I might be moving to Africa. Advice?
  • JahRagsJahRags
    Banned
    A good friend of mine just told me about a job opening in Cape Town, South Africa. The workplace is in a good neighburhood and pays approximately 9000 rand a month. I have no idea how this compares to my current salary, taking cost of living into account. I will also get a free gym membership with some spa-/massage privileges. My new employer will hook me up with a place to live for the first three months, and more importantly, they will get me a work visa. To me, this sounds amazing, but I have to be honest - I have absolutely no idea if any of this even makes sense.

Do any of you have any experience with Cape Town, or South Africa in general? Anything you feel like I should know?

Also: I should point out that I haven't even applied for the position yet, though my friend tells me she's certain I'll get it. Crossing my fingers.
    http://pinealretina.tumblr.com - Get your bottle homie, po' some out.
  • A friend who has lived everywhere and has traveled the world many times over says Cape Town is the greatest city he's ever been to. Amazingly hot girls, beautiful scenery, weather, great quality of life. Go. You'll remember it fondly for the rest of your life. Don't turn this down. Go.
    Post edited by kulashaker at 2012-05-21 04:56:01
    Am I Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.
  • Sounds like a fucking dream! Do it!
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I will meet you there." Rumi
  • zachszachs
    Hrair
    Go for it man! Sounds like an amazing experience. Best of luck with the application.
  • redacted
    Post edited by Jungle_Fresh at 2014-05-13 01:18:59
  • try to avoid hippos.
  • My only advice....wrap it up.
  • @ItsLeeOwen OH, GOD. AIDS HIPPOS
  • @ItsLeeOwen OH, GOD. AIDS HIPPOS

Hippos fucking hate condoms.

• JahRagsJahRags
    Banned
    Thank you for the encouragement, guys. I'm applying, and if I get the job, I'm going. I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about this, but I find that I'm actually more nervous about letting the opportunity slip. I guess that's a good sign.

Also, steering clear of condom hating AIDS hippos (the final boss of Africa?)
    Post edited by JahRags at 2012-05-22 07:31:07
  • JahRagsJahRags
    Banned

Totally go for it bro. But is there any chance of this being a scam some how? Just make sure its legit before making any major decisions.

Very relevant question. The only verification I have is the word of a friend of a friend. Said person is employed in the same kind of position I am applying for, and she says loves it. Also, from my (farly brief) communication with the company, I am left with the impression that this is genuine.
  • JahRagsJahRags
    Banned
    Your screen name being @jungle_fresh just blew my mind, haha.
  • Totally go for it bro. But is there any chance of this being a scam some how? Just make sure its legit before making any major decisions.

let him go, we can't baby him forever, its time for him to strike off on his own

Getting scammed into moving to Africa would be a pretty nice story, heck, it could probably cover more than 1 chapter in your eventual autobiography.

• Good Luck. I had some visa problems, getting into SA for a 7 month stay, about 15 years ago. Cape Town was great, but there are a fuckton of sharks off the beaches there, so there's that.
    Does it have Mrs. Piggy? Does it have a clown? Then why is it funny?
  • I have many friends and family that live in Cape Town, I'm from Africa myself originally from Zimbabwe, now living in Australia and no I'm not a black man with a huge dick in case you were wondering. Cape Town is an amazing city, I would love to live there myself.

The poverty is however incredibly bad, you WILL have the occasional unemployed homeless man asking you for cash almost everyday, I think there are plenty of junkies too. If you can handle the poverty (which many people can over there) then you should have no problems. Don't start giving money to homeless people, you will be broke by the end of your first week there, if your a good person the temptation is hard but you must find other means to help improve the appalling living conditions that many people face in South Africa.

I can give you a couple of contacts of very close friends who live in Cape Town who help Zimbabwean refugees and other poverty stricken families in Cape Town, they are fucking awesome guys to drink with and they will be in tune with "Trussell" mindset in helping humanities growth as a species.
    No one likes the guy at the party who tells everyone the whole thing is running on blood. - Rokazulu
  • -
    Post edited by wolvesatmydoor at 2012-09-22 16:00:22
  • JahRagsJahRags
    Banned
    Dude, that's awesome! I'll be sure to ask for their contact info if i get the job. Thank you.

The last few days, my ego has been a bit freaked out, and it's really kind of fun to look at it objectively. I mean, i catch myself making excuses for not going. It's like babysitting a kid, and finding that he trashed the living room while you were in the kitchen. There's definitely a part of me that's scared to go.

But then again, recognizing that most of these fears are rooted in the ego kinda takes the edge off. Also, it tells me I might grow from this experience. I've been trying to get more balanced in my own company for a while now, and this might be a big step in a good direction.

I have decided to go if I get the chance. And right now, I actually believe that I will. And I feel it's important not to ignore all of the resistance i am experiencing right now. I mean, a lot of it is love, not ego. I genuinely love the people in my life, and imagining an existance that far removed from them is painful. Still, that pain only tells of how fortunate i am. And it would be disrespectful to whatever this human experience is if I let myself be held back by the comfort my luck has granted me.

You guys are awesome, thanks for your replies. It's really nice to have some positivity to balance out the worst case scenario trip that my ego starts up when I'm not paying attention.
  • zachszachs
    Hrair
    @jahrags thanks for being so clear and objective with all the ego stuff... very interesting to read, and I've realized I've had some similar ego battles in my life.

I'm sending out some positive energy through the multiverse and over to you.. i'm pulling for this trip to happen. It seems like you would really get something special out of it.
  • you got my vote dude....do it!
  • I don't live too far from Cape Town; it's a great city-very different from the rest of SA, in that's far more liberal. It's the only Democratic Alliance (the ANC's main opposition) controlled province too. R9000 isn't a lot in CT but with discipline you'll survive. Good luck, man.
  • Don't

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!