Prometheus (movie) SPOILER ALERT!
  • @RyanT
    But how many different ways can you say you didn't like something? I'm in no way opposed to voicing opinions of both sides but eventually you're just re-treading the same old ground and I find that counterproductive, that's all. I'm not upset, just a little confused.
    The hands of the many must join as one and together we'll cross the river.
  • so am I..
    Traveling through the Multiverse
  • @RyanT

RyanT said:

I would suggest watching Dogtooth or Enter the void or anything Gasper Noe has done. Or any terrence malick film or lars von trier film or especially any STANLEY KUBRICK film. I can't stand films like Prometheus.

How does this help? My point is about opinions. I don't care if people liked or hated it, I just don't care to read someone's opinion about it. I already have my own, and if I felt like reading someone else's, I'd go to a movie review website that I trusted.

You also posted this: "edit- I can't believe all the positive reviews of this garbage film."
    Even if I thought some random person's opinion was worth reading, you're not even commenting directly on the quality of the film. You're just declaring how perplexed you are that people enjoyed something that you did not.

"O and the fact that Prometheus wasn't a prequel makes the film 10 times worse!"

How? Are you trolling? You realize that if your make an assertion (about anything) that it helps to clarify why you think that? There's no context for random jibber-jabber.

If you think there's plot holes, that's cool, but explain why. I actually got a lot more out reading people's comments explaining why they thought the movie was rubbish than the one's just reporting simply that they liked it. If you want an opinion with nothing to support it, I thought Dogtooth sucked hard, bruh.
    Post edited by Klorptar at 2012-06-11 03:32:42
    The future ahead of us is beyond our wildest imaginings. It can't be any other way. Business as usual is off the menu.
  • The hands of the many must join as one and together we'll cross the river.
  • lol You thought Dogtooth sucked, and you liked Prometheus... right 'bruh' I see your taste in film now and understand why you like films like Prometheus. I will say nothing more. good bye!
    Traveling through the Multiverse
  • Alien is one of my favorite movies of all time @Kloptar and @Pragmagic, I even clapped for Prometheus at the end. So it pains me to say some parts of Prometheus are just terrible. The geographer and the guy he got lost with were pointless additions to the movie. Going in and out, and in and out of the caves was also a poor decision, if the crew feels comfortable enough to fuck next to a creepy alien tomb, how is the audience supposed to feel suspense? There are also twice as many people as there were in alien and the script is half the quality. Elizabeth Shaw's boyfriend sucked the energy out of every scene he was in. And the ending, I would understand if shaw sent a ship full of that biological weapon to the engineer's homeworld, but why does she think she'll be able to communicate and reason with them after the shit-storm she's seen?

I do think the good things outweigh the bad things. What I love about prometheus is how open for interpretation it is. The "good morning David" part is a badass reference to 2001. The medi pod scene will be burned into my brain forever with it's glory. The cast excluding the boyfriend was great, Noomi Rapace, Fassbender, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron in the same movie? Guy Pearce in old man makeup as Weyland was unnecessary. The themes about mythology were evocative and thought provoking.

People should try and understand who Ridley Scott is and the types of movies he does.
    Post edited by Nater at 2012-06-11 03:43:41
  • @Nater
    Pretty much dude, that sums it up nicely. I agree with 99% of your comments but I was super attracted to the boyfriend so I was totally blinded to his actual performance quality. Anyway, if Scott delivers on his idea of two more movies I'm totally down with that because I still found Prometheus to be entertaining as fuck, just lacking the brilliance of Alien.
    Post edited by Pragmagic at 2012-06-11 03:52:54
    The hands of the many must join as one and together we'll cross the river.
  • Pragmagic said:

@Nater
    Pretty much dude, that sums it up nicely. I agree with 99% of your comments but I was super attracted to the boyfriend so I was totally blinded to his actual performance quality. Anyway, I read somewhere in this thread that there is a brilliant movie somewhere in Prometheus, it was just obscured by a bunch of problems. Ah well, if Scott delivers on his idea of two more movies I'm totally down with that because I still found Prometheus to be entertaining as fuck, just lacking the brilliance of Alien.

+1
  • @ryant

Hey man I tried to discuss plot-hole fillers with you but got no response. Maybe if we plugged some of those holes you'd like the film a little better no? Or would you rather hate the movie?
    We elongate our Maaans 'round these parts.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    Guys, this movie was a prequel to Starship Troopers which was the sequel to Robocop which was a mequel to Flskwugc,pe. Seriously though, the more i think about it, I had a good time. Any story with giant blue gods/aliens in it, ima watch. #DrManhattan #FantasticPlanet #Krishna
  • @donut1005 Posted this earlier, but I thought it did a good job filling in the holes for me. He said it was "Jesusy," but it's Jesusy in the way that, in Scott's words, Jesus was like an emissary for the aliens to Earth. They got pretty cheesed when they killed him. And like I said earlier, the cross isn't solely a christian symbol.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

At first I was disappointed in the movie, but this made me want to give it another viewing.
    The future ahead of us is beyond our wildest imaginings. It can't be any other way. Business as usual is off the menu.
  • Wasn't Elizabeth Shaw the virgin Mary? She had an immaculate conception, for crying out loud.

I really wanted to like Prometheus, I just couldn't. There were some really bad continuity problems that were clearly not budget problems. It seemed hastily written and edited, I felt a bunch of it must have been cut out and it had really unfortunate cliché eyeroll moments... a lot of them. I can give you a detailed list, but there's no need to unless people are willing to discuss the flaws of the film in more depth. I would watch it again as a download for the visual effects, perhaps.
    "the idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving" - Boat Car Guy
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    Don't forget it also has symbiotic properties, as displayed in the Prometheus prequel: Spider-man 3.
    Post edited by KHAN at 2012-06-11 13:11:38
  • Amazing movie despite the shitty jockish dialogue.
    When in doubt zoom out
  • I'm not sure but I think @RyanT may have not liked the movie... If only he had told us why...
    Gargoyles, garglin' oil
  • optimisto said:

Amazing movie despite the shitty jockish dialogue.

"Quit your grinnin, and drop your linen." - Hicks, Aliens.

• I really liked this movie and part of it may be that I didn't let the plot concern me too much. I think my favorite part of the movie is how the sexual and religious overtones collide. The main character female has her cross necklace taken, and so from that point forward her symbol of one faith is gone, leaving only the idea that those large white dudes engineered humans. So that one remaining bald dude may as well be all that is god to her. THe aliens that fuck peoples faces are really accentuated by the way the computer animation shows the tentacles going down these peoples throats like big pale dicks. just getting str8 up raped yo,.. and so when the main character woman comes back to that ship at the end and that monster comes out of the door, a mass of phallic cock like tentacles ready to rape and nasty teeth filled vagina dentata mouths, the utter essence of all that is rape and fuckery in the film in space octopus form, and it comes down on what may be a symbol of god to people, god is raped and fucked to death to his creations will so she may survive. that part really just made me love the movie.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    There was a lot of mouth rape in the movie.
  • hmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm
  • http://io9.com/5917448/all-of-your-lingering-prometheus-questions-answered

Gonna have to wait for the directors cut for those extra scenes, I guess.
  • It just makes me sad that people can't enjoy open ended films. I felt the dialogue was lacking, but all the visual information is there for you to come to your own conclusions.

I'm pretty sure this is how people reacted when Blade Runner came out, and look at that film now... It influenced nearly EVERYTHING that came after.
  • Director's cut my ass, do you know how many Blade Runner cuts there are? Kingdom of Heaven wasn't even a good movie until he released the director's cut. I liked prometheus for what it was, I'm not waiting ten years to find out Charlize is a robot.
  • @ItsLeeOwen As soon as they took their helmets off all I could think was "Oh god, what about airborne viruses!"

I was thinking the same thing.
  • After watching the film and reading a some stuff, thanks to you fellow family members. I conclude that the visual effect of the movie was very cool and enjoyable. And the technology was pretty impressive too. For some unknowns reasons I feel like the soundtrack consisted of the same soundtrack on repeat. I actually love the end of the movie. However I found some of the dialogue lacking deep. That been say I have definitely feel the Ridley Scott tone of the movie. But there was some major plot hole in my opinion. From my understanding of how the hollywood industry work i was not surprise.

I have a thesis, Ridley Scott is a brillant guy and I am pretty sure that the movie was 95% is work. The other 5% was crappy peoples changing the script and toning it down a little. But, what if Ridley Scott actually predict the possibles changes in his original script and "hides" elements to let's peoples like us figure out. So because of that we have a movie that reach a bigger audience and spread the idea of "ancient aliens" to peoples who have never heard of it and who otherwise have not believe or have an open minded about it.

So yes there is plots holes, but in the end it's a win-win because it's a mainstream movie more people will watch it and then be impregnate with the idea than if if was a total Ridley Scott SciFi movie, and the more curious SciFi peoples will actually try understand why there was plots holes and try to uncover what was the real script of the movie.

And I also hope to see a director cut really soon.
  • guestwho said:

After watching the film and reading a some stuff, thanks to you fellow family members. I conclude that the visual effect of the movie was very cool and enjoyable. And the technology was pretty impressive too. For some unknowns reasons I feel like the soundtrack consisted of the same soundtrack on repeat. I actually love the end of the movie. However I found some of the dialogue lacking deep. That been say I have definitely feel the Ridley Scott tone of the movie. But there was some major plot hole in my opinion. From my understanding of how the hollywood industry work i was not surprise.

I have a thesis, Ridley Scott is a brillant guy and I am pretty sure that the movie was 95% is work. The other 5% was crappy peoples changing the script and toning it down a little. But, what if Ridley Scott actually predict the possibles changes in his original script and "hides" elements to let's peoples like us figure out. So because of that we have a movie that reach a bigger audience and spread the idea of "ancient aliens" to peoples who have never heard of it and who otherwise have not believe or have an open minded about it.

So yes there is plots holes, but in the end it's a win-win because it's a mainstream movie more people will watch it and then be impregnate with the idea than if if was a total Ridley Scott SciFi movie, and the more curious SciFi peoples will actually try understand why there was plots holes and try to uncover what was the real script of the movie.

And I also hope to see a director cut really soon.

I feel as though you hit the nail on the head. I loved the movie, btw.
  • Some movie are like wine the more you taste them, the more you learn to appreciate them in all of theirs subtlety and flavour...
  • It wasn't the open-endedness that bothered me about this film... if it had only been that, it would have been my fave of the year. But it was wanting in so, so many ways that I understood how my friend felt when she went to see Passion Of The Christ on opening weekend... ripped off. It should have been so much more... it promised more.
    "the idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving" - Boat Car Guy
  • @bella what exactly did you like. I understand that some of the dialogue was pretty shitty, but I don't really see the continuity problems. I've read a lot about it since I saw it (I was pretty disappointed), and it seems to be more cohesive than I originally thought. Going to see it again tonight and see if it still sucks.
  • Just saw the movie; thought it was entertaining. I agree with the discontentment about the plot holes, but maybe there is more to it. Off the top of my head right now, *SPOILER* regarding the reason for the engineers desire to destroy humanity, is it a coincidence that the outbreak at the facility and the resulting lockdown that decapitated the first engineers found body is carbon-dated to have taken place 2000 years ago, roughly coinciding with the earthly inception of Christianity? It seems that the ancient human civilizations (going along with the plot) up until that point are depicted as worshipping and serving the engineers. Would humans destroy androids that served something other than humans, and is that not why they were created in the film?*/SPOILER*
  • @Klorptar *spoilers* Maybe I'll have to see it again to make sure, but in the beginning Charlize's character has completely bleached blonde hair right to the roots. Halfway through the movie, she's got dark roots. It's been less than a week at that point. Maybe it was the lighting? But that really bothered me given that so much money was spent on animating holograms... you have to get the basics right, first! At another point, Noomi's character slips on gravel on metal and wipes out. Then the very next moment, she jumps a crevasse and successfully holds onto the edge and pulls herself up even though it's the same surface she was just unable to keep her footing on. And just so many cliches. Certain ones that should be banned from movies unless you are doing a comedy, like "nooo/fade out". Then there was the nonsensical business of the running holograms... where did those come from? It wasn't the engineers that recorded them, was it? Was it ghosts? I'm ok with most of the other unanswered questions, but that one distracted me from the plot. Character writing was... weak. There were weird things with the editing that would have made the film make more sense if only the order had been altered (I'm thinking of the bit with the rolling ship now).

While better in a lot of ways it was not unlike watching Armageddon for me I rolled my eyes so much (but I was still captivated in parts, too.)

I enjoyed Avatar more than Prometheus, and I agree with the criticisms of that movie, too.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    @bella Don't forget she did all that right after a C-section. There were staples holding her lower abdomen closed.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    Sorry, I forgot Prometheus was a sequel to Wolverine.
  • Engineers = Yaweh - the God from the Old Testament, wrathful, scornful, etc.

Humans = Soldiers of Fate

David is the second coming of Christ. Dies and is resurrected at the hands of his Mother's father.

The female doctor is mary Magdalene who prostitutes herself unknowingly and gets baptized (cesserian )
    When in doubt zoom out
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    No wonder the script feels tired and cliche, they used a 2000 year old story line!
  • @KHAN That story line is a lot older than 2000 years. LuLz.

@bella I saw it again tonight. You're right about a lot of the cliches, but some of the stuff like the holograms could be explained. David is interacting with that control surface, and he seems to activate it, then the holograms start. It could have been the equivalent of a CCTV type thing. With sci-fi, I'm perfectly willing to find ways to fill technological leaps.

@Splendorsolis go back and read the blog someone posted earlier. i also reposted it. After watching the movie again with that in mind, it made much more sense. Yes, yes. 2000 years, Jesus etc. The black goo is also responding directly to the humans, which explains why it had a different effect.
    Post edited by Klorptar at 2012-06-12 10:59:39
  • I can't beleive the positive reviews this is getting. I was very excited about this film and it ended up being one of the biggest disappointments in quite sometime.

If you listen to Opie and Anthony, Anthony gives a pretty spot on review. I thought the script was incredibily weak considering the framework it had to work in. The acting was terrible, and the film was horribly miscast. Let's face Charlize Theron is no Sigorny Weaver.

The movie was filled with tons of "wtf" moments where you're like, "why is he doing that?" Example being (spoiler here) when the geologist and the biologist are stuck in the ship and they have just come across the pile of dead bodies. They are freaking out when the captain tells them there's a lifeform in the ship, yet then when they find it, the biolgist, for some completely unknown reason, thinks the thing is completely harmless and he should approach it like it's some lost lovable dog.

Also, why the fuck did the geologist dude turn into a zombie, how does that make sense?

I felt the whole script from top top bottom was completely weak. In sci-fi there is obviously a level of suspended belief, but this shouldn't be accepted as soon as it transcends the subject matter and just becomes bad writing. The special effects, photography, art direction, and the guy who played the robot saved this movie from being average at best to a straight up bad movie.

I am a big fan of the first Alien and really wanted to like this movie, but I just didn't.

I just watched the film yesturday and loved it. I disagree with most critcisms everyone on here has pointed out. Especially a radio personality who makes fun of most things and says things just to get a reaction. I think its funny nobody mentioned the biggest goof which is noomi repace wearing gloves in one scene while she is outside running, next camera angle she is not wearing gloves, and the followong camera angle she is wearing gloves again.

On the criticism that charlize theron is not sigorny weaver all I have to say is no shit she is not the main charactor! Way to point out the obvious. She has a supporting role.

On the plot holes of the film i have some sad news for everyone. Every movie has plot holes, if you do not want plot holes read a good book. Also, it's a science FICTION movie. With a good science fiction movie lots of holes and parts of the story have to be left to wonder.

Addressing the geologist turning into a zombie maybe something symbiotic took his body over and was controling it who knows its SCIENCE FICTION!

Why the engineers would create life and then detroy it i think steven hawking says it best. "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."
    The bottom line is if you are a skeptic, you probably do not like most science fiction. Especially if faith is the theme of the movie.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    Just realized they took the "black goo" from x-files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_oil#Black_oil

It was revealed to be the "life force" of the alien colonists, which they seemingly used to reproduce their kind, as well as infect other alien races in order to conquer the universe.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    I think what made Alien effective was the simplicity of it. Prometheus had more opportunity to fuck things up. I agree that in comparison, Prometheus was more stimulating. I think Alien is more a horror/suspense movie set in space rather than a sci-fi movie.
  • Here another theory. In this movie we have at least 3 different life form. The engineers, the humans and the "aliens like creatures" but we also have the black goo. The black goo seem to be a kind of living dna/nano-bot machine capable of altering other dna. It's seem that it's programming only allow modification of dna because David did not get infected with it when he touch it. Ok, one thing that make me think is the painting on the wall when they first arrive in the cave. It's clearly show an alien queen of some sort and a human head. There at least 2 possibility. One is that the painting is alive and show the people in the room what they can do with the black goo. The second possibility is that is was painted by the engineers. If that was true then they know that the black goo have the power to either create human or aliens. Another piece of clue is they gave us hints that the moon was an military compound to manufacture biological weapons. Those for use either in a war against another race or for others purpose. If it's for a war against another race, then military theirs compound is not very protected or at least there not very much of protection left. There no lock on the door, no booby-traps, no failsafe, no guard, we see nothing that could be use to protect theirs research against an enemy. So with that in my mind, I conclude that this was not a military compound but more of a temple. And that the his purpose was unclear. Let me explain my thoughts. We are not sure if the opening scene take place on earth, and Ridley Scott himself say in a interview that it does matter. It could be any another planet. Near the end we learn that there is more that one ship. We don't know for sure if they all have the same design and purpose that the one that got destroy. But we can assume yes, because of the holographic map David discover and where we see many other earth like planets. That being say, it's seem that at least a fraction of the engineers decide to seed many planets, not just earth. We don't know for sure, but from what we can see of the map, the engineers seem to know exactly the planet that where seeded. If we assume that the other ships are the same as the ships we have seen, then we can assume that theirs purpose was to "destroy" not just earth but a bunch of others planets previously seeded too. So the same thing that went wrong on earth have gone wrong on the other planet. The event that took place 2000 in the past is still relevant but he does need to take place on earth. I hope that you have follow me until now. We know that the cave they discover his in fact a pyramid. My main theory his that it's was a religious temple. The engineers seem to have a cult around the black goo. But we don't really know how they create it. What if the black goo was in fact discover on this very moon by the engineers who after study his property have created a cult around it because it was in fact another conscious life form. A parasitic one of some sort, that infect is host and transform them into aliens. So the engineer instead of being use as hosts for the black goo, decide to use it to create many planets with many hosts for the black goo. So the engineer are in a way just farmer who cultivate human to be use by the black goo to transform in the final stage of alien.

Tell me what you think of that...
  • @khan goddamn man you are crusading against this flick hahaha
    Here we all feel alive, Here we use our minds, Let us form together, Use our minds, Recreate, redesign Here forever
    With a new world in our hands We will gain control
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    @solidus nah, I liked it.

If pissing off a waterfall is releasing DNA, I've populated close to 270 planets.
  • KHAN
    Owsla
    Hahaha @itsleeowen that's so hilarious!
  • Haha.

Junior!!! What have I told you about accepting drinks from strange robots?!?
  • @khan for sure haha I absolutely loved the movie, I thought it was amazing inside and out
    Here we all feel alive, Here we use our minds, Let us form together, Use our minds, Recreate, redesign Here forever
    With a new world in our hands We will gain control
  • What was the significance of Shaw carrying a head in a bag to the ship on two separate occasions in the film?
  • @Splendorsolis No clue about the head. I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it.

A couple of things I noticed after seeing it again that I don't believe anyone has mentioned: there are 17 members on the crew of the Prometheus. 17 is a significant number symbolically. Some say it represents the son of man, the holy spirit, or even the junction between the material world and the spiritual world

After the caesarean scene, Shaw stumbles in to the room where David is washing Weyland's feet as Jesus did to his disciples in John 13 (He said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. ")

I talked about the archetypal significance of Saturn earlier (death, judgment, karma, etc). In the scene where the storm is closing in and it shows the skull shaped rock outcropping , they're racing through the canyon towards the ship. In the background the ringed planet is seen in the background. They're moving towards it.

There's also something inscribed on the ring that Shaw got from Charlie. No idea what it said.

No idea what any of this means, but I imagine in a film as symbolically rich that they have some relevance.
  • @Klorptar

"I talked about the archetypal significance of Saturn earlier (death, judgment, karma, etc). In the scene where the storm is closing in and it shows the skull shaped rock outcropping , they're racing through the canyon towards the ship. In the background the ringed planet is seen in the background. They're moving towards it."

The Greek counterpart of Saturn is Cronus or Kronos, the lord of the titans. After Cronus ate all but one of his children (Zeus), five undigested children were subsequently regurgitated who, together with Zeus and a few titans (including Prometheus), waged war against Cronus. The war ended when Zeus decapitated Cronus, fulfilling the prophecy that his fathers (Ouranos or Uranus) decapitated head made to Cronus "What you have done to me your son will do to you".

Not sure how that relates to the film (if at all) but seems to include a lot of the aforementioned elements.
    Post edited by Splendorsolis at 2012-06-13 08:07:54

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!