When the tripping is over
  • The more I trip or hear about tripping the more I think about tripping. I think every day about how interesting all my trips have been compared to normal reality. But all trips are temporary. I can't ever say I feel satisfied after a trip, I always want more. Don't get me wrong I have the most euphoric fun time ever, but it always ends. Then once I have seen the light I never want to go back to normal life. It's like magic. Then they all say, well it's about what you learn from the trip, not the experience itself. I disagree, but at the same time I couldn't be high all the time even though life is pretty much always more fun when your tripping. Why do I need more and more drugs/trips to not be bored with reality? Being sober is so boring. I never feel like I have tripped "enough".
  • Maybe if I permatripped with acid I wouldn't have this problem. Actually that would suck.
  • i know that feeling. I wish it was practical for me to take mushrooms every couple of days. quite a dilemma.

Maybe you could try and think of smoking weed as a snack in between tripping sessions. Not quite tripping, but enough consciousness change to satisfy.

I would suggest reading 'Grist for the Mill' by Ram Dass. He discusses his struggle to stay on a spiritual high without lsd, which he could not figure out for a long time. I believe duncan has discussed it as well.
  • Huston Smith made a comment when being interviewed about the resurgence in psychedelic research in which he said compared society to a goblet which holds the wine of enlightenment and if it is not shaped properly the wine dribbles out. I think it may be helpful in your case to view your mind as this goblet. Examine what aspects of a psychedelic experience you believe are most beneficial and train them into yourself in the hope this reflects positively on those around you. As Ram Dass sometimes says, "Help other people by working on yourself and by working on yourself you'll help other people." Or something like that. Hope that helps some.
  • orgoneorgone
    Vampire
    dmtzen said:

I never feel like I have tripped "enough".

You will, I promise. So just have lots of fun until you have!

• My last mushroom trip, which was last summer left me with feeling very satisfied, and not craving more. Maybe it has to do with what substances you are using.

While coming down on my last trip, I realized that life is the most incredible psychedelic trip there is. In some sense, I feel like I never came down.
    こたえは いつも 私のむねに。
  • I realized that life is the most incredible psychedelic trip there is.

This is it for me. Life itself is a full blown psychedelic experience. The lsd, shrooms, etc. can train your mind to be conscious of the inherent psychedelia of life.

• The ability to let go of peak experiences (whether brought upon by psychedelics or meditation) is important to cultivate, nor should you fall in to the trap of believing this state of mind or that state of mind is separate or "the truth," as they are all points on a continuum of "it." Do not overvalue the higher-self at the expense of "base-state." It's difficult because there are no social structures to support the usage of psychedelics. I would recommend starting a disciplined meditation practice, I once heard a quote "psychedelics without meditation is like a boat without a rudder." It's tough to integrate experiences and be content.

Here is a related bit:

"It is not uncommon for Zen meditation students to keep in regular contact with their teachers concerning their spiritual progress. In this particular story, a Zen student has a penchant for writing to his teacher monthly with an account of his development. His letters began to take a mystical turn when he wrote, "I am experiencing a oneness with the universe." When his teacher received this letter, he merely glanced at it and threw it away. The next month the student wrote, "I have discovered that the divine is present in everything." His teacher used this letter to start his fire. A month later, the student had become even more ecstatic and wrote, "The mystery of the one and many has revealed itself to my wonderment," at which his teacher yawned. The following month, another letter arrived, which simply said, "There is no self, no one is born, and no one dies." At this his teacher threw his hands up in despair. After the fourth letter, the student stopped writing to his teacher, and after a year had passed, the teacher began to feel concerned and wrote to his student, asking to be kept informed of his spiritual progress. The student wrote back with the words "Who cares?" When the teacher read this, he smiled and said, "At last! He’s finally got it!"

At the end of the journey, you will be able to engage in everything on both the material and the spiritual planes without being tainted by them, because a spiritually realized being is no longer affected by the world in the same way an ordinary person is. Without going through the trials and tribulations of this journey, however, you will never find your home. You cannot simply stay at home and say, "I am already where I want to be." It is only the journey that makes you realize your true potential, and only at the end of the journey will you understand that the goal is not to separate from the starting point. That is the attainment of buddhahood, the natural state of your own mind."

Another:

"Sufi teachings distinguish between two kinds of experience:

* Hal, translated as “state”; a temporary state of intense feeling.
    * Maqam, translated as “station”; a relatively permanent orientation to life and the world.

The peak experience is a hal, beautiful and transcendent and awesome, to be sure, but temporary, and ultimately worthwhile only if it has good effects. What is more important is the maqam, the way you exist in the world. Are you loving and compassionate, helpful to others? Or are you arrogant and conceited, sure that you know the truth about life? Or are you merely dazed and bewildered? What is the quality of the inwardness that is private and uniquely yours? Are you peaceful and content? Invigorated? Bored and disgruntled? Afraid and angry?

As philosophers, lovers of wisdom, we must not take our peak experiences uncritically. We can enjoy them, but then we must think about them, see whether their intellectual content makes sense, and observe and evaluate the effects they have on our lives. Only then will we know whether they contain truth or not, and whether they are good guides for living."

A few more:

(this is in relation to the hesitation to teach direct realization of the ground state because of the false conclusion that may be had)

"Someone could be taught about the ground consciousness and then conclude, "that ground consciousness is the self," which would be a mistake

"realizations are like space-they never change and they will always remain. But experiences are like mists-they appear and then disappear"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!