how goddamn cool that smoking cigarettes makes you look. As repugnant as the smell may be, smoking still leaves an overwhelmingly positive impression on those around you, because you look so cool doing it.
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla
  • @Khan

I mostly agree, and yet I don't. I'm not trying to be a cunt about this at all!! But I still think cars add up. Ever walk through a parking lot? Or sat at a cafe (at least where I live the are generally in a parking lot or street side.) then you have breathed in an equally addictive product. Sure cars, oil and the damage they create are not necessarily on the individual level (outside of the possible cancer and death through wrecks), but cars are an addictive parasite on a societal level. Americans eventually would live without cigarettes, yet take away the overall worse cars and watch anarchy ensue. Because of this, doesn't that also highlight a personal and societal addiction?

Maybe I'm just seeing this wrong, and its because I just don't care 1% if someone does something that realistically doesn't change anything about me. I'm extremely liberal, but this seems like a plague on well meaning, good hearted, liberal people. Telling others what to do and making moral judgments about it, so you can protect their best interests. This same thought led to marijuana prohibition....

Maybe its just the anarchist/libertarian deep within. :)
  • But yeah @Khan, it is something I'd avoid. But so what? I'm NOT perfect and it seems unfair to take a high ground over someone else.
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla
    @hamsterfist I agree about cars. I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do, but I will give you feedback on how your habits affect me. I tend to avoid cigarette smokers like I avoid people with body odor. I wouldn't force them to wear deodorant either. Do with thou wilst with with that information.
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla
    Imagine if I walked around the street banging pots together and singing "if you wanna be my lover" at the top of my lungs, I wouldn't be hurting anyone either.
  • Thanks for sharing.

Still gonna smoke though, i guess i'm just a shitty person.

"I got stuck in a cravarse on the moun-tain."
  • ByronByron
    Hrair
    Not only should people not smoke; but they should also never drive cars or be around cars, live in the city, only eat food they grow or catch, never drink coffee, no candy (ever), no drinking (ever), never watch television or shows on the internet, no video games, and should seriously consider abstaining from sex because they are harmful to you.
  • ByronByron
    Hrair
    @Steve Me too. People want to judge; let em. I'm very much used to it. They're not gonna stop me from enjoying a nice Parliament.

It has a recessed filter.
    Post edited by Byron at 2012-05-22 19:24:20
  • I would never shit on some one for smoking or anything do what you want, But if i ever hear someone say anything like this
    Shoey said:

I'm a smoker, I like smoking and I believe it enhances my life greatly, it can take the edge of life when it get stressful

I cant help but think oh so your retarded then.

• Whenever I read something like this

I cant help but think oh so your retarded then.

I can't help but think, "No, YOU'RE retarded!"
  • lol @ this thread./........ i wish i had a cigarette

ANYWAY, the health and social arguments aren't the ones that get to me, it's the fact that they cost so damn much and you send all the money to the Conspiracy that got you hooked in the first place.

The lower-income smoker's paradox
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • Shoey
    Hrair
    I just like smoking, I like the taste, I like the feeling and after a bit the smell goes... If you don't like it fuck off :). I'm not hurting anyone else so therefore it shouldn't piss others off. Some people need to re-asses their view on life haha.... Take it easy life's too short to worry about money and living that extra 5 years, just have fun and enjoy life
  • KHANKHAN
    Owsla
    @shoey that's cool but you're like 20 years old. Come back after 10 years of smoking when you're 30 and have a shitload of bills to pay.
  • uiuuiu
    Hrair
    Cigarette smokers should switch to smoking pipes, they smell so much better and look much more fashionable (ok that last part is questionable). When I was a kid I remember there was this old guy who would smoke pipes at the lake I would swim at and I just loved that smell. I've always disliked cigarette stench.

• KHANKHAN
    Owsla
    I think I could get behind that.

• Let's combine the issues
    Post edited by KHAN at 2012-05-23 10:31:19
  • Sometimes it does look cool, I won't lie (it shouldn't look so cool, but the programmed conditioning is there. When cool people smoke it looks cool

But that is why the marketing industry put cigarettes into hollywood in a positive light.

It's still really gross looking in from the outside. I smoked in college for about a year and know where you smokers are coming from, because it is relaxing and what not, but looking back, FUCK it's nasty. It's just nasty. Cigs are COVERED in toxic chemicals and its coats everything when it flys around. If you don't smell it, it's because your sense of smell is dulled due to the smoke.

I don't hate people because they smoke, but I think it's fair to say it is a stupid habit to have. We all have dumb habits, some are very damaging to our quality of life in the long run (sitting at a computer all day is another example). So, I don't hate anyone who smokes, but I fucking hate cigarettes.

Any smokers want a hug? hehe
    Post edited by plaidklaus at 2012-05-23 10:37:26
  • MK667MK667
    Hrair
    ladychef said:

Obviously, on a human being to human being level, empathy is the thing. I don't think smokers are bad people, I personally just want to surround myself with people who have made it off the lowest rungs of the self-control ladder. Being a functional person takes skill, and being a slave to compulsions- especially ones that negatively affect other people- reflects a lack of skill at the game of life.

I think that it's pretty rough to say that people have little self control and are bad at life because they are indulging in an activity that you don't like or agree with. There are plenty of people out there who are functioning and smoke.

So after having the ability to not smoke, what defines your idea of self control? I'm wondering if i have any of them. I smoke and i always thought i was a person who had self control and decent life skills.

PS- This might be me taking a generalization personally :) Fuck it, lets talk about it.

Post edited by MK667 at 2012-05-23 11:09:39
  • Only when I have to smell their foul stench.
    "Ultimately, nothing in this life is “commonplace,” nothing is “in between.” The threads that join your every act, your every thought, are infinite. All paths of mastery eventually merge." - George Leonard
  • VMM
    Hrair
    It doesn't annoy me. Its much better that we've been convinced cigarettes are the devil, as opposed to when we were brainwashed into thinking they were cool, but most people who make a big deal about it are being mildly brainwashed nonetheless.

I was upset when my brother was a smoker, because I felt it was a poor decision, but as far as dealing with the smell etc I don't really care. Second-hand smoke wafting down the street is not a significant health hazard, and I believe other people have a right to smoke.

edit: There is one aspect that I find annoying, thegenerally accepted littering. It appears to be part of the smoking culture (in general) that for some reason the notion of not throwing your trash on the floor doesn't apply to cigarettes.
    Post edited by VMM at 2012-05-23 11:33:23
  • i no rite?

Post edited by KHAN at 2012-05-23 13:48:30
    Love is what occurs when the universe recognizes itself for what it is.
    owlsa support waned RIP orgone
  • Q: Does other people smoking cigarettes annoy or affect you if your a non smoker?
    A: Of course it does you selfish ignorant (choose your own disparaging attribute) fuck! You fuck face! You ass-hatted disgusting fat fuck! I don't know if you are fat but if you are good, i hope you fucking die. Fuck you!

Let me start/bring back 'round/clarify this Family Hour friendly rant by first pointing out that all my formative years were spent with smokers all up in my grill. I mean, all the way from pool halls and my parents' back deck to freshman year dorm room and party basements to rental properties and my car with the windows closed; its a way of life if you want to roll with heshers.

I don't remember anyone offering/encouraging/provoking me to smoke, it was always just, i guess, available, but i never partook. I never partoke. I learned i was allergic to smoke (also, bees, dust, shellfish) but these never bothered me much, and through it all, I learned to deal.

So here i am now, trying to be the best wage slave i can, and when a coworker i still revere confided in me she used to be at least a social-smoker, i said "of course you did...because you're a female, and you're weak, but that's cool" because that's how i feel about it. It's such a disgusting and pathetic habit, and every smoker knows it too but they're satisfied with the idea "it's just a habit", and i guess i agree, but that's not the question.

And while i reserve the right to call you names on the internet, in life i'm not really bothered by it. It's mostly sad. It's so fucking pathetic, and I truly want better for you, you're better than that, but I don't hope you die man. I take that back, but i must state i do/did have asthma (brought on by smoke? it's gone away now that i don't blaze and am not around smoky environments, so there's that).

I haven't read any of this thread yet (just felt like ranting), but if i didn't nail your position above, i'd like to predict your arguments and blast them:
    "it's not that bad"
    yes it is. fuck you.
    "it's a personal choice"
    so is killing drifters, but you know what they have in common? harming others.
    "we all have our vices"
    but the rest of us are trying to squash every last one of them, starting with the ones we have the power to control.
    "i'm an adult"
    all the more reason you should be responsible/brave/strong enough to quit that shit.
    "who are you to tell me what i can/can't do"
    when it fucks with me.

(here's a pdf of professional arguments, i'm just being belligerent)

In summary, brother/sister, if you want to improve yourself...that wasn't the question, my bad.

Does other people smoking cigarettes annoy or affect you if --you're-- a non smoker?

Yes, very much so, on both accounts. One intrinsically, i feel ill, but i can deal with it, extrinsically it says a little something about you. Not much. Not enough to overcome our friendship. Not enough to do anything really, but it's just one more medal of honor/shame to judge you by, but....

This brings me back to my overall point, which is that i try to/say i/honestly want the best for everyone, but not enough to do anything about it. As you age life will continue to become more difficult, and if i love you i want you to have every opportunity to achieve and better yourself, and if you've allowed the government to convince you that you should be proud to poison yourself, then good for you. Great for you. Hurry up and die.

No Fear? or Too addicted to care about myself!
    -either way

P.S. I appreciate you asking this question. i didn't mean to be a dick but this seems to me like such a no-brainer you need to get yelled at. And you might know it is too. Point is, smokers suck, and people are making fun of you, and you might/will die a more horribler death, and why wouldn't you give yourself the best chance possible. i'll go back and read the thread now, but it signals to me at least you are conscious of other people.
    P.P.S.I've only known one smoker to quit: my grandpa when he returned from the pacific theater and had a bevy of kids and grandma said "smoking has to stop", and he went cold turkey. "THAT'S A MAN!" but i don't know how deep his addiction was, but fuck he was an ARMY construction worker. 50's smokes had FAR FEWER addictive chemicals than they do now.
    @Shoey just to get your attention
    Post edited by jdirt2019 at 2012-05-24 19:17:28
  • You know how retarded it is to be walking in public and having some stupid asshole in front of you puffing on a cig and all the smoke going right in your face. Even if they are just standing the wind blows that shit towards me. Standing at the bus stop, gotta breath in your dumb poison. Fuck these people man, smoke all you want, just keep it the smoke away from me, what you cant wait for the fucking bus without sticking that dumb pacifier in your fucking face? Fucking demented addicts.
  • Smoking is disgusting and I don't want to be anywhere near smokers. I cannot control the direction of the wind any more than you can, so if you are smoking outside your smoke is likely to intrude on my good time even if I am actively trying to avoid you. (My mom smoked for the first 15 years of my life... heavily.)
    "the idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving" - Boat Car Guy
  • NaterNater
    Hrair
    @plaidklaus James Dean would have looked just as bad ass without the cigarette.

My parents smoke. If my friends started smoking I would probably try and get them to stop. I personally think soda is worse than cigarettes, I'm aiming to stop drinking soda completely. I used to be completely ignorant to what I put in my body, now I find myself aware of what I'm doing to my body when I eat/drink something terrible.
    A few months back I decided to stop my soda intake altogether, a few days later I started feeling depressed, lethargic, and tired. I thought " what the fuck is wrong with me"? A few hours of research later and I found out how intense caffiene/sugar addiction is. It's a big vampire of mine. When a coke is cheaper than a bottle of water in America I have to wonder exactly how low protecting the people is on our Government's priority list. On the other hand, it is completely my fault for drinking the stuff.
  • I recently started dating a female who's a smoker. I've always hated smoking, walking near it is worse than walking into an inner city public restroom. I'm an 8/10 on the whole health conscious level. I started dragging from her cigarette here and there just so her scent doesn't bother me. Granted, she's fairly good at not smelling like smoke, but I refuse to go into her car.

She's well aware I share the same views as Rogan/Trussell, and has even listened to those podcasts. She claims she always likes the easy way out, so I presume she won't have the willpower to quit. We agreed to start eating healthy/exercising every day starting next Monday. She claims once we get into that routine that she'll slowly taper off cigarettes. If she lacks the willpower to eat healthy/exercise for a month or two, I'll likely have to inform her she's a vampire, then stab her in the chest with a silver cross.
    25 / M / Southern NH - Video Editor / MMA / Provider of Euphoria
  • NaterNater
    Hrair

I recently started dating a female who's a smoker. I've always hated smoking, walking near it is worse than walking into an inner city public restroom. I'm an 8/10 on the whole health conscious level. I started dragging from her cigarette here and there just so her scent doesn't bother me. Granted, she's fairly good at not smelling like smoke, but I refuse to go into her car.

She's well aware I share the same views as Rogan/Trussell, and has even listened to those podcasts. She claims she always likes the easy way out, so I presume she won't have the willpower to quit. We agreed to start eating healthy/exercising every day starting next Monday. She claims once we get into that routine that she'll slowly taper off cigarettes. If she lacks the willpower to eat healthy/exercise for a month or two, I'll likely have to inform her she's a vampire, then stab her in the chest with a silver cross.

She's going to be a vampire for not becoming the thing you want her to be even though you entered the relationship fully aware of her behavior?
    @creamyhole. You are a lovely person and a member of the family so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    Even if the changes you want her to make are healthy, you were the one who came into her life demanding a change. She doesn't sound like the vampire in that situation.

I agree her habits could be seen as vampiric to you. The semantics of the word vampire when attached to a person upset me. Helping her kill the tobacco vampire in her life is a different story. Stab a stake in that heart brother!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!