Feature Requests
  • Stig_AdminStig_Admin
    Black Rabbit of Inlé
    Hey! Tell us what you'd like to see in the forum. No guarantees we'll implement it, but at the very least we want to hear it.
    I make websites sometimes, view my portfolio at Chromadile.com
  • I have a few suggestions...

a like feature on posts, no rep system behind it, so no point scoring.

possibly a live chat for purple popes? IRC? or similar?

small txt sigs?

thread creators name beside the thread in the board menu, rather than last poster.

Ummm i'm sure i'll think of more soon. :)
    "I got stuck in a cravarse on the moun-tain."

I like it, and maybe a sort by "like" count option.

Shoutbox is a forum version of IRC that works on most blog-based layouts/forums.

I'm not sure if it's possible (with simple html). But I think leniency in the allowed html could make for some way interesting posts. Backgrounds, Frames, Borders, Headers, Paragraph to right/left of image (rather than below/above only).

Little mini-webpages as posts would be fun, and could be really interesting.
    “Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” -Albert Einstein
  • Mobile friendly theme? I know it's a pain in the ass to incorporate it later, but while the board is under heavy construction...
  • M0XIE said:

Mobile friendly theme? I know it's a pain in the ass to incorporate it later, but while the board is under heavy construction...

I'm on the mobile theme now.

• I like it, and maybe a sort by "like" count option.

So like reddit? that could be interesting.
  • Keep it weird looking.
  • Could you have more threads listed per page. We already have threads getting buried 6 pages deep and this forum is only barely in its infancy.

Also a search function would be nice.
  • A reddit-esque upvote feature sounds awesome. How about a way to differentiate between nice people and assholes? Or how about a basic rep system?
  • Im not forum savvy enough to add any features, but from experience on the RB, I would have to say the rep system doesn't work as intended. Some people won't post something or maybe agree with things they wouldn't normally to protect a meaningless point system, and assholes will come out of the woodwork to achieve max negs.

If something like that was implemented, I would have to ask that it be made public, if only to prevent many threads crying about someone neg'ing someone or other such drama.
    Few men are willing to brave the disapproval of their fellows, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of their society. Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality of those who seek to change a world which yields most painfully to change. -RFK
  • hey stig, great job on the website, much appreciated sir.

what's the 'visits' count on your profile mean?
    Post edited by wolfmanalpha at 2012-02-25 04:10:08
  • If you give in to the requests of a "holding cell" (pink room) it should be called FEMA Camp
    “Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” -Albert Einstein
  • A poll feature. It would be great to poll the board in the first post of a thread. So we know what kind of degenerates lurk in this forum, myself included.
  • 1) Chat room.

2) Also please change the text in code elements to something more readable. How about green text on a black background.
    ^-What that says: Also please change the text in code elements to something more readable. How about green text on a black background.

3) It would also be neat if you could make it so you can add friends, then have some type of view where you can see their posts or the threads they've been posting in.

4) I don't know if this would be too intensive server side, but I like how the Reddit enhancement suite shows you the net upvotes (+1) and downvotes (-1) you've given to a person. Maybe instead of a public "karma" system, a la reddit, you could have a personalized tabulation system that only you can see.

I have a feeling this community is going to be small for at least several years, so I think negative feedback (i.e. downvotes) won't benefit, and may possibly hurt the community. I think positive feedback on posts, with publicly viewable tabulations, may encourage people to generate more content, but would also increased "noise". I think in a couple years when there's more "noise" a weighted negative feedback system may be useful, as well as maybe a tiered forum system. But we, as a community, can face and research that problem together.

5) I forget that besides being a community of like minded people this is a forum for a podcast. If I stumble across some really cool shit, post it on here and it get some attention, I'd like for there to be some explicit mechanism so it would get to Duncan. Then, if he chose, he could give his views on it during the next podcast, or he could possibly riff on the subject (fresh?) as a mini-podcast (5-15 minutes) in between shows.

Sorry this is getting long winded, last suggestion:
    6) Some type of wiki or an archive of the "best of". Community recommended media, elaborate philosophical discussions, community generated content, links to notable people / friends of the show. Something so that the gems of community are saved for future generations.
    Post edited by withMetta at 2012-02-25 13:23:47
    May all beings be free from harm.
  • I think the negs on the RB are probably overused and make for a hostile environment but a positive 'props' system would be good. I'm of the opinion that if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all. Positive energy will be rewarded with more positivity. Negativity should be avoided.
  • Keep it weird looking.

i agree completely
    Nong
  • Stig_AdminStig_Admin
    Black Rabbit of Inlé
    My immediate worry with that kind of system is that people will start pandering for "likes".

A karma system makes sense on reddit because that's how reddit has chosen to value posts, burying low-karma and showcasing high-karma. But what I keep seeing here is a kind of nebulous "like" system that doesn't affect anything. If the likes don't affect anything then they basically exist to rank users, and if reddit has shown us anything it's that people will use any quantitative metric to prove how much cooler they are than others.

That just sounds crappy to me.
  • What if there was no like system but there was a 'hate' system. Flip the switch!
  • Stig_AdminStig_Admin
    Black Rabbit of Inlé

I'm not sure if it's possible (with simple html). But I think leniency in the allowed html could make for some way interesting posts. Backgrounds, Frames, Borders, Headers, Paragraph to right/left of image (rather than below/above only).

Little mini-webpages as posts would be fun, and could be really interesting.

I'm sorry man, but absolutely not. Apart from presenting huge security issues if it caught on that kind of system would make the forum unreadable.

I know you're probably imagining something very subdued and beautiful, but we know what the internet looks like when people are given free reign to experiment with images and code: MySpace.
  • Stig_AdminStig_Admin
    Black Rabbit of Inlé
    withMetta said:

1) Chat room.

2) Also please change the text in code elements to something more readable. How about green text on a black background.
    ^-What that says: Also please change the text in code elements to something more readable. How about green text on a black background.

3) It would also be neat if you could make it so you can add friends, then have some type of view where you can see their posts or the threads they've been posting in.

4) I don't know if this would be too intensive server side, but I like how the Reddit enhancement suite shows you the net upvotes (+1) and downvotes (-1) you've given to a person. Maybe instead of a public "karma" system, a la reddit, you could have a personalized tabulation system that only you can see.

I have a feeling this community is going to be small for at least several years, so I think negative feedback (i.e. downvotes) won't benefit, and may possibly hurt the community. I think positive feedback on posts, with publicly viewable tabulations, may encourage people to generate more content, but would also increased "noise". I think in a couple years when there's more "noise" a weighted negative feedback system may be useful, as well as maybe a tiered forum system. But we, as a community, can face and research that problem together.

5) I forget that besides being a community of like minded people this is a forum for a podcast. If I stumble across some really cool shit, post it on here and it get some attention, I'd like for there to be some explicit mechanism so it would get to Duncan. Then, if he chose, he could give his views on it during the next podcast, or he could possibly riff on the subject (fresh?) as a mini-podcast (5-15 minutes) in between shows.

Sorry this is getting long winded, last suggestion:
    6) Some type of wiki or an archive of the "best of". Community recommended media, elaborate philosophical discussions, community generated content, links to notable people / friends of the show. Something so that the gems of community are saved for future generations.

Let's do it point by point!

1.) I'm not big on integrating a chat room/shoutbox/whatever into the forum. I find those embedded things kind of annoying. But if you guys want to start an IRC chat somewhere I'm more than happy to advertise it for you.

2.) No problem! Fixed it, refresh if you're still seeing the yellow (I swear, the guy who made DarkMist didn't even bother to touch half of the forum CSS).

3.) You can see a person's comments/discussions on their profile page, but I'll look into adding a friends system.

4.) See previous post.

5.) There's actually a contact form on the website-proper that goes straight to Duncan. We even have a PO Box listed there.

6.) Still waiting on Duncan to decide what kinds of categories he wants, I'll run this by him.
    Post edited by Stig_Admin at 2012-02-25 14:52:08
  • Having the name of the thread starter listed with the thread title would be really nice.
    Post edited by piezo at 2012-02-25 15:01:04
  • How about a preview feature that allows you to hover over the thread title and see the first few lines of the OP. Sometimes thread titles can be pretty vague.
  • How about a preview feature that allows you to hover over the thread title and see the first few lines of the OP. Sometimes thread titles can be pretty vague.

seconded
  • I guess this slimmed down forum style has probably been chosen intentionally but I believe most people prefer the more popular phpbb kind of forum style and lay out.
  • shikoku said:

I guess this slimmed down forum style has probably been chosen intentionally but I believe most people prefer the more popular phpbb kind of forum style and lay out.

I think they're going for smartphone/tablet friendly.
  • MySpace.

Ew. I guess that much banning and post deletion is a lot to expect. It would be fun though. How about just putting text to the right/left of images?
  • First of all I want to say that you nailed the color theme, it's absolutely perfect for the eyes.

I think a post count, that you can see "posts: x" next to the name would be super-cool, it might make people want to make more posts, but it might create a "im better than you because of my post count" scenario - but I think it would be worth trying out or something.
    Also, adding friends would be great!
    Just wanted to get that out there.
    Stig, you're awesome!
    Call me for a fun time. (703) 697-1776
  • No offense to anyone using an image signature, but it is a negative feature in my personal opinion. It breaks the flow of the conversation when reading a thread.
  • ^^^^
    same here. blocked 'em. just the pictures though, I like the text sigs.

I've always liked those custom titles under a users name. Sometimes they're based on post count, (rogan crucible) which I don't think is a good idea, I prefer ones given as nicknames, as we all show different personalities here, and events happen.
    The way I've seen it work elsewhere is they can be requested (and denied if inappropriate) or freely given from admins/mods (within reason).
    Post edited by DrStrib at 2012-02-26 12:12:55
    I measured my waistline in planck lengths and now I feel awful.
    photo tmp_824317984_zps500a3873.jpeg
    So what is really what, if the funk don't move your butt?
  • We have the option to block image sigs, if you dislike them, please take the time to disable them.

I personally love image sigs, because it gives the person some space to visually express themselves, in a way that is impossible with text.

Haters gonna hate, siggers gonna sig.

Stay smiling folks.
  • No hate Steve, just my opinion, I understand we differ in this and this cornucopia of diversity is what makes this forum so beautiful.
  • Sorry i didn't mean to say you were hating, just one of those stock responses that's been burnt into my memory bank.

Damn you youtube!

• u mad bro?

sorry.
  • Well played sir.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-02-26 14:01:03
  • I'm not sure if i've suggested this or not, I think i may of dreamt it.

anywho, a report feature on posts.

It will make it a lot easier and much more efficient when modding posts.

Cheers.
  • We have the option to block image sigs, if you dislike them, please take the time to disable them.

I personally love image sigs, because it gives the person some space to visually express themselves, in a way that is impossible with text.

Haters gonna hate, siggers gonna sig.

Stay smiling folks.

Last time I was on a forum (it was in 2009, not a very good one either) I rocked a pic sig and I forgot how much I liked having a pic sig, so after seeing yours I decided to make my own in a quick 5 mins. :3
    Thanks Steve!
    Call me for a fun time. (703) 697-1776
  • @DivineHabitatGandalf Glad to hear it brother!

For 5 minutes work, that's pretty awesome man!

I look fwd to seeing what you can do in the future :)

small txt sigs?

thread creators name beside the thread in the board menu, rather than last poster.

Ummm i'm sure i'll think of more soon. :)

I think the live chat would be cool.

• I have a question. Are those messages in the Activity section the same conversations we have in our Inboxes? If not, how do we post public messages in the Activity section?
  • Stig_AdminStig_Admin
    Black Rabbit of Inlé
    No, those are a different thing. When you message someone directly they're the only one who can see the message, what you see when someone clicks on your profile is more like a Facebook wall.
  • No, those are a different thing. When you message someone directly they're the only one who can see the message, what you see when someone clicks on your profile is more like a Facebook wall.

Ahh, thank you for clearing that up.
  • Banno said:

I think the live chat would be cool.

Come in! Tinychat.com/DTFH
    Post edited by usernames_are_hard at 2012-02-27 13:03:27
    Feel free to join some of us at http://tinychat.com/dtfh
  • I already mentioned it, but the ability to choose a different theme would be amazing. I don't know if this is a feature currently with Vanilla, maybe they'll update it in the future. You kinda get spoiled with vbulletin, a lot of people prefer a black on white color scheme to a white on black, easier on some people's eyes. I wish we had a theme that stretched out, I know that's asking a lot but that's how a ton of forums rock it now and it lets you see more stuff at once.

But beyond that, I'm loving the site. I posted on GameFAQs message boards for years, if I could handle that I can handle this. Keep the good work Stig, hope the server can handle the massive amount of traffic that will soon be coming. :D
    "Up above aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home of all these weird creatures that lock up their spirits, drill holes in themselves, and live for their secrets. They're all uptight" -Radiohead
  • IRC.
  • Subscribing to other members activity?
    If you see Buddha on the forum, ban him.
  • smartphone APP!! It'll get huge on itunes and expose more people to the goodness of DTFH
  • Hey Stig, I may be missing it but I don't think there's a navigation link from the forums to the main page.
    "Up above aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home of all these weird creatures that lock up their spirits, drill holes in themselves, and live for their secrets. They're all uptight" -Radiohead
  • free drinks?
    Post edited by Flesh_Gordon at 2012-12-17 00:28:47
  • Would love search.
    Rep thing is a bullie's paradise. Pretty much why I quit RB.
    .Awesome work so far dudes.
    Namo Amituofo
  • Maybe we could have a couple more categories?

One dedicated to The Arts where we can share our art and music, and also discuss art and music and such that we like.

One dedicated to The Body where we can discuss exercise and athletics that we watch and participate in.
    I measured my waistline in planck lengths and now I feel awful.
    photo tmp_824317984_zps500a3873.jpeg
    So what is really what, if the funk don't move your butt?
  • How about a post category called 'meetup' or 'local' or 'pope finger' or something like that.

and then people in the same area who want to meet up and kill vampires together can post their stuff there.
    Mr. Takahashi would like to see you all in his office now

sitaramdas.com
    @sitaramdas

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!