The Razor's Edge, by W. Somerset Maugham
  • OldakOldak
    Hrair
    The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over ;
    thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.
    - KATHA-UPANISHAD

Has anyone read The Razor's Edge, by W. Somerset Maugham? It is about a young man who, upon returning to America after serving as a pilot in WWI, finds himself lost. The man eventually heads to India and spends time in an ashram.

The book was released in 1944, and so is an early-ish example of 20th Century Western Indomania.

Stephen Batchelor discusses the book in his article Existence, Enlightenment and Suicide: The Dilemma of Ñāṇavīra Thera, which is where I came across it. Batchelor thinks that Maugham's representation of the Indian spiritual journey is Romanticist and shallow, though his synopsis was enough to recommend it to me.
  • YOU
    Hrair
    Post edited by YOU at 2014-07-17 12:19:37
  • I enjoyed it. It isn't a remarkably well-written book and it is kind of predictable and shallow (I don't remember many details about what insights he learned, just a general, flowery change when he comes back) but it was engaging and the characters were all well-defined. Enjoyable and entertaining, maybe more so for Americans feeling the same way now.
  • I had to read it for my a highschool English class, and I really enjoyed it because I identify so much with Larry's search. I saw both adaptations of the movie as well. I actually enjoyed the 1946 version better.
    एकम् सत् विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति
    That which exists is One, but sages call it by various names.
  • So flipping amazing. If you like The Razor's Edge, you might also want to check out Of Human Bondage.
  • I'm reading it now and loving it.
  • People who enjoy The Razor's Edge would probably enjoy Lost Horizon as well, although it is a bit more fantastical.
  • gal9000 said:

So flipping amazing. If you like The Razor's Edge, you might also want to check out Of Human Bondage.

i 2nd that
    "Michael Jordan plays ball, Charles Manson kills people, I talk."
  • Gal 9000 I Loved both books! agreed
  • the movie blew my mind in its examination of relationships with women. the girl who gave up on him ended up with a nutcase who laid in bed all day and he ended up with a fun girl with social problems - who eventually exposes herself.

in the grand scheme that has little to do with the movie.
  • I love that it was a passion project for Bill Murray. What an actor. What a great movie. I adore Theresa Russell. And thanks for the reminder to get the book.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!