PEX Summer Festival / Escape Pod Earth
  • piezopiezo
    Ternary
    Has anyone been to the past PEX Summer Festivals? Anyone planning on going this year?

http://www.pexsummerfestival.com/

I have a couple close friends who have been going for years, but for one reason or another I've never made it. This year, my soon to be wife and I are definitely going. Those friends got approved to do an installation this year, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it and experiencing this festival.

Edited to better reflect subject in title.
    Post edited by piezo at 2012-06-25 13:33:43
  • piezopiezo
    Ternary
    This weekend, I had the pleasure of getting a sneak preview of Escape Pod Earth, which is an art installation by my friends Alex Kane and Eriq Ellixson. This thing is mind blowing.

Escape Pod Earth is a 12 foot tall geodesic sphere. The top half has projection screens stretched all over it. There are a ton of LED strips around the circumference, and a spiral around the apex. There is a 10 foot trampoline tarp stretched about a third of the way up so that you can climb in and become totally immersed in the experience.

They've been working on this thing for months. On Saturday they did a dry run of setting it up. It took 9 hours to put together.

Here's a picture of it in the afternoon, mid-building:

Here is a video of the outside. The projections weren't quite aligned yet, but it gives you a pretty good idea of how neat this thing is gonna be:

Finally, here is a video taken from inside the sphere:

I can't wait for this weekend!
  • piezopiezo
    Ternary
    Oh wow, Alex made a better video than both of mine.

Post edited by piezo at 2012-06-25 21:47:11

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!